Passat thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passat thoughts?

No, it's not for me, so skip the men in VW comments

My Mom is looking to get a used (2002) Passat. It's an auto w/ 4Motion, Leather, CD, etc. About 18K miles....

Anybody have any experience with these cars? Do they have the same electrical problems that I've heard of alot of Audi's having? Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

If this car is a 4 cylinder, then it has the electrical problem, coilpack. If it's a 6 cylinder, it's immune, doesn't have the same style ignition system. It's an easy fix, once it's diagnosed. My friend has 2001.5, which is the same model and had one go out.
VW was having a big shortage of these coilpacks, over a 4 week wait.
For more info, go to www.clubb5.com.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Racer

My other car is a Passat.....

I would have to say that my Passat ownership experience has been bitter sweet.

I have an 01.5 New Passat GLX 4 motion Variant (wagon) with the V6.

What do I like about the car?
*The Monsoon Sound system is awesome!
*The car handles well.
*The 4Motion 4 wheel drive has more than paid for iteself. I took this car out in the last big snow storm and was driving just fine in 1 ft+ snow covered roads.

What do I not like about the car?
*Compared to the CL, I feel like I'm driving a golf cart (comparing acceleration off the line).
*The interior is very cheaply made (the materials). Before buying, do things like elevate the center arm rest (it has three raise-able levels) and extend it forward (the Automatic in this car also has sport shift). Wiggle your elbow on the pad--mine squeeks regularly and requires wd-40. Also place your elbow on the arm rest on the both the front drivers and passenger's side door panels and press inward. Mine creek when you press in. Test drive, if you can, on a warm day or after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while. The car tends to creek a lot when warm.

*The 4 motion makes a clunking sounds when you're coasting and then put your foot on the accelerator. From what I hear, this is normal.
*Rear brakes on this car go out before the front. Make sure you do a thorough inspection.
**The VW service experience is not what it is for Acura. There are no service loaners for VW, there are no free vaccums and carwashes for VW (unless they sell other cars like Acura where you do get those after each service). And what I read about daily and have experienced myself is the Volkswagen service is not as customer oriented as say Acura. I've also had to take the car to the dealer repeatedly for the same issue because they "cannot duplicate the issue" until you threaten them or take the time off of work and take the technician for a ride with you.

If it were me, I'd stay FAR away from a used VW! I can't wait for my loan to value to get better so I can get rid of it.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Racer

I agree with Sundance. In general, it is a good car but there are better choices. It is not as reliable as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.
The resales value sucks Friend of mine bought a 99 GLS new and drove for 60K, sold it, and bought a Accord coupe V6 last month. Will not buy another VW.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Actually, the resale value for the passat is about the best in it's class.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...2/article.html

My wife and I purchased a Fresco Green 2003 GLX V6 in October of last year. We have driven it about 10,000 miles, and we both think that it is a great vehicle. I have owned many cars in my life, but I have never had one that gets as many compliments as our Passat. This includes my CLS.

The V6 is buttery smooth. It is not fast like the CLS, but it will cruise in triple digits all day long. We average about 24 miles to the gallon combined driving. I have to disagree with the comments above about the interior. The interior is about as nice as you will see. The materials are top notch. Many of today's auto makers use the passat as the bench mark for interiors.

Just take one for a test drive and you will be convinced. Oh, and you can get a great deal on one if you haggle. My wife and I got ours for $80.00 over invoice cost, and purchase the spoiler and splash guards for cost. It was by far, the nicest and easiest car buying experiece of my life.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Before I got my Max, I did consider a Passat. And then I priced them: They cost as much as a TL-S w/o the TL-S's performance and style; and forget that W8---40 large for a VW?!?!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Advanced

My fiancee has a 2002 Passat 1.8T. All in all we've been satisfied. You definately don't get the vacuum and car wash but if you ask ahead you might be able to swing a loaner.

We had some work done and asked for a loaner and was provided with one. I guess it varies with dealers and service reps.

So far (knock on wood) we haven't experienced the coil pack issue but VW sent a notice stating that it would be replaced if it does come up.

One thing that I really like about the Passat is the height adjustable driver seat, compared to the TL I can sit comfortably without rubbing my head against the top.

Definately check out www.clubb5.com for some good information on the B5 model VW.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Advanced

I agree with KRT-1 about the buying experience. We just called up the dealer and asked if they had this particular model in stock with the options we wanted. They did and offered them $50.00 over invoice. Confirmed their invoice price matched ours and placed a deposit.

Picked up the car the following weekend and was done.

I think the interior is great, nice dash, decent seats. The Passat is a decent deal, but once you start adding up the options, it can get expensive.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Racer

After my experience with the local dealership when I owned my Jetta, I'd never buy another one. We got along well; I'm not the nagging type, but after a sudden no-start situation I had it towed in only to get it back 77 days later!!!! Yep thats' ten weeks! Their attitude was " well we were busy". Never again, VW. Got rid of it and got my TL and have been happy ever since big time.