New Carbon-Fiber Engine Cover Design from OE Tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002 | 06:58 AM
'Cooter

New Carbon-Fiber Engine Cover Design from OE Tuning...

i e-mailed OE Tuning regarding the c-f engine covers last week and received the following response...

my e-mail:
Afternoon i was wondering if it was possible to remove the section where it says "OE Tuning" and replace it with the original plate that reads "3.2 VTEC" including the Acura symbol and red lines. performance shops i have been to in the past have stated how difficult it is to use real carbon fiber on the plug cover due to the small spaces such as around the screw areas as well as the center plate with the "OE Tuning" insert. thanks for your help.

response:
Dear Christopher,

We are currently working on a new design thus making it possible for custom logos. This is still in the plans. We will notify you once all details have been final.

Thanks for contacting O.E. Tuning

Customer Service
O.E. Tuning Inc.

me thinks they may use a thinner coat of c-f in order to accomplish this, which is nice, but still i think $600 is too expensive, plus they don't include the battery cover
Old 06-24-2002 | 08:50 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

scooter...you obviously really have no idea about c/f...it's DAMN expensive...that shit is hard to work with, especially when makin complex curves and angles like you need to with our underhood pieces...
I bought c/f bodywork for my motorcycle, and it cost me about 4k....for what...about 4.5 pounds of carbon.....
Old 06-24-2002 | 08:54 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Astroboy
scooter...you obviously really have no idea about c/f...it's DAMN expensive...that shit is hard to work with, especially when makin complex curves and angles like you need to with our underhood pieces...
I bought c/f bodywork for my motorcycle, and it cost me about 4k....for what...about 4.5 pounds of carbon.....

Astro i think scooter understands what i think he is trying to say is that carbon fiber manifold cover would be kinda dumb unless you were going to show the car. $600 dollars for something that's PURELY cosmetic is questionable.
Old 06-24-2002 | 08:55 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by Zapata
Astro i think scooter understands what i think he is trying to say is that carbon fiber manifold cover would be kinda dumb unless you were going to show the car. $600 dollars for something that's PURELY cosmetic is questionable.
its all about the details mang.
Old 06-24-2002 | 09:07 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Zapata

agreed!!!

Rob, wtf man??? y u jumpin down my throat like that???

im not an idiot...i know how DAMN expensive it is...the fact that i saved $300 has put a grin on my face ear to ear

it's NOT practical for someone who doesn't show the car, but if they wanna spend the dough, so b it...im not gonna tell u what a complete waste of $4,000 for a single piece on yer bike b/c it's your money

not to mention this was strickly an imformative thread...how that turned into i knowing nothing about cf is beyond me
Old 06-24-2002 | 09:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

It's a debate over terminology folks. People who spend alot on real carbon fiber don't like it when the term is used loosely. This is no different than seeing an accord badged a type-s. What most shops offer and what Scooter got is cosmetic tape which looks like carbon fiber in all terms, it's carbon faker as we used to call it back in the day. BUT, there is nothing wrong with cosmetic tape applied to look like carbon fiber. It's a nylon tape that has the same pattern but is not the real thing. So, I think this all boils down to terminlogy. Then again this is simply my observation please feel free to chime in if you see it different.

BTW, your Carbon-Fiber Cosmetic enhancements to your engine look good
Old 06-24-2002 | 09:16 AM
'Cooter

if this is about the price differences between real cf and the nylon cf i have, it's very simple...

think of the real cf and nylon cf like leather and letherette...leatherette is like leather, looks like leather, but doesn't quite feel like leather and is less $$ than real leather

nylon cf looks like the real thing, but it's not nearly as thick or glossy, nor does it feel nearly as smooth, but it costs hella less
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:41 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally posted by Scooter
nylon cf looks like the real thing, but it's not nearly as thick or glossy, nor does it feel nearly as smooth, but it costs hella less
see, this is my problem scooter...

it's not fawking c/f...it's patterned nylon tape. and it looks very good in your car...but NOTHING like real carbon fibre...

in your other thread, you said you got a carbon fibre engine cover etc..I got excited, then I click in to see you got a sticker put on your cover it looks good but it sure as fart ain't carbon fibre.
Just say it like it is, and that's cool....but realize it really doesn't look a thing like real carbon, and your analogy using leahter and pleather is just not applicable here, because your tape looks NOTHING like real c/f...This IS NOT an arguement about relative costs, it's about PROPER TERMINOLOGY and stating what things really are, not what you want them to be :P

here are some more pics so you can see what I mean...

Old 06-24-2002 | 11:16 AM
'Cooter

it's not fawking c/f...it's patterned nylon tape. and it looks very good in your car...but NOTHING like real carbon fibre...

in your other thread, you said you got a carbon fibre engine cover etc..I got excited, then I click in to see you got a sticker put on your cover it looks good but it sure as fart ain't carbon fibre.
Just say it like it is, and that's cool....but realize it really doesn't look a thing like real carbon, and your analogy using leahter and pleather is just not applicable here, because your tape looks NOTHING like real c/f...This IS NOT an arguement about relative costs, it's about PROPER TERMINOLOGY and stating what things really are, not what you want them to be :P
fine, then change my thread to "Pattern-nylon carbon fiber look-alike magic tape" if it'll make u happy
Old 06-24-2002 | 11:39 AM
Masshole

fine, then change my thread to "Pattern-nylon carbon fiber look-alike magic tape" if it'll make u happy
Scooter's been awfully edgy lately...maybe it's his coffee.

No...I've been giving Scooter Decaf...maybe he's just an asshole!!!
Old 06-24-2002 | 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn Astro... you drive a carbon-fiber bike... you are so my hero!! Even more now
Old 06-24-2002 | 12:01 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by tmk70

Scooter's been awfully edgy lately...maybe it's his coffee.

No...I've been giving Scooter Decaf...maybe he's just an asshole!!!

not a coffee drinker, so yeah, im an asshole!!

i just think this issue is complete and utter bullsh!t b/c of the way i termed the nylon c-f/patterned tape whatever the fuk u wanna call it...if i was Rob, i'd b happy knowing that i had covers that looked 10 times better at 50 times the price as opposed to thinking im trying to bring him and his cf down to a cheap level just b/c it says/i say it's cf...and since i already mentioned at least twice back in my original thread with pics of my engine/battery cover that it's a different kind of cf, i'm getting fukin sick of dragging this issue any further, esp when it's a second thread!!
Old 06-24-2002 | 06:43 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

if i was Rob, i'd b happy knowing that i had covers that looked 10 times better at 50 times the price as opposed to thinking im trying to bring him and his cf down to a cheap level just b/c it says/i say it's
dude, I dunno what crack pipe you smoke from, but this isn't a personal thing...I certainly don't think you're bringing me down...and I'm not jumping on this because I have carbon stuff....I don't know how you could think I'm arguing this because you're "bringing my cf down to a cheap level"? wtf does that mean?

anyways...your car looks good...$100 is an awesome price...all I am saying is that it would have been more accurate for you to say you got carbon look applique put on top of your engine and battery covers...
Old 06-24-2002 | 06:44 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Awe nice, can we all hug and make up now
Old 06-24-2002 | 08:00 PM
'Cooter

dude, I dunno what crack pipe you smoke from, but this isn't a personal thing...I certainly don't think you're bringing me down...and I'm not jumping on this because I have carbon stuff....I don't know how you could think I'm arguing this because you're "bringing my cf down to a cheap level"? wtf does that mean?

anyways...your car looks good...$100 is an awesome price...all I am saying is that it would have been more accurate for you to say you got carbon look applique put on top of your engine and battery covers...
once again, Rob, what u say pisses the ever-living sh!t out of me...look, this has become personal b/c of the fukin sh!t baseless claims u make...such as "you obviously really have no idea about c/f" when u're the one who doesn't realize that for the past few months, i've done my fair share of research on carbon fiber...and if u think im bs'ing u, ask Adam, Ernie, Mercury, Zapata, etc etc etc...so i think i know enough of what carbon fiber is, and nylon carbon fiber is still carbon fiber...that's what it says on the package it comes in, and that's what im calling it, so deal

pure carbon fiber is thick, rich, glossy, and takes 12 hours after treatment to see how it came out...and since the battery cover's contours are too difficult for the treatment (i.e. the cf would not stick to the right angles), i opted for all 3 pieces in nylon...they worked on just the battery piece for a whole week, and if u look close enough, u can see remnents of the treatments...originally, i was getting the engine and battery cover in pure cf, but the difference in both forms was too much

so the "crack pipe i smoke from" says this has become personal, so how bout u turn it down a notch or two so we can discuss this rationally...that is if u wanna keep dragging this issue through the mud
Old 06-24-2002 | 09:42 PM
Instructor

pure carbon fiber is thick, rich, glossy, and takes 12 hours after treatment to see how it came out...and since the battery cover's contours are too difficult for the treatment (i.e. the cf would not stick to the right angles)
the carbon fiber covers that are being made by OE tuning are not treated stock covers. It is a cover made of Pure CF. A mold was made for each cover, they dont just cover a stock peice with layers of CF.
Old 06-24-2002 | 09:52 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by frank828

the carbon fiber covers that are being made by OE tuning are not treated stock covers. It is a cover made of Pure CF. A mold was made for each cover, they dont just cover a stock peice with layers of CF.
since Outlaw didn't have a mold, they tried to use my pieces...they did NOT make a mold...they applied the pure cf originally on the battery cover, which as i already pointed out, failed miserably