No traffic tickets since 1980...until today

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No traffic tickets since 1980...until today

Making a business trip from the Chicago burbs to Appleton WI, I filled the beast up with premium at $2.10 and set off. To get to the tollway, there is 25 traffic lights, and I had to stop for at least half of them. And then, two complete stops to pay tolls, and another stop near the tollway to pick up a co worker. Using no A/c on the way up, the mileage was 31 on the nose at 70-75 mph.

On the return, in south Milwaukee, me and the other guy were pacing the flow of traffic, and talking DVD movies when I noticed the lights in the rear view mirror! Well, I pulled over, and the officer, he was nice, and I was nice to him let me know I was doing 86 in a 65. Oh well, first ticket in 23 years, and if I go another 23 and get another, I'll be happy.

But, get the fine: $255.40! I'll write a check for it tonight and be done with it. Damn! Tickets have gotten to be pricey!
Old 08-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
holy shit...that's the highest fine I ever heard of..
Old 08-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro

In California if you go more than 20 over it is points on your record and your insurance goes up! You got off cheap.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Of interest, as I read the ticket after I got home, this fine applies, as far as I can tell, if you do 6 mph over the limit (speeding in excess over 5 mph of the posted limit). Wow!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Sick Spd Owner

I wasnt even driving in 1980, i was 2
Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by synth19
holy shit...that's the highest fine I ever heard of..
I heard that amount times two - speeding 35 over on a construction area.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Re: No traffic tickets since 1980...until today

Originally posted by dfreder370

But, get the fine: $255.40! I'll write a check for it tonight and be done with it. Damn! Tickets have gotten to be pricey!

why are you gonna pay the ticket? Get an attourney and let him take care of the case. You might be able to just get away with attourney fees and court fees (which can be as much as your ticket) with the peace of mind that u wont get any points. I have done that 3 times.... still 0 points and no traffic school.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Read the back of the ticket and see your options. I took a deferred sentence which you can use once every 7 years. Pay a $100 fine and if you have no other tickets for a year, it is wiped away.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Always go to court....the officer that issued the ticket might not show....its worked for me twice!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Holy fine Batman.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Always go to court....the officer that issued the ticket might not show....its worked for me twice!
Why would he want to drive back up to Milwaukee for a traffic ticket to appear in court later this Winter?

First he'll have to call in his plea in a few weeks to set a court date.....

However, I would try to get it dismissed before I just pay up, but going to court is a waste of time since it sounds like he was actually speeding when he got pulled over.

Imagine if he appears and the judge/prosecutor says "Were you speeding..." and he says "...well, yes I admitted that to the police....." Waste of time IMO....
Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by kensteele
Why would he want to drive back up to Milwaukee for a traffic ticket to appear in court later this Winter?

First he'll have to call in his plea in a few weeks to set a court date.....

However, I would try to get it dismissed before I just pay up, but going to court is a waste of time since it sounds like he was actually speeding when he got pulled over.

Imagine if he appears and the judge/prosecutor says "Were you speeding..." and he says "...well, yes I admitted that to the police....." Waste of time IMO....
plee no contest and the judge can reconsider because he hasn't gotten any tickets for 23 years. I will always suggest the appearance of an attourney though.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Drifting

I was speeding. In fact, about 5 minutes before I got pulled over, I told my co worker that "here is the stretch of this expressway where everybody does 90 mph" (South of Milwaukee, to the Illinois state line). I'm just the one he caught, and it is not worth my time to contest this. Just pay the fine, and I am done with it. Expensive though.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:59 AM
6mt
Instructor

i got a $420 ticket in va once on chesapeake bay bridge, doing 85 in 40 or something silly like that. needless to say it was a good lesson. i didn't fight it because it was too far of a drive and i was the only car on the road so technically i had no defense. 6 points with 6 months suspension in va, which i didn't really care much about because i never go to va. points don't transfer from state to state, at least in pa
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by dgracer
In California if you go more than 20 over it is points on your record and your insurance goes up! You got off cheap.

what CA are you living in? Any ticket is a point on your record and your insurance goes up unless you can got to traffic school.

BTW, that price isn't that bad, i've paid a few 300+$ tickets for speeding
Old 08-26-2003, 08:17 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
In GA, it's illegal for a officer to pull you over unless you are going more the 10mph over the limit. I found that interesting.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by CLpower
In GA, it's illegal for a officer to pull you over unless you are going more the 10mph over the limit. I found that interesting.

So what does speed LIMIT mean then???
Old 08-26-2003, 08:19 AM
teh Senior Instigator

I hear ya, I found it odd too. I know in most places they can't pull you over for 5mph over or less. Or atleast the judge will throw it out.

I think some of it may be compensating for the +/- 5mph error most manufactures allow the speedo's to have and still be acceptable to sell.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Having the judge throw it out versus it being "illegal" are two different things.

I can't imagine it's "illegal" for an officer to pull someone going 8mph over the limit.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Let me find the link I found
Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Don't stop for tollways...
Old 08-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

I actually got pulled over on sat night doing 20 over. I was lucky the officer was not a state trooper and believed (or sot of believed) all the bullshit i was saying.

He said "stop speeding" and left.

Anyways... here is south FL you pay $69 for attourney fees and they take care of the case. In many instances the case is dismissed. In one case i just paid court fees (avoiding points). I paid a sligtly higher attourney fee in NC ($150) and I ended paying court fees ($90) with no points.

Points will for sure increase your insurance premium.

Traffic school is very likely to do so too (as per mi agent said to me).

So just avoid both at all costs.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:27 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Just some interesting things out of GA

40-14-8.

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term 'historic district' means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.

40-14-5.

(b) Each county, municipal, or campus law enforcement officer using a radar device shall notify each person against whom the officer intends to make a case based on the use of the radar device that the person has a right to request the officer to test the radar device for accuracy. The notice shall be given prior to the time a citation and complaint or ticket is issued against the person and, if requested to make a test, the officer shall test the radar device for accuracy. In the event the radar device does not meet the minimum accuracy requirements, the citation and complaint or ticket shall not be issued against the person, and the radar device shall be removed from service and thereafter shall not be used by the county, municipal, or campus law enforcement agency until it has been serviced, calibrated, and recertified by a technician with the qualifications specified in Code Section 40-14-4.

40-14-7.

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

40-14-9.

Evidence obtained by county or municipal law enforcement officers in using speed detection devices within 300 feet of a reduction of a speed limit inside an incorporated municipality or within 600 feet of a reduction of a speed limit outside an incorporated municipality or consolidated city-county government shall be inadmissible in the prosecution of a violation of any municipal ordinance, county ordinance, or state law regulating speed; nor shall such evidence be admissible in the prosecution of a violation as aforesaid when such violation has occurred within 30 days following a reduction of the speed limit in the area where the violation took place. No speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, or campus law enforcement officers on any portion of any highway which has a grade in excess of 7 percent.

can all be found here http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin....pl?code=1-1-1
Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 AM
im back

Originally posted by dgracer
In new york if you go 1-9mph over you get points so thats nothing.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Administrator Alumnus

40-14-8.

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

I'll have to keep this in mind when passing through GA next time.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:40 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by I am RobG
In new york if you go 1-9mph over you get points so thats nothing.
he wasn't right, in CA you get points for any moving violation.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice guys, but the check is in the mail. The funny thing was that Matt, my co worker, when he saw the fine, he was like WTF!, but I told him to cool it. The officer was very professional, he did not talk down to me or lecture me. And, when he returned with my "gift", he thanked me for treating him so professionally also. Normally, I try to talk my way out of these things, but for 21 over, I would be wasting my and his time.

And his parting words were, "Slow down, and you have a very nice car there sir."
Old 08-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ticket. A 23 year drought ain't bad at all.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Race Director

40-14-8.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term 'historic district' means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.

40-14-5.

(b) Each county, municipal, or campus law enforcement officer using a radar device shall notify each person against whom the officer intends to make a case based on the use of the radar device that the person has a right to request the officer to test the radar device for accuracy. The notice shall be given prior to the time a citation and complaint or ticket is issued against the person and, if requested to make a test, the officer shall test the radar device for accuracy. In the event the radar device does not meet the minimum accuracy requirements, the citation and complaint or ticket shall not be issued against the person, and the radar device shall be removed from service and thereafter shall not be used by the county, municipal, or campus law enforcement agency until it has been serviced, calibrated, and recertified by a technician with the qualifications specified in Code Section 40-14-4.

40-14-7.

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

40-14-9.

Evidence obtained by county or municipal law enforcement officers in using speed detection devices within 300 feet of a reduction of a speed limit inside an incorporated municipality or within 600 feet of a reduction of a speed limit outside an incorporated municipality or consolidated city-county government shall be inadmissible in the prosecution of a violation of any municipal ordinance, county ordinance, or state law regulating speed; nor shall such evidence be admissible in the prosecution of a violation as aforesaid when such violation has occurred within 30 days following a reduction of the speed limit in the area where the violation took place. No speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, or campus law enforcement officers on any portion of any highway which has a grade in excess of 7 percent.

can all be found here http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin....pl?code=1-1-1
Hehe, you just quoted from the section that the State uses to keep the city, county, and university police under control. None of this applies to the Georgia State Troopers. Pennsylania has a similar law.