Old 07-05-2001, 06:23 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it really true that Maxima 2000 5-sp is faster than CLS

Here is the claim: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=50221
Old 07-05-2001, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
THe Maxima SE is a fast car but not faster than the CL-S. The HP on those cars are at 225 and 227 if (Anniv. Version). But both cars have been tested by the different mags and show 0 to 60 numbers in the 6.7 to 6.8sec range and the auto run at 7.0 to 7.2 sec.

I guaranty you that in the SS mode the CL-S will also smoke the Maxima SE, not by alot but will still win.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's completely believable that a CL-S would lose to a stock 5spd Max SE. The two cars are very closely matched. I wouldn't make a blanket statement saying the Max is faster though. There are plenty of people on here who have toasted them.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:12 PM
Drifting

I sent a friendly invitiation to the Maxima owners. Tomorrow I'm going to the track, and if they want to compare cars thats cool with me. I respect both cars very much.

Spiro
Old 07-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Maxima's are not faster than the CL-S period. I raced not long ago a 2000 manual and beat it by 1 1/2 cars to 90. The new Maxima is the car to worry about.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:56 PM
Banned

I would say if someone in their CL-S left the VSA on....and left it in D5...and the Maxima got him on the launch by dropping the clutch at 3000rpms or whatever they launch at...I would say...yes, the Maxima could beat the CL-S...Oh yeah, the driver has to be an excellent shifter and not miss any shifts at all. But as I always say...we have dunce-proof shifting...so, if he doesn't hit every shift perfectly...or almost perfectly...he loses...simple as that...Also, I could lose to a Geo if...well, I could never lose to a Geo...hehehhe
Old 07-05-2001, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont believe anyone has posted stating that the Maxima is faster. I stated that is a fast car but not faster than the CL-S
Old 07-05-2001, 08:36 PM
ACME sucks!

Once again, we're playing with numbers from a magazine. It all really comes down to who's the better driver at that particular time.

I guarantee you that if the CL-S guy was in SS mode and shifted into 3rd after the revlimiter kicked in, he'd get is ass handed to him. The same thing would happen if he forgot to turn off VSA.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dfv3.2CL-S:
<STRONG>I dont believe anyone has posted stating that the Maxima is faster. I stated that is a fast car but not faster than the CL-S</STRONG>

Then what does the title of this topic state? Or ask?
Old 07-05-2001, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Nissan Maxima SE 5sp does the 1/4 mile in 15.1.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Im soo tired of this shit, fuck em! ask where the navi goes in the maxima or many of our other perks. Maxima's are nice if you can't afford a CLS.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:45 PM
Racer

eclipse,

no1 was attacking the cl-s...this guy jus wanted to know which was faster...chill bro
Old 07-05-2001, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid:
<STRONG>eclipse,

no1 was attacking the cl-s...this guy jus wanted to know which was faster...chill bro</STRONG>
Im not worked up im just tired of entertaining these maxima guys.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:57 PM
Old timer

So get a navi/dvd installed and turn up the BASS, Boombah.

-J
Old 07-05-2001, 10:57 PM
Racer

i dont wana sound bitchy...but they can talk about our cars because they are very similar.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid:
<STRONG>i dont wana sound bitchy...but they can talk about our cars because they are very similar.</STRONG>
Ok, break out the similarities other than a 1/4 mile and 0-60 time
Old 07-05-2001, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

What the f*** does the VSA has to do with if it being on or off? We are talking about a 0 to 60 sprint or all balls out straight line acceleration.

Some of you guys need to get your facts straight on the VSA. According to Acura the VSA does not affect the straight line acceleration and it is intended to help with yaw (body roll) and oversteer and understeer conditions/aspect of the car's suspencion.

It's main purpose is to help with poor judgement of the driver when cornering, so that it can bring you back on the intended path.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:03 PM
Old timer

Ok, break out the similarities other than a 1/4 mile and 0-60 time
4 wheels, 4tires, engine, doors, hood, trunk, runs on gasoline.... need I continue? :p

-J

And about the VSA: if you spin tires, notice the hazard symbol flashes letting you know VSA engaged. That means it did something - probably braked your front wheel that was spinning. Now tell me that didn't impede your acceleration...

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: JRock ]
Old 07-05-2001, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<STRONG>What the f*** does the VSA has to do with if it being on or off? We are talking about a 0 to 60 sprint or all balls out straight line acceleration.

Some of you guys need to get your facts straight on the VSA. According to Acura the VSA does not affect the straight line acceleration and it is intended to help with yaw (body roll) and oversteer and understeer conditions/aspect of the car's suspencion.

It's main purpose is to help with poor judgement of the driver when cornering, so that it can bring you back on the intended path.</STRONG>
Really? Do you know what YOUR talking about? IF you floor it in your Acura with the VSA on it will flash and cut your throttle, the stupid fucking VSA thinks you are out of control and reduces acceleration so YES it does matter.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

According to Acura in a straight line acceleration VSA does not affect, may be you are talking about the TCS which detects wheelspin and will use the ABS to reduce the spin and regain traction.

VSA uses lateral accelerometers to detect side to side motion or g-forces, so it seems ludecris that the VSA on the CL-S will kick-in when you are going straight a head. Most likely the TCS is doing the controlling.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<STRONG>What the f*** does the VSA has to do with if it being on or off? We are talking about a 0 to 60 sprint or all balls out straight line acceleration.

It's main purpose is to help with poor judgement of the driver when cornering, so that it can bring you back on the intended path.</STRONG>
SEE HERE'S THE DEAL LOOK AT THE PERSON WITH WHOM YOU'RE DISPUTING... see where it says member #319? now look at yours 1300+ right ???that means he's been around alot longer than you and a strong possibility that he maybe knows a thing or two about which he speaks...so try this ...
i could be wrong but i THOUGHT I HEARD?READ?...that VSA only affected yaw and or an out of control issue?...and some one might reply back hey dude dont always believe what you read, take your car out stomp on the gas see VSA light flash, feel the car drastically reduce throttle see what we mean???....NOT get your FUCKING FACTS STRAIGHT you that 's been here alot longer than me you ass hole ...you cant possiblly know more than me...granted you didnt say all that BUT!!!it seems some of the newbies around here have no problem tellin a veteran they dont know what they're talking about when usually they're right(the vet)so....REPECT!!!!:MAD: just alittle and you'll go along way here...
oh and BTW the max is close one of our closet competitors but more times than not the cl-S will win

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: typeR ]
Old 07-05-2001, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>

Really? Do you know what YOUR talking about? IF you floor it in your Acura with the VSA on it will flash and cut your throttle, the stupid fucking VSA thinks you are out of control and reduces acceleration so YES it does matter.</STRONG>

1. If Acura is talking about the car with stock tires on new pavement, they have been sitting near too many Acura CL-S exhaust pipes at during warm-up.

2. The "VSA flash" seems to go away with non-factory (sticky rubber) on a good surface. The result is no VSA light coming on (at least for me).

3. The empirical and anecdotal information from the members here would support leaving the VSA off for best "dry" traction. (There are/were a number of drag strip tests around here to back this up...)

4. If we had a "fly-by-wire" system that DID NOT use the brakes and spark-timing retard (at a minimum) to control traction, we would probably get a boost from the VSA (as do F1 cars)!

BTW -- I am using VSA as a generic term for traction control -- ok!

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 07-05-2001, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

VSA, TCS, I don't fucking care.
I just know that when I stomp on the gas the VSA light goes on. I don't have a TCS light so I assume that the VSA is what is going on or does the light act for both mechanisms? SOMETHING reduces my acceleration and that SOMETHING goes away when I turn the VSA OFF.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
man weird shit...
that Max guy's dyno is only 180 something and ours are at least 200....
ANd i assume they weigh about the same......
So............????? IF the 2 drivers have the same skills of driving.. then CLS should win..... I dont care if that fool has 5speed... just put our gear from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.. then it s end of the race..... SO there should NOT be that much of difference...
Old 07-06-2001, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by oonowindoo:
<STRONG>man weird shit...
So............????? IF the 2 drivers have the same skills of driving.. then CLS should win..... I dont care if that fool has 5speed... just put our gear from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.. then it s end of the race..... SO there should NOT be that much of difference...</STRONG>
Comments:

1. Driving skills...

2. Unknown mods (even when people claim stock).

3. You commented about our 200 front wheel HP vs. the Maxima’s 180 front wheel HP. The Maxima is a bit lighter. The CLS would have an advantage with more people. Try loading up a really fast and light 2000 lb car with 4 people and see how it goes... Then try the same stunt with a bigger car (Q45)…

4. I would like to see the area under the curve of both dynos -- I would expect the VTEC to make more "flat" torque than the Maxima.

5. We got to get away from the peak HP stuff – it is the area under the curve. I’m not saying the Maxima makes more, but just picking up the peak HP is going to cut it too much more. The 3.5L car is an example of this!

This all gets down to 20 HP vs 300-400 lbs (I'm not sure on the weight) and weight does count combined with random factors.

Finally, there is always the issue of variations and other factors that relate to our cars and other makes of cars... We do claim victories over other "better" cars (yes/no)?

No conclusion, but some food for thought…
Old 07-06-2001, 12:08 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

We don't have TCS in its pure form. We have VSA which is a combination of both vehicle stability assist and traction control. I have stock tires with 20,000 miles on them and you bet your sweet butt I can spin them and get VSA blinking. My Maxima (98) did not have TCS (not available on a 5spd from Nissan) and it would spin the front wheels off as well accompanied by wheel hop and all the other bad things that go with front wheel drive. As far as the two cars being similar, they are in performance numbers only. My Max was not well insulated from road noise and the sunroof was not even tinted. I had to get that done after market. The Max was a great tossable DGAF car. (Don't give a f***) but it pales in comparison to a CL-S or even a TL-S. Great car and I would another of either cars. Flame away if you will, but I am one who has owned and driven both.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:13 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Is it really true that Maxima 2000 5-sp is faster than CLS?

Not than my CLS--before and certainly not after mods.

Not on any one of the 4 or 5 times they have tried.

And definately not the guy who wanted a piece of me so bad and then wouldn't even look at me at the next light b/c I walked on him so tough.

Not even when I hit 4th gear.

Sorry.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: JZ ]
Old 07-06-2001, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JZ:
<STRONG>Is it really true that Maxima 2000 5-sp is faster than CLS?

Not than my CLS--before and certainly not after mods.

Not on any one of the 4 or 5 times they have tried.

And definately not the guy who wanted a piece of me so bad and then wouldn't even look at me at the next light b/c I walked on him so tough.

Not even when I hit 4th gear.

Sorry.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: JZ ]</STRONG>
"YEAH BABY!!!"
Old 07-06-2001, 12:20 AM
Darth Chocolate

Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>VSA, TCS, I don't fucking care.
I just know that when I stomp on the gas the VSA light goes on. I don't have a TCS light so I assume that the VSA is what is going on or does the light act for both mechanisms? SOMETHING reduces my acceleration and that SOMETHING goes away when I turn the VSA OFF.</STRONG>
Amen. Something keeps my stock tires from squealing from a dead start when I WOT with VSA ON, and it magically allows me to squeal away from the same type of start with VSA OFF.

Originally posted by EricL:
<STRONG>4. If we had a "fly-by-wire" system that DID NOT use the brakes and spark-timing retard (at a minimum) to control traction, we would probably get a boost from the VSA (as do F1 cars)!</STRONG>
Man, that would be cool!
Old 07-06-2001, 01:20 AM
Instructor

For the record I had my best 1/4 time with VSA on! Go figure.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:02 AM
Retired. Not available.

sounds like somebody needs to read the manual. VSA detects wheelspin and cut off power to reduce spinning thus your wheels can grip. you regain control once the wheel stop the spinning.

... They are very fast cars, especially when that 5spd comes out next year in them. But its no match for the 5spd Max, and I am STOCK.
Does this guy even know what he's talking about? I thought my car is 5 speed auto . Maybe I am wrong ? I've been hunting for a Max to verify all the talk from Max owners but havent found one. I heard the same talk came from Solara w/ TRD SC owner. and I proved them wrong.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:11 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[I am wrong ? I've been hunting for a Max to verify all the talk from Max owners but havent found one. I heard the same talk came from Solara w/ TRD SC owner. and I proved them wrong.[/QB][/QUOTE]
I will join you we can go Maxima hunting this weekend. I hope we find a Manual Max, kill it... then skin it.

Old 07-06-2001, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

The bottom line is that the CL-S can take the Maxima with good driving.

BTW, I am most qualified to talk about cars features because Iam a certified Accident Reconstructionist, which I get to see lots of ongoing car research regarding safety features and how the manufactures improve structural stability and rigidity to there cars and i also have to know about all the stupid safety systems that all car manufactures install in there cars because I do go to court on a frequent basis as an expert witness and a doctor that sees lots of MVA/ soft tissue injuries cases.

I may be new to the site, but Iam not no idiot regarding cars and also I may not know everthing, but I do know how a VSA works. I do strive to learn as much as I can.
Old 07-06-2001, 03:05 AM
Senior Moderator

<STRONG>The bottom line is that the CL-S can take the Maxima with good driving.

BTW, I am most qualified to talk about cars features because Iam a certified Accident Reconstructionist, which I get to see lots of ongoing car research regarding safety features and how the manufactures improve structural stability and rigidity to there cars and i also have to know about all the stupid safety systems that all car manufactures install in there cars because I do go to court on a frequent basis as an expert witness and a doctor that sees lots of MVA/ soft tissue injuries cases.

I may be new to the site, but Iam not no idiot regarding cars and also I may not know everthing, but I do know how a VSA works. I do strive to learn as much as I can.</STRONG>
thats fine but thats not how you said it before and that kinda talk doesnt go far here .i think you'll find that VSA wehical stability assist incorperates TCS technology and adds to it with the out of control sensors lateral g accelorometers and perhaps many other factors...but when VSA is enabled on our car the cl-S and you break the front wheels lose in a straight line 0-60 ...some aspect of vsa kicks in and shuts you down...and I can testify to that ...
Old 07-06-2001, 03:54 AM
I love my CL-S

Originally posted by oonowindoo:
<STRONG>man weird shit...
So............????? IF the 2 drivers have the same skills of driving.. then CLS should win..... I dont care if that fool has 5speed... just put our gear from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.. then it s end of the race..... SO there should NOT be that much of difference...</STRONG>
The cl-s who lost to the max can't drive no shit..even the cl-s is a auto

Old 07-06-2001, 04:18 AM