question for V1 people

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for V1 people

If you get a chance, try this test:
1) turn the V1 off.
2) aim the front of it directly into the sun.
make sure the sun is directly shining
into either the front or rear laser
detector.
3) turn power on

4) when the self-test beeps start, do you still get the laser doo-dee-doo-dee test tone or is this skipped?

thanks!
Old 10-08-2001, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is why I am asking.
I had a quirky problem with my V1. It works fine with no problems, but I was having an intermittant problem with the laser power-on test. I would not get the test tone. If I hit the V1 with the tv remote, it picked up the laser signal just fine, but twice it failed the power-on laser test, but only first thing in the morning.
Sent it in to valentine, they did a full test, temp test, component test, road test. Came back with no problems found.
Last week it happended again, but this time I was able to reproduce the results over and over. I had cables running from both my cars trying to figure out why it would work, then fail, then work, etc.

Turns out, at a certain time the sun shines directly into my garage door at such an agle it floods the V1's radar sensor as its mounted on the windshield. It happens with either front or rear sensors, but with the sun directly shining in front of the unit, the laser test tone fails. The unit does still pick up laser signals with the sun beaming it, as my remote control test verified.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:59 AM
Race Director

The laser test tones do not have to sound off in order to enable laser detection does it?

BTW, how much time do you really have on your hands? What are you getting at? I never pay attention to the power up tones....
Old 10-09-2001, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Power-up tones are a self-test so you know the V1 is functioning properly. I was surprised when I had my first missed test tone.

When I didn't hear the laser test tone, I thought my laser detect circuit was bad, or something else was bad. Valentine service indicated something could be up and recommended to send it in. After a thourough test, it is find. But then I had the glitch again. A radar locator is something you need to have trust in, and my confidence was a bit shaken with it. Then I isolated the problem, after eliminating my install and cables.

Just want to see if this happens with all V1's, as I only have 1 to test, or is there something up with mine. Electronics are finicky when you have an intermittant problem.

And for your question, no you do not need to hear the test tones for it to work. Even though I didnt' get the laser test tones, my vcr remote control was still detected.

thanks!

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: fast_daddy_car ]
Old 10-09-2001, 12:55 PM
Midnight Marauder

Is there a way to mount the detector so that it is hidden from 5-0? Like if there were a roof-pocket that could be added to mount it in so that it beams out the front but cannot be really seen by cops if they pull you over, like in VA (illegal)...
Old 10-09-2001, 02:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by NOMAD:
<STRONG>Is there a way to mount the detector so that it is hidden from 5-0? Like if there were a roof-pocket that could be added to mount it in so that it beams out the front but cannot be really seen by cops if they pull you over, like in VA (illegal)...</STRONG>
you should try the K40 if you want that, it puts sensors in your mirrors and bumpers and takes the place of your cigarette lighter
Old 10-09-2001, 03:53 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Originally posted by CLpower:
<STRONG>

you should try the K40 if you want that, it puts sensors in your mirrors and bumpers and takes the place of your cigarette lighter</STRONG>
where can I get some additional info on this K40 unit?

Nevermind.. found it... http://www.k40.com/

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: SidVicious ]
Old 10-10-2001, 04:41 PM
Midnight Marauder

I couldn't see a price but I bet it's pretty high. Maybe in the future but I guess not now.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2001, 02:37 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

I love my V1 for it's radar capabilities, but the laser sensor's only function is to tell you you've just been had. If the bogey is close when he shoots you and the V1 (or any other laser detector) is mounted high in the traditional, right of the rear view mirror position, you probably won't get any alarm at all.

I think the only reason Valentine includes a laser detector at all is that other radar detectors have them too.