Quiet exhaust, but with more bass - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 02:09 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet exhaust, but with more bass - possible?

Been toying around with improving the sound and throttle response of my wife's 02 CL-s. An aftermarket intake is the obvious answer, but I'm a little worried about sound, so I'll probably just go with a K&N drop in. However, I would like to make that engine sound a little deeper. Is there any aftermarket cat-back that would accomplish this? Bolt on is a must and it really can't be too radical, because my wife will flip. She doesn't get the whole exhaust sound thing. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Jcharm
Old 05-17-2002, 03:36 AM
Pro

Re: Quiet exhaust, but with more bass - possible?

Originally posted by jcharm
Been toying around with improving the sound and throttle response of my wife's 02 CL-s. An aftermarket intake is the obvious answer, but I'm a little worried about sound, so I'll probably just go with a K&N drop in. However, I would like to make that engine sound a little deeper. Is there any aftermarket cat-back that would accomplish this? Bolt on is a must and it really can't be too radical, because my wife will flip. She doesn't get the whole exhaust sound thing. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Jcharm
What about trying to remove the resonator instead? You'll get a relatively deeper growl and costs nothing
Old 05-17-2002, 07:00 AM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

Re: Re: Quiet exhaust, but with more bass - possible?

Originally posted by FDao

What about trying to remove the resonator instead? You'll get a relatively deeper growl and costs nothing
Good plan.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:17 PM
10th Gear

That sounds like an awesome idea and the price ain't too bad either. Is this a common mod? Will the sound change just be a volume issue or will it actually sound different?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

headers make the car sound deeper
Old 05-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jcharm
That sounds like an awesome idea and the price ain't too bad either. Is this a common mod? Will the sound change just be a volume issue or will it actually sound different?
I would say it's not uncommon. It doesn't do much for performance, but you do get the relatively deeper growl. It has to do with the lack of muffling the intake noise .
Old 05-19-2002, 01:33 PM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

I removed my resonator on my 03 b/c they dont make an exact model of CAI for it yet. It has pronounced different sound to it. I would also look at the Greddy Evo exhaust, I heard it sounds like a V8.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:00 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two "resonators" being talked about here - one is that stupid thing on the air intake that just robs some horsepower. Then there's that one pre-muffler on the exhaust that is what FDao is probably talking about.

Changing the intake doesn't really affect the exhaust note, you just hear the intake a little more, so I'm pretty sure he's saying to get the pre-muffler removed. Might require a little welding by Meineke or whoever but give that a shot.

No one really does that though, because I think one guy did it and didn't like the sound.

Most people get Comptech or HKS exhaust. I can tell you the Comptech makes the car have a slight rumble while it's running which is nice, but I didn't notice much sound difference from inside when accelerating. Maybe if I was standing outside and listened to it go by I could tell better.

I can't help you with the HKS, which I like how it looks but haven't heard in real life.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Got BOOST????

the 5 zigen fireballs have a deep sound, plus, if they are too loud for you, you can put in the silencers. i keep them out all the time.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to hear your car, I bet it sounds PHAT. You going to the PAA June meet?
Old 05-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Got BOOST????

don't know yet, i have to find out. have you had any problem with your camber kit? i installed them and the front i had to raise because the controll arm was hitting the strut tower on the inside.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JRock
There are two "resonators" being talked about here - one is that stupid thing on the air intake that just robs some horsepower. Then there's that one pre-muffler on the exhaust that is what FDao is probably talking about.

Changing the intake doesn't really affect the exhaust note, you just hear the intake a little more, so I'm pretty sure he's saying to get the pre-muffler removed. Might require a little welding by Meineke or whoever but give that a shot.

No one really does that though, because I think one guy did it and didn't like the sound.

JRock,

Hehehe...actually I was talking about the intake resonator, since it's a freebie compared to removing the exhaust resonator, which would cost money for the welding part. Either one will give a different engine note, depending on where you want to hear the low sound.