Oil Filter Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter Review

Getting ready to change my oil soon and found this site about oil filters.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.
shtml

So I thought to share the info, if not already posted.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:07 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Link-ti-fried! (aka Post Whore)

By the way, here are the results (they don't say much):
Conclusions
Essentially you will have to decide for yourself. How often do you change filters? If you answer is 3k miles or less, some of the cheaper filters are likely more cost effective and probably safe to use (like the Fram or domestic Honda). If the answer is 5k miles or more (say you use synthetic oil), I'd suggest a high-quality filter that should last longer like the Mobil 1, STP/Bosch, or Japanese Honda filter.

If you race, flow is as important (if not more) than filtering. The filters shown here with higher total inlet areas, largest cartridge clearances and fewest pleats are probably better bets. I would still recommend staying away from filters that use cardboard, simply from the consistently higher pressures in racing. I'd be concerned about the longetivity of the filter (cardboard) under those conditions. Then again, if you race, a higher capacity replaceable-media filter might be a better bet altogether!

------------------
Sid Vicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 NEW! |
1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust

[This message has been edited by SidVicious (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 08:21 PM
Drifting

From what information was there the Japan filter is the best, but you can't get it. Next comes the group of Mobil 1, STP/Bosch. Where the Mobil 1 may be better due to something on the filter element. The price of the STP is $2.86 (the Mobil 1 three and a half times that). I'd say from the info presented the STP is a no brainer. My last filter was the Mobil 1, have to rethink that..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
Red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 05-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by empeters:
From what information was there the Japan filter is the best, but you can't get it. Next comes the group of Mobil 1, STP/Bosch. Where the Mobil 1 may be better due to something on the filter element. The price of the STP is $2.86 (the Mobil 1 three and a half times that). I'd say from the info presented the STP is a no brainer. My last filter was the Mobil 1, have to rethink that..
</font>
Is saving a couple of bucks on a filter important? Total savings at the end of the year might be $20. ??? I have researched the sh!! out of oil and filters, I found no data that shows anything that beats amsoil. If you get to know your area rep he'll sell you syn. oil fo $4 Qt and filters for $7. Total extra cost to have the best is about $45 a year for me, it could be less but I still change it to often; Old habits are hard to break. Amsoil invented synthetic oil, mobil one is also good if you need something with a name you know.

www.amsoil.com or fun reading
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

If you want the best it's not that expensive. I change every 6k miles. I know of a CL-S owner in Miami that had his amsoil analyzed at 12k miles, the lab data showed his oil beat new 30w halvoline that they use as a standard. syn oil and filters are the only way to go. :
Old 05-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Drifting

I'm not arguing the Oil side (I use Mobile 1). All I'm saying is that from the information in the independent (not checking everything) review, I don't see any compelling reason to spend more than what the STP filter sells for. I'd like to see a laboratory test that would actually test flows and filtering ability, if someone is aware of one please point us to it. I'd also like to see the Honda Japan filter available here..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
Red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 05-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Purolator PureOne is a very well made oil filter with good flow and filtering ability. PL 14459 for 2001 Acura 3.2 CL type S. About $5.95 at PepBoys.