Question for Atlanta CL-S Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Atlanta CL-S Owners

I need some opinions from some ATL CL-S owners.
My current car is an automatic, and I have had an itch to drive a manual again. I am pretty excited about the idea of a "potential" 6-speed CL-S. However, I also have to look at the rational side since I live in Atlanta and traffic can get pretty brutal sometimes. Fortunately, for me I am able to avoid a lot of traffic for most of my daily drive to work, so the thought of having to drive a manual on a daily basis doesn't bother me. But, it is just a matter of time before my decent commute becomes as bad as everyone elses.
The lease on my current vehicle ends in mid-Sept. So I am not in a rush, however, I know there is not a set date for the 2002 models to be available and it's possible it could be as late as Nov.
My question is a two parter-
1)Would you own a manual living in Atlanta? Sometimes I wonder if the fun would wear off after a year and I know the sportshift does give you some of the feel of a manual.
2)I think I am in a position in the next month to get a really good deal on a CL-S with the 2002's around the corner. Plus, it appears to me that the ATL isn't a hot market for the CL-S. I was at Nalley a week ago and they had a long row of them sitting on their lot. I have a feeling I could really bargain on a loaded one (including Navi) if I played the game right.

If I went for a 2001, here's what I'd want:
Silver or White with a spoiler and Navigation. 3-yr lease. 12K miles and under $400 mo w/tax. I have seen them being offered as close as a month ago at those terms for $379 w/out Nav.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks-
PNC
Old 07-31-2001, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Ok, here is my option on the manual thing, when i first moved to Atlanta i owned a M3 with a five speed. It wasn't that bad at first but i do a lot of driving and that means a lot of Atl. traffic jams..This is why i bought the CL-S in the first place, so i can drive it on a daily bases. As far a the SS, it doesn't come close to a manual in anyway. As far a getting a good deal, you can go to any Acura dealer in Atl. and pretty much have the pick of any 2001 you want, they don't seem to be selling well here at all..So it comes down to what you want, and if you can deal with a 6speed or not. If you do a lot of driving and get stuck in the wonderful traffic all the time you will probably want an auto.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:19 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

If I were to ever own a manual car in Atlanta again, it would be my "toy" car for weekend playing. Sure, I wish my CL-S had a manual occasionally while I am commuting, but I get over it quickly. I cannot romp it in Auto without running over somebody doddling along as it is. Manual would make me really want to whip thru traffic (and get hurt). When I hit a traffic jam, I just slouch down in the seat and crank the tunes and relax.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:25 PM
Racer

Living here in ATL really makes me not feel that bad for having an automatic. Traffic on 85 and 285 is just insane.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro

never had a stick here in atlanta, but my wife used to , and it was a nightmare. Bumper to bumper traffic sucks with a stick , especially day after day . It gets old real fast.
As a weekend car a stick would be a must. But as a daly driver there is no way . That is one of the reasons I love the Cl-S , best of both worlds, with the SS.
get the CL-s 2001, you will get a great deal .
Old 08-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Advanced

I have been giving it a lot of thought and after reading your responses, I think the wisest thing will be to go with the Auto/SS. While I REALLLLYYYY love the fun of driving a manual, I do think the fun will wear off after a year or so of traffic battles. As long as the SS will give me some ability to run through the gears myself, then that should satisfy me more than having just a straight auto like I have today.
One other question I have is in regards to dealers. Has anyone worked with Acura Carland? I talked with a really cool salesguy there today who amazingly not only seems to know a lot about the cars, but seems to really like talking about the cars and how to improve their performance. Now that's a rarity.
The people at Nalley know less than I do, and the same goes for Ed Voyles. Ed Voyles Honda dealership is pretty solid, but the Acura dealership doesn't appear quite as impressive.
Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:41 AM
Intermediate

PNC,

That's Nick D. at Carland. He's genuine and become a friend of mine even though I leased my car from Voyles. But doing some legwork on COmptech springs led me to Carland and Nick.

My previous car, 97Prelude SH, was a stick, but I wanted out of that given our traffic. I'm totally happy with CLS. SS is OK, but when i really want to feel like I'm shifting, I drop it into 1, then slide it right to 2, then up to D3. Don't miss the stick and wouldn't have one for daily driver

Kevin
Old 08-01-2001, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Steve-
Yep, Nick is the guy I spoke to. I really appreciated his enthusiasm and knowledge on the CL.
Just curious why you chose to lease from Ed Voyles instead of Carland? I saw that you got your springs installed there and seem to have a good experience. You also however recommended getting new tires in order to get a better handling gain. Unfortunately, I won't be able to justify (to my wife) buying a new set of tires for a new car.
Do you think it is still worth it to have it done even without the tires?

Thholr-
Where is Sutherlin Acura? I haven't heard of it?

Thanks-
PNC
Old 08-01-2001, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by PhatNastyCat:
<STRONG>Steve-

Thholr-
Where is Sutherlin Acura? I haven't heard of it?

Thanks-
PNC</STRONG>
I know there is a Sutherlin Honda, but i never knew there was a Acura.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

PNC, main reason I leased from Voyles was it was closer to me. I live near Buckhead,and PIB has Acura, lexus, Audi near by and GLobal Imports for BMW was close enough, so I did a lot of Satuday back to back drives to sort out how the cars compared on different roads.

Nick will let you test drive a CLS with the springs at Carland. It is a big improvment even with the stock tires, but if you ever accidentally spill acid on your stocks, get the TOyos. I'd guess my handling gains are 60% tires and 40% springs. No way I'd do springs and sways and keep stock tires.

Kevin