Need help with versus kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003 | 07:56 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with versus kit

Last week, I received the Versus polyurethane body kit from chris3240929. Rather than lug it home from the shipping depot, I dropped it off at the body shop unopened. Today, I dropped off my CL-S at the appointed time and when we opened the box, the manager said that the body kit could not be installed because it was too warped out of shape.

chris3240929 has sold this body kit on a-cl.com with no problems from other buyers whatsoever...so, I trust him enough that the body kit would reach my hands without a hitch.

Now, I'm not accusing anybody of anything. I'm just trying to resolve this issue so that everybody walks away happy...especially me.

The body shop has already begun work on other damage, so I'm wondering if there is any way to install this kit..or is it truly a write-off and I should ask for a refund or exchange?

What should I do?

Here are some pics...notice that the pieces are folded and do not unfold when taken out of the box.

Old 10-06-2003 | 07:58 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Old 10-06-2003 | 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

FIND A NEW BODYSHOP!!!!! Mine was bent to hell in that little ass box and it fits great thanks to the custom brackets the shop made to stiffin the kit up they rivited a 1/2 inch piece of copper tubing inside the front lip to keep it sturdy, otherwise it would have been flapping in the wind, they also made brackets for the rear bumper to keep it flapping around, so if i were you i would find a differant bodyshop if they are telling you they cant do it, that tells me they don't know what they are doing. just my
Old 10-06-2003 | 08:08 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

hahaha...so, my best bet is to bring it to a body shop that would be willing to make it work, eh?
Old 10-06-2003 | 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

wow...didn't know they crammed it into such a small box.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Damn! that looks bad.
Old 10-07-2003 | 03:52 AM
Racer

thats crazy, why didnt they just roll it into a ball?!
Old 10-07-2003 | 04:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by GTKrockeTT
wow...didn't know they crammed it into such a small box.

Is that how they package it? That seems really stupid to me. I'd never get a kit that was packaged like that.
Old 10-07-2003 | 05:10 AM
Homeless

My question is...if you had a problem, why didn't you just ask me first...

I've received NO notification from you whatsoever about this & here you are bad-mouthing me in the open forum. You could atleast have given me some chance at addressing the issue before you posted shit. Not to mention, you've had that kit sitting in the box for about a month haven't you?(I'll be glad to check the fedex log to be certain). You can't fuckin say you aren't bad-mouthing the purchase when you post a thread like this.

Let me also re-interate what Whitoutcomp1 stated...your body shop sucks donkey balls if they can't straighten it out. How do you think Versus sent the kits to me? You don't think they were bent in shipping? You ever try to ship something that long thru FedEx? Well, you can't,,, it has to be bent.

All it needs is a little warmth & a bit of time to straighten out again. It's urethane, it's shape has a memory.

I can only imagine what you'd have posted if you bought directly from Versus...you'd be complaining for days & days since they ship in an even smaller box...approx 48X12X12(I don't know how they did it either). Since I didn't want to jam these kits to hell, I had boxes made, at extra cost & which were obviously bigger, 57X16X16...

The rest of the guys in the initial group buy from Versus had theirs shipped in the smaller box & not one of those guys has spoken a word of ill-fit, etc. Amhad's kit looks fine, there are plenty of pics of his kit just resting on his car with no problems.

I've sold over 10 kits on ebay & 2 websites...not one complaint...but then again...they didn't leave their kits in the box for a month either.
Old 10-07-2003 | 05:15 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by withoutcomp1
FIND A NEW BODYSHOP!!!!! Mine was bent to hell in that little ass box and it fits great thanks to the custom brackets the shop made to stiffin the kit up they rivited a 1/2 inch piece of copper tubing inside the front lip to keep it sturdy, otherwise it would have been flapping in the wind, they also made brackets for the rear bumper to keep it flapping around, so if i were you i would find a differant bodyshop if they are telling you they cant do it, that tells me they don't know what they are doing. just my
Exactly, if the body shop had a clue, there wouldn't be any problem.

I'd like to know just how many kits that place has installed...this is probably the first one they've seen & they haven't a clue what to do with it.
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:13 AM
on bin laden

chris,

no need to get so defensive IMO. you gotta remain professional so future buyers will take you seriously. i have been in the background watching this body kit thing develop for several years. just play it cool, the facts always come out in the end.

take it from a guy who deals with problems all day long.
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:46 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by fbazakos
chris,

no need to get so defensive IMO. you gotta remain professional so future buyers will take you seriously. i have been in the background watching this body kit thing develop for several years. just play it cool, the facts always come out in the end.

take it from a guy who deals with problems all day long.
I'd be more worried if I actually did this for a living. I'm a banker. I just bought the kits so everyone could get a decent price on the Versus group buy. Believe me, shipping these monsters is a royal pain, as they do not fit well in the trunk of my car...I definitley won't be doing it again.

And I certainly wouldn't be as defensive if this was handled responsibly by the buyer. This, IMO, is more a personal attack brought on by poor judgement than anything else.

Afterall, how can anyone say this in all honesty...
Now, I'm not accusing anybody of anything. I'm just trying to resolve this issue so that everybody walks away happy...especially me.

...if they have never even attempted to contact the seller about the assumed problem.

But, fbazakos, I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter and yes, I would like to see more folks post who actually have some knowledge on these types of kits. Afterall, 'withoutcomp1' actually bought one of my kits & his turned out fvckin awesome as can be clearly seen by the multiple pics he posted...
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:14 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

I apologize if I sounded like I was bad-mouthing you. That wasn't my intention. I was just asking everybody for advice on what to do...after all, this is my first body kit purchase...ever.

Since you have been selling this kit, I took it that I received the kit in the same shape as everybody else...so, there should not be a problem with its condition. That's why I left it unopened for the past couple weeks(picked up sept. 25). And, I have no problem with your customer service. It is quite adequate.

That's why I didn't originally contact you. I'm on here asking for advice. I don't want to accuse anybody of anything...that includes the body shop guy. I want to remain as objective as possible. and try to resolve how to install the body kit...refund/exchange being the last resort.

If you read my original post, even though it was only vaguely stated, I would have preferred to install the body kit you sent me since work has already begun on my car.

As I stated before, I posted this for advice on how to resolve the issue. If I thought that I was ripped off, I would have freaked out and called you directly...after all, you did leave me your phone number on my voicemail.

Wouldn't that have been easier to do...pick up the phone...rather than spend a good 1/2 hour to take the pics, drive home, load them up in the computer, download them to imagestation, and make a thread with pics posted?

You jumped to conclusions too quickly and became defensive. I apologize for instigating that. I guess people on here don't know me as well as I thought. I posted this on my local site(the people there are more familiar with me) and it never occured to them that the kit was improperly packaged or anything along those lines. They just told me that it's normal and I can just heat it up and it'll eventually go back to it's original shape. Not once did they tell me to return it for a refund or anything...they just told me how to fix it.

Most of those guys on my local site are kids...most barely out of high school. Far from emotionally mature, some even talk out of their asses...yet they told me the facts straight up and how to deal with the body kit.

Like what fbazakos said about professionalism. You have the opportunity to provide me with a solution. Granted, you do have a right to be defensive...and, I am apologizing for my poorly-composed first post. I hope you don't treat your banking clientele like this when you guys hit a bump.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:03 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well this turned out to be a wasted thread

What you need to do is find a body shop that has experince with urathene(sp?). The fact that the kit can be cramed into a box like that and then be mounted on your car is what makes it so great because if you hit a curb or something it won't crack like fiberglass.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:13 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by spdy0001

How is it a wasted thread if I and other members learn something from it?

Why does every thread(well, not all but most) on this site with a hint of trouble need to be turned into a soap opera?
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:19 AM
Drifting

IMO, satin slayer NEVER bad mouthed anyone. if u can READ the bold it says im not trying to accuse anyone of anything just want to resolve the issue. if he really wanted to bad mouth u he wouldve told u how u were a bad seller and demand his money back but he didnt and remained calm. hes just seeking advice on how to resolve the warping and asking a question.

Old 10-07-2003 | 11:27 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally posted by chris3240929
My question is...if you had a problem, why didn't you just ask me first...

I've received NO notification from you whatsoever about this & here you are bad-mouthing me in the open forum. You could atleast have given me some chance at addressing the issue before you posted shit. Not to mention, you've had that kit sitting in the box for about a month haven't you?(I'll be glad to check the fedex log to be certain). You can't fuckin say you aren't bad-mouthing the purchase when you post a thread like this.

Let me also re-interate what Whitoutcomp1 stated...your body shop sucks donkey balls if they can't straighten it out. How do you think Versus sent the kits to me? You don't think they were bent in shipping? You ever try to ship something that long thru FedEx? Well, you can't,,, it has to be bent.

All it needs is a little warmth & a bit of time to straighten out again. It's urethane, it's shape has a memory.

I can only imagine what you'd have posted if you bought directly from Versus...you'd be complaining for days & days since they ship in an even smaller box...approx 48X12X12(I don't know how they did it either). Since I didn't want to jam these kits to hell, I had boxes made, at extra cost & which were obviously bigger, 57X16X16...

The rest of the guys in the initial group buy from Versus had theirs shipped in the smaller box & not one of those guys has spoken a word of ill-fit, etc. Amhad's kit looks fine, there are plenty of pics of his kit just resting on his car with no problems.

I've sold over 10 kits on ebay & 2 websites...not one complaint...but then again...they didn't leave their kits in the box for a month either.
Im sorry Chris, but your making yourself sound bad. He specifically said he didnt blame you and you come back with this as your response? All i can say is that im glad i didnt buy the kit from you, because I would have posted the same fucking thing. Why isnt it alright for him to ask questions. Most people havent dealt with multiple body kits and dont realize that it would be shipped like that.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:47 AM
I hate the Mets

Chris,
He wasn't bad mouthing you - He knows you didn't make the kit. relax man....All he wants are some suggestions...Maybe he handled it differently the you would of, but that doesn't neccessitate all the four letter words...

Anyways -
Honestly, heating the poly and shaping it along with some braces and guide "rails" (tubing) sounds like a great fix.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:51 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
holy crazy bastard chris man!

Satin said straight up in his post that he trusted you and wasn't blaming you...

You can't blame him for a body shop telling him the kit was bent out of shape and then asking us for help.

You need to take it down a notch.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally posted by spdy0001

What you need to do is find a body shop that has experince with urathene(sp?). The fact that the kit can be cramed into a box like that and then be mounted on your car is what makes it so great because if you hit a curb or something it won't crack like fiberglass.
The correct way to paint polyurethane parts is to use polyurethane paint. Since polyurethane paints are poisonous as hell, most shops won't use them, except for oem manufacturers that use robots and sealed rooms to do the paint job. So most shop will just add flex agent into the normal paint mixture to paint polyurethane parts. As a result, if any part of your painted bodykit hits a curb or got hit by flying rocks, it is true the bodykit won't crack like fiberglass, but the paint WILL.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:56 PM
Homeless

It is very easy for everyone to speculate how things should've been handled.

But, put yourself in my shoes & you would feel the exact same way.

Cause whether someone states there's no harm intented or not, clearly harm was done...just look at the responses from everyone above my initial post(except withoutcomp). Everyone had some negative remark to make. It doesn't matter how I responded, my name was already sullied. Not to mention, the people who read & don't post. Is it fair I get a bad wrap because the buyer does not know what he's getting into buying the kit? I think not. I can easily accept that my post sounds harsh, but no one here thinks it's possible that his post came across wrong? Come on guys...

That being said, the kits were shipped from Versus in every which way, but have all "snapped" back to shape since I received them. In fact, it's very dangerous to put them in the box because they like to pop back out & whack you in the grill. I laid all the pieces out in my garage & have had no trouble. The kits were drop shipped from CA & were in their box for over a week. I cannot attest to leaving them in there longer though. From what I've heard, they can be successfully installed with just the minimum, but some are opting for some additional support(ie:plumbers strapping in the front, etc.).

If he wasn't in freakin Canada, I'd have motored on over & helped him my damn self...

And as far as my 4 letter words go...I always use them...no personal jab intended at anyone. And I will definitely agree with Soopa...I am definitley a crazy bastard.
Old 10-07-2003 | 02:07 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

I admitted that my post may have come across wrong. And, I have apologized to you for it...by posting for all to see.

If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the kit from you. Your customer service wasn't bad and you were upstanding about everything.

Obviously, some things were wrongfully said by both of us. What's done is done. If you can't accept my apology and move on, then that's too bad.
Old 10-07-2003 | 03:17 PM
Homeless

Originally posted by Satin Slayer
I admitted that my post may have come across wrong. And, I have apologized to you for it...by posting for all to see.

If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the kit from you. Your customer service wasn't bad and you were upstanding about everything.

Obviously, some things were wrongfully said by both of us. What's done is done. If you can't accept my apology and move on, then that's too bad.
So, we're both knuckleheads...No sweat.

After you find a decent shop who's got plenty of experience installing these kits, let me know if there are any other issues. If a piece is too bent to install, I may be able to zip another one out to you.
Old 10-07-2003 | 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

aww....kiss and smooches.
Old 10-07-2003 | 06:46 PM
God
GOD Of ACURA-CL.COM

I'm definitly glad to see this thread end like this Lets all hug and make up . And for that guy who said that this thread was a waste he just needs to get a life and get off of this site .
Old 10-07-2003 | 08:11 PM
I hate the Mets

Lets not suck each others dicks just yet
Old 10-07-2003 | 09:06 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what a POS body kit. I've recieved body kits from other companies before and never were any parts folded up and sent out in that manner. Pathetic...
Old 10-07-2003 | 09:10 PM
God
GOD Of ACURA-CL.COM

Insert here -------> :wackit:
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:03 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by civic4982
what a POS body kit. I've recieved body kits from other companies before and never were any parts folded up and sent out in that manner. Pathetic...
How does packaging have anything to do with the quality of the kit? Have you ever even seen & touched one of these kits?

And, no we aren't talking cheap-ass fiberglass Civic kits...this kit weighs nearly 29 lbs...

So, please enlighten me with all your kit experience & explain to us why this kit is a 'POS' as you stated. I'm eagerly awaiting your reply...
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:04 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by God
Insert here -------> :wackit:
No thank you...no nob-noggin for me thanks...

Old 10-08-2003 | 06:05 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by mc222
Lets not suck each others dicks just yet

p.s. where's your paint stick...? lol
Old 10-08-2003 | 08:06 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

I've been in contact with a couple body shops that specialize in show car work. They say it's doable, but they can't tell me how well until they have the kit in their hands.

Wish me luck!!! I want this kit on my car bad!!!
Old 10-08-2003 | 08:22 AM
Homeless

Keep me posted Allen.
Old 10-08-2003 | 08:26 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Will do, Chris.

Like I said...I want this kit on my car bad!!! The last thing I want is to be disappointed by being told it's not possible to do.
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:32 AM
Homeless

Did you see withoutcomp's pic's in the other thread?

That car looked pimp as hell IMO. As long as the car is lowered, those kits look awesome.
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:45 AM
Peace. I'm out.

OK, now that everyone is calm, let me say this, its a polyurethane kit. It can be bent, twisted, and thrown around (before you sand, paint, install). If a bodyshop doesn't know this, thats pathetic. I hope everything comes out good with your visit there.
Old 10-08-2003 | 11:57 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally posted by Satin Slayer
I've been in contact with a couple body shops that specialize in show car work. They say it's doable, but they can't tell me how well until they have the kit in their hands.

Wish me luck!!! I want this kit on my car bad!!!
I'm interested in how your shop installs the kit. Are the poly parts glued, double-side-taped, or riveted onto the bumper and side panels ?
Old 10-08-2003 | 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

well most fronts and rears are just wraped around and screwed on inside each wheel well, the sides are also screwed in the wheel well, and then sometimes rivited in the door or something like that. and the rest would be held on using 3m automotive double sided tape(this shit is strong as hell and will last forever )

BTW anyone having second thoughts about buying the kit from Chris3240929. i bought the kit from him, he recieved money from me via paypal on fri and he shipped it out on sat and i got it today ( wed ) the kit that was in the box is in perfect condition and all the pieces bent back into origional form with minimal effort. Chris thanks for the great service and i would not think twice about purchasing anything from you again.