Phones and Bad Drivers!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phones and Bad Drivers!!

On my way to work today, some dumbazz was behind me talking on the phone and not paying attention to traffic. At a 4-5 mph roll we stop, but he doesn't. He hit in the rear scratching my bumper up pretty good, but does not appear to crack it or anything. He says he will pay for it out of pocket, and would appreciate it if I would not call the cops. Apparently he is some kind of big shot dentist and has money. A couple of questions for the folks here...how much does a new bumper cover cost??.....and do I really need to put a new bumper on and spend the money for MOD's??

"This sucks hella bad!!" Cartmen (South Park)

Thanks for the help, and get a damned headphone set for your phones!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can live with it, don't worry about the bumper cover, you could also have some issues with color matching and such.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
EVO IX MR

Well, you could get an estimate. The bumper cover is plastic, so if it is not cracked or bent than it will prob just need paint, which they will likely have to blend into the rear quarter panels. Cost me like 1400 for a new bumper cover, 1 rear light, trunk lid fixed, and paint. Get a couple estimates, show him the high one, and then get it fixed at the cheaper one. You might be able to get a free 100 or 200 bucks out of it. If you can live with the scratches then you can spend the cah all on mods. Not sure of the traffic laws in GA, but I wouldn't try to get him for an outrageous amount of money, considering you both left the scene of an accident and there are no witnesses but you and him I presume? It's not wrong to want to bypass the INS companies, but do the right thing and be reasonable for your sake, otherwise it could come down to his word(reputable dentist) vs. yours.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Advanced

I could probably live with it, even though it sucks. It seems after you get one knick, everything starts to fall apart!! How much should I get for this bumper cover though? This guy will learn that it is cheaper to buy a phone headset and pay attention while driving than to buy bumper covers. Does anyone recommend a good touch-up paint brand? I could probable touch-up the paint so it does not start to flake or peel off!!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Big shot my . I would get a police report. I have heard too many times of stories wit guys saying they will pay out of pocket and end up getting screwed in the end.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Well you have a point..he might try to screw me, but I have all of his information. I even took his insurance card since he wasn't paying attention. He gave me his business card so I could contact him directly. This guy seems on the up and up, but I am more worried about the consequences of not getting my bumper repaired. Will it start to flake or crack?? If it will, I want to get it replaced. This is my baby!!!! He stated that if it came down to it we could call the police and file a report if the cost were too high. I don't know, but if he does try to screw me, I know where his office is, I have his insurance info, and the phone directory is a fingertip away. My major concern is the paint on the bumper!!! Plastic or not, I don't want it to start flaking or peeling!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I agree with Vegeta1.

Last time I got hit, I didn't even talk to the other party. Now that I think about it, it was kind of funny.

I was waiting to make a right turn, light turned green, but there were pedestrians. So of course I let them go first. But the girl in the Jeep behind me kept going, and BAM! The rear bumper was smashed. I got out, whipped out the phone and dialed the police department (I always keep PD numbers in my phone). The girl was freaking out, and asked me if I was OK. "Hold on, I'm on the phone."

"Oh.."

Cops came, gave her a ticket, blah blah. I took off first, and the only thing I ever said to her was that. I was so pissed, though, because I had been studying hard for my Econ exam, and I was actually on the way to the exam at the time. I missed it, of course, but the prof gave me a break.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you can't trust people. People are fuck bags who are selfish with no morals whatsoever and will fuck you over the first chance they get if it makes them a penny of profit. Call the cops next time shit like this happens.

For now, get an estimate at a shop and see what they say. Don't take this the wrong way, but they know more about this stuff than you do since they do it for a living. Thus, they can probably give you advice as to what to do upon assessing the damages.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Well, now I am concerned..... I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens!!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
USTHS76

You should've called the cops 'cuz now there's no telling what's gonna happen. Like 2003types6 said it might come down to your word against his. Goodluck!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

I wouldnt if I were you... report it to the cops, plus you dont have to worry about it... he hit you so your insurance wouldn't get affected... Your call though and good luck..
Old 08-09-2004, 02:31 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd at least report it to your insurance company to protect yourself. Otherwise, this guys may never pay. Also, if you let him off easy, he'll probably do it to someone else, but maybe with a much worse outcome. I had a rear bump replaced on my '01 CLS. It cost me about $750 in BA, Calif.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Replace the whole bumper plus paint job, I think $600-800 will do.
Bumper to bumper scartch, I think you're looking for $200-300 for the repair and paint job.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Drifting

4-5 mph impact huh? i think you should worry about more than just the scratches on the bumper cover and paint matching issues. what we all know as the "bumper" is the actually the bumper cover. i would want to know, after an impact, is if the impact absorbing material (styrofoam) was compromised. those are only good for one impact. the effectiveness for any subsequent impacts will be reduced. there may also be some brackets or something else that may be bent as well.