Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 06:05 PM
ACME sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles

I searched through the DB and didn't mind any info about rattles in the CL-S. I have distinctive rattles from the moonroof (when the visor is back), near the passenger airbag, and from the passenger seat when nobody is in it. I took the car in and had the dealer look at the moonroof. They said it just needed some lubrication...wrong.

Any ideas?

------------------
2001 Acura CL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Wheel Locks
Tint
Splash Guards
PIAA Bulbs
Still trying to find a K&N filter!
Old 01-04-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro

i have that stupid rattle in the passenger airbag too. think someone said there's a fuse box somewhere that might be causing problems. haven't investigated it yet.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:26 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cee eL eS:
i have that stupid rattle in the passenger airbag too. think someone said there's a fuse box somewhere that might be causing problems. haven't investigated it yet.</font>
I think its time for a rattle section uner the FAQ. Most of this stuff is answered in the old posts.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-05-2001, 12:36 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

yeh-got the moonroof rattle, passenger seat, and center console, too (which i will fix meself-had the same problem on my 'lude-part of why i decided to buy a 'new' 'expensive' car-got sick a fixin all the friggin squeaks + rattles)

took the car in to have these looked at & all i got was a useless lubejob on the moonroof-which worked fer about a day

Old 01-05-2001, 12:39 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

yo 'toke-wassup?

i keep waiting to come across that red machine rollin' the streets of houston

noticed you have quite the post count over here-hmmmmmmmm
Old 01-05-2001, 06:47 AM
Advanced

I find that the interior rattles tend to disappear or at least diminish somewhat as the interior warms up as the car is being driven.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:31 AM
SatinCL

-"airbag" rattle: there is a fusebox on the dash between the doorpanel and dash when closed. Some foam tape along the inner edge of the COVER will fix it.

-"Backlight [CHMSL]" rattle: The outer cover of the CHMSL rattles against the glass. Either adjust it or some foam padding will do it.

-"Passenger Seat" rattle: unfixable. The seatback has a tendency to shimmy when unloaded. That noise comes from the hinge. Drives me nuts!

There are also rattles from the upper door panel where it meets the glass. Just push down the door panel to allow the upper seat to settle.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Acura-CL.Com Moderator
Old 01-05-2001, 11:25 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CanadianTypeS:
I find that the interior rattles tend to disappear or at least diminish somewhat as the interior warms up as the car is being driven.</font>
I've found this to be true with every car I've ever driven. It's logical because many of the materials used in car interiors will tend to firm up when it's really cold. Also things contract when they are cold which means more gaps between materials.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-05-2001, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

I have a few rattles in my car as well.
Most of them are noticeable only in the morning when the car is cold.
I usually deal with them by using one of the (2) “anti-rattle” controls that every CL-S is equipped with.

One in located on the console just in front of the shifter, rotate the left dial fully clockwise.
The other is located on the steering wheel, press the “up” arrow many times.

The addition of a Subwoofer and extra AMP in the trunk makes the aforementioned “anti-rattle” controls much more effective.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-05-2001, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

I would try a different dealer, I went in with my list of rattles and fit and finish problems and they were all taken care of on the first try. Rick Case Acura in Plantation Florida.

------------------
Cheers,
  • Silver type S
  • Spoiler
  • No regrets
Old 01-05-2001, 03:30 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I usually deal with them by using one of the (2) “anti-rattle” controls that every CL-S is equipped with.
</font>
I find the "anti-rattle" controls to be a thoughtful added bonus feature by Acura.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-05-2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 04:38 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
yo 'toke-wassup?

i keep waiting to come across that red machine rollin' the streets of houston

noticed you have quite the post count over here-hmmmmmmmm
</font>
Hey, just chillin, I will be keeping my eyes open for your ride. Flash your lights if you see me and I will do the same.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-18-2001, 12:01 AM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Someone posted about their dealer fixing all the rattles in Plantation, FL. Tell us what they fixed and if there are any bulletin numbers please.

Here's a new one that just started on my car within the past 4 days. There seems to be a shotty spring on the right side of the driver's seat. When I go over heavy bumps or make a left turn and my body's weight is shifted to the right, it creaks like the attic door in the Bates Motel.

Also - there's another rattle at the dead center of my dashboard where it meets the windshield. Figures, try solving that one!

I also have the rattle on the right side of the car - not sure if it's the seat or the door. Best I can do is give it to them and let them figure it out. It happens all the time on any bump - so they can't tell me they couldn't hear it.

If you can offer any info, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have to call Acura tomorrow and set an appointment to have my steering wheel replaced. I want all of these rattles looked at. For once, I want to drive this car without hearing a damn thing but the tires on the road.

(If you could, also email your response to robonli@hotmail.com)

Thanks!!

-Rob M.
Long Island, NY

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S. Satin silver, non-nav, #848
1997 Ford Probe (POST)
Old 01-18-2001, 12:20 AM
ACME sucks!

I too would like the answers! I have the exact same noises/rattles as Rob and the moonroof rattle as well.

HELP!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel locks/35% tint/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-18-2001, 12:17 PM
Racer

I've noticed lately with the cold weather that my car creaks and squeaks when I'm coming to a stop or starting from a stop. It sounds like the freakin' frame is creaking like an old floor when you walk on it!! This is pissing me off. Anyone else find this?? I'm sure it has something to do with the cold weather.

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-18-2001, 12:22 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At one time, I had engough with the rattles coming from the right side pilar. So, I snapped and slamed the plastic pilar with my fist and the noise is gone.!

I guess most of the noise could be from sloppy fitting of the interior. I can understand that since Type-S is a first-year model.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 01-18-2001, 05:38 PM
10th Gear

RobOnLI asked what they did to fix the rattles in my car.

1) The console rattle was caused by loose screws in the shift gate. The faux wood trim was removed and the screws tightened.

2) The passenger door was not closing flush, they adjusted the striker in and this resolved the door rattle.

3) The glove box noise was caused by the snap on trim not being properly installed. They also re aligned the door to stop it from rubbing.

4) The rattle in the rear deck was from the center mount stop light. The light was adjusted forward to fix.

5) The plastic under the carpet in the trunk was tapping on the trunk floor, double sided tape was installed to keep it from moving up and down.

6) The release cable for the gas fill was tapping against the wheel well. The cable was repositioned and ty wrapped.

I do not have access to any service bulletins so I cannot comment on what exists.

The most important thing was to be able to duplicate each sound for the technician. I had my wife drive me around so that I could sit in the passenger seat and pin point each item. Botts dots (highway center reflectors) would show up most of the items, but for both of the trunk problems I had to find a washboard road near the dealership that would cause the problem. I did all of this before I made the appointment so that there was no question of what needed to be fixed. This was difficult for me as I have a short fuse and my first inclination was to yell and make demands. By taking an analytical approach I was able to get the problems resolved. I am still pissed that I had to go through this, but I am a happy camper now.

------------------
Cheers,
  • Silver type S
  • Spoiler
  • No regrets