New shocks/struts install @ time of Comptech Springs install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 12:29 AM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New shocks/struts install @ time of Comptech Springs install?

At the time of your Comptech Spring install, did you change out your OEM shocks/struts? I am reconcidering springs (since my decision to wait more than a month ago), but want to hear feedback regarding shock/strut replacement. I understand that the OEM factory shocks should not suffer a shorter lifespan with CT springs compared to other, lower springs. Thoughts? Shocks/Struts are expensive, and I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty with $0 deductible if my shocks go out between now (29K miles) and then on my '03 CL. If the shocks might last another 100k, I would kinda like to save the money, maybe going back to school full-time next year-

I'm thinking of having my 30K service ($260 since I don't need tranny flush, had tranny replaced @ 26K), CT springs purchased AND installed by dealer @ $550, some warranty work, and see if they can work something out.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:35 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i put in the Comptechs, i also did my Koni yellows at the same time. It saves you on install as opposed to doing them seperately. I can't tell you about wear on the stock struts with Comptechs, but i will tell you the aftermarket Konis made a huge difference and i would strongly recommend them. Good luck
Old 12-26-2003, 12:39 AM
DC Cruiser

Oh, Merry Christmas for those Christians, and Happy Holidays and New Year to everyone. Comments are appreciated. Thanks!

I decided to have CT springs, as they will give me a bit more weight grace in the rear for backseat passenger's and trunk cargo. I like the look of the H&Rs, but they may not be a good idea with 300lbs+ of rear seat passengers, and at times 150lbs of cargo in the boot-

Also, those with springs, have you noticed any complications with driving in the snow? Traction, Handling, PLOWING?? Thanks-
Old 12-26-2003, 12:40 AM
DC Cruiser

Thanks Red Rider, have you been in a CL w/ CT springs with OEM shocks? Notice a difference in ride quality?
Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Red rider do the Koni adjustables and make sure you get the rear extensions so you dont have to take out the rear deck to adjust the shock.

doing the springs without the Koni causes your car to bottom out and makes it too bouncy. I liked my Koni at softest and sometimes half a turn thats all you need...also some nice rubber and your set.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:00 AM
DC Cruiser

Lou, thanks for your response. I suppose you know people with stock shocks bottoming out with CT springs. Did you notice that you had to be more careful around those "rounded" speed bumps that are rated for 10 mph? In my Land Rover, I loved flying over them at 25 or 30, having front and rear compress at the same time past the bump. In my Acura, I am more careful, but take them at just over 10 and maybe 10+ if I get one set of tires in the gutter, not going over bump-

Obviously, if one lower's their car, they need be more careful how they drive.

Now that I think of it, anyone have any problems scraping against parking curbs in the front with CT springs?
Old 12-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've never scraped anything except the front lip on the OEM kit when pulled up to far on a parking block, and that only scraped the underside of the lip. I've had 300# of pasangers and 200# in the trunk with no problems. The CT springs and sways with OEM shocks, have been on the 03 TL-S since the car was nearly new, and I've got 28k miles on it so far. I do expect the oem shocks to live a shortened life but 80% of my milage is highway so they may be ok for a while.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

The OEM kit will clear most parking blocks, but every now and again, it will roll over the top of one. No real damage as it's got a little give to it and the contact is on the underside that you can't see unless you're on your back on the ground.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally posted by Red Rider
When i put in the Comptechs, i also did my Koni yellows at the same time. It saves you on install as opposed to doing them seperately. I can't tell you about wear on the stock struts with Comptechs, but i will tell you the aftermarket Konis made a huge difference and i would strongly recommend them. Good luck
Same here.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:38 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I didn't change out the shocks when I had my front Comptech springs installed, and except for some roads in NJ (route 40 going to/coming from AC) where the seams in the road are a bit severe there hasn't been a problem. However, on those particular roads, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of 'cushioning' going on when I go over those seems. And, for what its worth, the Comptechs lowered my front end a measurable 1 3/4 inches from the stock set up. I only had the fronts put on to compensate for the reverse rake I was getting from the OEM set-up after my system install. I plan on putting the rear springs on after I decide on which particular set of Koni's to install. Knowing something about DC roads (especially coming down 295) I think you'd be happier in the long run doing the shock/spring install at the same time. Just be sure the dealer doing the work only charges you labor for "either/or" (like PAA) and not charge you labor fees for both shock replacement and spring replacement (like some Acura dealerships). just mho
Old 12-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I kept my stock struts with the Comptech spring install. I figure if they last a few more years, then I'm fine with it.

The Comptech springs mate fine with the stock struts. I'm sure their lifespan is decreased, but probably not by too much. There have only been a very few reports of way premature (under 50K miles) stock strut failure with the Comptech springs.

Yes, you'll save money on the install if you do both at once. I will probably go Koni Yellow when the stock struts fail and have to pay for a separate install then.

The Comptech drop is conservative - you don't have to worry about bottoming out any more then you do normally. I've never had a bottoming out issue either pre or post Comptech spring install.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:03 PM
DC Cruiser

Thanks, seems like there is a mix between those who have, and who haven't changed out their shocks. w/ 29K on my car, how much longer (in theory) should my stock shocks last, and how long you think shocks like Koni Yellows will last?
Old 12-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Banned

if your keeping the car put them in and know they will last as long as the car....why go through the headache afterward.

IMO best setup I had for all around comfort and performance

Comptech springs with Koni yellows at softest or half a twist....lightweight SSR either Comps or GT1 and 235/45 all season tires I cant think of a better setup for best of both worlds.

stock shocks and comptech springs just feel too soft and any wheels bigger than 17" or 45 series sidewall feels too stiff takes away from it pedigree
Old 12-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by greyjhu
Thanks, seems like there is a mix between those who have, and who haven't changed out their shocks. w/ 29K on my car, how much longer (in theory) should my stock shocks last, and how long you think shocks like Koni Yellows will last?
IIRC, the stock struts are supposed to last about 100K miles in the stock setup. With any drop, they'll be working harder then they were destined too and therefore wear more. A very rough GUESS would be that they're good for 50-80% of their lifespan. Seeing that you've already theoretically consumed 30% of their life (maybe even more on Washington, DC streets!) you may only get a couple years more out of your stock struts.

If you can afford the complete setup now, I'd seriously consider going all the way. See if you can negotiate the labor and bring in the part (Koni Yellow) yourself. A few of the vendors here have some good deals. Otherwise, just replace the struts in a few years when they fail. No biggie.
You say that the struts are currently 100% warranted to 100K miles with your coverage. Are you sure this will pertain if you go with the Comptech drop? I'd verify this before you assume they'll still cover a strut's premature failure with an aftermarket spring.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When i did the Comptech Springs i put in Koni Yellows as well. They work great together.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:16 PM
DC Cruiser

Slimey, Acura will warrrant the shocks/struts with the CT springs.

Sounds like it is a good idea to install the shocks/struts upon spring install, but money may be the only thing holding me back, hmm....

I had my last car for over 7 years, and plan on having this car longer. I think some CT springs would be a nice thing to have for the life of the car!!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:16 PM
DC Cruiser

How much did you wall pay for your Koni Yellow shocks?
Old 12-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Where is my super sauce?

IIRC, Koni Yellows go for $550-$600 for a set of 4 from the better priced dealers.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:30 PM
CL Newbie No More

I would certainly recommend changing the shocks at the time of spring installation as the shocks have to be removed in any case. Comptech springs will shorten the life of the stock shocks. A number of people have reported an undesireable bouncy quality to the ride when only the springs are changed.

Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks are a less expensive alternative to the Koni yellows. I had these installed when I had my mods done and am very happy with them. With the Tokicos set at "2", the second softest setting, the handling of the car is vastly improved. The ride is definitely stiffer than stock, but not to an extreme degree. I didn't like the floating feeling of the stock suspension.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Slimey
IIRC, Koni Yellows go for $550-$600 for a set of 4 from the better priced dealers.
That's about what i paid $550