OEM Navi install... one problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Navi install... one problem

So I had the OEM Navi installed that Steve sold me, and the shop did a solid job with it. Everything fit perfectly and the screen seems to be working properly with the climate control. The only problem is the navi function itself. It's showing one of two errors depending what I do:

Navigation unit door open or DVD ROM Disc not installed. Please Check System.

OR

DVD Rom Disc reading error (unformatted). Please consult dealer.

Normally when I turn the car on, I get the first message. So of course I go to the trunk, open the navi door and eject the disc, then put it back in. That gives me the second error. I turn the car off, then back on, and I get the first message again.

Also, the GPS is working because the clock is showing the correct time (albeit 3 hours off). Coincidently, the last person who used this system was from Cali, so could there be a reset that needs to occur? Or Reinitialization?

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
My guess is the Navi DVD systems are programmed for each car and yours does not recognize the system. I think it needs some kind of setup up or initialization with the cars's systems, my guess. I'm sure others know more than I do.
good luck, great job so far.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm psyched it all went together nicely. I'm sure the current problem is something little that will be taken care of easily. Can't wait to see it and play around with it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by derelict
So I had the OEM Navi installed that Steve sold me, and the shop did a solid job with it. Everything fit perfectly and the screen seems to be working properly with the climate control. The only problem is the navi function itself. It's showing one of two errors depending what I do:

Navigation unit door open or DVD ROM Disc not installed. Please Check System.

OR

DVD Rom Disc reading error (unformatted). Please consult dealer.

Normally when I turn the car on, I get the first message. So of course I go to the trunk, open the navi door and eject the disc, then put it back in. That gives me the second error. I turn the car off, then back on, and I get the first message again.

Also, the GPS is working because the clock is showing the correct time (albeit 3 hours off). Coincidently, the last person who used this system was from Cali, so could there be a reset that needs to occur? Or Reinitialization?

Any ideas?
The clock time issue is pretty simple. I don't have the factory navi, but most of the navigation systems that i've dealt with have a setting in a menu somewhere that lets you set your time zone.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

unless the dvd player somehow broke during transit I'll give Tischer a call tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Doubtful, it was packed very well. The guy never got back to me regarding his contact info. If he does tomorrow i'll tell him to check out this thread and see what's up.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
My guess is the Navi DVD systems are programmed for each car and yours does not recognize the system. I think it needs some kind of setup up or initialization with the cars's systems, my guess.
Can't be. This system was installed in another member's car that was originally non-navigation as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was wondering how it all turned out since the meet. Were there any issues with the A/C controls? Same plugs and jacks right?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the main dvd unit in the trunk.. This is a problem for me on certain weird conditions.. Maybe you can talk to Tisher or another Acura dealership for a quick swap/troubleshoot.. But I'm about 85% sure this is your problem.. Common problem.. Also, if you do so check the navi disc before swapping the whole unit..
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

I had that same error come up when I bought my car, dealer ended up replacing the unit. Could just be the disc.

<correction>..what Jonesi said. The dealer replaced the unit in the trunk, not the navi in the car.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:11 PM
2001 3.2 CL

I've got an extra 1.09J disc if you want it. It's yours for $20, if you think it might be the disc.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the offer, if it does turn out to be the disc I'd consider buying it.

I got another message today that might help with troubleshooting the problem: after about 10 minutes of driving with just the clock showing, a screen came on saying:

"System is shutting down now to conserve battery".

Uhhh? Is it somehow not getting enough juice? using too much? Is something not hooked up properly related to power? The plot thickens! I'm hesitant to call an Acura dealer for help since this is a custom install (even though it's with OEM purchased parts). Would a dealer know (or even check) that the car originally had navi to begin with before diagnosing and/or warrantying the navi parts?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Your VIN number indicates Navi/non-navi. Now most dealerships might not be smart enough to figure this out right away. Did you try and contact the guy again?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I got another message today that might help with troubleshooting the problem: after about 10 minutes of driving with just the clock showing, a screen came on saying:

Was it a blue background with yellow message box(middle)?

From the signs you are getting plenty of juice.. This screen/error message comes on when you have the car on but not started and after about 7-10 minutes.. Sounds like it is picking up on the wrong signal (ex. remote signal).. I've never done the install but it sounds like one connection is incorrect.. If someone has the wiring diagrams/schematics I may be able to pinpoint the problem.. If someone does my email is
Old 12-17-2004, 03:41 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I appreciate the offer, if it does turn out to be the disc I'd consider buying it.

Uhhh? Is it somehow not getting enough juice? using too much? Is something not hooked up properly related to power? The plot thickens! I'm hesitant to call an Acura dealer for help since this is a custom install (even though it's with OEM purchased parts). Would a dealer know (or even check) that the car originally had navi to begin with before diagnosing and/or warrantying the navi parts?
One of the wires that needs to be connected is a "charging signal" wire. This signal can be tapped into via the instrument cluster. You'll have to confirm which wire it is but that is where I tapped into. It lets the Nav system know that your car is running otherwise it will want to shut down.

There is a diagnostic mode that you can enter that allows you to change the time zone. You press three of the buttons simultaneously then turn the accessory power on. You'll have to check with the service manual as I have already forgotten all of these details and have subsequently sold my service manual when I sold my car.

The DVD unit worked perfectly in my car for several months. It may have gotten damaged in shipping but I packed it the best I could. I did buy insurance but I don't think it will cover the purchase of a new unit from Acura. LMK if I can help.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Was it a blue background with yellow message box(middle)?

From the signs you are getting plenty of juice.. This screen/error message comes on when you have the car on but not started and after about 7-10 minutes.. Sounds like it is picking up on the wrong signal (ex. remote signal).. I've never done the install but it sounds like one connection is incorrect.. If someone has the wiring diagrams/schematics I may be able to pinpoint the problem.. If someone does my email is

Kevin has all the diagrams.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lithiumus
One of the wires that needs to be connected is a "charging signal" wire. This signal can be tapped into via the instrument cluster. You'll have to confirm which wire it is but that is where I tapped into. It lets the Nav system know that your car is running otherwise it will want to shut down.

There is a diagnostic mode that you can enter that allows you to change the time zone. You press three of the buttons simultaneously then turn the accessory power on. You'll have to check with the service manual as I have already forgotten all of these details and have subsequently sold my service manual when I sold my car.

The DVD unit worked perfectly in my car for several months. It may have gotten damaged in shipping but I packed it the best I could. I did buy insurance but I don't think it will cover the purchase of a new unit from Acura. LMK if I can help.
Thanks for responding! Any ideas about the original 2 error messages I posted? First and foremost I'd just like to get the navi working. The shutdown and timezone seem easy enough to fix, but if I have a problem with the actually navi unit itself I might have to do some creative thinking
Old 12-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Kevin, is the shop aware of the issue you are having? Are they sure everything was re-installed correctly?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
these errors sound like they are coming directly from the DVD unit. is the DVD scratched? try another DVD.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Kevin, is the shop aware of the issue you are having? Are they sure everything was re-installed correctly?
Yes they were aware, but didn't know how to fix it. Since the error said "consult your dealer" they were hoping maybe it just needed to be reset. I'm sure I can take it back to them for help, but since this was their first attempt at the install they couldn't do much troubleshooting. I'll have to ask them to hook up the charging signal wire that Lith mentioned, but I'd like to get a better idea of what else might be wrong so they can do it all at once.

Originally Posted by lithiumus
these errors sound like they are coming directly from the DVD unit. is the DVD scratched? try another DVD.
I took the DVD out and looked at it, but no scratches. Was the DVD in the player during shipping? I didn't get a chance to check before dropping off the items at the shop.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,191 Likes on 693 Posts
i added factory Navi to my first gen CL and i had the same errors and sometimes it would work The dealership thought it was cool i put one in my car so they switched out the navi units for me to try and it worked so it is probably the dvd unit I am still looking for a new one

Old 12-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

I took the DVD out and looked at it, but no scratches. Was the DVD in the player during shipping? I didn't get a chance to check before dropping off the items at the shop.
Yes it was.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Hm I tried to do a quick search on here for the navi setup sequence but no luck. Can any navi owners check their manual for which buttons to hold down before turning on the accessories to access the menu? thanks!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

Diagnostic Mode

You could try running a NAVI system diagnostic on the unit. (I have a feeling you need to see the dealer too -- sorry.)

If you are glutton for punishment:

You need to start up the car in Park. Then hit the OK message on the Nav screen -- this may be impossible for you to do (if the screen is too messed up, or can't approximate where the OK would be on the screen).

You didn't say if the unit dies before or after you hit the "OK -- I understand that I can't be a moron and stare at the NAVI while driving.." screen.

If you can hit the OK button screen, then...

Press and hold down the following buttons in the order shown:

MENU
MAP
CANCEL

Hold buttons and wait from 5 - 20 seconds.

If the diags is working you will get a screen with submenus. One is a system diagnostic menu -- but it does need a working display.

The Helms manual fully documents the operation of the diagnostics.

If your LCD panel or video driver is too messed-up, there won't be a way to diagnose the unit with the brain damaged screen. If this is the case, sorry for wasting your time.

Good luck.
Found this searching
Old 12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my two cents here...could just be that you don't have the latest ver. disc.

The first problem: If lithiumus (or anyone else) ever installed the latest DVD it re-formatted the DVD system and any older discs will no longer work, showing the format error. Check to see if you have the latest disc- ver. 211c I think. I can't see that shipping the disc in the system would do any damage, it's designed to be bumped around.

The second problem: The clock time zone issue is easily re-programmed via the REGULAR screens once the system begins functioning properly. No three-button pressing to do.

The third problem: "System shutting down to conserve battery" is a default setting that normally shuts the system down when the ignition key is in the accessory only position. Make sure that you have the engine off but in the third or last position. This could also be from the Navi system not funtioning properly in the third position.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Lithiumus informed me he only used the disc that was sold with the system, so that rules out the first option.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cruz_msl
The third problem: "System shutting down to conserve battery" is a default setting that normally shuts the system down when the ignition key is in the accessory only position. Make sure that you have the engine off but in the third or last position. This could also be from the Navi system not funtioning properly in the third position.
It shuts down while I'm driving on the highway. I'm pretty sure lithiumus' suggestion about the charging signal wire will be the answer once I can get it back in the shop.

Everything about this kit is so perfectly tailored... it simply MUST work! Just need to diagnose the real problem...
Old 12-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Your original error is part of the navi unit in the trunk.. To be honest I have these random occurences.. Happened for a few months but now everything seems back to normal.. I'm about 95% sure it's the unit or disc..
Old 12-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Anyone in the MD area have a navi dvd I can try? I brought my car into Tischer this morning because something under the hood took a crap on me this weekend, but I also mentioned to Brandon about the navi install hoping they could help out with diagnosing the problem. He said he would give it a shot but chances are they'd be little help since there is so much that is different between the navi and non-navi CL (even the radio is different he claims?). This was disappointing especially since the kit uses everything possible from the navi CL (a 2003 no less) - I really don't see how it would be any different for them to troubleshoot. I'm not looking to have it covered under warranty, I just want to know what the problem is
Old 12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

The radio is the same in both units. I spoke with Brandon when I first bought the system and he was very skeptical about how it would all work, but other people have done it without a problem. I mean people have installed aftermarket headunits with OEM navigation without a problem. The radio doesn't matter.