Power seat dead - did I kill it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Power seat dead - did I kill it?

Hello, I have a problem with my 2003 CL-S 6-speed. I had the stuck recliner gear problem (I could hear the recline motor trying, and all of the functions of the 4-way switch worked fine), and I wasn't able to free the gear by prying with a screwdriver, so I thought I was going to have to disassemble the seat and figure out what the mechanical problem was (the motor was working when removed from the seat and the switch was moved in either direction).

I took out the seat, but I failed to disconnect the battery first. Yes, I am a dumbass.

Once I had the seat out and removed both plastic covers on the left side of the seat, I thought it was going to be a horrible job, so I reread the advice about freeing the gears. I used a BFH and a screwdriver to move the big gear slightly (motor removed), then I used a screwdriver to pry against the gear teeth, moving the gear through a significant range, back and forth. I used some Fluidfilm, trying to get it down to the center of the big gear. I then put everything back together, and reinstalled the seat in the car.

Once everything was back together, the seat was totally DEAD. Neither switch on the side of the seat does anything. Even worse, the seat is in the full forward position, requiring some serious contortions to wedge myself inside, just to back the car out of my storage shelter, so I can work on it. The car is basically undrivable, due to the seat position.

I have checked all of the fuses (40A under the hood, and every fuse in both of the dashboard end fuse boxes).

The multi prong connector under the seat has power only at the blue and at the blue/white wires. The wires in the multi prong connectors at each end of the switch module have no power at any of the wires.

The seat frame is not grounded, but grounding it makes no difference.

What should I check next?

Have I fried the seat controller module? How can I check it?

Thanks much
Old 09-15-2024, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Update: I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. After reconnecting, no difference.

Update: The wires which have power at the multi connector under the seat: BLUE, WHITE w/ BLUE STRIPE, RED.
Old 09-15-2024, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
^
It looks like the #20 left reclining adjuster is discontinued.
Here's the closest driver side salvage yard 2G CL-S seat to you if you go that route?
2003 Acura CL Seat Assembly, Front-Stock# 192331 (car-part.com)

Old 09-15-2024, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeta
^
It looks like the #20 left reclining adjuster is discontinued.
Here's the closest driver side salvage yard 2G CL-S seat to you if you go that route?
2003 Acura CL Seat Assembly, Front-Stock# 192331 (car-part.com)

I fixed the frozen adjuster. Please reread my posts.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Update #2

I have just finished replacing the under seat control module with a second hand one. No difference. All seat functions are still totally dead.

How can I troubleshoot this problem?