raced a new M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raced a new M5

The thread about the 540i reminded me of this. This happened about a month ago when I had my yellow 2000 Acura Integra Type R. It was about 4:30PM on a weekday so traffic was starting to build. I was driving on Route 17 N in NJ when I caught a glimpse of the M5 in my rearview mirror several cars back. I was in the fast lane and he was weaving his way up through traffic. He pulled into the right lane so I downshifted and followed him and caught up pretty quickly. We both got onto Route 287 S and played a little cat and mouse game. I would pull ahead and he would eventually catch up do to his 400hp. At one point, I was winding it out in 3rd and he caught up but decided to back off. This guy did not know how to drive his car or just didn't want to push it all the way. He was obviously angry that his $70K car coupled with his lack of driving skill could not match my $25K car driven to its potential. I know that a new M5, driven to its full potential, would kill the ITR and CLS and probably match my dad's C5 Corvette.
Old 03-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Banned

Good kill!! However, I'm not denying that you killed him, but ,sometimes, you have to think about it like this; his car is worth 3 TIMES more than your car, and it really wasn't meant to be track king like your car. That's the reality.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 03-26-2001, 09:26 PM
Racer

Yeah, most people don't have the balls to push a $70K car to its limits.
Old 03-27-2001, 01:49 AM
Banned

Wasn't meant to be track king? What do you think the whole M team is about? They put these cars out for the fun of it? Man, you need to get your stories straight. That guy just didn't know how to drive that car. Why in hell would you buy a 70k sports car if you don't want to drive it hard?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
Good kill!! However, I'm not denying that you killed him, but ,sometimes, you have to think about it like this; his car is worth 3 TIMES more than your car, and it really wasn't meant to be track king like your car. That's the reality.

</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
Old 03-27-2001, 08:12 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
Wasn't meant to be track king? What do you think the whole M team is about? They put these cars out for the fun of it? Man, you need to get your stories straight. That guy just didn't know how to drive that car. Why in hell would you buy a 70k sports car if you don't want to drive it hard?

</font>
In fact, when you buy an M5, one of the included perks is the Performance Center Course here in scenic Spartanburg. Pro BMW drivers/instructors, state of the art teaching facilities, factory M5's (so you don't have to wail on your new $85,000 baby ) and all the lap time you can cram into the couple of days you're there.

Damn - sounds like fun huh?

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 03-27-2001, 08:12 PM
Banned

OKAY....would you buy thrash your M3 to win a road race!?!

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-27-2001, 08:14 PM
Banned

I believe you guys that a car needs to be driven.....but who is actually the target market for a 70K car!?! A mid-40 120-150K/per year male.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
In fact, when you buy an M5, one of the included perks is the Performance Center Course here in scenic Spartanburg. Pro BMW drivers/instructors, state of the art teaching facilities, factory M5's (so you don't have to wail on your new $85,000 baby ) and all the lap time you can cram into the couple of days you're there.

Damn - sounds like fun huh?

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-27-2001, 08:37 PM
Pro

Trust me, that guy in the M5 wasn't racing you... Have you ever driven one? He was just messing with you. It doesn't take much talent to go fast in an M5, hell, you can leave DSC on and still pull low to mid 5s. I hope you don't consider that a kill. The target market for the M5 is defenenally mid to upper 40s, but very few M5 drivers live off 120-150k. As for Spartanburg, I look forward to going with my Dad in July to the Performance center track in M5s.
Old 03-27-2001, 08:55 PM
Banned

Just a guesstimate...it is for the working rich...probably closer to 150-200k really....
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by someguy:
Trust me, that guy in the M5 wasn't racing you... Have you ever driven one? He was just messing with you. It doesn't take much talent to go fast in an M5, hell, you can leave DSC on and still pull low to mid 5s. I hope you don't consider that a kill. The target market for the M5 is defenenally mid to upper 40s, but very few M5 drivers live off 120-150k. As for Spartanburg, I look forward to going with my Dad in July to the Performance center track in M5s.</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-27-2001, 09:00 PM
Racer

Trust me, that guy in the M5 wasn't racing you... Have you ever driven one? He was just messing with you. It doesn't take much talent to go fast in an M5, hell, you can leave DSC on and still pull low to mid 5s. I hope you don't consider that a kill. The target market for the M5 is defenenally mid to upper 40s, but very few M5 drivers live off 120-150k. As for Spartanburg, I look forward to going with my Dad in July to the Performance center track in M5s.</font>
I think the guy probably just left it in 5th or 6th gear the whole time because it would take him a while to start to pull on me.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Instructor

You'll get a real air conditioning workout too! I'm in Mauldin, about 20 miles away from the plant. It is HOT in July Should be a hell of a good time though - let us know!

Local knowledge (personal opinions here): golf - Ponte Verdae, food - big $$$, Soby's on Main Street, medium $$, CityRange on Haywood, 'adult entertainment' - Platinum Plus off Roper Mountain, sports bar - Bailey's on the Motor Mile (Lauren's Road), live sports - G-braves are in season then, stadium is in Mauldin on Butler Road off I-85, downtown is pretty cool in general along with West End Market. Bon appetite!

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 09:22 PM
Pro

You'll get a real air conditioning workout too! I'm in Mauldin, about 20 miles away from the plant. It is HOT in July Should be a hell of a good time though - let us know!

Local knowledge (personal opinions here): golf - Ponte Verdae, food - big $$$, Soby's on Main Street, medium $$, CityRange on Haywood, 'adult entertainment' - Platinum Plus off Roper Mountain, sports bar - Bailey's on the Motor Mile (Lauren's Road), live sports - G-braves are in season then, stadium is in Mauldin on Butler Road off I-85, downtown is pretty cool in general along with West End Market. Bon appetite!

</font>
Yea, it will be a lot of fun. BMW has planned this very well, one day at the Biltmore estate in Ashville, NC. We leave at 10:30 in M coupes and Roadsters (I hope they are 2001s with 315hp) and don't have to be back till 5pm. Any fun roads between Spartanberg and Ashville? Then the other day 8:30 to 5 in M5s on the Track YES!!! I can't wait. No time for anything else, will only be there for 2 days and dinner is with the group of M5 owners, oh well.

[This message has been edited by someguy (edited 03-27-2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 10:55 PM
Instructor

dunno - normally would stay on I-26 from Sparklecity straight up. I'm sure they've got the primo roads already scoped out though. Maybe hwy 25 up from Hendersonville? It's a two lane twistie, but traffic can suck They might turn you lose on the Parkway too, which is a hell of a view and non-stop curves . Beware las touristas there also

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 11:38 PM
Pro

dunno - normally would stay on I-26 from Sparklecity straight up. I'm sure they've got the primo roads already scoped out though. Maybe hwy 25 up from Hendersonville? It's a two lane twistie, but traffic can suck They might turn you lose on the Parkway too, which is a hell of a view and non-stop curves . Beware las touristas there also

</font>
Great, we will follow the twisties. I don't know how they will take us, be we can go anywhere we want. If the school takes the interstate, we will not
Old 03-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Banned

You guys suck!!!
Great, we will follow the twisties. I don't know how they will take us, be we can go anywhere we want. If the school takes the interstate, we will not </font>

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-29-2001, 02:51 PM
Banned

I knew I should have taken advantange to the driving school when I bought my M3! Im kicking my self now for not doing that after reading all of your comments about how fun it is. I thought it was just a track and you just went around one track a million times. Sh!t!

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
Old 04-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

I knew I should have taken advantange to the driving school when I bought my M3! Im kicking my self now for not doing that after reading all of your comments about how fun it is. I thought it was just a track and you just went around one track a million times. Sh!t!

</font>
Well don't be afraid to sign up now! The BMWCCA ain't about cook outs ya know! Get out there and drive that car!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 PM
7th Gear

I know that a new M5, driven to its full potential, would kill the ITR and CLS and probably match my dad's C5 Corvette.[/QUOTE]

Cool story; no worries though, an M5 will get walked by your pop's C5.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
N00bs bringing back teh old threads...

Old 06-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow M5 Lite, thats a blast from past.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts