NITROUS!!! Wet vs Dry?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
NITROUS!!! Wet vs Dry?

Ok so my next objective is putting Nitrous in my car. I did my research but i found different opinions. Maybe someone here can help me figure out whats safer for my car in the long run: a wet kit or a dry kit?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any type of nitrous is bad in the long run!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Any type of nitrous is bad in the long run!
it surprises me to hear you say that, ram....I think NOS can be a great, SAFE tool if used properly...if you use it to act like a supercharger (always on), that is bad...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, im not going to abuse it. I just want to to use once in a while when i really want to beat someone.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
cl-:P

ive heard that wet is better because dry causes some cylanders to work harder than others while wet is distributed evenly.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Dry will be easier to install, because you won't have to tap into the fuel line.

Dry will not pose a threat of detonation due to "pooling" of the fuel in the intake.

But when actually running nitrous, wet is safer because extra fuel and oxygen are coming in already mixed, maintaining safe air-fuel ratio. With dry, it would lean out the engine while nitrous is being fed.

It also depends on how big of a shot you want to run, too.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

NOS utilizes a intense chemical reaction that needs to be controlled. FI is just air!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I want to run like a 75 shot or less. I have Cold Air intake, will that reduce the chances of detonation because of pooling?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
I want to run like a 75 shot or less. I have Cold Air intake, will that reduce the chances of detonation because of pooling?
I think for a 75 and if you're not planning on using it much that you would be fine with a dry kit and be more benefitial for you (less money, simpler, no pooling issues, less work of install time & money). Afterall going wet won't change the HP addition. Let us know what systems you are considering.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
NOS utilizes a intense chemical reaction that needs to be controlled. FI is just air!
not really an intense chem rxn....it is simply heat from the engine breaking the N2O into separate atoms, giving the engine more oxygen as well as more gas volume....there really is not a big difference, simply that usually people with FI have better control of fuel than those with NOS....my
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im considering the ZEX 75 shot because its pretty affordable and many people here seem to be using it. My other choice is NX. What do u think about those? Also i had another question, do we really need the purge kit, the remote bottle opener and the bottle warmer? I dont think I can afford all of that....
Old 02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

What does each of those do? Im a total newbie when it comes to nitrous :P
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
wet if it's above a 75 shot IMO
Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Dragging knees in

Purge kit literally purges the nitrous lines so that you get a good delivery of nitrous.

Remote bottle opener has a servo that opens and closes the bottle by a switch. Since the tank is under pressure, it's better to leave it closed until you are about to use it. At the track, this isn't a problem because you know when you're gonna use it. But if you're going to race someone randomnly on the streets, then you probably won't have time to stop the car, get out, go to the trunk, open the bottle, and get in. By then, the other guy will be long gone. So with a remote bottle opener, you can open up the tank in a few seconds whenever you want.

Bottle warmer keeps the bottle warm to keep the pressure within range, useful if you live in cold areas. In California, you probably won't need it.

For occasional use, you won't really need any of those. But the remote bottle opener might come in handy if you spot someone on the streets and want to race.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, and tell your transmission I said good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

So when i purge nitrous comes out of the car (and you can actually see it)? Im gonna need the remote bottle opener for sure...
Anyways... Should I go for ZEX?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can get the transmission replaced at the dealer right? if i take out the nitrous system b4 i go?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
something witty

I can get the transmission replaced at the dealer right? if i take out the nitrous system b4 i go?
Yes you can, but you will also pay higher prices next time you want to buy an Acura.

You are literally fucking over the rest of us who absorb the cost to replace your tranny.

And BTW, posting about burning your tranny and replacing at a dealers cost isnt so smart to discuss on a public forum dedicated to Acura owners.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

So my tranny is gonna burn for sure?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have another question. Suppose you go to the track, do u shoot nitrous in first gear? second? Third? when you shoot it, do u press a button and let go right after or do u have to keep it pressed for however long you want the nitrous stop being sprayed into your intake?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

You are going to want to buy a blowoff value & tube to prevent against rupture or bursting from pressure either in the lines or bottle. I use NX equipment but have a direct port setup,. Zex is a very good brand and a good value as well. If you go with a button, you will spray as long as you hold the button. If you want you can go with a setup like mine that has a RPM window which will only allow the spray to occurr with in a specified RPM range. I also use throttle position switch which activates the nitrous shot (instead of pushing a button) when the car is at WOT, it does this when a sensor under the gas pedal. This way you don't have to look down or take your hands off the wheel (altough some button systems work off the wheel for this reason).
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by farberstyle
Yes you can, but you will also pay higher prices next time you want to buy an Acura.

You are literally fucking over the rest of us who absorb the cost to replace your tranny.

And BTW, posting about burning your tranny and replacing at a dealers cost isnt so smart to discuss on a public forum dedicated to Acura owners.

Well that's the dumbest thing I have ever read.
If I gotta get my tranny replaced, i'm not going to feel bad abotu you...fuck you.
IIRC, Legends were built rock solid...did that mean that th CL/TL came out at a lower price than it would have if the Legend/Teg's had faulty tranny's? I don't think so. 3rd gen TL's are not much more expensive than the 2nd, even with the faulty 2nd gen slushbox. Acura's are priced high b/c they are luxury autos...you want cheaper?? buy a civic.

And I also think you give dealers WAY too much credit...no way will they go to the effort to first find out if you post on a place like this, second who you are on the place, and third file through your posts to find out that type of stuff......no way.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JaredGMS
If I gotta get my tranny replaced, i'm not going to feel bad abotu you...fuck you.
IIRC, Legends were built rock solid...did that mean that th CL/TL came out at a lower price than it would have if the Legend/Teg's had faulty tranny's? I don't think so. 3rd gen TL's are not much more expensive than the 2nd, even with the faulty 2nd gen slushbox. Acura's are priced high b/c they are luxury autos...you want cheaper?? buy a civic.

And I also think you give dealers WAY too much credit...no way will they go to the effort to first find out if you post on a place like this, second who you are on the place, and third file through your posts to find out that type of stuff......no way.

I think some people are just overreacting.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
something witty

Originally Posted by JaredGMS

I can think of some dumber things that have been posted here.

When someone says:

They are insinuating that if their transmission blows they will take their car to the dealer for replacement. I can't think of too many other modifications that are as volatile as nitrous.

I just don't want to have to pay for someone else's error when I buy my next Acura
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
So my tranny is gonna burn for sure?

No. I have about 300whp in my automatic CL-S. No tranny slippage at all,
Old 02-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
They are insinuating that if their transmission blows they will take their car to the dealer for replacement. I can't think of too many other modifications that are as volatile as nitrous.

I just don't want to have to pay for someone else's error when I buy my next Acura
if acura wasn't having such huge problems w/ our transmissions i would agree, but as the situation stands i would have no problem taking off my nitrous system and accepting a "new" trans under warranty.

this whole transmission fiasco is their problem, screw them.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thx mrsteve. JaredGMS if your not gonna help me dont waste your time replying plz....
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Dragging knees in

If we had an award for overreaction of the month, then you would be the no. 1 candidate.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, especially considering the situation with the transmission in our cars. Whether people use nitrous or not, whether they have modifications or not, transmissions have been breaking down left and right. Yeah, it's possible that Acura/Honda will factor in the cost of all this into the pricing of their new models in the future. But even if they did, it wouldn't make a big difference in pricing. If you're worried about that, then don't buy an Acura in the future.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Well established defect with the transmission, just because someone with a modified car had a transmission failure doesn't mean it was because of "abuse."

Relax...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Posted by Juruki: "Thx mrsteve. JaredGMS if your not gonna help me dont waste your time replying plz...."
I meant farberstyle
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Meat stick

Posted by Juruki: "Thx mrsteve. JaredGMS if your not gonna help me dont waste your time replying plz...."
I meant farberstyle
thx...i was a bit puzzled by that.....