Red Line

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Line

So im racing on the highway again like an idiot and its just so hard to keep ur eyes on the traffic, cops, radar detector and trying not to red line. The question is it really bad for the engine to let it hit the redline mark because ive done it prolly about 4-5 times now in the past 2 months. Manual btw
Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
not really ...i lived my life on the limiter in my car redline is a couple 100 short of the limiter
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced

You'll be fine the limiter cuts the power before you hurt anything. Unless you miss-shift....then you are screwed. go from 6th to 2nd at like 100 and BYE BYE motor
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced

You'll be fine the limiter cuts the power before you hurt anything. Unless you miss-shift....then you are screwed. go from 6th to 2nd at like 100 and BYE BYE motor
Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

man that lifts some guilt of my shoulders I feel like i abuse the shit outa it when i redline it. Ill try not to do it anymore but its good to know it doesnt hurt it either
Someone actually said its good for the car to let it upon up like that at high rpm's, is that also somewat true? lol
Old 01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've bounced off the limiter more times then I like to admit, but after awhile I've gotten better with getting close to redline without hitting the limiter...

It might not hurt anything, but I still don't like to hit the limiter....
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by XclsY
Someone actually said its good for the car to let it upon up like that at high rpm's, is that also somewat true? lol
I don't know if it's true, but I tend to agree...

It's called an "italian tuneup"...

The origin of the Italian tune up came from a story that
consistently went around in the days of carburetted Alfas,
Fiats, and exotics. These cars were meant to be revved, and
were jetted accordingly.

Invariably the cars would carbon up and would start running
rough. Taken to the dealer for service, the technicians would
simply take the cars out on the highway and rev the heck out of
them until the crud was blown out the tail pipe. They would
then charge the customer for a "tune up."

Thus the "Italian tune up" was born.

The term is now used for any assertive driving that is wide open enough to blow the crud out of a car's engine.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 6speedguy03
im pretty sure you cant shift into second going 100... i know reverse is blocked as soon as you start going, and you can only shift into 1st if your going 35 mph or less (not that you should ever downshift into first unless just putting it in gear coming to a stop with the clutch in...) i have not even tried to put the car into 2nd going any faster than about 45-50, which is pushing it, but im pretty sure at 100 you wont be able to downshift into 2nd...

Why would you anyway? in order to mishift from 6th to second you would have to pull the gear shifter to the left and pull down.

If im in 6th I usually just push the shifter back into the middle and pull it straight back down again... its spring loaded, so defaul position is 3rd push towards motor, and 4th pull back towards yourself.

Not only that it would be tough to miss gears that poorly, but usually you shouldnt dump the clutch, by the time you started to ease of the clutch you would feel your car completely jolt and slow down. you would know something was wrong.

Anywho, I agree though 6th to 2nd @ 100 (if the tranny will let you), and assuming you didnt know, and dumped the clutch... yep motor would be overheating and close to breaking something.

Red Line is necessary if you want to go as fast as the car will let you, your not going to hurt much unless your red lining on every shift and keeping the RPMS over 4000 ALL the time. I've driven all my cars hard when I want to, but easy when im just cruising. The motor wouldn't rev that high if you were not supposed to red line it... (every once in a while)

I find where you really lose power is keeping your traction while your shifting 1st to 2nd. Lots of wheel hop and loss of traction. (depends on your tires though) stock I had 235s and they always gave me trouble. went wider and its a whole different story
Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by XclsY
So im racing on the highway again like an idiot and its just so hard to keep ur eyes on the traffic, cops, radar detector and trying not to red line. The question is it really bad for the engine to let it hit the redline mark because ive done it prolly about 4-5 times now in the past 2 months. Manual btw
glad to see your staying safe by at least keeping an eye out. some people just pay no attention to whats going on around them while they are driving fast.

I always scan for the po, but more often than that, im looking for people that would pull out in front of me, or try to change lanes when im coming up on them fast...

You gotta love the 6spd, I could not be happier with the car, every time you feel like you need a thrill just unleash that drop into second and take off!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Got DEP???

It wouldn't hurt anything besides your racing experience...

The reason your tach bounces when you redline it is the Rev Limiter.
The purpose of the rev limiter is to stop the engine from over reving and causing internal damage to your engine. Therefore you will not hurt your engine by hitting the rev limiter, you'll just hurt your EGO when everyone looks at you funny...

Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I don't know if it's true, but I tend to agree...

It's called an "italian tuneup"...
This is very true, my ex's 06 Benz, she drives like a granny, and guess what...there was a TON of carbon build up in the engine, so the international mechanic told me to rev the crap out of it inbetween shifts to get the crap out, it was built to shift at about 4-5k and redlines somewhere around 6. She would shift between 15-2500 RPMs which was hurting the motor extremely bad. Every time I drove the car I shifted at high RPMs and got yelled at. To make a long story short, the bitch apologized to me cuz she thought she was right.

FYI if you have a high performance motor with a high redline, it is ok to to shift at high RPMs, you're doing your motor a favor.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

/\ That's how I look at it. I thought I drove my car fairly hard, but the othe rday after really exercising her, I smelled some fried carbon.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

....soooo then our cars qualify as having a high performance motor??
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
^^^ Yeah, of course our cars have high performance motors. That's why they suggest premium gas from the factory since we have higher compression than most 6's do. Remember our CL-S's were the most HP from a factory Honda FWD car at the time. That says high performance to me, no?

I hit the rev limiter hard a few weeks ago with my bro in the car. I think he thought I almost blew the engine because it bounced off of the limiter quite a few times. I'm not used to SShifting it too much so I was trying to go up a gear but was physically attempting to drop it a gear. Live and learn. At least I cleaned some carbon out of her though, I guess!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
In the Mid-South meow

To add to that I put in some octane booster last week to give the injectors a good cleaning and I swear after that tank of fuel I'm getting about 1-2 more mpg out of my car. It's weird to think $5 and some good revving would do that but I'm convinced.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

octane boost cleans teh injectors? Better than OTC products like Gumout and that Slick 50 crap?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Got DEP???

3.2 V6 = Free Revving engine...

Ok, now to go back on Honda motors...
My first Honda was a Canadian model 1985 Honda Prelude 1.8 Dual Side Draft Carbs (yes, basically two motorcycle carbs) and I used to beat the hell out of the thing. One day I was driving down the highway at around 115mph and I saw a cop and threw it from 5th to 3rd...
Yeah, no rev limiter on that thing! The thing red lined like a bitch and after that it was lacking power and my emissions were fucked!!! I must have burnt the valve seals...

I took it to my buddy to get an inspection sticker (MA is strict on emissions), and when he put the probe in the exhaust the friggen thing read 2400 (twenty four hundred) on one of the readings. My buddy said "Holy shit! This thing will never pass emissions!"

I told him I would be right back and took it for a quick drive...
Needless to say, I did 110mph down the road (stupid me, I was young and the speed limit was 45) and came back and it only read 23 (twenty three)!!! The kid had never seen anything like that. Problem was that when the car sat for a few hours some oil would leak into the cylinders and had to be cleaned out.

So yeah, I agree with the High revving being good at times.

I always drive my cars hard and in my Integra, I always brought it to redline (without hitting) before shifting. My friends always thought it was bad for the engine, but I told them there is nothing wrong with it. Glad to see there are other people out there that agree with me!

GM#2 Needs a TRIPOD...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by ricardo95
octane boost cleans teh injectors? Better than OTC products like Gumout and that Slick 50 crap?
Same stuff. All it does is add a few octane digits to the gas you put in with it. I don't know if it technically cleans them out but it did something as now I seem to be getting better gas mileage. I know lower grade and octane fuels will leave deposits in your injectors, so in my mind it seems a higher octane will clean it out? But maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
^^^ Yeah, of course our cars have high performance motors. That's why they suggest premium gas from the factory since we have higher compression than most 6's do. Remember our CL-S's were the most HP from a factory Honda FWD car at the time. That says high performance to me, no?

I hit the rev limiter hard a few weeks ago with my bro in the car. I think he thought I almost blew the engine because it bounced off of the limiter quite a few times. I'm not used to SShifting it too much so I was trying to go up a gear but was physically attempting to drop it a gear. Live and learn. At least I cleaned some carbon out of her though, I guess!
I'm talking about my 1 gen 3.0 motor?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6speedguy03

actually i've done this in my gs-r a while back, and the motor is fine, the valves end up getting bent but that could be easily repaired at the dealer. i wasnt going a hundred but maybe at 80mph i downshifted to 2nd by accident.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ljmushock
glad to see your staying safe by at least keeping an eye out. some people just pay no attention to whats going on around them while they are driving fast.

I always scan for the po, but more often than that, im looking for people that would pull out in front of me, or try to change lanes when im coming up on them fast...

You gotta love the 6spd, I could not be happier with the car, every time you feel like you need a thrill just unleash that drop into second and take off!

Yea dude always gatta be watchin out specially out here in MA the cops are bastards plus im on the verge of loosin my license

The Valentine 1 really helps as well!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by redsly
3.2 V6 = Free Revving engine...

Ok, now to go back on Honda motors...
My first Honda was a Canadian model 1985 Honda Prelude 1.8 Dual Side Draft Carbs (yes, basically two motorcycle carbs) and I used to beat the hell out of the thing. One day I was driving down the highway at around 115mph and I saw a cop and threw it from 5th to 3rd...
Yeah, no rev limiter on that thing! The thing red lined like a bitch and after that it was lacking power and my emissions were fucked!!! I must have burnt the valve seals...

I took it to my buddy to get an inspection sticker (MA is strict on emissions), and when he put the probe in the exhaust the friggen thing read 2400 (twenty four hundred) on one of the readings. My buddy said "Holy shit! This thing will never pass emissions!"

I told him I would be right back and took it for a quick drive...
Needless to say, I did 110mph down the road (stupid me, I was young and the speed limit was 45) and came back and it only read 23 (twenty three)!!! The kid had never seen anything like that. Problem was that when the car sat for a few hours some oil would leak into the cylinders and had to be cleaned out.

So yeah, I agree with the High revving being good at times.

I always drive my cars hard and in my Integra, I always brought it to redline (without hitting) before shifting. My friends always thought it was bad for the engine, but I told them there is nothing wrong with it. Glad to see there are other people out there that agree with me!

GM#2 Needs a TRIPOD...
I have a fricken tripod, I just need to remember to use it.

Nice car!