Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protection Against Laser

http://www.lidatek.com/

Looks like i found my new toy!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take 2!

I get Laser'd everytime I make the trip down the Eastern Shore.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:34 PM
East Coast Boost.!

get it and tell us how it is
Old 05-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Titand19,
don't have access to laser gun but I will be purchasing this without a doubt I'll be traveling in stealth mode
Old 05-28-2003, 02:44 PM
'Cooter

it's $450

and i wouldn't call our car small either
Old 05-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Scooter
it's $450

and i wouldn't call our car small either

How much did you pay for your V1 and remote view?? It's well worth it don't you think?
Old 05-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Racer

$450 ???

"The Laser ECHO LE-20 only fires its jamming pulse for 5 seconds and then shuts off and recycles for 60 seconds."

Why would it only last 5 seconds?
Old 05-28-2003, 03:01 PM
It's Always Shabbat

maybe so if they try to hit you again, and it doesn't register, then they can tell you're doing something to thwart the laser..

by turning off, and giving you a chance to slow down, it seems as if they just missed the reading.. (sounds right to me, according to the faq on their web site.. thje ydont encourage speeding, they give you time to slow down before getting fined)
Old 05-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JaySyn77
$450 ???

"The Laser ECHO LE-20 only fires its jamming pulse for 5 seconds and then shuts off and recycles for 60 seconds."

Why would it only last 5 seconds?

I assume because of the heat that is emitted by firing mechinism.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:47 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Probably not the heat. The transmitter is probably thru an LED, which don't get that hot. It is probably like elliot said, so they don't know you are jamming.

Now, the 60 second dwell time...I dunno why that is so long. Anyone?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

NO, if they kept jamming then the cops would know whats up. but if it jams for 5 seconds *enough time to slow down* the cop will retag you at a lower speed
Old 05-28-2003, 05:33 PM

Thats tight.

This past weekend, I hit TONS of instant on Laser. Sometimes, my shit didn't even go off AT ALL! I had to rely on people up ahead of me.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

from the site.... "The Laser ECHO LE-20 only fires its jamming pulse for 5 seconds and then shuts off and recycles for 60 seconds. This allows a driver to correct their speed before getting a ticket. Our purpose is not to encourage speeding, but to allow people who are following the flow of traffic or who have drifted above the speed limit to adjust to the proper speed before being fined."
Old 05-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Instructor

I have Mountain Radar's radar/lazer jammer...it works
Old 05-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSKid
Thats tight.

This past weekend, I hit TONS of instant on Laser. Sometimes, my shit didn't even go off AT ALL! I had to rely on people up ahead of me.
where??
Old 05-29-2003, 12:08 AM
Race Director

I think that Company said it best in the first paragraph of the faq: There is no sense in wasting money on a function you don’t need.

I am suspect of their answer to the 60 seconds downtime. They say This allows a driver to correct their speed before getting a ticket. Our purpose is not to encourage speeding, but to allow people who are following the flow of traffic or who have drifted above the speed limit to adjust to the proper speed before being fined. Really? By disabling my unit?

Then someone asks will their device protect against airplanes? They say NO and The more primitive a method is, the harder it is to thwart. The best defense is to drive safely. Our purpose is not to encourage speeding, but to allow people who are following the flow of traffic or who have drifted above the speed limit to adjust to the proper speed before being fined.

If this thing works at all, I suppose you don't need to jam after 5 seconds but I would be afraid that a lot of lasers out there have anti-jamming circuitry.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Race Director

I read the manual.

Sounds like the unit is prone to false alarms. What happens if the device cannot pickup the laser? You get no protection?

And it sounds like our CL might require 2 units?

I will wait to see the review......
Old 05-29-2003, 03:08 AM
Instructor

Well. I've had the unit since it came out in 1996. I used it on my Maxima. then transferred it to my toyota 4 runner and now it's on my CLS. I can say that the original unit is somewhat different then their latest one however I suspect it's just an updated one. I have never have this thing false on me and everytime it alerts there was a cop within 2500 ft of me. Never been pulled over so I would say from my experience that it works, since everytime I was at least 10 MPH over the speed limit. Also the job I have, we use lidar to check the speed of our buses ( I work for the transit agency) and I have tested it against both models and on the older lidar gun the readout blanks out. On the newer lidar gun you get 0's and a code that tells you that the unit is most likely being jammed/sent a false signal. The new ladar guns have the ability to let the officer know that some type of interference device is being used. The manufactures
of these lidar units are well aware of the lidateck as well as 2 others that are currently on the market, so they are updating their units to alert officers to it's use. So what works today, more than likely won't tomorrow.

The good news is that these lidar units cost so much that most police departments are reluctant the purchase the new one and just used what they have, because they know that there is only a small percentage of people who buy the jammers due to their cost. So ya see the cost factor works for both.

I suspect that the unit I have is outdate and there's only a matter of time before I travel somewhere where they have those newer guns and I'll be pulled over and ding for both speeding and using a jammer.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:52 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Zapata
How much did you pay for your V1 and remote view?? It's well worth it don't you think?
i paid the same for the V1 for proven protection time and again...another $450 for a suspect product is an awfully big risk, especially for someone like u who's cost conscious

let's face it yer never gonna b 100% protected from the cops...whether yer spending $450, $900, or whatever...sure u give yerself a fighting chance having the equipment, but at what point will u feel safe enough to go 100+?? prolly never b/c yer ALWAYS gonna wonder if the equipment will work properly
Old 05-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i paid the same for the V1 for proven protection time and again...another $450 for a suspect product is an awfully big risk, especially for someone like u who's cost conscious

let's face it yer never gonna b 100% protected from the cops...whether yer spending $450, $900, or whatever...sure u give yerself a fighting chance having the equipment, but at what point will u feel safe enough to go 100+?? prolly never b/c yer ALWAYS gonna wonder if the equipment will work properly

:sqnteek: What is your basis for saying it is suspect?? Moreover, then why did you purchase a v1? Seems you are arguing against your own actions. As far as the cops go, I get pulled over for going the speed limit *cough* 9/11 *cough* so the 100mph thing really isn't my motivation. Protection is protection.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:35 AM
'Cooter

:sqnteek: What is your basis for saying it is suspect?? Moreover, then why did you purchase a v1? Seems you are arguing against your own actions. As far as the cops go, I get pulled over for going the speed limit *cough* 9/11 *cough* so the 100mph thing really isn't my motivation. Protection is protection.
what is my basis??? how bout the overall way it's SUPPOSED to work...reference Ken's comments too

y did i purchase a V1??? as i already stated, "...for PROVEN protection time and again"...$450 is justified here...another $450 isn't IMO...seems i am arguing against my own actions??? ummm no...it's called the price threshold level...y did u get a CLS and not a comparable bimmer??? cuz it was too $$, right??? price threshold level...everyone's is different, and since u've mentioned many times yer being cost conscious with modding yer ride (i.e. u had to choose 1 of 2 mods and not do both), i thought maybe this was too $$ a mod to purchase...was i wrong for thinking that???

yer first 2 posts in this thread were without a doubt a sign of yer next mod, but what about recent threads for rims, teins, and tires?? does the newest mod idea automatically get bumped to top of yer list??? sounds a bit like Lou's passion for mods
Old 05-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I've only been hit with Laser 4 times. 2 on I95 through Maryland, 2 in FL. I'm sure once Laser is very widspread, some new ways to defeat it will be out. I'll wait.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by rchavis
Well. I've had the unit since it came out in 1996. I used it on my Maxima. then transferred it to my toyota 4 runner and now it's on my CLS. I can say that the original unit is somewhat different then their latest one however I suspect it's just an updated one. I have never have this thing false on me and everytime it alerts there was a cop within 2500 ft of me. Never been pulled over so I would say from my experience that it works, since everytime I was at least 10 MPH over the speed limit. Also the job I have, we use lidar to check the speed of our buses ( I work for the transit agency) and I have tested it against both models and on the older lidar gun the readout blanks out. On the newer lidar gun you get 0's and a code that tells you that the unit is most likely being jammed/sent a false signal. The new ladar guns have the ability to let the officer know that some type of interference device is being used. The manufactures
of these lidar units are well aware of the lidateck as well as 2 others that are currently on the market, so they are updating their units to alert officers to it's use. So what works today, more than likely won't tomorrow.

The good news is that these lidar units cost so much that most police departments are reluctant the purchase the new one and just used what they have, because they know that there is only a small percentage of people who buy the jammers due to their cost. So ya see the cost factor works for both.

I suspect that the unit I have is outdate and there's only a matter of time before I travel somewhere where they have those newer guns and I'll be pulled over and ding for both speeding and using a jammer.
Ok so you've had it for a number of years. Do you recall seeing any credible reviews done on the devices? I'd like to read them....
Old 05-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

You need to clarify what you mean. Moreover, what does Ken know? With all due respect and I do respect his opinions and posts.

Both the BMW and the Acura do the job wonderfully. I bought the Acura because I need FWD car that performs and will continue to do so past 100k miles. Your analogy doesn't work. Radar and jamming equipement aren't the same thing.

There is another product out there, but it costs 2k I'm not spending 2k, right now atleast.

What do other threads have ANYTHING to do with the subject of this thread?? I was simply asking what other board members thought about certain modifications. I never said I'm getting the mod done this week or next week.

what is my basis??? how bout the overall way it's SUPPOSED to work...reference Ken's comments too

y did i purchase a V1??? as i already stated, "...for PROVEN protection time and again"...$450 is justified here...another $450 isn't IMO...seems i am arguing against my own actions??? ummm no...it's called the price threshold level...y did u get a CLS and not a comparable bimmer??? cuz it was too $$, right??? price threshold level...everyone's is different, and since u've mentioned many times yer being cost conscious with modding yer ride (i.e. u had to choose 1 of 2 mods and not do both), i thought maybe this was too $$ a mod to purchase...was i wrong for thinking that???

yer first 2 posts in this thread were without a doubt a sign of yer next mod, but what about recent threads for rims, teins, and tires?? does the newest mod idea automatically get bumped to top of yer list??? sounds a bit like Lou's passion for mods
Old 05-29-2003, 09:43 AM
'Cooter

Both the BMW and the Acura do the job wonderfully. I bought the Acura because I need FWD car that performs and will continue to do so past 100k miles. Your analogy doesn't work. Radar and jamming equipement aren't the same thing.

There is another product out there, but it costs 2k I'm not spending 2k, right now atleast.

What do other threads have ANYTHING to do with the subject of this thread?? I was simply asking what other board members thought about certain modifications. I never said I'm getting the mod done this week or next week.
thanks for proving my analogy when u said "There is another product out there, but it costs 2k I'm not spending 2k, right now atleast. "

and i asked u bout this vs. other threads where u expressed interest in teins, rims, and tires b/c of yer posts earlier..."new toy" specifically doesn't indicate something u'd wait for, but maybe i misinterpreted what u meant to say...still curious tho, with all the modding u wanna do, what's yer order of preference???
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

thanks for proving my analogy when u said "There is another product out there, but it costs 2k I'm not spending 2k, right now atleast. "

and i asked u bout this vs. other threads where u expressed interest in teins, rims, and tires b/c of yer posts earlier..."new toy" specifically doesn't indicate something u'd wait for, but maybe i misinterpreted what u meant to say...still curious tho, with all the modding u wanna do, what's yer order of preference???
Well I see what you are saying. However, I think there is a difference between 450 and 2,000, no?

As far as my mods go, welp I think i've pretty much decided that i'll do the least invasive modifications first. I'm a bit trigger shy after all the money i spent last time only to sell the car less than 6 months later. SO, teins are probably out of the question for a while. I'll have to live with the 4x4 look. Still wrestling with deciding whether to mod the daily driver or purchase a project car.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Race Director

You need to clarify what you mean. Moreover, what does Ken know? With all due respect and I do respect his opinions and posts.

Hehe, he just referenced my comments, the focus was suppose to be on the overall way it's SUPPOSED to work.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

Got ticket 2 days ago in Schaumburg, IL. 41 in 25 zone.

Cope was about 400 feet ahead in undercover car on the side of the business district road--2 lines in both directons and totally empty at 8pm.

That was the first time I heared my top-of-the-line Cobra 9860 detector I got 5 months ago go off with lazer alert--twice with interval of about a second or two. By the time I figured out what this type of alert means and slowed down, my fate was sealed

So here I am, just sent away $105 fine and sure wishing I had this jummer at the time...

Cop chatted with me nicely, was curious whether my detector picked up the laser, I admitted it did. He said a good laser it was 'cause other's detectors never picked it up supposedly (I figure they might have not wanted to give any extra info to the cop if they planned to go to court). Like it makes any difference for laser...once you hear it, it's too late, unless you have the jummer of course
Old 05-30-2003, 11:05 AM
TRELOS

For that kinda price it is NOT worth it. The biggest question that I would ask is what reading does it give back to the laser gun? Most of the laser jaming devices out there send back a reading of "0" (zero) that in turn tells the pig that u have a laser jammer. If the reading came back as nothing then swine would be able to tell if he is missing u or if the gun in not working properly.

So if the thing sends back a signal of "0" then it is useless, because the cop is just gonna pull u over anyway and issue u a ticket for improper speed. But before he issues u that ticket he is gonna cover all his ends and ask u (ON RECORD) if u have some type of lasar jaming device. U say no, he asks to take a quick look around ur car to make sure. At that point he doesn't need ur permission to look at the outside of ur car. He can see anywhere in or outside of ur vehicle as long as he doesn't have to move or open anything. If he finds anything, that will brought up in court against u when u fight it.

So my advice to u would be if u do purchase it. Have it installed flush with its surroundings ie. the bumper. And painted to look like one piece that way a porker won't be able to identify a laser jamer.

As for the radar jamers that they don't make anymore :COUGH: :COUGH: :BULLSHIT: :COUGH: . Find one on the internet, it should have something like a clear LED bulb. That clear LED bulb projects the same radar frequency back to radar guns. Purchase 2 and mount the bulbs in the fogs. Or purchase aftermarket fog light housings and keep the stock fogs. If u are somewhat electricaly inclined u can find instructions OL on how to make "radar" jamers from a simple house hold garage opener and a few resistors.

Juker008
Old 05-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

post that up.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by sbirger
Got ticket 2 days ago in Schaumburg, IL. 41 in 25 zone.

Cope was about 400 feet ahead in undercover car on the side of the business district road--2 lines in both directons and totally empty at 8pm.

That was the first time I heared my top-of-the-line Cobra 9860 detector I got 5 months ago go off with lazer alert--twice with interval of about a second or two. By the time I figured out what this type of alert means and slowed down, my fate was sealed

So here I am, just sent away $105 fine and sure wishing I had this jummer at the time...

Cop chatted with me nicely, was curious whether my detector picked up the laser, I admitted it did. He said a good laser it was 'cause other's detectors never picked it up supposedly (I figure they might have not wanted to give any extra info to the cop if they planned to go to court). Like it makes any difference for laser...once you hear it, it's too late, unless you have the jummer of course
But you said you got the warning early enough to slow down but you didn't? Cause you didn't figure it out.....

BTW, I thought everyone here said when you get warnings you slow down first automatically and look around later.....

Anyway most laser alerts you get no warning and you just get caught...but you had a chance. When I was in your same situation and got the warnings, I slowed down....and beat the laser.

Cop is right, most laser detectors simply don't work.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Best protectoin for laser is to never drive in front of the pack. Just drive behind someone.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

No, thinking back now, I do not think I had time to react: even if I heared the alert before and knew what it meant, it all lasted 2 secs max. Initially I was startled by the kind of signal--similar to that of "emergency vehicle approaching."

Glad to hear you managed to slow down, but I don't think it would be possible most of the times.

But, surely, one has to be carful in picking jammer, here is some food for thoughs:
http://www.escortradar.com/jammer.htm
Old 05-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
Best protectoin for laser is to never drive in front of the pack. Just drive behind someone.
Staying behind can improve your chances. If they can't get a reading off the first car, I've seen them take the second car. They only stop the car they have a reading for.

Dark color vehicles with lots of plastic up front are hard to get a reading from. Plus, cops profile. Anything clean with window tint will get stopped before a minivan.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by sbirger
No, thinking back now, I do not think I had time to react: even if I heared the alert before and knew what it meant, it all lasted 2 secs max. Initially I was startled by the kind of signal--similar to that of "emergency vehicle approaching."

Glad to hear you managed to slow down, but I don't think it would be possible most of the times.

But, surely, one has to be carful in picking jammer, here is some food for thoughs:
http://www.escortradar.com/jammer.htm

Yes I know that sound. And it doesn't ramp up or anything...it just goes off, full blast. 2 seconds and some hard braking might have saved you.

Chicago is crazy man. Last time I was up there, I saw no less than two dozen speed traps. Oakbrook Terrace near the mall on 83, I290 in and out of downtown and up north, Northbrook and Northfield, around Ohare in the Rosemount and Elk Grove Village area, those long roads all thru the Forest Preserve, and of course Lake Shore Drive is a constant speed trap. It's a racket.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, they just make money of you. Another simingly useful article:
http://www.k40.com/Dealers/DealerSup...0LASERWARS.PDF
Old 05-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

Found another 2 favarable reviews: under controlled conditions and day-to-day use:

http://www.radartest.com/3LASJM.html
http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/test4.shtml

Thus, Laser Echo indeed seems to be the best. I think I'll buy it--will probably pay for itself fast, Chicago suburbs are swarming with cops. Maybe singe module will do the trick, so it'd be $350, not $450. Instruction says single module would be enough if the distance between the licence plate and headlight is no more than 18 inches. And after reading "Laser Wars report" link (my previous post) I know where the number came from: "At five hundred feet the laser’s elliptical beam is a mere 18" wide..." it says. Need to measure it for CL...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Only Broke CL member

i can get blinder laser jammers if anyone is interested please pm me its much cheaper comes with two units and i can give my word that it works
Old 05-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Hm, but very negative review for LE-20 model specifically...
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=8502
Old 05-31-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Meth
I have Mountain Radar's radar/lazer jammer...it works
I hope your smiley means you were being sarcastic. From radartest.com:

"It's a tall claim to be able to jam both radar and laser from a single small box, since these totally different technologies demand completely different jamming techniques. But we gave Rocky Mountain Radar's expensive jammer its due and made multiple runs against all eleven radar and laser guns on hand. The results were in keeping with past tests of RMR jammers: none of the radar and laser guns had the slightest difficulty in clocking the jammer-equipped vehicle. And at no time did the Black Widow indicate that it was being hit with a radar or laser. The control module did continue to reliably produce its light show, however."

Quick Reply: Protection Against Laser