Oh Sh*t moments!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Sh*t moments!

Man, what a week it was...

On Monday last, I was driving home when a person in a new Volks bug cut me off and almost hit me...not your typical cut off. So, getting pissed, I honked and flipped her a "welcome to my lane" finger. She went nuts and started coming up really close to my door and then getting behind me, etc. There was very heavy traffic on 880 north in fremont, so I could not go any where.

I finally pulled into the emergency, left lane and stopped. She did the same and came at me in reverse. So, I called 911 and reported this, since I was seriously scared at this point. I give them all the details, and they tell me to pull back into traffic and get away from her. I do that and all of a sudden she is next to me and she flings an almost full bottle of evian (quart size) at my partially open window. Now, I am on the phone still, and I yelled since I only saw it coming as it hit me.

I slammed on the brakes in real shock...The 911 person said that they would dispatch a cop immediately and that I should try to get off the freeway and go home, which I did. Thankfully I can drive pretty well, and I went into race mode and got off at Marina...I ditched her.

I got a call from the cops and asked if I wanted to press charges and I said yes...so I have to go to court.

Then, on Friday, a coworker in his NSX and I were racing on 280 north when the car in front of me SLAMS on his brakes. I was closing on him going about 110 and he slammed on his brakes. I braked hard and switched lanes at the last second and avoided a major rear-ender...barely.

Well, it turns out he braked because a large pillow was laying in the road. He went around it, but winged it which threw it up in the air causing it to hit my friend in the head...his top was open. Scared the crap out of him.

By the way, we had a great race...it was pretty close on uphills and he obvioulsy beat me in straight acceleration. But, it was a blast and very competitive.

Okay, vent mode over...Michael
Old 08-22-2001, 03:00 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
damn, good stories
Old 08-22-2001, 03:00 AM
Instructor

OH CHIT Moments huh? Try cruising down a nice country road in VA. One yr to the date after you bought your CLS and a drunk lady comes around a curve on your side. Granite rock one side 90' Caviler on the other........WHAMMMMMM She slams into your driver side bumper messes up your bumper, fender, wheel, door, a lil bit of the hood, mirror, driverside window, some suspension parts ........Then the force from her hitting me sent me toward the granit wall where it get passenger side fender, mud guard, and wheel. All I can say on here is "OH CHIT" wasnt the only thing I was screaming!
Old 08-22-2001, 03:10 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Originally posted by ZmZmCar:
<STRONG>Man, what a week it was...

I slammed on the brakes in real shock...The 911 person said that they would dispatch a cop immediately and that I should try to get off the freeway and go home, which I did. Thankfully I can drive pretty well, and I went into race mode and got off at Marina...I ditched her.

I got a call from the cops and asked if I wanted to press charges and I said yes...so I have to go to court.

Okay, vent mode over...Michael</STRONG>
Since you're going to court, I take it that they found her?
Old 08-22-2001, 10:24 AM
Banned

On Monday last, I was driving home when a person in a new Volks bug cut me off and almost hit me...not your typical cut off.

SNIP!

, it was a blast and very competitive.

Nice! Put that bitch in her place. Was is a new Bug?
Old 08-22-2001, 11:15 AM
Racer

On Monday last, I was driving home when a person in a new Volks bug cut me off and almost hit me...not your typical cut off. So, getting pissed, I honked and flipped her a "welcome to my lane" finger. She went nuts and started coming up really close to my door and then getting behind me, etc. There was very heavy traffic on 880 north in fremont, so I could not go any where.

I finally pulled into the emergency, left lane and stopped. She did the same and came at me in reverse. So, I called 911 and reported this, since I was seriously scared at this point. I give them all the details, and they tell me to pull back into traffic and get away from her. I do that and all of a sudden she is next to me and she flings an almost full bottle of evian (quart size) at my partially open window. Now, I am on the phone still, and I yelled since I only saw it coming as it hit me.

Then, on Friday, a coworker in his NSX and I were racing on 280 north when the car in front of me SLAMS on his brakes. I was closing on him going about 110 and he slammed on his brakes. I braked hard and switched lanes at the last second and avoided a major rear-ender...barely.

Well, it turns out he braked because a large pillow was laying in the road. He went around it, but winged it which threw it up in the air causing it to hit my friend in the head...his top was open. Scared the crap out of him.

By the way, we had a great race...it was pretty close on uphills and he obvioulsy beat me in straight acceleration. But, it was a blast and very competitive.

You ran away from a chic? :p
Old 08-22-2001, 11:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Honestly, women are scarier when they are mad, scarier than men. Women just go psycho in their car and they would practically kill you if they could. Years ago some bitch threw a Snapple at me for passing her. My best friend's X ran him off the road into a ditch and then tried to hit him with the car. Fucking crazy women someone get me a cattle prod!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2001, 11:21 AM
Racer

Should've pimp-smacked that biatch!.. j/k!
Old 08-22-2001, 11:28 AM
Racer

Damn, after reading that story, and after my little run in this weekend I have definitely realized people really don't like getting the finger! I don't know what it is... I've gotten the finger before on the road and I usually just laugh!

I guess it could be the fact that they know they were wrong (in the case of this lady cutting you off, and in the case of the crazy truck driver parked an inch from my car) and when you flip em off to say hey, what you just did wasn't cool they get angry and defensive because they know they were wrong to begin with...
Old 08-22-2001, 11:29 AM
Instructor

I have plenty of oh shit moments on my bike. No oh shit moments in my CLS yet. Crapped my pants when I lost my back end in my Rex going 145.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Jeesh, the way she acted you're lucky she didn't pull out a gun and shoot you or your car!! I had an incident about 2 months ago with a guy who was driving a black Ford Explorer. I was in my car with my girlfriend and we were going to get something to eat when this Explorer comes tearing behind me and just misses hitting my car by a few inches. Of course, I get really pissed off and race after the guy. I pull up right next to him and signal him to put his window down. I calmly ask the jackass what his problem is and to make him aware that he almost hits my car. The jackass then tells me that I was going too slow and it was my fault that he cut me off!! I flick him off and call him several names that I won't repeat here. When the light turns green he peels off and cuts me off again! I race next to the guy and point him to stop at the nearest parking lot. I tell my girlfriend that I'm not going to start a fight but that I needed to talk to this guy face to face. He pulls into the parking lot with me right behind him. He and I both get out and next thing I know this guy is 5 foot and starts apologizing as soon as his midget feet hit the ground! I told him to go and apologize to my girlfriend as well and this guy did it! Just goes to show you most of the people acting rude and stupid on the road are just that, rude and stupid. I don't suggest everyone to get out of their cars but this guy pissed me off so much that I had to see what his major malfunction was.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:45 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JOE CL TYPE S with Navi:
<STRONG>Jeesh, the way she acted you're lucky she didn't pull out a gun and shoot you or your car!! I had an incident about 2 months ago with a guy who was driving a black Ford Explorer. I was in my car with my girlfriend and we were going to get something to eat when this Explorer comes tearing behind me and just misses hitting my car by a few inches. Of course, I get really pissed off and race after the guy. I pull up right next to him and signal him to put his window down. I calmly ask the jackass what his problem is and to make him aware that he almost hits my car. The jackass then tells me that I was going too slow and it was my fault that he cut me off!! I flick him off and call him several names that I won't repeat here. When the light turns green he peels off and cuts me off again! I race next to the guy and point him to stop at the nearest parking lot. I tell my girlfriend that I'm not going to start a fight but that I needed to talk to this guy face to face. He pulls into the parking lot with me right behind him. He and I both get out and next thing I know this guy is 5 foot and starts apologizing as soon as his midget feet hit the ground! I told him to go and apologize to my girlfriend as well and this guy did it! Just goes to show you most of the people acting rude and stupid on the road are just that, rude and stupid. I don't suggest everyone to get out of their cars but this guy pissed me off so much that I had to see what his major malfunction was.</STRONG>
That's funny, Munchkin "Rage".
Old 08-22-2001, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I guess he bought an SUV to compensate for his lack of height and his Napoleon Complex! I wanted to step on this guy but violence only breeds more violence. It's funny when he went and apologized to my girlfriend because she used words and phrases that would make a drunk sailor blush!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:11 PM
Adrienne

Talk about an oh-shit moment... How about this? Driving north on I-95 near Woodbridge, VA... I'm in the left lane in semi-heavy traffic, and there's some sort of construction going on, so there's a guardrail right up against the left lane. There's a Volvo directly next to me, and an Excursion behind me, and a Ford Ranger in front. Suddenly, the plastic bed-liner of the Ranger FLIES OUT OF THE BED OF HIS TRUCK, so there's a huge truck-bed-sized piece of plastic coming STRAIGHT FOR US, and I can't slam on the brakes because there's a huge SUV behind me, I can't swerve to the left because there's a guardrail, and I can't swerve to the right because there's a Volvo there.

Somehow, by the grace of God, at the last second, the bed liner turned sideways, and flew in between the Volvo and I... I have no idea why; I'm supposing the air currents turned it on its side or something, but OMG that was scary.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:31 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

dang joe, you made that dude your bitch.....made him apologize!@!@!@ What a douche bag that guy must've been. you got balls man!
Old 08-22-2001, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Zapata, hahahaha! Yeah, I guess he was my biatch! I don't usually call dumbasses out but this guy really pissed me off.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:12 PM
Nightbane

Originally posted by JOE CL TYPE S with Navi:
<STRONG>He and I both get out and next thing I know this guy is 5 foot and starts apologizing as soon as his midget feet hit the ground! </STRONG>
See knowing my luck, I'd step up and the guy would climb out and be a little weakling. THEN his right hand man would step out of the passenger side. A 6'5", 280lbs muscle man named Guido! DAMN....there goes my night!
Old 08-22-2001, 02:37 PM
Advanced

I agree with the theme that women are generally more nuts than men on the road. (Maybe because women tend to be a bit more vendictive?) I have a female friend that was getting on the highway. An 18wheeler was coming down the right lane, but the middle and left lanes were completely empty. Instead of the truck either slowing down a little or changing lanes, he sped up, which made her have to come to a stop. So, she sped up, got in front of him and slammed the brakes. Unbelievable!
Old 08-22-2001, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Don't you hate it when you have a story to tell but, cant type it cause it will incrimnate you! Damn truck drivers!
Old 08-22-2001, 06:25 PM
Instructor

JOE CL TYPE S with Navi,

I don't know, man. You're kinda' lucky that the lil' feller wasn't packin' a gun--he could have shot you in the kneecap!

But, seriously, how are ya gonna know if someone is carrying a concealed handgun? There's lots of nutcases out there.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:52 PM
Advanced

technoid, actually I didn't know if the little bugger had a gun or not but my frustration and anger got the best of me. I took a chance but usually, I just laugh at guys like this and go about my merry way.. Dumb little midget, if I ever see the guy again I'm going to start singing "whistle while you work!"
Old 08-22-2001, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

I have 2 oh chit moments
1)I was out cruising with my buddy who drives a 98 Z28 one Sunday by the lake. Decided to hit it around 60 mph. Now I just wanted to have a little fun b/c I know I can't beat him. Anyways, we are doing about 120 when a sheriff rolls up over a hill. Needless to say I almost shit in my pants. Luckily for us, he didnt turn around and pull us over. Break #1 for me...
2)I was on my way back to work from lunch and a 97 Cobra rolls up next to me at a stop light on a backroad. Now this guy is checking my car out, so I figure he probably wants to go. So the light turns green and I give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he is going to hit it. He does, so I hit it. Well, needless to say I catch up to him and pass him. We get to another light and he is feeling embarrassed. I know as sson as the light turns green we are on. Well, I spanked him boys. The speed limit was 55mph. So at 80 I let off the gas, and he flew by me, so I hit it again. we are doing about 115 when another Sheriff pulls around a corner. Once again I shit in my pants especially when I saw the light go on. I thought oh boy Im going to jail for doubling the speed limit. Now we both pulled up to a stop sign, the Cobra in the left turn lane and me in the right lane to go straight. Well, the cop pulled up behind him in the turn lane and jumped out of his car like he was making a drug bust. I waited to see if he would make a motion to me, then took off...slowly. Needless to say I had to cjeck my shorts when I got to work.....
Old 08-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Tony, you are lucky mofo...
Old 08-22-2001, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Ya, I was the one on the bridge when we blew past the cop at over 120. Scared the hell out of me. If I had seen brake lights I was thinking about making a run for it and letting Tony deal with the cop. Pretty fun day none the less.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Silvia-S:
<STRONG>2)I was on my way back to work from lunch and a 97 Cobra rolls up next to me at a stop light on a backroad. Now this guy is checking my car out, so I figure he probably wants to go. So the light turns green and I give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he is going to hit it. He does, so I hit it. Well, needless to say I catch up to him and pass him. We get to another light and he is feeling embarrassed. I know as sson as the light turns green we are on. Well, I spanked him boys. The speed limit was 55mph. So at 80 I let off the gas, and he flew by me, so I hit it again. we are doing about 115 when another Sheriff pulls around a corner. Once again I shit in my pants especially when I saw the light go on. I thought oh boy Im going to jail for doubling the speed limit. Now we both pulled up to a stop sign, the Cobra in the left turn lane and me in the right lane to go straight. Well, the cop pulled up behind him in the turn lane and jumped out of his car like he was making a drug bust. I waited to see if he would make a motion to me, then took off...slowly. Needless to say I had to cjeck my shorts when I got to work..... </STRONG>
You check your shorts, I'll check my boots, it's getting awfully deep in here.

No way you could beat a '97 Cobra, especially if you gave him the holeshot like you stated and more especially in a high speed run. The dude wasn't full throttle or didn't actually have a Cobra or had 3 plug wires disconnected.

So how exactly did you know it was a '97 Cobra, or even a Cobra, did you ask the guy? There are ways to tell, but just wondering how you knew for sure. Was it an auto or stick?

My best guess is that some dude in a V6er put the Cobra badges on it and got his ass spanked, either that or you are just full of shit.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by gobridge:
<STRONG>I agree with the theme that women are generally more nuts than men on the road. (Maybe because women tend to be a bit more vendictive?)</STRONG>
I'll try for a less sexist theory.

People who are experienced with direct, high-level conflict tend to have a more graduated range of responses. People who are inexperienced with such anger + adrenaline direct conflict are usually the ones that exhibit the binary Walter Mitty/crazed animal behaviour.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DtEW:
<STRONG>

I'll try for a less sexist theory.

People who are experienced with direct, high-level conflict tend to have a more graduated range of responses. People who are inexperienced with such anger + adrenaline direct conflict are usually the ones that exhibit the binary Walter Mitty/crazed animal behaviour.</STRONG>

Very interesting -- sounds like a theory in "fuzzy anger". I also like the idea of "binary personalities"
Old 08-23-2001, 05:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL:
<STRONG>Very interesting -- sounds like a theory in "fuzzy anger". I also like the idea of "binary personalities" </STRONG>
I: "What shall we do, professor? Her response has exceeded measurable ranges in all parameters."
P: "Igor, our branch-prediction algorithms have failed. We do not have the right response curve in cache, which is what is causing this stuttering 'but, but, but...' latency. Without the proper response curve to match her output, there is no chance the random generator will happen upon the passcode necessary to defuse her anger."
I: "What will happen if we fail, professor?"
P: "Her stacks will overflow, her output will start clipping, and she'll go critical."
I: "My God! I told you we should have went the long way and picked up the dry cleaning!"

:p
Old 08-23-2001, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

ok. You are correct sir. It probably was not a 97 Cobra. But it was a Cobra. It had SVT on the back and the back bumper said COBRA on it. It could have abeen a 94. My bad for incoorectly stating the year. But just wait till I get my intake and my headers, then you can drive up here and I'll show you what a CL-S can do......I may not beat you, but I'll give you a hell of a run.....

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

You check your shorts, I'll check my boots, it's getting awfully deep in here.

No way you could beat a '97 Cobra, especially if you gave him the holeshot like you stated and more especially in a high speed run. The dude wasn't full throttle or didn't actually have a Cobra or had 3 plug wires disconnected.

So how exactly did you know it was a '97 Cobra, or even a Cobra, did you ask the guy? There are ways to tell, but just wondering how you knew for sure. Was it an auto or stick?

My best guess is that some dude in a V6er put the Cobra badges on it and got his ass spanked, either that or you are just full of shit.</STRONG>
Old 08-23-2001, 01:22 PM
Banned

<STRONG>ok. You are correct sir. It probably was not a 97 Cobra. But it was a Cobra. It had SVT on the back and the back bumper said COBRA on it. It could have abeen a 94. My bad for incoorectly stating the year. But just wait till I get my intake and my headers, then you can drive up here and I'll show you what a CL-S can do......I may not beat you, but I'll give you a hell of a run.....

</STRONG>
Well, a '94 Cobra would read "Mustang" on the back bumper, not "Cobra". The '94 is a totally different animal than the '97. Pushrod 5.0 vs. DOHC 4.6. Going over the finer points of Cobra differences is not that important, and prolly no that interesting to you. My point is that you really don't know what you raced; you could have actually raced a V6 or a '96-'98 GT Mustang that was made up as a Cobra.

Where exactly will the headers and intake put you? Low 14s? 14.0? High 13s? Not trying to flame here, just curious as to what it will do.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

Well, a '94 Cobra would read "Mustang" on the back bumper, not "Cobra". The '94 is a totally different animal than the '97. Pushrod 5.0 vs. DOHC 4.6. Going over the finer points of Cobra differences is not that important, and prolly no that interesting to you. My point is that you really don't know what you raced; you could have actually raced a V6 or a '96-'98 GT Mustang that was made up as a Cobra.

Where exactly will the headers and intake put you? Low 14s? 14.0? High 13s? Not trying to flame here, just curious as to what it will do.</STRONG>
People would actually do that?? You make your car look faster, but then when you get your doors blown off you look like an idoit. Oh well, their problem. The intake and headers would probably put me in the mid 14's. I know some poepl on this page have the COmptech headers and Dragon intake. Maybe they have a better idea of what numbers they are running....
Old 08-23-2001, 01:52 PM
Banned

<STRONG>

People would actually do that?? You make your car look faster, but then when you get your doors blown off you look like an idoit. Oh well, their problem. The intake and headers would probably put me in the mid 14's. I know some poepl on this page have the COmptech headers and Dragon intake. Maybe they have a better idea of what numbers they are running....</STRONG>
Yeah, I've seen it before (especially in your neck of the woods, Austin-San Antonio).

It's used to be just the ricers putting "Type R" and "VTEC" on every entry level POS they could, but I hate to admit it, but some Stang owners do it as well.

Me personally, I'm all go, no show...
Old 08-23-2001, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

No offence Pull_T, but the CL and the Cobra are two totally different animals. There really should not be a comparison here. The SVT is a muscle car and the Cl-s is a grand tourer. Of course I would want your car at any red light in any place at any time. But for long distance jaunts and urban commuting the exhaust would make you deaf, the suspension would jar the shit out of you, the gas would empty your wallet, and the quality of the interior is just plain laughable.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Slanteye2:
<STRONG>No offence Pull_T, but the CL and the Cobra are two totally different animals. There really should not be a comparison here. The SVT is a muscle car and the Cl-s is a grand tourer. Of course I would want your car at any red light in any place at any time. But for long distance jaunts and urban commuting the exhaust would make you deaf, the suspension would jar the shit out of you, the gas would empty your wallet, and the quality of the interior is just plain laughable.</STRONG>
I never made comparisons between the CLS and Cobra. I simply responded to a post dealing with a Cobra in particular. I realize they are in different 'classes'.

I do get 29 mpg on the highway when I am not bring it to 7 grand all the time, and I would dispute that the interior is 'laughable'