Ok Guys, I need advice NOW

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 06:11 AM
Adrienne

Ok Guys, I need advice NOW

Hey, as most of you know I just bought my wheels and I need tires badly; last night's storm brought that home to me quite forcefully... anyway I'm sitting here looking thru tire websites, and I think I have narrowed it down to two tires, the Yokohama Nexus and the Yokohama Parada... I would hold out and go to a dealer around here and get some Toyo's but I need tires that bad, you know? Besides, they're always marked up at a dealer anyway.

I'm really leaning towards the Paradas, because they look really cool, and apparently have very good rain-slicing skillz, but I'm not sure. Has anyone had good or bad luck with them? I'm gonna go ahead and order them now; the order wont' go in until Monday anyway and I can cancel it if you guys all are like, "NOOOOOOOO Yokohama's sneak into your house and kill you!!!" or something like that...

Just let me know now, so I can still cancel it.

I would wait until Monday but I need that peace of mind that comes from knowing I've done all I can.

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear parada's are great tires I was considering them when I was looking for some new wheels.

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-24-2001, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly recommend looking at the Nittoo 555 Extreme. Excellent perfromance. I run the car in SCCA solo 2 and this tire comes highly recommended A 235/45/17 fits nicely on the stock rim also...I paid 112/tire
Old 06-24-2001, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can hold out, the Toyos kick-ass in the wet.

Regarding the Toyo prices -- there are some people who want way too much. Funny, since Toyo and Nitto are really one company. The best prices on the Toyo are had by "strokes of luck" or "by shopping around."

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Old timer

Everytime I buy a new ride, bling-bling,
Lorinsers on Yokahama tires, bling-bling.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J RAP CAI
Old 06-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you can wait, Toyo T1-S alllll the way

------------------
'01 Black/Tan CL-S w/ Navi & spoiler
AEM CAI
Comptech headers, springs & sway bars
Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17 tires
15% tint, Infinity Perfect sub/PPI amp

'97 Acura Integra LS

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning is winning."
Old 06-24-2001, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
lus i dont think paradas coe in our size???i was quoted froma dealer tire kingdom dont know if you have those 169 mount and balance 235/45/17...but im also partial to the bridgestone potenza so2 pole postion tirerack...169 plus shipping

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-24-2001, 01:33 PM
foolio at heart

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
lus i dont think paradas coe in our size???i was quoted froma dealer tire kingdom dont know if you have those 169 mount and balance 235/45/17...but im also partial to the bridgestone potenza so2 pole postion tirerack...169 plus shipping

</font>
She's putting the yok's on 18's bling, bling.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:10 PM
do it yourself, !

I have a set of Parada's on 16" rims for the track. They're great on dry and moderately wet surface. They SUCK in the winter on snow. If you get these, plan on getting winter tires because they are the worst on snow. But for the rest of the seasons, I believe they're up there with the Nitto 555 Extremes.

jeremy

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S
Black - Ebony Interior - Spoiler - 20% Tint - Cleared Headlights - Solaris 9005 Highbeams - Complete bulb replacement with Polargs
18 x 8.5 SSR GPO DeColte Evolutions on Nitto 555's - Comptech Headers - Eibach Springs

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Black - Black Interior - Nav - (Chrome AMG Rims-Sold)
Old 06-24-2001, 06:21 PM
Adrienne

I'm planning to use my stock rims from October until like, March or April, so winter handling doesn't really matter, but thanks for the tip.

I just ordered the Paradas. Yaaaaay....

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:57 PM
nItIn

You've already done your research, and narrowed down your choices ... so I hope this doesnt confuse you But 3 weeks ago while I was shopping for wheels, all my research led me to pick the Yoko AVS dB's. These tires seemed just unbelievable for the price. The reviews and specs were incredible ... they are going for $152 a piece on tirerack.

I then managed to talk the local DiscountTire shop into selling them to me for $600 total (this included tax, shipping, lifetime guaranteed mounting and balancing, and all the other environmental disposal fees)

------------------
2001 CL-P - Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Burlwood trim, Wheel Locks, Spoiler, Trunk Net, Polarg M6 Road Lamps, Polarg M4 Door Lamps, Polarg M4 Map Lights, Polarg M12 Turn, Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, Polarg M16 Dome Light. Burlwood '02 TL-S Steering, Burlwood Vent Trims, Burlwood Shifter, 35% all around Madico Tint

My Albums
Old 06-25-2001, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nabster:
You've already done your research, and narrowed down your choices ... so I hope this doesnt confuse you But 3 weeks ago while I was shopping for wheels, all my research led me to pick the Yoko AVS dB's. These tires seemed just unbelievable for the price. The reviews and specs were incredible ... they are going for $152 a piece on tirerack.

I then managed to talk the local DiscountTire shop into selling them to me for $600 total (this included tax, shipping, lifetime guaranteed mounting and balancing, and all the other environmental disposal fees)
</font>
I've had some AVS dB's on my stock rims for about 2K+ miles and they are great. They didn't have the exact size, so I got bumped upto 245 something or other on mine and they fit like clock work (with the additional feature of giving a little more protection to those stock rims since the tires are a bit wider). I've got springs, and sways and no rubbing whatsoever. Unfortunately I paid 700+ for all four.

Great wet weather tire.

Super, Seriously quiet ride (one of the selling points of the tires)

And perfomance, performance, perfomance

Not to mention the tread pattern looks kick ass I need to take a pic of them and send the up.

-Johnny

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS

[This message has been edited by JSuppi (edited 06-24-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 03:13 PM
Adrienne

Yeah, but look at this!

The only tread pattern I've seen that looks cooler is the Yokohama AVS Sport, but it costs like $245 a tire... booo...

------------------
I love you guys.

[This message has been edited by Adrienne (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 03:16 PM
Banned

Get that! Moneys no big deal, that tire is like a once a year investment. Great ride, great look!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Adrienne:
Yeah, but look at this!
The only tread pattern I've seen that looks cooler is the Yokohama AVS Sport, but it costs like $245 a tire... booo...

</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-25-2001, 03:22 PM
Adrienne

That's not really true... I am kinda working under a budget here. I needed to get the biggest bang for my buck, and the AVS Sport has unnecessary features (like super-high-performance standards; well, I don't race, and my top corner-taking speed EVER is 27 mph, so I don't really need super-hi-performance tires), but I DO need something relatively sticky that has decent rain traction and looks cool... the Parada had the best combination of those items in the smallest priced package... they were $138 apiece, PLUS I GOT A FREE YOKOHAMA SPORTS BAG!!! Uhhh, yay....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
Get that! Moneys no big deal, that tire is like a once a year investment. Great ride, great look!

</font>

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

what about bridgestone re730..these are awesome tires. and quite a few member here has them and are very happy with it

------------------
01 Silver S-type with navigation and spoiler..comtech springs,sway/AEM CAI with bypass valve/clear bra (3M)/viper 550 hf with remote start/35%tint/moda r6 w/ 225/45/17 bridgestone re730/Bell radar detector/more to come..
Old 06-25-2001, 03:31 PM
Banned

If budget is an issue, I recommend going with Pirelli P7000 tires (not extremely pricy, yet they still have the all-season high performance advantage). Check them out at tirerack.com

I had those on my '96 328is and loved them! Drove them through the snow and ice and had no problems what-so-ever and that car was rear wheel drive too! Loved those tires!

That's not really true... I am kinda working under a budget here. I needed to get the biggest bang for my buck, and the AVS Sport has unnecessary features (like super-high-performance standards; well, I don't race, and my top corner-taking speed EVER is 27 mph, so I don't really need super-hi-performance tires), but I DO need something relatively sticky that has decent rain traction and looks cool... the Parada had the best combination of those items in the smallest priced package... they were $138 apiece, PLUS I GOT A FREE YOKOHAMA SPORTS BAG!!! Uhhh, yay....

</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-25-2001, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did they have LipGloss & Nail Polish in the bag ?

Include those 2 items: And I'm Biting !

</font>

------------------
2001 CL-S Silver
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
14 % Tint
Viper 550 Alarm
Old 06-25-2001, 03:59 PM
Adrienne

Well, like I said before, snow performance isn't an issue at all, because I'll be taking these wheels off in October/early November until March or April, and using my stock wheels, which have plenty of very good winter tread left. And the tires that I have now are Pirelli P7000s, and Arnold only used these for like, two months, and they're cording on the inside... even if he did do a couple of burnouts, that is unacceptable tread wear for me... my experience with tires are those that last for years including winters without needing to be replaced, not tires that I have to replace every couple months... I can understand if these won't last but a year or so, but I have to have more than a couple months, ya know?

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, if you like something that lasts, and looks nasty, and sticks like glue in the rain, and costs about 150 a tire (must shop around):

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-25-2001, 04:09 PM
Adrienne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caddy:
Did they have LipGloss & Nail Polish in the bag ?

Include those 2 items: And I'm Biting !
</font>
No bites for you, silly. It's a Parada bag, not a Prada bag.

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:11 PM
Adrienne

I love the way that looks, but I didn't have time to shop around (nor the tread to drive to the Toyo dealers around here; they're all in the center of like, DC and Gaithersburg, two places I definitely don't want to blow a tire)... SO... I'll just 'shop around' now, and get those for my NEXT tires.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Well, if you like something that lasts, and looks nasty, and sticks like glue in the rain, and costs about 150 a tire (must shop around):

</font>

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:47 PM
Banned

$245 a tire? What variety of drug have YOU been on? Tirerack quotes the AVS Sports (225/45-17) at $167 a piece (my personal choice)

Yeah, but look at this!

</font>

------------------
'01 CL-S, Nighthawk Black / Ebony, Stock w/ V1
Old 06-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Adrienne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by autox-CL-er:
$245 a tire? What variety of drug have YOU been on? Tirerack quotes the AVS Sports (225/45-17) at $167 a piece (my personal choice)
</font>
Yes, but 225/45-17 won't fit on my 18" wheels, silly. They're $245 apiece at Tirerack for 225/40-18.

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 09:17 PM
nItIn

Yes, but 225/45-17 won't fit on my 18" wheels, silly. They're $245 apiece at Tirerack for 225/40-18.

</font>
rofl! why wont 225/45-17's fit on 18's?

------------------
2001 CL-P - Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Burlwood trim, Wheel Locks, Spoiler, Trunk Net, Polarg M6 Road Lamps, Polarg M4 Door Lamps, Polarg M4 Map Lights, Polarg M12 Turn, Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, Polarg M16 Dome Light. Burlwood '02 TL-S Steering, Burlwood Vent Trims, Burlwood Shifter, 35% all around Madico Tint

My Albums
Old 06-25-2001, 09:20 PM
Adrienne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nabster:
rofl! why wont 225/45-17's fit on 18's?

</font>
heh heh... it was an honest mistake, I'm sure, but still funny.

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-25-2001, 09:39 PM
nItIn

Hey Adrienne, till your post .. I never really bothered looking at tread pattern while making a decision on my tires ... is it really that noticeable once installed on a car?

How many of yall actually take the looks factor of the tread of a tire while making ur decision? doesnt it rub/wear off fairly quickly?

------------------
I'm Back - Wiser, Stronger, and more experienced than ever! Thank you guys for your support!

My Albums
Old 06-26-2001, 12:57 AM
Adrienne

I'm REALLY not the person to ask that about, because I just kinda picked my tires based on the "coolness" of their tread pattern rather than based on some deeply scientific method of tread pattern analysis... but I do think that the pattern affects the way the tire goes thru water and the way it sticks to the ground and stuff. But like I said, don't take my word for it.

The only times tread pattern is important is when you drive through a puddle onto dry ground and you can see it, cuz it looks pretty neat if you have a nice tread pattern, and when people are staring at your wheels saying, "Wow, s/he has GREAT TIRES!" But neither of those instances happens very often, so no, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. My basis for buying the Paradas was form over function, really. Although the description of them says, "The blah blah blah pattern where form follows function..." so I guess their neat look has a purpose of SOME sort.

------------------
I love you guys.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:38 AM
Banned

Uh-huhhhuhuhuh... that was like really lame of me Beavis.

Duh. Sorry! That would make sense...

</font>

------------------
'01 CL-S, Nighthawk Black / Ebony, Stock w/ V1