Quaker State oil? parafin wax based? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaker State oil? parafin wax based? wtf?

ok, i have these free oil changes at this place and they use Quaker State oil. Have gotten 2 changes at this place already. Then I was searching through the archives and heard people say some Q-state is parafin wax based and is real garbage. Well, I didn't bother to ask what kind of Q-state it was other than the grade 5w-30. Which kind of Q-state is parafin wax based and which ones aren't? So is this stuff serious? I always though Q-state was a decent oil.......I always change at 3000 miles also. Let me know so I can at least change to another oil next time.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:55 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Try doing a search on Jeeves - ask.com

I will try that later, I would like to know the answer myself
Old 01-29-2002, 09:10 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Quaker State oil? parafin wax based? wtf?

Originally posted by Boeing747
ok, i have these free oil changes at this place and they use Quaker State oil. Have gotten 2 changes at this place already. Then I was searching through the archives and heard people say some Q-state is parafin wax based and is real garbage. Well, I didn't bother to ask what kind of Q-state it was other than the grade 5w-30. Which kind of Q-state is parafin wax based and which ones aren't? So is this stuff serious? I always though Q-state was a decent oil.......I always change at 3000 miles also. Let me know so I can at least change to another oil next time.
all non-syntheic oils have parafin wax in them. Oil=lipid and wax is also a lipid, if i'm correct. There isn't anythign inherently bad with non-syn oils but since they just brake down earlier than a full-syn oil would because of chemical make-up. I've read that non-syn oils lead to build up in your engine. It shouldn't be a problem so don't get worried about it.

To answer your question, if q-state has a full-syn oil then it won't have any parafin wax. The stuff isn't serious. I switched to fully synthetic for piece of mind. I'd stick with 5w-30 fully synthetic because I switched to 10w-30 and noticed a decrease in peformance because the thickness of oil, MPG, acceleration etc., etc., I've used 5w-30 ever since and have been really happy.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Quaker State Oil

I found that Quaker State Oil is the ONLY motor oil I have used that broke down under normal engine temperatures.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:53 PM
Pro

Castrol Syntec not fully synthetic

There was a big lawsuit a while back when Castrol changed their fully synthetic formula to a non-synthetic base. Mobil sued indicating that Castrol could no longer claim 100% synthetic. Apparently it is still a 'purer' base but not synthetic. Castrol is still allowed to claim full synthetic but they lost me as a customer. I'll stick with Mobil 1 5w-30.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to pay for synthetic. For Petes sake, buy redline.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

no, i'm not using synthetic and won't be for a long time. I am talking about regular Q-state oil.....the quality of it. A ton of people around here use Q-state 5w-30 dino at the Jiffy Lube here. I just got scared when someone told me Q-state is the worst you can put in your engine. I did a search and found no real solid info.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Red X

Re: Quaker State oil? parafin wax based? wtf?

Originally posted by Boeing747
where at winston tires. i have the free lifetime oil change. i think they use union 76 oil. is that any oil good???
Old 01-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro

i seriously doubt all these people calling pennzoil "shi*zoil" and quaker state "quaker crap." quaker state is a pretty good oil and i don't think there is anythign wrong with it. you also said you change every 3000 miles, right? show me some proof about quaker state being bad......
Old 02-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

i checked more on the Q-state dino oil causing massive amounts of sludge. i heard from many mechanics that this USED to be the problem with Q-state, Pennzoil and valvoline. They said these days this should not be a problem for our engines as long as we change the dino oil regularly. So don't be afraid of Jiffy Lube then, i guess....

anyone else have any commments? I find it interesting that there is a lot of bad things floating around about these oil brands.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:15 PM