oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oxygen sensors

I got a 97 2.2, i didn't plug in the oxygen sensors on the manifold and on the cat. Is there any draw back other than the check engine light? any help would be appreciated... thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 03:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you are referring to the exhaust gas lambda sensor (o2 sensor(s) in the exhaust), you will put your car into "limp" mode and you could easily trash your catalytic converter.

The car has a "limp mode" where a loss of any major input sensor or other function will cause the computer to run on a "default" map. THE MIL lamp would be the least of your concerns. If you're only planning on letting the situation exist for a day or two, you're probably going to be fine.

IMO, leaving a car in that condition is not a good thing. Just having the MIL lamp on could "blind you" to a serious condition that popped-up. The damage from running "fallback mode"/"limp mode" could cause damage (depends on a lot of factors).
Old 02-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Masshole

Well, I know on older cars this could accelerate damage to your catalytic converter among other things. I wouldn't leave your car this way too long.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Racer

I was refering to the 0xygen sensor that is suppose to go into my aftermarket exhaust manifold. I am not sure if that was wut u guys are talking about. I'm not worried about the cat..i have a straight pipe in itz place.

I was wondering would that decrease my performance? if not i would prefer not to spend the extra cash to get a new oxygen sensor in, if u know wut I mean....

Thanx guys...
Old 02-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Cseika
I was refering to the 0xygen sensor that is suppose to go into my aftermarket exhaust manifold. I am not sure if that was wut u guys are talking about. I'm not worried about the cat..i have a straight pipe in itz place...
No catalytic converter in California = big fine $$$.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Cseika
I was refering to the 0xygen sensor that is suppose to go into my aftermarket exhaust manifold. I am not sure if that was wut u guys are talking about. I'm not worried about the cat..i have a straight pipe in itz place.

I was wondering would that decrease my performance? if not i would prefer not to spend the extra cash to get a new oxygen sensor in, if u know wut I mean....

Thanx guys...
Yes, that is the idea... The two o2 sensors work to see how the cat is working. You could probably find a kit to "fool" the computer into ignoring the "lost signal" from the o2 sensor that is missing behind the cat (that's what's missing --> yes/no?).

AS to what would happen... that depends on lots of factors. THE MIL light is your buddy -- try to get it back working. The other issues would probably relate to how well your limp mode maintains your fuel-air ratio under varying conditions and time. You will probably lose the fuel trim (in the ECU) that would normally adjust for changes in injectors and other aging *and* if the default ECU map was "sloppy" you could dump a bit too much fuel and coke the engine up and/or lean the car out on slight grades (not something that would be great for your exhaust valves).

Look in google for the following:

"O2 Simulators"

"The O2 SIM allows you to eliminate the 'SERVICE ENGINE SOON' light to stay off if you have a custom exhaust system. This is a plug in device which eliminates the need for a rear oxygen sensor."

One of many links -- perhaps you can find one to fix you up

http://www.mdpp.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=48
Old 02-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Racer

haha, Wow.. where u from itz 6:30am here in cali... i just posted that and u already replied..... didn't sleep yet??

no not the 2nd cat one that i'm worried about itz 1st o2 sensor.. on the exhaust manifold? the one that determine the fuel/air mixture i guess?.....
Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Racer

Oh ya.. 1 more thing... If I happen to need the 1st o2 sensor would the 2nd o2 sensor that is still on my removed cat converter fit into the 1st o2 sensor's place?? u see, the key is i don't want to spend money.. i'm a starving college student...