New tranny went out too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001 | 10:07 PM
- daemonichris -

New tranny went out too!!!

i'm seriously pissed off. my car has only been back for a week, and the same problems happened again! the D5 light flashing, VSA off, SS mode unusable, and driving stuck in 2nd gear!!!

at this point, i'm thinking there are only 3 possible things that are going on. 1) the problem ISN'T the transmission. 2) tustin acura screwed me by installing the new tranny poorly. 3) tustin acura actually just tried fixing the old tranny and didn't tell me.

seriously, this shit is fucking ridiculous. i'm mean, i've only had the car back for a week and the same problems are happening again??? what can i do legally now? does it qualify being a lemon? i'm sick and tired of dealing with my CL-S now. i don't want a new car, but i want a new CL-S! acura has lost my business in the future...
Old 11-14-2001 | 10:10 PM
Banned

Re: New tranny went out too!!!

Originally posted by Chris
i'm seriously pissed off. my car has only been back for a week, and the same problems happened again! the D5 light flashing, VSA off, SS mode unusable, and driving stuck in 2nd gear!!!

at this point, i'm thinking there are only 3 possible things that are going on. 1) the problem ISN'T the transmission. 2) tustin acura screwed me by installing the new tranny poorly. 3) tustin acura actually just tried fixing the old tranny and didn't tell me.

seriously, this shit is fucking ridiculous. i'm mean, i've only had the car back for a week and the same problems are happening again??? what can i do legally now? does it qualify being a lemon? i'm sick and tired of dealing with my CL-S now. i don't want a new car, but i want a new CL-S! acura has lost my business in the future...
Take it back and give 'em Hell. Thats weird...Tustin Acura has always been good to me...
Old 11-14-2001 | 10:29 PM
- daemonichris -

i did took it back this morning. i made sure that i didn't look happy and i'm pretty sure my service advisor took the hint. they're going to check it up again. hopefully it's actually something else other than the tranny.
Old 11-14-2001 | 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

sorry to hear that. keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2001 | 07:24 AM
Pro

you will have to check your local laws . Some states dont require the same part to be broken 3 times , some only require it to be once . What state do you live in ??
Old 11-15-2001 | 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Check here for California's Lemon Law:

http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/general/lemon.htm
Old 11-15-2001 | 12:40 PM
Instructor

who's your service advisor at Tustin Acura?

That's weird that they tried to fix the tranny...they usually just replace it (that's what I was told).

Good luck and sorry to hear about another failed transmission on the CL
Old 11-15-2001 | 05:43 PM
- daemonichris -

ok so my service advisor (matt storm) calls me back today. he said that they checked everything up, and my transmission is fine. however, the computer that regulates the shifts is the faulty piece of equipment and will be replaced tomorrow. hopefully after that is replaced my car will be fine again.
Old 11-15-2001 | 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: New tranny went out too!!!

2) tustin acura screwed me
Well, DUH...
Old 11-15-2001 | 06:42 PM
- daemonichris -

haha well yah... DUH if it was actually a transmission problem... but it turns out that it's not... so i guess they're not bastards...
Old 11-15-2001 | 07:41 PM
Old timer

however, the computer that regulates the shifts is the faulty piece of equipment and will be replaced tomorrow
You know I was tempted to post in my other thread about tranny theories that maybe the problem is a bug in whatever controls the tranny and it starts F'ing up shifts which breaks the tranny. But I was afraid that would sound stupid so I never posted that.
Now I'm starting to think that might be the problem.

Every report of a tranny going out that I've read here talks about how the car just suddenly slams into the wrong gears two or three times, as if the computer is having an epileptic seizure.

I bet it's a computer problem that breaks them, not a physical one (well, a physical one caused by the computer mis-shifting and fux0ring everything up.)

Maybe Acura should release a flash upgrade to dealers to fix this bug.

This would make sense since it doesn't seem dependant on driving style at all. It fits the random nature of the problem.
Old 11-15-2001 | 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you are the first one to have a repeat tranny problem. Something does'nt sound right.....
Old 11-16-2001 | 04:07 AM
- daemonichris -

JRock - i couldn't agree with you more. after this incident, i'm pretty sure it's the transmission computer that fucks up the transmission and that's why the trannies need to be replaced.

tel1sps - actually, i think there is another member on this board who is on his third transmission.
Old 11-16-2001 | 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock

You know I was tempted to post in my other thread about tranny theories that maybe the problem is a bug in whatever controls the tranny and it starts F'ing up shifts which breaks the tranny. But I was afraid that would sound stupid so I never posted that.

Now I'm starting to think that might be the problem.

Every report of a tranny going out that I've read here talks about how the car just suddenly slams into the wrong gears two or three times, as if the computer is having an epileptic seizure.

I bet it's a computer problem that breaks them, not a physical one (well, a physical one caused by the computer mis-shifting and fux0ring everything up.)

Maybe Acura should release a flash upgrade to dealers to fix this bug.

This would make sense since it doesn't seem dependant on driving style at all. It fits the random nature of the problem.
The electronics depend on the transmission working correctly to determine when and how to shift.

If the transmission is screwed-up the computer goes nuts.

If the computer (PCM) goes nuts, the transmission will not shift properly.

They are both dependent on each other -- it is not like older cars. The transmission controller has "adaptive logic" (grade logic; torque converter full, partial, and no lock-up mods; and other "advanced" features. Even the torque converter will change lock-up strategies depending on hill grades (I've been watching this happen in 3rd).

So, the transmission and control module BOTH need to be working, or the whole mess starts acting funny...

BTW -- I keep hearing about the 2-3 shift "slip" as one of the early warnings for future tranny replacements. Some dealers are not exactly great at diagnostics, and will swap the incorrect subsystems (just happened to my wife's car -- long story and it wasn’t even a transmission)...
Old 11-17-2001 | 02:26 AM
- daemonichris -

well whatever it is... i hope this is this last thing i have to do in order to make my car run normally again... this shit is really getting ridiculous...
Old 11-17-2001 | 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

well whatever it is... i hope this is this last thing i have to do in order to make my car run normally again... this shit is really getting ridiculous...
Up to this point, every dealer has had a different explanation of what is breaking *or* what they fix in the rebuilt transmissions. Until two or more stories match, all of the stories, thus far, are just NOISE.