Raising the rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by J32A26MT
I would second whoever mentioned that our engines begin to lose power as you approach the redline. Think about it, for that extra 500 RPM that you are revving, you will most likely be dropping off in horsepower. Instead, shift where the engine stops making power and you will be regaining power quicker than if you try to rev it higher where you are losing power. I don't know if i explained my opinion in a way that makes sense, but basically i don't think your car would drive faster or put down better numbers if you could rev past where it makes power. I would guess it would be slower. These cars are not 4 cylinder, and they start making power earlier and don't make as much power approaching the redline, so I don't think we really have to worry as much about dropping a couple hundred rpm lower when we shift IMO. I could understand it might be nice to have that rev limiter a little higher just so we don't bounce off of it and get the parachute effect, but i think the best place to shift is wherever our car starts losing power on the dyno, and have a shift light or something around there. I would not want to test my valvetrain revving the car higher than the valvesprings may be able to handle. Its too bad I don't think anyone makes upgraded valvesprings and cams for us, or else we could rev higher, make power at higher RPMs, and stay in vtec when race-shifting. This is all just my opinion and what makes sense in my head, if i am incorrect someone please explain. Sorry for rambling guys but its almost 4AM and this really got me thinking. Hopefully it makes sense when i read it tomorrow, ha.

Your right the engine starts to loose power up there. But as someone else said, by modding we are moving the power band up.

Plus my point of veiw on that is, you make a lot more power at redline then you do at 4500 rpm ie. rpm drop to at 3rd to 4th gearshift. Sure it's not peak power but still more at 7300 rpm then you would at 4500 to 4800 rpm.

Also I would not worry about a roller valetrain going up a few hundred RPM. Should not be a problem at all. Now if your talking about a full 1000 or more RPM then I might be concerned.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by black_type-s
yes u do lose after 6800 but they want to raise it so that when u go into 4th gear, u have a better chance of getting into v-tec so its kinda worth losin a lil bit of power for 5 seconds reaching 7500 but once u go into 4th gear and ur already around 4500 but, that doesnt make ne sense, doesnt the computer like automatically bring it down to that certain rpm ?? maybe its something to do with tuning ur ecu, no???
Um no, Since you even said that, you should just shut up and quit posting here. You obviusly have no clue what your talking about.

If you actaully were trying to learn somthing I could understand. But you act like you are all knowing, but you don't have a clue.

Trying to read your text messages are giving me a friggin headache.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by horsepowercrzy18
not possible to raise limiter. ive had neo and it couldnt do it. ive called greddy and they dont make anything for our cars to raise it. sadly it sucks but is better for us so we dont harm our motors
I'm begining to see after (much research) that the rpm's can't be raised. Looks like the Stand Alone is the only way to go. Not worth a few hundred rpm though if you ask me. That sucks!

Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I'll put you in the wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Your right the engine starts to loose power up there. But as someone else said, by modding we are moving the power band up.

Plus my point of veiw on that is, you make a lot more power at redline then you do at 4500 rpm ie. rpm drop to at 3rd to 4th gearshift. Sure it's not peak power but still more at 7300 rpm then you would at 4500 to 4800 rpm.

Also I would not worry about a roller valetrain going up a few hundred RPM. Should not be a problem at all. Now if your talking about a full 1000 or more RPM then I might be concerned.

I understand the other point of view here, i just would imagine if you are in one gear and hit your max power, anywhere after that you would not be accellerating as much as if you were in the next gear climbing up the powerband. Of course, as you mentioned, it would only be for a couple seconds for the purpose of trying to catch VTEC in the next shift, so maybe it would help...??? I would have to see some sort of comparison here to really believe one way or the other.

I wasn't suggesting we would need the extra valvetrain for 500RPMs. I'm sure our valvetrain would be fine up to 7200 or so...but if we had some nice cams (if someone ever makes them) where we could make power all the way over 8000RPMs we would need some heavy duty valvetrain for sure. I'm not sure if our valvesprings are stronger or weaker than the 4 cylinder B, H, K series, or if we have dual valvespringsfrom the factory, but i would assume not.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J32A26MT
I understand the other point of view here, i just would imagine if you are in one gear and hit your max power, anywhere after that you would not be accellerating as much as if you were in the next gear climbing up the powerband. Of course, as you mentioned, it would only be for a couple seconds for the purpose of trying to catch VTEC in the next shift, so maybe it would help...??? I would have to see some sort of comparison here to really believe one way or the other.

I wasn't suggesting we would need the extra valvetrain for 500RPMs. I'm sure our valvetrain would be fine up to 7200 or so...but if we had some nice cams (if someone ever makes them) where we could make power all the way over 8000RPMs we would need some heavy duty valvetrain for sure. I'm not sure if our valvesprings are stronger or weaker than the 4 cylinder B, H, K series, or if we have dual valvespringsfrom the factory, but i would assume not.

Good points
Guess one of us will have to try the Stand Alone route. I still have to many other things to buy first.

And OMG I'd love to be able to make power up to 8K. Thats would be killer! I agree there would likely need to be a valvetrain upgrade. I bet you (As in anybody) could find a spring that would fit, that is stronger (Stronger I mean, a faster close time). I'm sure there is something out there that woudl fit. Maybe something like the S2000's springs? Maybe????
Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll put you in the wall

Good points
Guess one of us will have to try the Stand Alone route. I still have to many other things to buy first.

And OMG I'd love to be able to make power up to 8K. Thats would be killer! I agree there would likely need to be a valvetrain upgrade. I bet you (As in anybody) could find a spring that would fit, that is stronger (Stronger I mean, a faster close time). I'm sure there is something out there that woudl fit. Maybe something like the S2000's springs? Maybe????

Possibly, as many honda parts are interchangeable. What about any NSX parts? I know its a DOHC head instead of our single cam. S2000 could work, and if it would then K series would work too I believe. I think a buddy was going to use s2000 springs in his K swap. I used k20a type r springs (in my old K series) which are dual from the factory and they held up really well past 8000. something to look into, maybe we could compare them.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um no, Since you even said that, you should just shut up and quit posting here. You obviusly have no clue what your talking about.

If you actaully were trying to learn somthing I could understand. But you act like you are all knowing, but you don't have a clue.

Trying to read your text messages are giving me a friggin headache.

1) no matter what, you'd have to tune ur ecu

2) i said turbo OR performance cams, read well

3) you CAN lower your v-tec to 3000 without losing power for v-tec doesn't work well in low speeds (obviously).

4) do you even kno how many valves for each piston are in a v-tec engine?? (just out of curiosity)!

DONE!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Dude your a fucking retard and need to learn basic english! You said turbo cams. If you meant a turbo, cams, ect. (Notice the commas dumb ass) then I could have understood what you were saying. If you would have typed your shit right there would not have been any confusion. You really sound like you know what your talking about.

Quit useing text message langauge on a forum, you look like a retard.

and lets go back to grammar school for it is etc. not ect. etc. stands for et cetera, but you probably already knew this since ur so smart!

and do me a favor, watch your language, you don't know if kids are reading this!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Dude your a fucking retard and need to learn basic english! You said turbo cams. If you meant a turbo, cams, ect. (Notice the commas dumb ass) then I could have understood what you were saying. If you would have typed your shit right there would not have been any confusion. You really sound like you know what your talking about.

do us a favor, watch your language, you dont know who is reading this, and uhh, why dont you check your spelling???

YOU'RE as in YOU ARE, not YOUR as in YOUR POSSESSION

and is USING, you're supposed to take the e away and replace it with ing, remember that in 2nd grade???

idiot!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced

do us a favor, watch your language, you dont know who is reading this, and uhh, why dont you check your spelling???

and is USING, you're supposed to take the e away and replace it with ing, remember that in 2nd grade???

idiot!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Drifting

Dude, you are in no position to be lecturing any one on either grammar or the workings of an engine. Kindly STFU now.

This is an interesting thread you guys have going here, save for this knob.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

idiot!

You forgot to mention he spelled language incorrectly too Way to go CH46ESeaKnight, you rip on someone on how they can't use correct Engrish and you have +5 grammar mistakes in your post. So who's the real retard?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
How is that possible? a light weight crank pully has nothing to do with your shift points of your gear ratio. I think you confused? It might help with the reacceleration from 3rd to 4th but it's not going to make a bit of diff for falling out of V-tec. 3rd to 4th will always fall from V-tec unless you 1. raise the rev limiter, or 2. change the gear ratio, 3. Lower V-tec.
I'm not confused. I know it has nothing to do with shift points or gear ratio. I'm just telling you what my tach says when I shift from 3rd to 4th. Maybe in fact it does fall out of Vtec for a split second but when looking at the NEO when I shifted from 3rd to 4th, and this is taking 3rd all the way to red line, like a nano second longer i woulda bounced off the limiter, I would be right back at 4750rpms. So theorectically I did fall out of vtec but that was only for 50rpms which aint shit. Ok I'm rambling now but the crank pulley will keep the engine revving faster and reduce the strain on it from the heavy cast iron pulley.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by davepaul033
225/40/18 and yeah i have a type s. Didnt know it engaged at 4800 thought it was 5 something
i asked because u mentioned dyno shows engine at 6800 but tach at 7100 (which btw the published fuel cut number for type S is 7100 ((not directed at u ) ... your 225/40/18 is shorter than stock so tach reaches 7100 before engine ...hum seems like we've been here before ! we need a dyno of a taller than stock 245/45/17 and see what happens
Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Dude, you are in no position to be lecturing any one on either grammar or the workings of an engine. Kindly STFU now.

This is an interesting thread you guys have going here, save for this knob.

im sorry sir, and you must be? 'cause i don't recall you suggesting anything in this thread? because all im saying is, don't raise the rev limiter, and here you are out of nowhere, commenting on what i say? mind your beeswax a moment please! and if im wrong, then correct me, dont be anal about it, grow up!

oh and please, tell us what you recommend we do to fix the 3rd to 4th problem!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm shutting this thread down if you kids can't play nice.

Next member that wants to throw down gets teh .

I don't care who it is.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

idiot!
WOW, that is the first thing you have said, that is actually correct, makes any sense at all, and is actually legible!

Congrats!

Now to get back on topic... """"L's TL""" I understand now what your saying. Maybe I'm going at the question wrong? Maybe it is not so much Vtec that I want to get back into, it's the higher RPM.

I guess there is really nothing to do about our 3rd to 4th shift being so wide. Not without spending a butt load of money anyways.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BigLizard
I'm shutting this thread down if you kids can't play nice.

Next member that wants to throw down gets teh .

I don't care who it is.
i got nipples greg can u milk me ...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR

:
Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
oh and please, tell us what you recommend we do to fix the 3rd to 4th problem!
I think all is fair in brainstorming here, so if someone is not as technically savvy as some, then we should cut them some slack . . . that is until they close their minds and get combative.

Anyway, I'd love to fix the 4th gear issue. As for 3rd gear, I believe that my current mods do a fair job as the performance is now noticeably better than stock.

Back to 4th, I don't have the technical expertise on these cars that I had on Chevy V8s and such. That said, while it would be interesting to find out what the results are by changing VTEC engagement via a dyno test, we need to realize that dyno results and improved track results don't always go hand in hand.

The basic controls I feel that we have over 4th gear are:
1) Gearing
2) Increasing HP across the powerband

Other mods such as changing VTEC won't actually improve 4th gear performance, but it could in theory make more power in 1st-3rd and help you get better 1/4 times and let you hang with cars longer than before . . but once in 4th it's going to come down to gearing and power.

As for me, I'd love to see us get a few 100 more RPM out of 1st-3rd as this engine will easily do so. I'm also fairly certain that bumping the RPM a bit will help 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The question is how do effectively do that.

Ruf
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Drifting

You could always lower you final drive ratio. It'd move the RPMs up across the board and that might create problems with the lower gears being too low. Gas mileage would suffer but that doesn't seem to be a concern here.

Short of tearing into the transmission, you're options are limited.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR

You kill me.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BigLizard

You kill me.
thought u might like that
Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Advance

yes u do lose after 6800 but they want to raise it so that when u go into 4th gear, u have a better chance of getting into v-tec so its kinda worth losin a lil bit of power for 5 seconds reaching 7500 but once u go into 4th gear and ur already around 4500 but, that doesnt make ne sense, doesnt the computer like automatically bring it down to that certain rpm ?? maybe its something to do with tuning ur ecu, no???
In the 6spd models, which most of these members have, you're in VTEC each gear if you shift at redline. For us 5AT guys, fourth gear blows because its an overdrive gear and we drop out of VTEC for quite a bit of time.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
install a super charger & problem is solved.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
install a super charger & problem is solved.

I wish!