PLEASE EXPLAIN. Road holding vs Actual performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE EXPLAIN. Road holding vs Actual performance

What gives?? (assuming the only factor is handling not HP and brakes and ect.) Does a car with a .92g rating pretty much always get around a corner or set of corners faster than a car with .86??

I have always been confused because of two reasons: i see the emergency lane change (i know brakes have something to do with this but) #'s and slalom #'s for some comparo's and they dont always (or hardly ever) go to the car with the best road holding? also you hear that grand turismo is the most realistic game when i comes to scale and comparing different cars. granted its a game and could easily be bias but it seems that the cars that i know of (viper and vette) that have over 1.0g of road holding, dont seem to handle a well as the others?

Please explain!! because to me it seems the car that could pull a higher g would be able to slalom and corner better?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Don't they test G rating by driving the car in a circle? So you convert the MPH into M/S^2 and you get it in terms of G's. So driving as fast as you can in a circular path before it loses grip is your G rating.

Actual handling is more like how the car reacts to the drivers control. So i think "better handling" is a relative on how the you want the car to react/respond and how it acutaully react/respond

I assume, correct me if i'm wrong... that higher G rating will tell you how much G's your car can take before it will skid..and handling is how well the car can be controlled.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:12 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

the g rating is basically raw grip. it does not apply to the handling characteristics of a car completely. however, it does influence it.
factors that influence overall handling: % of nose dive - actual body roll and a few others. g force is a good measurement that will give you a general idea of a cars limits, but it doesnt necessarily mean "the higher the better handling" a good example is the m3 vs. g35 coupe. an m3 according to car and driver got only .84 on skidpad. the g35c got .91 (not sure). but i would bet money anyday that an m3 will take a g35c in the twisties.
here is a better rating though: test drive the cars yourself!!! that is the only way to know which is better than other.