Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New C6 corvette info

check this link!!!

http://www.gminsidenews.com/C6.htm

some of the highlights on the new vette are as follows:

-HID or Xenon headlights (non-popup headlights like current vettes)

-300-500 lbs LIGHTER than Z06

-Camless motor....electronically triggered valves for infinite timing capabilities and more power

-more than 500 hp in Z06 version

-updated interior with radio and A/C controls on an LCD screen

DAMN this is some niccce information, if Chevy puts all this in the final production model, thats incredible, its gonna be a Viper killer!! hopefully it will look good, thats the key....my next car may be one of these bad boys if Chevy is actually taking this direction!! that cam-less motor should be interesting
Old 08-08-2002, 09:38 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

from what i understand, Chevrolet/GM have not said anything about the details of the C6. it does sound promising but it could be pure speculation.

if it does end up like that tho and the price isnt outragous(sp?) on the Z06 then thats gonna be one helluva car.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

according to that article, there are already C6 vettes being tested at the GM secret testing grounds....so i think this is probably info that leaked out or something...
Old 08-08-2002, 12:18 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody else here about some new V8 with dual crankshafts? I read about it a while ago and there was some speculation that there were building it for the C6.

I can't wait for this vette to come out.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, could it be possible that domestics are actually engineering some technology into the car designs!

Although I have to take exception with that camless engine for infinite possibilities.......i hope they are refering to an ivtec type technology that will optimize the valve opening per power demand.....the possibilities aren't infinite in reality.........
Old 08-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,929 Likes on 5,543 Posts
HID headlights on a 2005 model year sports car??? Say it isn't so!!! technology these days - moves so fast!!! hahahaha....... next thing you know, they'll be putting a GPS in it!!!!

--d
Old 08-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Take all that shit with a grain of salt........a 500hp 347cid engine in a production car that has to meet CARB requirements with no gas guzzler tax? I just don't see that happening, would be nice though. One way around it is making the motor a revver, but sacrificing torque at the same time (I don't think to many Vette customers would be happy about that situation).
Old 08-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

ok this is just getting better and better - they are CHANGING THE CHASSIS LENGTH of the car to accommodate a a new AUTO!??!!?!!?!? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard for a "sports car". Also like the part about the classic "duel" taillights... also - this part was interesting:

GM’s keeping hush-hush about the fact that the XLR’s frame is really aluminum until close to production. This way they can throw off the public about any links to the C6.
Throw off the public??? who wrote this??? wtf is that all about?

I would really like to see what kind of "improvements" they can make in the interior, as there is much to be desired. If they can get rid of the classic GM style font used in the interior and replace it with a more neutral, not as getto looking font, influenced by Audi TT will be fine, then hey to me that will have been a monumental leap in their interior design.

A C6 mule reportedly out lapped a Z06 at a test track by a large margin? Well if that's any indication of what's really going to happen - then I think its safe to say the next generation Z06 is going to be one hell of a muther. Good for GM - it would be interesting to see the Z06 dethrone the Viper....

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Production or not... It just sounds cool because it's a Vette.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Beltfed
Take all that shit with a grain of salt........a 500hp 347cid engine in a production car that has to meet CARB requirements with no gas guzzler tax? I just don't see that happening, would be nice though. One way around it is making the motor a revver, but sacrificing torque at the same time (I don't think to many Vette customers would be happy about that situation).
heheh I read your post and I was thinking WTF then I saw what cars you have and I understood...

They can do it - all they have to do is underrate the hp rating by maybe 60-80 hp... they have done it before, hell a lot of cars have underrated HP figures, even Vipers. From all the dyno runs of Vipers I've seen, its pretty clear that they were making more than 450 hp from the factory (I'm talking about 1st gen GTS's)

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata

Although I have to take exception with that camless engine for infinite possibilities.......i hope they are refering to an ivtec type technology that will optimize the valve opening per power demand.....
Actually it could be solenoid operated valves, this has been being worked on for several years now.

It is basically just a solenoid with the actual valve attached to it. This eliminates the cam, pushrods (where applicable), rocker arms, etc. which significantly decrease the parasitic loads on the engine to move the valve train. It also allows for absolute computer control of the lift, duration and valve timing.

This is well beyond the ivtec or even BMWs valvetronic system. The only true internal mechanical parts would be the pistons, rods and crank, nothing robbing power, just adding. But I doubt this is what they are referring to as it would certainly require a 48VDC electrical system.

Edit: Never mind, I just read the article and it is going to a higher voltage system, 42 VDC. So the valve will most likely be solenoid actuated and controlled by the ECU. So the ECU will control the valve opening just like it does firing the plugs or fuel injectors so valve timing control would be infinite.

This will increase power and efficiency greatly!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Banned

its gonna be a hell of a machine....and technologically WELL beyond any BMW, HONDA or any other motor
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by scalbert
Actually it could be solenoid operated valves, this has been being worked on for several years now.
They have been, but I don't think an electronic camless valve engine will be ready for action in 2004........but you never know.

delobbo, all Vipers have a $3k GG tax- Vettes have none. If the Vette is truly to have 500hp it "has" to come with a GG tax, no way around it ( The 03 500hp Viper is going to have a GG tax, but the 04 500hp Vette won't?). Its also fairly clear that GM will not put out a car that requires a GG tax.

I can't take you seriously because you listen to Erasure
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by delobbo
ok this is just getting better and better - they are CHANGING THE CHASSIS LENGTH of the car to accommodate a a new AUTO!??!!?!!?!? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard for a "sports car".
I believe most corvette sales consist of auto trannies.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:39 PM
Banned

the corvette autos are damn solid trannies, ive heard that as far as performance, the auto can beat a manual...of course it all depends on the driver, but how many drivers are ACTUALLY THAT good and professional manual drivers?? not many, on a real world basis, the auto will probably win alot of the time
Old 08-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

It is basically just a solenoid with the actual valve attached to it. This eliminates the cam, pushrods (where applicable), rocker arms, etc. which significantly decrease the parasitic loads on the engine to move the valve train. It also allows for absolute computer control of the lift, duration and valve timing.

This is well beyond the ivtec or even BMWs valvetronic system. The only true internal mechanical parts would be the pistons, rods and crank, nothing robbing power, just adding. But I doubt this is what they are referring to as it would certainly require a 48VDC electrical system.

Edit: Never mind, I just read the article and it is going to a higher voltage system, 42 VDC. So the valve will most likely be solenoid actuated and controlled by the ECU. So the ECU will control the valve opening just like it does firing the plugs or fuel injectors so valve timing control would be infinite.

I'm not debating the validity of the mechanics of such a system, my beef is with the term infinite.....
Old 08-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

They have been, but I don't think an electronic camless valve engine will be ready for action in 2004........but you never know.

delobbo, all Vipers have a $3k GG tax- Vettes have none. If the Vette is truly to have 500hp it "has" to come with a GG tax, no way around it ( The 03 500hp Viper is going to have a GG tax, but the 04 500hp Vette won't?). Its also fairly clear that GM will not put out a car that requires a GG tax.
I also doubt it'll be set for 2004. It's a VERY ambitious target considering the engineering involved.

As for GG tax, supposedly the upcoming Pontiac Monaro..er..GTO will be the first GM vehicle since the Caddy Allante to be slapped with the tax.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Racer

This thing is gonna be BAD ASS!!!

Check out the pic below!!

http://www.corvetteconti.com/Catalog...asp?ProdID=659
Old 08-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I can't take you seriously because you listen to Erasure
And I can't take you seriously because you seem to be fascinated by murder and firearms.

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by IntegraVT

I also doubt it'll be set for 2004. It's a VERY ambitious target considering the engineering involved.

As for GG tax, supposedly the upcoming Pontiac Monaro..er..GTO will be the first GM vehicle since the Caddy Allante to be slapped with the tax.
Wait - the Allante had a GG tax? That's impossible, you see, because Beltfed said that no GM car has ever been produced that has required the GG tax.

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro

What about pneumatic valves ??

Haven't F1 cars been using those for years ???
Old 08-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by delobbo

Wait - the Allante had a GG tax? That's impossible, you see, because Beltfed said that no GM car has ever been produced that has required the GG tax.
Oh, I forgot about the Allante which was discontinued in 93'........that car was a complete failure for GM, wonder how many "regular" folks even remember it. I liked that car, Northstar engine came to late and the top was a bitch to put up and down.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by jimcol711
the corvette autos are damn solid trannies, ive heard that as far as performance, the auto can beat a manual...of course it all depends on the driver, but how many drivers are ACTUALLY THAT good and professional manual drivers?? not many, on a real world basis, the auto will probably win alot of the time
They're supposed to be pretty much even until at least 60mph, the manual doesn't pick up quicker until the top end.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

auto can be quicker than manual if you aren't shifting the manual like you stole it... the fact is, you don't have to shift an auto - it does it automatically !!!!! Imagine that. But I would never get auto on a real sports car - it just defies logic.

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Advanced

In my experience, Rod is pretty much correct about the auto trans vs. manual in the Vette...

The auto vs. manual question in a real sports car is an interesting one. Our Vette is a daily driver and that has a big impact in the decision to go auto.

I hope the picture really is the C6 - it looks cool and it looks outrageous like a Corvette should.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by dallas cls girl
In my experience, Rod is pretty much correct about the auto trans vs. manual in the Vette...

The auto vs. manual question in a real sports car is an interesting one. Our Vette is a daily driver and that has a big impact in the decision to go auto.

I hope the picture really is the C6 - it looks cool and it looks outrageous like a Corvette should.
Everyone has their reasons. To be honest, I think the reason the normal C5 and Supras, RX7, NSX, 300ZX, Camaro, Trans Am, and a myriad of other such cars offer auto is because they want to also have that "luxury" aspect of motoring. Look at any of the "race-oriented" offerings from this same camp of vehicles (some don't offer them) - namely the Z06 and RX7 R1 - both are not offered in auto. To me this says something. Actually I was surprised that the Firehawk was offered with auto.. but anyways - and then there's the matter of the Viper, which never ever will have auto. The high-end Ferraris (not counting 456GTA, 400i/412i, etc), Lamborghinis, Mclaren F1, etc. will never have autos... if your talking about a daily driver there is something to be said about auto.

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Advanced

I agree with your comments about the "luxury" aspect and why auto is offered with many sports cars. Sometimes I wish we had a manual tranny but the driving the Vette always feels like driving a real sports car, even with auto. It's really different from our CL's.

I wish I had learned to drive using a manual transmission. I can drive a stick but not to where I am comfortable with it. Believe it or not, I literally have dreams in which I practice driving a stick, usually in my previous car!! Of course, I'm good at it then!
Old 08-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with you Dallas.

I can't drive a stick very well but only because I have never had the practice. My last car was a 99 Camaro SS with auto. That thing was fast as hell and it was my daily driver. Once in the while, i would get that urge to shift gears and I told myself if I ever buy a true sportscar, I will get a manual. I have been thinking about getting an 02' Vette for a while... how do you like yours?

-Ash
Old 08-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree with your comments about the "luxury" aspect and why auto is offered with many sports cars. Sometimes I wish we had a manual tranny but the driving the Vette always feels like driving a real sports car, even with auto. It's really different from our CL's.

I wish I had learned to drive using a manual transmission. I can drive a stick but not to where I am comfortable with it. Believe it or not, I literally have dreams in which I practice driving a stick, usually in my previous car!! Of course, I'm good at it then!
practice makes perfect.... actually my current car was my first manual-tranny car, but I did know how to drive stick, kind of..... it took me about maybe 3 weeks to get really used to it - probably about 2 months before I was totally comfortable with it. I didn't learn how to "heel-and-toe" until probably over a year of ownership...

rasidel aka delobbo
Old 08-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Advanced

I love the Vette - actually it is my husband's. This is his 4th - he has had '84, '88, '96, and now the 2002. The C5 has a lot of differences from the C4's we had. Just about everything is improved in the 2002 model. More room, more comfort, faster, cool heads up display, great wheels, big tires. Chevy did a lot of work to the frame and structure to firm it up and get rid of much of the rattles and jarring ride we were used to.

Unlike Motor Trend, we like the interior, although I think the CLS interior looks classier.

I don't get to drive it as much as I used to. We used to work near each other and carpool most of the time. Since I got a new job, we don't carpool but I can get him to trade sometimes!!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Advanced

d - That's a beautiful Supra. My previous car was an '87 Turbo Supra. I always wanted the newer model...hopefully Toyota does bring it back????
Old 08-08-2002, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator

d - That's a beautiful Supra. My previous car was an '87 Turbo Supra. I always wanted the newer model...hopefully Toyota does bring it back????
Hey thanks - my dream car in the 80's was a Supra of course. When the Turbo came out in '87, I just about flipped out.. wanted one sooooo bad.

Well - it looks like Toyota is going to bring it back..... but it seems like it might be more in the same class as the Nissan 350Z and Mazda RX8..... I kinda hoped they would have kept it in the same league as C5's and the like..... oh well this is still speculation, we shall have to see.....

You got any pics of your Vette? Send em over!

-d
Old 08-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

oh yeah - got any pics of your Supra too!!!!!! Send em over..

-d
Old 08-09-2002, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking the same thing, but the move to a 42VDC electrical system does allow it to be implemented easier. The technology is nothing outrageous and one of the limiting factors has been that it would have required too much current draw under a 12VDC system.

By stepping up the voltage this current draw is reduced and allows for quicker reaction. They can certainly control it electronically but will it last mechanically?? The solenoids in the fuel injectors certainly last, but the ones to control the valves would be a bit bigger...

But it would certainly be cool if this were implemented.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Advanced

d - I guess I cannot attach a picture anymore...and I don't have a website to post them to. I would be glad to email them if you're interested!