Post-Zaino Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post-Zaino Question

Hey guys!

I just Zainoed the car yesterday! It feels so nice and smooth!

Couple questions though...

I did the Z1, then Z5 - I wanted to rid of the slight swirls in my car. It did a pretty damn decent job! However, is the shine supposed to be very noticable with Z1 and Z5 on? I know the Z2 has a more reflective layer, so it will shine better than the Z5, but is the Z5 very obvious? I also finished it off with some Z6 after wiping off the Z1 and Z5 combination.

Because the Z5 took care of most of the swirls and looks pretty clean now, I think I may apply Z6 and Z2 tonight, hopefully bringing upon a even better shine tomorrow!

MAIN QUESTION: Sorry for the all the questions! Because I drive to school, the car is out in the outside parking lot for the 7 hours I'm at school. And with the high pollen levels in Tampa right now, it really doesn't help my situation. There has already been a layer of pollen that has gathered upon my car! This frustrates me, because it doesn't show the true Z5! Is it safe to use the California Car Duster to wipe off the layer of pollen before applying the next coat of Z2 and Z6 tonight?

Thanks guys for your help! Homer2-I followed your instructions and the application was a piece of cake!

(I know this post should be in "Detailing," but I know that it's not as popular as "Car Talk". Furthermore, I want to apply the second coat tonight! So mods, if you would have the generosity to keep this post on until a decent answer is given, I would greatly appreciate it!)

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Kevin,

You should really wash your car before putting on any Z. The duster will remove some of the tuff on your car, but not all. The fact that it sits outside all day, there are more pollutants than just pollen on your paint.

The secret to Z is multiple coats. It should shine pretty well with a few.

I would suggest sticking with Z5 for a few more coats. then go to Z2. Z5 will do more filling than Z2 and will make the shine even deeper when you switch to Z2.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Next weekend I'm going to Zaino my car. I think z1 and z2.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:53 PM

I wonder what the neighbors think...

I washed my car with Dawn yesterday early morning, then washed it with Z7 in the evening before the "Z process"

Now, I'm supposed to wash it again - 3 times in two days?! You really need one before each coat?
Old 04-08-2002, 06:18 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by KCheng
I wonder what the neighbors think...

I washed my car with Dawn yesterday early morning, then washed it with Z7 in the evening before the "Z process"

Now, I'm supposed to wash it again - 3 times in two days?! You really need one before each coat?
in your case yes...simply b/c the pollen is so prevalent in your area...put it this way...if u simply Z6'd , u would get off MOST of the pollen...there would most likely b some residue left over...all u have to do is take the back of yer index finger and run it down a body panel...it's slightly more rough than a fresh coat of Z2/Z5 and Z6...don't forget that if u wash with Z7, it's like putting a small coat of Z2 on b/c Z7 has the same exact polishing compounds as Z2 in addition to the soap compounds...that's y when u wash, Z5, then Z6, the surface is sooooo slick, anything from a spec of dust to a droplet of water dances all over the place.

the only time i'll just put Z2/Z5 on without washing first is when i haven't taken my car out at all inbetween coats, otherwise, i don't wanna take any chances where any dirt/pollen gets on the surface and i Z2/Z5 b/c the dirt could scratch the surface and cause swirlies/fine scratches in the process of application/removal.

of course, if that's not anal enough, i can prob think of worse things
Old 04-08-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Scooter

of course, if that's not anal enough, i can prob think of worse things
Scooter:

Haha, alright - thanks a lot! I guess I'll coat Z5 one more time this weekend, then probably go Z2 as the next coat! Does it matter the time between coats? Because of going to school and all, I don't have time til the weekend to do another coat of Z5. Is there any time limit? I would figure not since I end up washing using Z7 again anyhow!

Also, a very important question - is the California Car Duster safe to use on the Z5/Z6 surface? Will it add any odd substances that are damaging to the Zaino? I just want to maintain the shine without all the damn pollen covering it...

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:39 PM
'Cooter

Scooter:

Haha, alright - thanks a lot! I guess I'll coat Z5 one more time this weekend, then probably go Z2 as the next coat! Does it matter the time between coats? Because of going to school and all, I don't have time til the weekend to do another coat of Z5. Is there any time limit? I would figure not since I end up washing using Z7 again anyhow!

Also, a very important question - is the California Car Duster safe to use on the Z5/Z6 surface? Will it add any odd substances that are damaging to the Zaino? I just want to maintain the shine without all the damn pollen covering it...

Thanks!
well i always wash and Z right after each other...and assuming u wanna do multiple coats of Z on any weekend, u have to wait between 8 and 24 hours before another coat...since u live in FL, a typical Sat morning for u could b wash and Z2/5 at 7AM...if u don't drive all day, Z2/5 again by around 6 - 8PM

there's a new product by Zaino called ZFX...what it does is mixes with existing Z2/Z5 to make the curing process instantaneous, and as a result, u can apply as many as 3 coats one after another right away...so u could have as many as 6 coats of Z on the car in 1 weekend.

i've never heard of the California Car Duster, so i can't really shed any light on that, sorry.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:50 PM

I'll look into the ZFX! I think I can stand just one coat a weekend right now though, of course, assuming that 7 days isn't too long a period between coats?

Thanks Scooter! You've been great help!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:55 PM
'Cooter

I'll look into the ZFX! I think I can stand just one coat a weekend right now though, of course, assuming that 7 days isn't too long a period between coats?

Thanks Scooter! You've been great help!
hey no problem...7 days isn't too long between coats...keep in mind the more coats, the better/easier it is as an effective barrier against dirt/pollen/dirty-birds/etc. (not to mention the car looks better and better)