New 03 Accord Coupe will surely kill CL sales further

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 03 Accord Coupe will surely kill CL sales further

Poked around the Honda dealer checking on the 03 ACCORD COUPE, got a coupe brochure, looks good for an Accord.

Rep said that the 4 cyl is out in a late Oct, the 6 cyl auto next, the 6-spd 6-cyl in January. Who? will buy a older style CL when you can get most everything in a better styled, newer engineered Accord Coupe with 240hp, in-dash 6 cd, no history of trans problems, even perf. leather, for much less!

First they killed the Legend Coupe, then the Prelude, and now the CL. I think it will be years before a new Premium Acura coupe will be built. But maybe with Honda NOW admitting to the trans problem they will kill off the CL sooner and bring out a new car sooner to erase the bad memories. What ya'll think?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

i dont think so

if anything a 6 speed TL-S will kill the cl sales

sidemarker
Old 09-21-2002, 03:45 PM
__

gosh this topic is getting OLD. Let's just wait and see.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:39 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

All I know is that the sticker for the V6 EX is 28,300$ as stated by Motorweek about 15 minutes ago.

That is a lot of money for an Accord!!

Why would anyone buy that when a Type S could probably be had for the same price?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

:whocares: So what, i just saw a honda accord ex v6 sedan today at the college park honda. The interior is no way near a cls. The leather looks like shit. If the coupe interior looks anything like the sedan then people who can't afford an acura would love to buy an accord. Especially people coming out of a peice of shit accord now or maybe people moving up from a civic may like it. But, for people who have a cls and you trade down, you must be an idiot. Once the super charger gets installed in my cls then I could care less about a v6 accord coupe or the sales of the car.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:55 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
It's a fucking Honda!!!

Not an Acura, a HONDA!

Old 09-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Some of you Acura guys are so full of SHIT, I can smell it thought my Puter. Why do you have to be some DAMN negative against the Accord?? Aren't the Accord and the CL cousins? Hell, if it were not for the Accord, there would not be a Acura CL. The CL is built off of the Accord platform, yes, the ACCORD PLATFORM. So in other words you are driving an Upscale Accord in Black Tie. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you look in thoughtout the car and the engine you will see HONDA Everywhere!!!! HA HA HA HA HA
Old 09-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Race Director

Re: New 03 Accord Coupe will surely kill CL sales further

Originally posted by 95LegendCoupe
Poked around the Honda dealer checking on the 03 ACCORD COUPE, got a coupe brochure, looks good for an Accord.

Rep said that the 4 cyl is out in a late Oct, the 6 cyl auto next, the 6-spd 6-cyl in January. Who? will buy a older style CL when you can get most everything in a better styled, newer engineered Accord Coupe with 240hp, in-dash 6 cd, no history of trans problems, even perf. leather, for much less!

First they killed the Legend Coupe, then the Prelude, and now the CL. I think it will be years before a new Premium Acura coupe will be built. But maybe with Honda NOW admitting to the trans problem they will kill off the CL sooner and bring out a new car sooner to erase the bad memories. What ya'll think?
Oh, so now Honda is KILLING off the CL by ADMITTING to the "tranny problem"; is that what they are doing?

You know, nothing ever is positive with this board. First, Honda is defruading and cheating it's current customers by not fessing up to the "tranny problem" publically. Privately doing so and fixing it one by one was not enough.

Now that it is out, they are KILLING off the car and blowing the current owner's resale value. All this after a bunch of misfits trying to tell Honda how to run it's business. No wonder they don't listen to anyone on this board.

Sir, that fact of the matter is a car does not kill off the sale of another car. There are enough indepenedent minds out there and enough cars on the road for everyone. These cars from Honda/Acura complement each other. If you know anything about business, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, this wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. You think Honda is making a poor business decision by introducing the 03 Accord? If you were a Honda VP today, would you have slammed the door on that car? I think not....

Obviously you don't understand business and how to stay alive in these terrible times. If you ever expect to drive a decent Acura in the future, you'd better hope the 03 Accord is better than it's made out to be and that Honda can't build enough of them fast enough to satisfy demand.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sidemarker
i dont think so

if anything a 6 speed TL-S will kill the cl sales

sidemarker

WHAT????????? If i wanted a TLS i would've bought one....even if the TLS had a 6MT i wouldn't have bought it.

The argument is ridiculous.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
WHAT????????? If i wanted a TLS i would've bought one....even if the TLS had a 6MT i wouldn't have bought it.

The argument is ridiculous.
im not trying to argue anything. simply making a point that may be a bit more valid then the accord will kill the cl?

now that makes no sense...

sidemarker
Old 09-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Instructor

kensteele doesn't understand my point. CL sales are hurting, have been for 2 years. Putting out a similarly featured HONDA Coupe with a high power engine, 6 speed and 6 cyl options, & extras will, in effect take from CL sales. Honda has NEVER offered that config before, only thru Acura with the Legend, NSX, and now the CL, . That's a big change in my opinion between the 2 lines. I liked that extra prestige the Acuras offered but the GAP between these lines gets closer and closer every model.

I'm very glad Honda is dealing with the trans problem pretty fairly now, hopefully for those involved. All I'm saying is it is not going to help CL sales when a brand new design sportier Accord Coupe comes out. I'm not trying to trash Honda or Acura, just disappointed the CL wasn't kept more separate from what Accord is now offering. I'm glad when any car in the Honda line-up is successful it gives them more options in designing new models.

Not meant to rile folks, just my opnion.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator Alumnus

If the CL is not going to come back in '04, it's certainly NOT going to be because of the '03 Accord. I'm sure the decision by Acura has been made (IF IT'S BEEN MADE) well before this...
Old 09-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by 01blkv6
Some of you Acura guys are so full of SHIT, I can smell it thought my Puter. Why do you have to be some DAMN negative against the Accord?? Aren't the Accord and the CL cousins? Hell, if it were not for the Accord, there would not be a Acura CL. The CL is built off of the Accord platform, yes, the ACCORD PLATFORM. So in other words you are driving an Upscale Accord in Black Tie. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you look in thoughtout the car and the engine you will see HONDA Everywhere!!!! HA HA HA HA HA
First off... I happen to think the Accord is a great car. And the '03 is going to be a great seller for Honda.

My point by saying :

It's a fucking Honda!!!

Not an Acura, a HONDA!
was an attempt to say that the new revamped Accord is not going to kill off the CL. Two different lines, different customer base, etc...

It's like saying if the Maxima got redesigned, and it was to kill off the G35.

Again, the Accord is a kick ass car. But it's not going to spell the demise of the CL.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:15 PM
__

Originally posted by Scrib

Again, the Accord is a kick ass car. But it's not going to spell the demise of the CL.
What it does spell is that the CL will get a revamp and once again be on top. BUT, since sales for the CL are down it probably won't happen. A lesser car would never replace a better car...but the lesser car can improve which would force the better car to improve also. And if the CL was popular, that's what would happen...but since it's not it will prob. die.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Ok, let's ask the question--you don't have any car right now, you have a choice, 03 Accord or 03 CL-S, which would you buy?

I would buy the 03 CL-S, I won't even buy a Honda Accord...never. No matter what it has inside of it, how many horses, or the sticker price. But that's just me.

Ok 95LegendCoupe, I see what you are saying, but similarly when the Civic gots all the extras a few years ago, did it take from the Accord sales? Certainly you are not saying the coupes are subject to cannibalism but the sedans are not?

Whatever is hurting the CL sales, it will continue to hurt it until it gets fixed. But I don't think the new Accord will be the final blow to the CL.

I'm going to try this example, it might not work but here goes. McDonalds is the only fast food in the n'hood. People who like it eat there, they love the Big Macs and whatever. Now Burger King set up next door, they're new. Does BK "eat" into the McDonalds sales? Or do you eat at McD cause you like it and you eat at BK cause you like it? Maybe. But BK ain't gonna to "kill off" McDonalds. Instead of 1 million burgers sold in your n'hood by McD's alone, you sell 1.8 million burgers, that is .9 million by McD and .9 million by BK.

Honestly I can't see how that many people are going to attempt to buy the CLS then they visit their local Honda dealership and change their mind after they see the new Accord coupe and decide to go with that. A few might but they were probably indiscriminate shoppers who are looking for deals anyway (and not the name badge). If you really want an Acura (and that's the type of people who generally buy Acura--somebody who really wants one), you ain't gonna change your mind for a Honda instead. Ok, that's my 2 cents. No argument here.

Ooppps, please forgive my ain'ts and any's and no's.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Advanced

I look at what Nissan and Infiniti are doing with the 350Z and G35 coupe. They are complementary cars, but enough differences to make the G35 coupe a step up from the 350Z. Maybe, a successful Accord coupe helps the CL as long as someone in the Honda marketing department positions the CL as a step up or upgrade from the Accord.

Anyway, I hope Honda chooses this type of strategy. Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Drifting

arent the 03 acccords out already//// one of the teachers at my school as it... im not really likeing the body stlye but mayb itll grow on me.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Instructor

I agree with Dallas girl too. But how long are we gonna have to wait? I don't hear about any new Acura coupe coming up. Looks like at least 2 years or more. It will probably be built off the Accord anyway, like the CL was.

Acura needs to do more now to differentiate from Honda and I'm sure they will but when. I've driven Acuras for 15 years but I would not absolutely snub getting an Accord coupe just becasue it's not an Acura. If the coupe looks good I'll consider it. I always thought the CL looked more like an Accord than a more stylish Acura anyway. My new car choice probably will still be between an 03 CL 6-speed and the Accord Coupe 6 speed. The G35 looks too small and back ugly.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:39 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm really amazed how many people think the new accord coupe is the bomb...have you seen the pics? IMO it looks cheap and top heavy...I think the current accord coupe looks way better. The argument that this car will kill CL sales is kinda weak. Apples and oranges...i'd take my cl over one any day. 28k for an accord?? that's just crazy. there'd have to be hookers in the trunk.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

I have no idea why some Acura owners like to attack Honda.. Aren't Honda and Acura the same? I also have no idea why in N.America we are getting like Lexus/Toyota or Infiniti/Nissan. I lived in Japan before and CL or TL are all Honda. I will be much happier to have a Honda Inspire than having a Acura CL-S, or a Honda NSX than Acura NSX. Some of my Japanese friends even said"What the hell is Acura, isn't that a Honda car? Question for some of you: would you prefer a Nissan Skyline or Infiniti Skyline? Whatever strategy they are using in N.America to seperate it into 2 different names seems very odd to me. If you are saying ITS A FUCKING HONDA... isnt the mark "Honda Motor Co." everywhere inside your car??
Old 09-22-2002, 07:09 AM
2nd Gear

Getting back to the point. No, I dont think the new Accord will hurt the CL sales. Each model attracts different groups of buyers. People who have money may not want to buy a luxry or big power car. A fully loaded Accord V6 will cost a lot of money. When the price is too close to a CL-S, some people will buy the CL-S because it's more luxry and more powerful. Don't forget CL-S gets HID but that's not even an option for the new Accord. The 6-speed Accord doesn't even have LSD like CL-S dose. People who are Accord fans of course or mostly likely will stick with Accord. Isn't the new model of CL or TL coming out next year or so then the class/price gap between the two will be very obviously.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

2004 CL?

Here's my take on this. If there was going to be a new revised CL for 2004, it would have been leaked already. I think they are deciding whether or not to release the 2004 CL as a carry over for 1 more year. The 2005 CL might be intoduced as a different model designation. Make sense? After all, the tooling for the current CL has already been paid for. Why not release it for 1 more year.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:31 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by HikaruAV6
I have no idea why some Acura owners like to attack Honda.. Aren't Honda and Acura the same? I also have no idea why in N.America we are getting like Lexus/Toyota or Infiniti/Nissan. I lived in Japan before and CL or TL are all Honda. I will be much happier to have a Honda Inspire than having a Acura CL-S, or a Honda NSX than Acura NSX. Some of my Japanese friends even said"What the hell is Acura, isn't that a Honda car? Question for some of you: would you prefer a Nissan Skyline or Infiniti Skyline? Whatever strategy they are using in N.America to seperate it into 2 different names seems very odd to me. If you are saying ITS A FUCKING HONDA... isnt the mark "Honda Motor Co." everywhere inside your car??
Why don't you read my reasoning behind my "It's a f'ing Honda" comment before you open your trap again...
Old 09-22-2002, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

I'm willing to bet that Acura will just keep the current CL for another year and try to redesign it in 05. But next year the current CL design will be old already and some things in the Accord will be superior like the NAV. Not good for sales and the CL sales will go even lower. Faced with that, they might just decide to kill it off in 05 instead. Their best bet would be to redesign both the TL and CL for next year. That is the only way the CL's sales can be resurrected. Same old design for another year sure won't help at all. Too many fresh new designs from the competition.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I went to go look at a red 01 CLS ($22,9K and every panel had scratches in the paint), at the local honda dealership and they tried to sell me a 02 accord ex v6 instead. I did test drive a left over silver 2002 EX V6 (auto). I didn't buy the accord 'cause it wan't the color I was looking for and the dealer would only come down to a little *under* invoice (I won't be buying the 01 cls either, but I wanted to see what a $23k 01 cls at a dealership looked like).

I'll be at the Acura dealership this week to test drive the CLS, as the honda accord coupes aren't going to be in for another couple of weeks, and I like the CL better (I might test drive the RSX too as I've been curious how the RSX performs/compares to the cl and accord).

I don't think that the 03 accord will cut into the already low CL sales. The bad ecomony is hurting CL sales. People don't by new sport coupes when they don't have money for basic needs.

The 03 accord is an interesting looking car, *but* the 03 CL is just plain better looking. Although I like the look of the 6th generation accord, I've only seen the 03 sedan in person, and I think it might take awhile for the 03 coupe looks to "grow" on me.

One thing I can say is that the dashboard/interior of the 03 CL is *much* better looking then the 03 accord.

The Accord EX V6 6spd isn't going to be out till January, and even then, production will be limited. ONLY one 6spd V6 accord per dealership ??

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...age%5fid=39034

240 hp and a 6spd is nice, but if they are going to be hard to find (and buy), then what good is that. I can walk into *any* Acura dealership and get a CLS 6spd.

While I'm still debating the 03 Accord EX V6 vs. 03 CLS I'm leaning toward the CLS.

Will the Accord coupe cut into CL sales, I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that it won't. I really like the CLS, and I think that I would be settling for something less w/ the Accord EX V6 (auto or 6spd). Acura is the *premium* division of honda, and lots of people will always pay more for what is perceived to be a better (premium) product.

Now all I have to do is figure out if *I'm* willing to spend the $5000 (+ or -) for the CLS over the Accord EX V6, and if I should get the navi or not

Just another newbies opinion...

John
Old 09-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by HikaruAV6
Don't forget CL-S gets HID but that's not even an option for the new Accord. The 6-speed Accord doesn't even have LSD like CL-S dose. People who are Accord fans of course or mostly likely will stick with Accord.
Good Points. LSD is a great selling point to anyone who is a performance enthusiest.

I've always owned america cars (GM, Ford). I've never thought about the "imports" until recently (when I woke up and started thinking about things like resale value).

The Acura CLS is still a step ahead of the Honda Accord EX V6 in terms of options (HID,LSD), design, and performance.

John
Old 09-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Race Director

Just so we are all clear, killing off the CL means "discontinuing the CL series" and doesn't mean "redesigning the current CL to a newer design in some future year". Right?

Here's your chance to change your story...
Old 09-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Dealer had lots of CLs on the lot

The local dealer has about 1 dozen 03 CLs on the lot, both stick and auto and S. No blue or anthracite anywhere. And about 5 or 6 01 and 02s for resale also.
I can't remember, when did the 6 speed come out, in the spring?
Waiting for the cheapest price and then I may pounce on a 6 spd or buy a used one later this year if the Accord coupe is not to my liking.
Some of the new offerings on the Accord - all windows down or up on the remote or with the key door lock, remote buttons on the key, both windows one touch up and down, auto variated dash lighting, engine manifolds repositioned for quick warm up, better mileage, mp3 player option, nicer steering wheel controls, lower maintenance engine, less frequent oil changes, vtec-i, 200 lbs lighter, 5 inches shorter.