New ECU -- engine idle dips low

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ECU -- engine idle dips low

I bought the car I've been lusting over for four years now -- a silver CL Type S with black leather. I bought the car knowing it had a bad tranns and sure enough at 75K it went. No big deal, Acura took care of it, and i got the whole deal, trans, ECU, etc.

Anyway, I noticed that after the ECU upgrade (this is the only thing that changed engine wise) the car would sometimes "surge" very slightly mind you; but enough to notice when it would dip below ~750-800 RPM as indicated on the TACH. This is normally felt by a "grumble" or a slight vibration from the normally silky smooth demeanor of the engine when sitting at a stoplight after moving for a bit.

Anybody else notice this? I played it off that the ECU needed to "learn" what was going on and my driving style, but at 3500 miles later, i'm still noticing this. I know i know, i should have went back to the dealer, but i just don't have the time to dick around with this and it really hasn't hurt anything (MPGs etc) but it's just kind of annoying.

It doesn't happen all the time, i would say 40% -- mostly after harder driving but by no means WOT or 130 MPH... just after rollin' 90 MPH on the freeway and slowing to a stop or half to three quarter accelerations and the stopping.

Anybody see this with their Acuras?

This is my first post by the way, and i can say thus far, the board is great!

This is also my first Acura and besides a few rattles here and there, this car is everything I imagined it would be!

Thanks!

Nick
'01 CL-S
'03 CBR600RR
'91 GMC S-15 Jimmy (171K on the stock trans! )
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Instructor

You can still take it back to the dealer. Have them replace the ECU if they find it defective. Read the fine print (on the back) of your service receipts. "Except for batteries and mufflers, Acura parts and accessories installed by an Acura dealer are covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first." This falls under "Acura Replacement Parts" ... hope this helps.

Some people aren't aware of this factoid and have spent $$$ on repairs when they could've pocketed the money. I've used this disclosure to my advantage a few times with no problems! I was able to change out a faulty engine seal in my 92 Accord about 9000 miles after a timing belt replacement. Honda paid for everything, parts & labor. Cost to me: $0.00 !! But ... you'll be SOL if you don't have the original receipt documenting the repairs/parts and mileage! Hopefully you haven't driven > 12,000 miles since your repairs. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Roleez
You can still take it back to the dealer. Have them replace the ECU if they find it defective. Read the fine print (on the back) of your service receipts. "Except for batteries and mufflers, Acura parts and accessories installed by an Acura dealer are covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first." This falls under "Acura Replacement Parts" ... hope this helps. But you'll be SOL if you don't have the receipt documenting the repairs/parts and mileage! Good luck.
Huh, guess I never looked at that... I always meant to take it back but I haven't had the time (I had it done only 1.5 months ago). The car has had everything done at the same dealer (incl. oil changes and all the scheduled maint.) which is why I bought it and I still have the paperwork for the trans. I'll call them tomorrow and make an appointment.

Thanks for the info!

Nick
'01 CL-S
'03 CBR600RR
'91 GMC S-15 Jimmy

hmmm, apparently I’m 68 years old??

edit: my b-day was wrong.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
My car had the same problem. It was the primary O2 sensor dying out. It was replaced and the problem was fixed.

Now it's doing it again from time to time. I think my car's running too rich, and the fuel is burning up the O2 sensor. I only get like 23-24 mpg on the highway, compared to like 28-30 mpg of other members, so that's my best guess at the moment. I'm waiting to get my V-AFC II dyno-tuned in January or February to fix the problem. But until then, I don't have any concrete explanation/solution to offer you, other than the fact that in my case, it was the primary O2 sensor.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

yeah, same thing here -- i get 22 avg with a good mix of highway (45 miles round trip to work) and city (typical errands)... 22 is very consistant.

So i should be getting better miliage? I just assumed that since i drive it harder then probably avg. joe that i got less.

On a long trip i did only get 25 all highway though... that was a bit disapointing.

How much did the O2 cost you? How did you diagnose?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, the O2 sensor finally died one day and the MIL came on. I found an AutoZone nearby, got the code scanned, and found out that it was the heater circuit malfunction = toast.

So I picked up a new sensor from Tim at Ray Laks Acura for like 76.xx shipped. Local Acura dealership wanted about 130 or so, and AutoZone wanted 140 for an aftermarket sensor.

Replaced it myself, took about 20 minutes or so, wasn't too bad.