re: Acura Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Acura Extended Warranty

Should i get an extended 3 year warranty from acura for 1800? Can i get it cheaper?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Team Owner

That's WAY too expensive.
I paid 850 for a 7YR/75,000 Mile 0-Deductible plan.

A 7YR/100,000 plan can be had for slightly more.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Racer

Know where i can get it cheaper?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GD196
Know where i can get it cheaper?
http://www.curryacuracare.com
Old 07-20-2004, 09:24 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe I paid $1200 for a 6yr/100k mi. ext. warranty when I bought my car new. Is this for a used Acura?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Just a reminder…… Don’t buy anything except a certified Honda-AcuraCare warranty.
Lots of other “fly by night” places may be cheaper, but good luck when it comes time for a claim or even finding a dealer that will deal with them.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:28 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S
Just a reminder…… Don’t buy anything except a certified Honda-AcuraCare warranty.
Lots of other “fly by night” places may be cheaper, but good luck when it comes time for a claim or even finding a dealer that will deal with them.
Yeh, mine is definitely the Honda-AcuraCare warranty. But I even paid too much based on your's: $850 for a 7YR/75,000 Mile 0-Deductible plan. Maybe it had something to do with living in Bay Area, CA.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
GEB
Racer

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
Yeh, mine is definitely the Honda-AcuraCare warranty. But I even paid too much based on your's: $850 for a 7YR/75,000 Mile 0-Deductible plan. Maybe it had something to do with living in Bay Area, CA.
I'd call around. There's no reason to buy it from a dealer in the Bay Area. If it was me, I might even call Goodwin Honda in Houston. A friend of mine got his Odessey there (had to fly from Denver to Houston for it). He saved about $1500 after all of his expenses. Someone like that could sell you the thing over the phone and fax you confirmation. It would be worth it to me!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Racer

I bought my car at a Lexus dealer and got it extended for another 4yr/50K miles for 1350.

Will they be cooperative when it comes time to fix something?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AmooManiaK
I bought my car at a Lexus dealer and got it extended for another 4yr/50K miles for 1350.

Will they be cooperative when it comes time to fix something?
Since it’s not a Honda/Acura dealer, Lexus is probably out of the loop as soon as the sale is done.
The warranty was probably through a third party and they are the ones you’ll be dealing with for any future claim.
Check your paperwork and see exactly what you bought.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I would not buy it, especially if its as high as $1800. The only thing that can really break down is our transmission, which we have covered until 100K miles. Everything else seems to be solid, and $1800 is a waste.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by russianDude
The only thing that can really break down is our transmission.....
It really cracks me up whenever somebody says that.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine for $650 through Acura
Old 07-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

It really cracks me up whenever somebody says that.
Let me rephrase it, the chances are very small that you will spend over $1800 on after warranty repairs in the next 50K miles or 3 years (following expiration of your OEM warranty). Sure, you can be paranoid and buy it anyway, but no thanks, I am taking my chances.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Let me rephrase it, the chances are very small that you will spend over $1800 on after warranty repairs in the next 50K miles or 3 years (following expiration of your OEM warranty). Sure, you can be paranoid and buy it anyway, but no thanks, I am taking my chances.
Yes, at 1,800 dollars I would have to agree with you.
But for around 800 dollars for 7-years of “peace of mind” I’ll take that.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, at 1,800 dollars I would have to agree with you.
But for around 800 dollars for 7-years of “peace of mind” I’ll take that.
$800 for Acura OEM warranty? I bet you get this only when you buy a car, this way they can inflate your sales price a bit and throw this as part of the "package". Also I belive it was for 75K miles @ 7 yrs(its not 100K miles), its still not very appealing to me...
Old 07-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Seriously, what realisticly do you think can go wrong before 100K miles(well, obviosly besides transmission). If you do have some serious issues -- they will probably surface while you are still under OEM warranty... we have very good engine (I have not seen anybody complaining on this forum), transmission is covered... but other than that, it looks like its a very high reliability car.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

$800 for Acura OEM warranty? I bet you get this only when you buy a car, this way they can inflate your sales price a bit and throw this as part of the "package". Also I belive it was for 75K miles @ 7 yrs(its not 100K miles), its still not very appealing to me...
I just bought my warranty plan a few months ago, nearly two years after the original sale, so it definitely wasn’t “buried” in with the original price of the car.

I only drive about 9-10K a year so I didn’t bother going with a 100K plan.
I believe that would have cost another 150-200 or so.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Seriously, what realisticly do you think can go wrong before 100K miles(well, obviosly besides transmission). If you do have some serious issues -- they will probably surface while you are still under OEM warranty... we have very good engine (I have not seen anybody complaining on this forum), transmission is covered... but other than that, it looks like its a very high reliability car.
Here’s a list of everything that’s covered………

Old 07-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

I guess its a philosophical argument. People who have warranty think its great, people who don't -- think the extended warranty is a waste. I think most of the Honda owners do not have any major problems before 100K miles (provided you properlly maintain your car). Some people do have problems.... In my oppinion its worth the risk to save $1000 on extended warranty. After all, its Honda, it is supposed to be reliable(inspite of all the b*tching people do), its still 10 times better than Ford or KIA POS...
Old 07-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not that hard to spend $1000 in repairs outside of warranty -- dropping around that for an extended warranty package shouldn't be that controversial. Yes, it's a personal decision that some of us will make and others will balk at, but I find it hard to argue that a car will not break down for some reason or another in under 7 years.

Open up the yellow pages under car repair or drive by an industrial section of town -- auto repair is quite commonplace. Cars regularly break down for all sorts of reasons.

Don't forget with the extended warranty, you also get Acura TLC with towing and trip interruption. That's also worth a couple $$.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Like I said, it’s “peace of mind” kind of like life insurance.
You pay for it and hope you never have to use it.

I didn’t have an extended plan on my 91 Legend Coupe and I was worried those last few years I had it.
As luck would have it, I drove the car for 110,000 trouble free miles so a plan would have been wasted money.
That car was built in Japan and was put together with MUCH better materials then the CL is.
That’s why I’m a little pessimistic about what might happen in its later years.

One final plus is that I will probably sell the car before the 7-years is up.
A potential buyer may be more at ease with his purchase if he knows the car comes with a year or two and 10-15K miles of factory coverage if anything should go wrong.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I had Toyota Camry 1989. Bought it when it had 70K miles, when I sold it had 190K miles. The only repairs I had is to replace battery, and my coolant fan was out (under $200). That was it for car with 190K miles and over 10 years old. maybe some people had bad expirences....
Old 07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

Since it’s not a Honda/Acura dealer, Lexus is probably out of the loop as soon as the sale is done.
The warranty was probably through a third party and they are the ones you’ll be dealing with for any future claim.
Check your paperwork and see exactly what you bought.
This is the one I bought for $1350

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty....html#eligible

How is the Lexus service? You think I'll be able to get a few things fixed there that Acura wouldn't do for me? (i.e. warped rotors)
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM
GEB
Racer

I think that the Acura and Lexus (Honda and Toyota) are two of the very best extended warrant programs out there. Alot of the warranties from other auto makers aren't transferable.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by AmooManiaK
This is the one I bought for $1350

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty....html#eligible

How is the Lexus service? You think I'll be able to get a few things fixed there that Acura wouldn't do for me? (i.e. warped rotors)
I imagine that you'll have to take your car to a Lexus dealer for service.

Now the question is WHY would you take your car to a Lexus dealer for service?

I'm not sure they'll be able to solve TSBs generated from Honda/Acura -- my understanding is that the dealer gets paid out from Honda/Acura for warranty repair -- I'm not sure that a Lexus dealer would have such ties or relationship to Honda Corporate. Come to think of it, I'm not sure they'll even know such TSBs exist or how to get them from Acura.

Granted most competent mechanics should be able to resolve most general issues, but they won't
1) have spare Acura parts on hand
2) have a Helm manual current to your vehicle
3) have any special tools used to fix or adjust parts of the car.

I wouldn't have gone with such a deal. For the same price you could have got an official Acura extended warranty.

Now, if the Lexus dealer in question is also a Honda or Acura dealer, disregard everything I said above.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone know how to cancel an extended warrenty from Acura?
I am selling my CL-S and want to cancel it and get some funds back.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro

I paid $400 for my 7 yr/100k full warranty from Acura on my 03 CLS-6 ... but before everyone says 'yeah.. right' .. I only paid $2k to upgrade from an 02 CLS with 16k on the clock and then negotiated the warranty .. and all this was approved by Honda due to their horrible automatic transmission ..
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Slimey

Granted most competent mechanics should be able to resolve most general issues, but they won't
1) have spare Acura parts on hand
2) have a Helm manual current to your vehicle
3) have any special tools used to fix or adjust parts of the car.
Actually I see this whole thing as an advantage.

When I bought this warranty, the dealer told me that I could actually take the car to any Lexus or Acura dealer, and even to any certified mechanic for repairs and Lexus would cover the costs.

I don't think that Acura pays for the repair costs anyway, if it's purchased through another dealership. Why would Acura cover the costs when Lexus is the one who gets the $1350, that woldn't make sense.

I just received the letter from Lexus/Toyota yesterday, telling me what type of costs they'll cover. I think it should be easier to get it repaired through Lexus because I can just say "This is a part that Acura's extension would cover so this one should too"

Also, it's not hard to get parts at all. Normal mechanics have to work on any car you give them. I'm sure the Lexus people know what they're doing. It takes not even hours to order a few parts. My local mechanic used to change out my clutch within 3 hours even though he never had any parts for my car in stock.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
No no no no no no.. The tranny is covered to 100K. What are you paying $1,800 to cover? The only thing I can think of is the Nav. If anything goes, then use the $1K or $1.8K you would spend on the warranty to fix the problem. If nothing breaks, you are $1.8K ahead.

If the Nav breaks, you have $1,800 to buy an aftermarket one and probably still have change in your pockets.

KEEP YOUR MONEY!!! I bought the extended only cause of the tranny issue then.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 AM
Instructor

RussianDude... you must be 'drinking' man ... Although I am Russian as well ... experience tellsme otherwise... If you plan to own the car for a few more years after OEM's warantee expires - GET the extended waranty... I was fortunate in 'hypnotizing' a young finance manager to let me get 7/100 for $850 with $0 deductible.. but he was new and looking for volume/business wise .
To give you horrid examples... if you window motor goes - that's around $500 shot. If your checkEngine lights... and a few sensors perish - that's another few hundreds... I do NOT even want to get into A/C... i.e. condenser or compressor... or ECUs or sub-ECUs that test/reset all circuits when you start the car...etc. Just look at the amount of 'error-codes' that can occur... and each has a 'charge' attached to it .. Of course you can risk it with a mechanic you trust outside the dealer... but then... there is no 100% gurantee that mechanic would know every code.
These are US made cars with almost non-existant QC/QA = you cannot possibly compare this with a solidly built Japan autos from yesteryear. But do take your chances man ... as Honda did by saving a few bucks per defective gears in the trannies... now they are shelling out millions... for the recall... Is it not enough of a lesson ? ...that the cheap pays twice in the long run ....
Lastly... keep also in mind.. even though not too many mention here.. but Acura is a luxury mark for ANY mechanic.. no matter how friendly.. . They are not idiots.. they KNOW they are saving you money... so they WILL charge 'accordingly' i.e. 'luxury' car labor/rates... With the competition from dealers and cars generally improving... they HAVE to.. to stay in business. Parts are more expensive now as well. GM for instance hiked 35-40% all of a sudden ALL of their mainStream parts... just because they can and it was lucrative from a standpoint of getting the customer.. i.e. if you want to keep your old car - sure... but PAY UP for the servie/parts ...
I bet after something will happen ONCE... you will get the extended warantee.. It is simply a matter of time ...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I just purchased my Extended Warranty from PAA which was the cheapest in the NY/NJ area: 6yr/100K $0 Deductable for $1300
Old 07-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148002

Lower ball joints, one engine mount = $500.

My concerns are for the ABS/VSA system and AC system. Both are expensive to repair and something I can't do. Bearings and CV joints aren't cheap either (if you can get them covered under warranty).

1800 is too much for any warranty (maybe a 10 year 250k).

I paid $780 for a 5/100/0.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KissMy_Type_S
I just purchased my Extended Warranty from PAA which was the cheapest in the NY/NJ area: 6yr/100K $0 Deductable for $1300
Mine was 7yr/100k $0 deduct for $1100, this was 4 years ago in NJ area.

Now I am trying to get the form to cancel it and get a refund.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast_daddy_car
Mine was 7yr/100k $0 deduct for $1100, this was 4 years ago in NJ area.

Now I am trying to get the form to cancel it and get a refund.
Why?