NEED HELP WITH SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP WITH SPRINGS

Hey people..whats goin on...This question is for people with springs, and who live in big cities (all of you probly). I live in NYC, and would like to buy springs for my CL-S. Now...i have 4 options...buy nothing...buy the comptech springs (1.5inch drop), Eibach Pro kit (about 2.1 front, 1.7 rear) or, Eibach sportline..(2.0 front, 2.3 rear). What do you guys think I should get. I really want the sportline, cause the car looks evenly low, (the ass of the car isnt taller than the front) but am afraid of potholes in such. However, my friend with a 528i, said you can drop a car 3 inches without worries (he did 3.5). So please, your help is much appriciated. On a side note, ive noticed a lot of people here were looking into a 330Ci. You should be glad you got a Cl instead. Heres why. My friend just got his 330 Ci, loaded. total price, 45000. I got my CLS for 30 flat. I just put in an MBQUART sound system with an alpine digital processor, 3 alpine TV's and a whooole slew of other toys, for 7800. Thats still less than my friends 330. And anyone we know would rather be in my car than his. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:35 PM
on bin laden

i just got my eibach pro-kit. i am doing before/after pics. we have some of the worst pot-holes in all of america here in minnesota. i've seen some take up and entire lane. anyways, i'm not too worried about it. i wanted the best performance increase, and the crounched look means more weight on the front, which is where the power is delivered, so more traction. $7800 ... shit, that's a lot of money, i guess youre into that, do a search for some topics of the 3.5 liter CLS they are doing in Florida ...

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 04-02-2001, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I put the Eibach pro-kit on mine and I love it. It didn't affect the ride hardly at all and the handling is significantly better. I live in Austin, Texas which is quite hilly, and yes I do have to be careful when driving up steep driveways, but it's not that bad (I can still clear speedbumps no problem!) It did drop the rear a little more, but it still looks good. It's dropped to where another cl owner will notice that you changed it up, but not so much that it sticks out like a ricer would. Here's a link to some pics...
www.john-michelle.com/cl

------------------
White/Black 2001 CL-S (3rd sold in Austin)
- navigation, moonroof visor,upgraded cupholder, Acura spoiler
- Polarg m-6, tint 20% rear, 35% sides, Eibach springs
- 18" Racing Hart C2000 Evo's w/Pirelli P7000's, V1 hardwired
Old 04-02-2001, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Nirvanaib,

I put the Eibach Pro-Kit on my CL-S and have not regretted it for one second. The drive is so much more FUN.. If you are deciding between the Pro-Kit and the SportLine, go with the Pro-Kit. A buddy of mine has the Sportline ones, and his ride is BOUNCY. The Pro-Kit is firmer and has a more agressive look..

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (2" Drop)
Old 04-02-2001, 05:42 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcdanjw:
I put the Eibach pro-kit on mine and I love it. It didn't affect the ride hardly at all and the handling is significantly better. I live in Austin, Texas which is quite hilly, and yes I do have to be careful when driving up steep driveways, but it's not that bad (I can still clear speedbumps no problem!) It did drop the rear a little more, but it still looks good. It's dropped to where another cl owner will notice that you changed it up, but not so much that it sticks out like a ricer would. Here's a link to some pics...
www.john-michelle.com/cl

</font>
Tried the link, but its dead-dead-dead

------------------
Dr's car's is stealthy -- able to sneak up on unsuspecting victims
Old 04-02-2001, 05:43 PM
ACME sucks!

Well, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have the Comptech springs. I just spent all weekend driving through both downtowns (had a friend visiting from out-of-town and he wanted to see the sites). With the car suspension siffened about 30% and lowered about 1.0-1.5 inches, you really "feel" the road! RR tracks, brick areas, and other imperfections do come alive (hwy driving comfort is about the same as stock)! But, the handling improvements are worth the sacrifice. Also, the car looks 100% better too!

My advice, go with the Comptechs because lowering the car more than 1.5 inches may be too much. If you can find other springs that will lower it 1.5 or less, and evenly all around, go for it.

P.S. - I have no problems clearing speed bumps and most curbs (7-11 curbs are the worst).

Hope this info helps you.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Spoiler

Competch springs/35% tint/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter

My Web Site

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 04-02-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I also thought that I could clear potholes with no problem. But do you guys know if the sportline kit is better than the pro kit? Ill probably stick with the pro kit unless i get convinced otherwise. As far as the 3.5 liter stuff goes, im not into that. First of all, our car can only handle so much power, due to its handicapping of front wheel drive. WE would have rediculous torque steer if we got the car to about 350 horse. I like having a nice interior, thats why i get all the toys. I get them over a long period of time. The only reason i afforded the 7800 dollars right away was, i saved up for a 330. But when I drove the CL, and saw the price difference, i was like, BMW, kiss my ass.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Guess it would help if I put the extension...

www.john-michelle.com/cl.htm

Daylight savings time change made me tired.

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Guess it would help if I put the extension...

www.john-michelle.com/cl.htm

Daylight savings time change made me tired.

</font>
that helps -- looks like those stock tires are suffering from a case of overinflation or possible a case of overinflation with a touch of toe-in fever???

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

As you can tell, I'm trying to sell the stock rims. After the Eibach's were installed the alignment is a litle out in the rear and without a camber kit will continue to be. Hasn't seemed to have worn my new tires too bad. The stock ones weren't on the car for more than a week after the springs, and are evenly worn, just a bad macro camera angle I guess.

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 06:15 PM
Instructor

As you can tell, I'm trying to sell the stock rims. After the Eibach's were installed the alignment is a litle out in the rear and without a camber kit will continue to be. Hasn't seemed to have worn my new tires too bad. The stock ones weren't on the car for more than a week after the springs, and are evenly worn, just a bad macro camera angle I guess.

</font>

Look at picture:
http://www.john-michelle.com/images/CLtiretread3.jpg

It looks like the siping on the "center" tread is worn down. I'm not there, just check that one to see if the rest of THAT tire is like that (in the center) or just that section (flat spot). The siping are the little cuts in the tire, they look worn in the center...

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Nirvanaib

I'm very happy with the Comptech springs. Quiet, no dive or squat, never a problem bottoming out (not even close) and the look is mighty mean. (Do watch those high curbs when parking front in though) The thing to remember is of course the alignment changes. I cannot speak for the other brands but after the install, Jens got my car to spec except for .2 off on the left rear tire. After 5 months I can't see any wear on any of the tires. Rotating the tires more frequently is a good idea until camber kits become necessary.

Good luck

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 04-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Thanks a lot for all your info. Its great to see knowledgable people on the forum. I had one more question that a certain remark has raised. if I get my Eibach pro kit...will i need to get new rims, or have anything else done to the car? (i really have no intention of getting new rims). I assume all i have to do is get alignment done, but the dealer should do this no?
Old 04-02-2001, 11:16 PM
on bin laden

you won't *NEED* new rims.

the dealer wont align your car without charging you either ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nirvanaib:
Thanks a lot for all your info. Its great to see knowledgable people on the forum. I had one more question that a certain remark has raised. if I get my Eibach pro kit...will i need to get new rims, or have anything else done to the car? (i really have no intention of getting new rims). I assume all i have to do is get alignment done, but the dealer should do this no?</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---