New owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, some questions

I just picked up an 01 CL-p, and I'm loving it since its my first luxury ride.

Just had a few questions that I thought you could help me out with:
1. Both road lamps are not working. Kinda strange that both are out, and I did not see anything about a road lamp fuse in the manual (so im guessing both bulbs died together?).

2. Braking from 50ish produces a back-n-forth vibration but the steering wheel stays smooth. I'm guessing the rear rotors are warped. Should I go for the cheap fix of resurfacing them or should I buy a new set?

3. The owner of the car said that he has never had a problem with it. No warranty work, just oil and brakes. He kept most of his service records (which are from the dealership he bought it from) and gave me the portfolio. I noticed that with one of his oil changes they did the "2nd gear recall" which had the following details: ATF KIT and LUBE PIPE. This is the cheap fix, if I recall correctly. Should I be concerned? The recall was done around 39k miles and the car now has 55k. Original owner said he did not have any problems with the tranny.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site.

1. Its possible. Don't know for certain though without looking at my repair manual if both are on a seperate fuse.

2. Not sure I understand. Your statements are kind of contradictory. A shop will be able to tell you though which brakes are warped after they put a run out tool on the rotors. You can resurface them but they will warp again and much quicker this time. I would just replace them.

3. Thats the standard recall that everyone was supposed to get. Its nothing to worry about. If your trans is going to fail, its going to fail. Having this done doesn't mean he had problems. I had it done on my car and haven't had any transmission problems before or after.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Welcome to the site.

1. Its possible. Don't know for certain though without looking at my repair manual if both are on a seperate fuse.

2. Not sure I understand. Your statements are kind of contradictory. A shop will be able to tell you though which brakes are warped after they put a run out tool on the rotors. You can resurface them but they will warp again and much quicker this time. I would just replace them.

3. Thats the standard recall that everyone was supposed to get. Its nothing to worry about. If your trans is going to fail, its going to fail. Having this done doesn't mean he had problems. I had it done on my car and haven't had any transmission problems before or after.
Thanks for the quick reply!

As for #2, I thought if the car shakes but not the steering wheel during braking, that its the rear rotors that are warped. Is this incorrect?
Also, how much can I expect 2 new oem rear rotors to cost?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get after market slotted rotora rotors. I think they can be had for around $175 a set for the front. If you wheel is shaking you probably warped the front rotors. th rears a hard to warp and dotn do much anyway.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by smokendsm
I just picked up an 01 CL-p, and I'm loving it since its my first luxury ride.

Just had a few questions that I thought you could help me out with:
1. Both road lamps are not working. Kinda strange that both are out, and I did not see anything about a road lamp fuse in the manual (so im guessing both bulbs died together?).

2. Braking from 50ish produces a back-n-forth vibration but the steering wheel stays smooth. I'm guessing the rear rotors are warped. Should I go for the cheap fix of resurfacing them or should I buy a new set?

3. The owner of the car said that he has never had a problem with it. No warranty work, just oil and brakes. He kept most of his service records (which are from the dealership he bought it from) and gave me the portfolio. I noticed that with one of his oil changes they did the "2nd gear recall" which had the following details: ATF KIT and LUBE PIPE. This is the cheap fix, if I recall correctly. Should I be concerned? The recall was done around 39k miles and the car now has 55k. Original owner said he did not have any problems with the tranny.

Thanks for any help!
heeeyyy another type-p owner

I wouldn't worry about the tranny too much, I got the recall done around 80,xxx miles, I'm now at 120,xxx miles and she still shifts like smooth butter.

The roadlamp bulbs can be changed out. Do a search on them if you want hyper white or any other different color.

and with the OEM sized slotted Rotora rotors. I think its another bang for your buck. They work perfectly for what I need and I don't feel any warping or shaking whatsoever. Also invest in some new pads as well.

Other than that. Don't hesitate to ask questions. If you have a question search through older threads first before you create a new one.

-Welcome to AZine!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply!

As for #2, I thought if the car shakes but not the steering wheel during braking, that its the rear rotors that are warped. Is this incorrect?
Also, how much can I expect 2 new oem rear rotors to cost?
Not sure about that. You front brakes do most of the braking work. If they are warped, the car will vibrate when braking.

I recommend getting Rotora slotted rotors instead of stock ones. I had 2 sets of warped stock rotors. Had NO problem when I switched to the Rotoras.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I can't say I disagree with anything said here so I'm just gonna welcome you to A'zine.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 PM
ridin slow'n'low

I replaced the road lamps today! Didn't go for anything fancy, just regular replacement ones from pep boys.

I decided to listen to you guys, and I would like to go for a set of slotted rotora rotors for the front. What pads would you recommend? And what online store would you recommend to buy from?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the road lamps today! Didn't go for anything fancy, just regular replacement ones from pep boys.

I decided to listen to you guys, and I would like to go for a set of slotted rotora rotors for the front. What pads would you recommend? And what online store would you recommend to buy from?
EBC Green Stuff brake pads should be just fine: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...2&brandid=3199

And guys, as far as the rotora slotted rotors go. Does rotora make a slotted and drilled rotor?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Instructor

im pretty sure that they make both slotted and drilled i have driven on both and from what i can tell it doesnt matter if you get both or just one but i think if you get one i would go with slotted but for a suppler check out our vendors in the black market and give josh with
excellerate a pm he is a great guy and is extremely helpful
Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 AM
5th Gear

Are GreenStuffs enough for these cars? They are pretty damned heavy.. I know they weren't enough to stop my 9-5 at around 3500lbs. RedStuffs were much better, though it takes them a little bit longer to warm up. Ceramic pads can cause your rotors to warp more quickly though, depending on your driving habits and such. There are some really good composites that can be had relatively cheap such as Pagid and Satisfied, or more expensive(but better in my experience) are the Hawk HPS, which will be nicer to your rotors and don't require any(relatively speaking) time to warm up before being extremely effective.

Also, drilled rotors look good but typically weaken the rotor a pretty good deal and don't really provide any benefits. Slotted ones will help keep your brakes cool, without compromising the structural integrity of the disc.

Speaking of brakes, where can I find some big brake kits?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by damntheman
Speaking of brakes, where can I find some big brake kits?
PM Excelerate. He'll have prices for you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-big-brake-kits-cl-tl-tsx-333692/

As for the pads, I had Green Stuff. They worked really well. But did wear quicker.