Rear Foglight Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:42 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Foglight Help

Anyone install rear foglights on their Acura? I have been wanting them since I got my car. My Land Rover came stock with them, and they are the best thing for low-visibility and foul weather like heavy rain or snow (and to flash as I pass those a$$hole Benz and Audi drivers who drive with them on ALL the time).

I am thinking of flush-mounting them like that in the Porsche 928s back in the day, check out the link and tell me what you think- http://www.928.org.uk/images/p10610.jpg

I want to install the rear fogs at the same time as my soon-to-be Xenarc Aux. Low-beams.

Suggestions??
Old 08-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Since the CL has four bulbs for brakelights, my idea was to somehow have one of them on steady. However, I'm not electrically inclined to wire this correctly.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Rear fog lights? Never heard of them. How can lights on the rear of a car help you see any better?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they are so people can see you.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by tmk70
I think they are so people can see you.
correct.... and they should be ON on one side (tipically left) inj order to avoid the confusion between that and the brake bulbs.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:00 AM
DC Cruiser

The purpose of having rear foglights is to allow other cars to better see your vehicle when visibility is limited due to heavy rain/snow or fog, and the lights are a bright red. I prefer the European/Asian setup, where there are two rear foglights in the rear light cluster.

McChicken, I was thinking that EXACT same thing, perhaps wiring one of the bulbs (interior left or both interior left and right) to a switch so that the equivalent of the brake light can be turned on in foul weather. I'll ask a friend of mine to see if it's possible (and a much cheaper install in theory, and no cutting through the bumper for the inset foglight I would otherwise get). Good idea, we are on the same page!!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Red lights on the back of the car on the left side only so people can see you? What is the point? You already have lights, & brake lights, & flashers. I guess I just don't get it.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Banned

just get some strobe lights and a police horn, you should be noticed
Old 08-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
Red lights on the back of the car on the left side only so people can see you? What is the point? You already have lights, & brake lights, & flashers. I guess I just don't get it.
The idea is to avoid using the emergency lights. A rear fog light helps you see the car on your front when there is heavy rain/fog. I sometimes have difficulties seeing the car just with regular taillights.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Foglights Misuse
Old 08-26-2003, 09:37 AM
DC Cruiser

Fuzzy, I copied this for you--------

"Why are we one of the only countries in the world to not have rear foglights on our cars? Pile-ups like the one in Wisconsin and Georgia this year stand a decent chance being prevented with the devices.

Rear foglights work to make your car or truck more visable to the person following it in hard to see situations. They are generally about as bright as brake lights. US automakers aren't the only ones at fault though. They used to be standard on almost all European cars in the US but most Euro automakers have axed the devices citing cost savings and an uneducated driving public in the states (ie people driving with them on unknowingly). The new MINI Cooper has them even installed and ready to go but is missing a switch and a wire. " from
http://www.bridger.us/2002/11/19/RearFoglightsAnyone.

Fuzzy, you ever driven in heavy rain, snow, or fog??? If you don't, then you won't understand the value of having such lights so you can BE SEEN. Sometimes in foul weather, the stock tailights just aren't adequate, and hazards?!?, who drives down the highway at 50-75+ with their hazards on when a rear foglight would be perfect?? In the rain and snow in particular, spray along with the precip. decreases the visibility of your tailights.

ST2000 ...................... nah----------- Be cool if YOU wanted to look like a cop, maybe---- lol, not for me I'm afraid
Old 08-26-2003, 09:42 AM
DC Cruiser

Oh, that link above is busted, my bad-

Zamo,
- Word to that - I'm getting rear fogs one way or the other in the next couple weeks-
Old 08-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

The value of fog lights, both front and rear, is hardly ever realized by the idiots who drive with them on all the time. What's funny is that most cars have fog lights that stay on as long as the switch is pressed. However, the European cars must be turned on each time and the switch on BMW, Audi and Mercedes is a three position switch (off, front, front and rear). So the point is that they know they are turning on the rear or have never bothered to look to see how the system works. Foglights are for fog and low visibility. They do absolutely nothing on a normal day...just my freakin' two cents.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Rear fogs seem like kind of a waste for the US.
They’re primarily designed for European highways with unlimited top speeds and lots of lousy weather.

In the US anyone foolish enough to be driving THAT fast in the rain, snow or fog is probably gonna plow right into your ASS if it’s lit up or not.

Wasn’t there a big controversy with the new MINI.
I think I read somewhere that the cars come with the fogs in there, but they’re disabled on the US spec cars.
The MINI owners are petitioning to have a dealer option to enable them legally.

Shawn S
Old 08-26-2003, 10:28 AM
DC Cruiser

Shawn,
This is just all opinion, so It's all good man (had to preface, I hate arguments!!)- I don't know if it's a matter of someone hitting you cuz they were "driving that fast in the rain, snow or fog," than it is allowing a greater measure of safety. I know I've been driving on I-76 at night along some windy/cliffy parts when a blanket of HEAVY fog set, and rear fogs allow cars to pace much more easily (even going 10-20-30mph) than without. I personally think that the lights should be put on or made available on US cars, and people should be educated on how and when they shall be used, and police should inforce the regulations limiting the use.

But yeah, MINI owners are fighting to have the rear-foglight activated at no charge, whether they will get that or not is questionable. I think they will have to pay their own way, but at least they are kinda wired-up unlike my friends 330CI which would take a whole day to wire!!!

I know the GS300/430, and IS300 are sold with rear fogs everywhere except the US and Canada (maybe Mexico, but I think they have rear fogs). The middle round lenses closest to the rear plate are for that purpose, and only light in Japan with a 21W bulb instead of the 5/21W since it's a running and brake light here, and strictly a fog light there (I'm pretty sure).
Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

You all are correct but......(you knew there was a but)......if, and I repeat, IF people used them properly, they would be great but.....(there's that word again)...... how many people do you see in broad sunny daylight cruising along with the left rear foglamp light up and not a trace of anything that would affect visibility for miles and miles.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:13 PM
DC Cruiser

Word, Americans for the most part are morons, LOL----

But if they were to be pulled over, one by one and written tickets for having their rear foglight on, that would solve the problem!!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot people i know who have them on their SUV's only use them to blind people tailgating.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:50 PM
DC Cruiser

Haha, yes Chap, they are good for that aswell!!!!