pictures of the new RS-X

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pictures of the new RS-X

Here are some pictures of the new RS-X...

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/599.html

[This message has been edited by beestea (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 09:36 PM
Pro

Let's try that again...

The most interesting points are that the 2-liter block from the S2K has been detuned to about 200hp, for a 40hp(!) drop. I doubt that's due to restriction alone, so it's not going to be I/H/E easy to get that 40hp back. Shawn Church has estimated 0-60 at 6.6sec and 1/4 at 14.9-15.0@94mph, which is a little slower than the than the CL-S, but at only 2600-2700 pounds of the current GS-R. That'll make it one truly sporty FF. (Assuming they got back some of the steering feel lost in MacStrut front of the current gen Civic, that is.)

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

It seems to be a collage of the entire Acura line?
I'm impressed that they squeezed a bag into that steering wheel.

But what exactly is that thing on the inside of the drivers door right above the door's bin area?

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-08-2001, 09:38 PM
Racer

Damn, you reposted them faster than I could fix my original... btw, its a pain in the ass to fix HTML once its already been converted to UBB format.

Old 01-08-2001, 09:41 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

anyone else having problems loading these pics??? i wanna see, i wanna see...
Old 01-08-2001, 09:42 PM

nevermind-our POS server had a brainfart

THANKS FOR THE PICS!
Old 01-08-2001, 09:46 PM

are those recaro seats?? and if so, are they gonna be stock??? my feelings of envy have begun...
Old 01-08-2001, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

For me the biggest shocker of the whole unveiling has been the 18's and the seats.... Not sure I agree with the whole seat idea.... I can't wait for my test drive.

------------------
--------------
1998 Acura 2.3CL
Coming Soon:
'02 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Old 01-08-2001, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
are those recaro seats?? and if so, are they gonna be stock??? my feelings of envy have begun...</font>
They are, and those are BBS rims... The bad thing is that the car is a prototype, so it might go away, but they've never done that before so hopefully they'll stay. Personally I'm not a big fan of the seats, I like the CL-S and the NSX seats more. I imagine that some of the styling in the dash will get lost (recalling the MDX prototype to actual changes), but I do expect exterior styling to go unchanged. Is it just me or does everyone else see a very strong resemblane in everything from the A-pilar forward similar to the 02 TL or 01 CL?, especially the point that the nose of the bumper comes to, and the lines on the hood (relating to the TL).

------------------
--------------
1998 Acura 2.3CL
Coming Soon:
'02 Acura 3.2CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by VTEC Animal (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

The front says "Acura TL-S", the back says "Honda Civic".

It reminds me of the Honda Accord V6 Coupe where it looks like one team made the front and one team made the back - while not speaking to one another.

Can we get a car with a nice armrest AND a handbrake at the same time? Also, I wish the interior had more of a cockpit-like center console like the CL rather than like the one in the Accord.

Old 01-08-2001, 11:20 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks exactly like the new Honda Civic too me. Doesnt even have a Pentagonal Grill... it basiclally only has 3 points.

Big improvement over former integra though... but those headlamps need less civic in them.

It needs S2k like projection lamps... or at least a different style of housing.

Would be a nice addition to the Honda line.

Sub-Acura if you ask me.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
celica

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeR
Sundance Platinum
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
Old 01-09-2001, 12:12 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Looks exactly like the new Honda Civic too me. Doesnt even have a Pentagonal Grill... it basiclally only has 3 points.

Big improvement over former integra though... but those headlamps need less civic in them.

It needs S2k like projection lamps... or at least a different style of housing.

Would be a nice addition to the Honda line.

Sub-Acura if you ask me.

</font>
Soopa, Type-R of this small rocket, will kick your azz, man..... sweet if it's gona put out 225Hp.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool pictures. Not all that great though....does it look smaller to anyone? What does it look like......hmm...I guess reminds me of a Mazda MX3? Anyways, I don't think that the seats and the wheels will be standard. Maybe as an option....or maybe for the Type R if they come out with it in this new design. I guess alright..but I agree with Soopa. Nice addition for the Honda's.

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-09-2001, 01:05 AM
Team Owner

I could see one of those parked in the garage next to my CL-S.
The wife’s 91 Integra is getting up there with 82K on the clock.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-09-2001, 01:08 AM
Bagged hybrid

I'm not that impressed with the look...don't really like it too much.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S Satin Silver/Ebony
Debadged, PIAA Roadlamps, M-11 Turn signals, Comptech Headers, Comptech Springs, custom intake
Old 01-09-2001, 01:17 AM
Instructor

It's growing on me, although I think it's best color will be black. The seats I would kill for. Nice wheel & shifter knob too, IMHO.

------------------
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.....
Old 01-09-2001, 01:17 AM
The Creator

The car has monster truck sized performance.

I dont care if it may be fast enough to whip me... theres plenty of cheapo cars faster then us.

We have upscale... and quick cars... not just shitty pocket rockets.

I wish Acura would just push this thing down into the Acura line... make the S2k an Acura if they want a small performance car.

I mean... Acura will never be a true contender with this thing in the lineup...

Everytime you mention Acura to someone... they think of the Integra... now their gonna think of this POS Civic look alike...

Does Lexus/BMW/Audi have cars this shitty in their lineup? no.

Oh, well. From now on I dont tell anyone what kind of car I have until they get to see it... i dont want them getting that damn RSX image in their head.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-09-2001, 01:18 AM
The Creator

Anybod else notice the monster truck like ground clearance of that thing?

Damn... I could mistake it for a cross over vehicle with a quick glance.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:25 AM
Instructor

</font>
I think the Altezza - err, sorry - IS300 is pretty shitty for a Lexus! (makes a great Toyota everywhere else). VW/Audi may not have cars this shitty in the US, but we certainly get the el wimpo motors!

------------------
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.....
Old 01-09-2001, 01:33 AM

do ya get the feeling that soopa don't like it???

gotta agree about making it part of the acura lineup.

i was hoping that the name change from the ole' integra would signify something a little more upscale-unfortunately this thing is just too damn small (altho it looks about as wide as an IS300 on the inside ) to really have any significant presence.

the 'celica' remark was right on the moneyy!! it IS pretty sweet tho' makes me wish i were back in high school all over again...

Old 01-09-2001, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

First of all everybody doesn't like honda/acura cars when they first come out, but it alwayz seem to grow into people, current prelude, last generation civics, etc.. and in protype cars they always use really big rims to impress the crowd, but in production they never seem to . im sure they'll just slap on some 16 and 17 if there lucky. the current type R even has 16"s and the cl-p being almost 30k has 16"'s. I think it needs a spoiler on the back and maybe a bodykit. also I can just see people putting altezza lightz on the car.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech . may be more mod'z after when i get a job.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:11 AM
Racer

Well, there goes our theory thast Acura is trying to steer away from the "Rice-Boy" Image. With all the talk about their "Tame and boring commercials" I can't wait to see 'em for this thing.. I hope they don't screw the commercials up for this one. Better not show some young teens hanging around a beach without a shirt on, while playing some tame music.

Looks like Acura is trying to compete with the IS-300 with this thing??? am I wrong???

I don't really like it that much. To IS-300'ish

------------------
Old 01-09-2001, 02:22 AM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
Well, there goes our theory thast Acura is trying to steer away from the "Rice-Boy" Image. With all the talk about their "Tame and boring commercials" I can't wait to see 'em for this thing.. I hope they don't screw the commercials up for this one. Better not show some young teens hanging around a beach without a shirt on, while playing some tame music.

Looks like Acura is trying to compete with the IS-300 with this thing??? am I wrong???

</font>
The interior looks like the new eclipse a little. Especially the way the ac vents are layed out

------------------
Please rear end me in my Accord, so I have to buy a Type-s
Old 01-09-2001, 02:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

</font>
Yeah, IS300 is too expensive to compete with the RS-X. It'll probably compete with the Celica, Prelude, and Eclipse.

Alex
Old 01-09-2001, 02:28 AM
Race Director

The car has monster truck sized performance.

I dont care if it may be fast enough to whip me... theres plenty of cheapo cars faster then us.

We have upscale... and quick cars... not just shitty pocket rockets.

I wish Acura would just push this thing down into the Acura line... make the S2k an Acura if they want a small performance car.

I mean... Acura will never be a true contender with this thing in the lineup...

Everytime you mention Acura to someone... they think of the Integra... now their gonna think of this POS Civic look alike...

Oh, well. From now on I dont tell anyone what kind of car I have until they get to see it... i dont want them getting that damn RSX image in their head.
</font>
I agree completely. What a waste. Just imagine, thousands of little RS-X's all over the place, half of them driven by kids.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-09-2001, 02:46 AM
I love my G sedan

I really really like the front and side style, but not the back because the back reminds me the old integra rear end(forgot which generation is it, the one before the four cicular headlamps one), I love the front end, I am not disappointed at all. I hope it would come out soon so i could see it on street. Now Acura has four new cars TL-S, CL, MDX and RSX, haha, be careful Lexus and BMW.
Old 01-09-2001, 03:06 AM
5th Gear

Was waiting for the release with great anticipation but this RS-X doesn't impress me at all; I'm rather disappointed.

In fact, I was waiting for it to see if I should seriously consider the IS300 instead.

Speaking of IS300, why does some think it's shitty? Is it because of the interior? I must confess I did not have the opportunity to "feel" its interior yet. Maybe it is in fact "cheap" but keep in mind that the IS300 is the lowest priced Lexus.

Cheers.
Old 01-09-2001, 03:58 AM
Pro

If Honda/Acura had penned a "more mature" car, would it sell as well? Do remember that the Integra had occupied a very popular (read: profitable) market niche that has yet to show any sign of slowing down (see Celica sales). Acura would be insane to stray from a sure-fire hit just keep it in line with the drive to "move upscale," which has yet to really prove itself with sales.

Look what happened to the "more mature" Mitsubishi Eclipse. Compare that to the success of the "more youthful" Celica.

</font>
You seem a *little* obsessed with the IS300, since there really is very little in common between the two. (The CL-S versus IS300 was already kind of a stretch due to the their very different architectures and target markets.) If you only meant interior/exterior styling cues, let me point you in some better directions: exterior-wise, the hood slope and rear 3/4 are both very reminiscent of the Paseo, hemispherical light cut-outs are cribbed from the 3-series, quarter-glass upsweep draws from the 456GT, but side-profile is all Integra. Interior-wise, light-colored integrated center console reminds of the Insight, circular flap vents are all Eclipse, door trim and colored inserts are Celica-like, and the instrument cluster looks like it was pulled from any SE-trim Nissan.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
I think the Altezza - err, sorry - IS300 is pretty shitty for a Lexus!</font>
It seems like you have some preconceived notions of what Toyotas and Lexus' should be. Yet you bought neither a Toyota nor Lexus, despite the fact that they do offer models that fit your particular notions.

That's like somebody saying that the CL is pretty shitty for a Honda/Acura, since he expected Honda/Acuras to be lightweight/tossable four-bangers that could run 'til the next OPEC crisis on a single tank. Despite the fact that Honda/Acura does currently offer a model that fits those expectations, he chooses not to buy it. If he passed that kind of opinion yet followed it up with that kind of action, he would be considered either a hypocrit or a bag of hot air. I'm sure you're neither, and was trying to convey a more meaningful opinion, right?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dysonl:
Speaking of IS300, why does some think it's shitty?</font>
Frankly, it's not shitty at all. That goes for the CL's and probably the RS-X's by the time it's tweaked for production. Some people just dis what isn't theirs, which is quite weak.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 04:36 AM
w.t.f., mate?

dtew, your adamant defense of the IS300 would leave me to believe that you are from Is300.net

I think the IS300 is sh!tty for a Lexus. It seems subpar for a Lexus to have no leather, navi(issue solved next year), etc etc. Frankly, the car is not worth the price. It was all hype...I mean what's so special about it? At most, the gauges and "Altezza lights", which every other Civic/Prelude/Accord has now. I've seen better interiors in Hyundais, I mean damn. The Lexus is competing w/ BMW mostly, and with the 3-Series destroying the market, how can Lexus compete with such a subpar car? WITHOUT leather?? Granted, some might not like leather as an option, but this is a lexus, a LUXURY CAR.

HOWEVER, LET US NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN IS300 THREAD. Sorry for talking about the damn car. On to the subject at hand, the RS-X!!

The RS-X looks a lot like the old Integra, looking at the front. The interior seems very...spartan if you ask me. Then again, I'm used to the CL-S interior Pictures 1 and 3 make the car look EXTREMELY like the old Integra, but everything else looks different...

Oh quick question re: RS-X. Is it still based off the Civic? Since the new Civic just got released, maybe the release of the RS-X isn't coincidential...

::shrugs::

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-09-2001, 06:45 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:
dtew, your adamant defense of the IS300 would leave me to believe that you are from Is300.net </font>
No, that can't be right... you sure you got the right guy?

I think the IS300 is sh!tty for a Lexus. It seems subpar for a Lexus to have no leather, navi(issue solved next year), etc etc. Frankly, the car is not worth the price. It was all hype...I mean what's so special about it?</font>
You need to understand that people have different preferences and priorities. You saw nothing but the gauges, lights, lack of full leather, and a slower 0-60 relative to the CL-S. I saw:

A) Independently-suspended RWD. It obviously doesn't mean much to you, but to me it means 1) a characteristic handling feel, 2) a wider range of ways to get around a corner, 3) enthusiast tradition, and 4) the "right" way to put power to the ground.

B) Sport-firm suspension. Actually, I'm a little less than completely satisfied with this quality of the IS300. The rates aren't as high and the damping isn't as controlled as I would *really* like. But it still fits my preference much better than the CL-S.

C) Adequate power. I get no joy from simply flooring it. It just reminds me of the size of the engine/vehicle that I decided to live with, nothing more. I didn't expertly accomplish something skillful (especially with an auto tranny). I get my kicks from weight-transfering for grip, taking tricky lines, and balancing the car on the fine edge of control. I only need enough power to enable me to do that.

D) Inline six. Despite the fact that balance-shafted V6's are quite smooth, the I6 is one of four "perfect" engine configurations that are naturally balanced for all 1st and 2nd order forces and moments. Again, it's the "right" way.

E) Japanese reliability. I've heard too much about BMWs.

(Some of my preferences might be more obvious if you knew that the S2000 and MR2-Spyder were SERIOUSLY considered, but eventually eliminated mainly because of practicality considerations.)

Had you dug through the old posts at the IS300 forums, you might have found out that I decided on the car after wringing the piss out of it at an Edmund's Live event. Your own shallow understanding of the car didn't allow you to see past the visual flambouyances. You decided that the car was superficial, and that people who appreciated it simply bought into hype. For those of us who seriously considered the IS300, the visual flambouyances were simply icing on the cake: not bad to have, but neither essential nor major factors in the appeal of the car. I mean, have you ever heard IS300 owners dissin' the conceptually-similar 3-series for lacking these things?

I've seen better interiors in Hyundais.... how can Lexus compete with such a subpar car.... HOWEVER, LET US NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN IS300 THREAD.</font>
Sure, take some cheap shots and run! (Hey, I was nuthin' but RS-X until SOME PEOPLE couldn't help but to drag the IS into the fray.)

Oh quick question re: RS-X. Is it still based off the Civic? Since the new Civic just got released, maybe the release of the RS-X isn't coincidential...</font>
Of course it's based off the Civic. The ENTIRE REASON the 3rd gen was dragged out for 7 years was so that Honda could base the future "Integras" off current generation Civic platforms instead of the previous generation Civic platforms. [The 1st gen Integra ('86-'89) was based off the 3rd gen Civic ('84-'87), the 2nd gen Integra ('90-'93) was based off the 4th gen Civic ('88-'91), and the 3rd gen Integra ('94-'00) was based off the 5th gen Civic ('92-'95). The 4th gen "Integra" is based off the 7th gen MacStrut-front Civic ('01-?)]

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:

Look what happened to the "more mature" Mitsubishi Eclipse. Compare that to the success of the "more youthful" Celica.
</font>
Not a terribly fair comparison.... the old Eclipse sold very well, unlike the old Celica which was painfully slow and overpriced. The old Eclipse was neither of those. The new Eclipse' biggest problem is styling... they moved the car "upscale" but didn't move the styling "upscale". The result has been disappointing sales. The new Celica is such a bargain compared to the old one, it couldn't possibly have failed. Quite a few people (not just people on this site) think that car is pretty damn ugly, but it's still selling just fine. Acura could easily move this car upscale and it would still sell just fine as long as they did it right. Something Mitsu did NOT do!!!!

Old 01-09-2001, 10:28 AM
8th Gear

Exterior looks like old Toyota Paseo...

Love those (Recaro Like) seats though

------------------
Red CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by Eric the Red (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 11:41 AM
6 speed...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
If you only meant interior/exterior styling cues, let me point you in some better directions: exterior-wise, the hood slope and rear 3/4 are both very reminiscent of the Paseo, hemispherical light cut-outs are cribbed from the 3-series, </font>
actually, I was thinking the headlights were cribbed from the chrysler 300m...

Old 01-09-2001, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably won't matter to Acura whether this is a "juiced up Civic" or not, if it sells as well as the Integra. Their corporate thinking wants buyers to enter the "family lineup" and come back to Acura to buy their next car and their car after that as their tastes mature etc. Personally I'd rather see Honda market and sell the car, and keep Acura's image more "upscale", like Lexus. No "toy cars" in their lineup (unless you take issue with the IS, which is a fine driver, and not a cheap rebadged Toyota). Acura has been fighting an image problem for a while now-is it numbers (3.2, 3.5) or is it names (Legend, Integra)???? What is an Acura, really? Hell I don't know, but I sure love my PDG CL-S!!!!!

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-09-2001, 12:39 PM
The Creator

OK, as much as I dislike IS owners... I gotta defend the IS a little here...

This isnt a fair comparison...

THe IS, in my opinion, isnt too shitty to be a lexus... to anybody but us it doesnt bring down the Lexus brand name.

Show an IS to any non-car buff... and you will get a great reaction. A non car buff being someone who likes cars... but doesnt know too much about all the models and isnt too big on what all the stats mean. AKA, the typical person.

The IS has its similarities to a corolla... about the same amount of similarities we have to an Accord.

But this RSX looks JUST LIKE a damn Civic. Even the same cheap plastic looking front end. This thing isnt worthy of Saturn. Let along Acura.

The RS-X is just a cheap POS. The IS at least carries a bigger price tag then any rice boy can afford... that alone makes it worthy of a good brand name... and Lexus has already established its "image" in peoples heads. Acura hasnt.

Acura needs people to think of MDX's TL's and CL's when someone says "Acura"... but instead... EVERYONE you talk to... says... "Acura? Oh... yes they make those Integras... 'their cute'"

yuck.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-09-2001, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Seeing the new Civic, and now the RS-X, I think Honda lost its flavor. The new civic looks like a focus!!!
Old 01-09-2001, 01:09 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
Seeing the new Civic, and now the RS-X, I think Honda lost its flavor. The new civic looks like a focus!!!</font>
Id rather have a focus.

AND... to topit all off... I just realized that the RS-X will have the same suspension as the NEW civic... a suspension regared as one of the shittiest setups known to man kind.

So now it wont even have the same decent handling as the current Teg or the last Civic.

Also, this ISNT a S2000 engine detuned.

Just happens to be another 2.0 liter four.

All the guys who know engine block codes can confirm this.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-09-2001, 01:13 PM
Drifting

At this rate..it looks like, I'm going to look at different car companies, next time around. Its a shame that honda is losing its touch..we have 3 hondas, and 1 acura at my house right now.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Cheer up is300 fans, there's sh!ttier styling on the way. First off, toss the f'n front grill - that thing is horrible. I like the lights/seats/rims, but they prolly won't make it to production. Otherwise it's pretty much on par with the current integra (which I'm not a fan of as a member of the acura family, but whadda ya gonna do).

Quick Reply: pictures of the new RS-X