Need help, disturbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Ace rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, disturbing noise

During moderate turns, with just one passenger (or more) I'm starting to get these really loud "metal scraping" noise from the outside Rear tire (both sides). I don't get it, when I look back there everything seems fine, but it sounds real bad, as if my car is really low and grinding the ground. This happens 90% time on turns and the sound lasts for about second, but it's loud!

My theory since it's on the outside tire during the car leaning on that tire, something may be wrong with the strut or something, I don't know. Plus it never happens to me when I'm driving alone.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what I should check before I bring it in to the dealer? I have new rims, and I'm afraid the dealer will just say, "you have aftermarket rims, that's the problem, etc..."

I'm getting really worried now...any help would be great...thanks
Old 04-23-2002, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the brake wear indicator, you need new brakes.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:52 PM
Ace rider

I don't think it's that, since I'm never braking during the turns...and it's affected by weight...still stumped...
Old 04-24-2002, 05:19 PM
The Slim Member

Is it possible the noise that you are hearing are from the 18X8 rims that you have. The width of 8" is quiet large for a CL unless you have the right offset. The noise might be the rubbing of the inner part of your tire. Check for uneven wear on your tires. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Instructor

My best friend has the same car as me 2002 cl-s and 3 days after he got it he had that noise, took it in and found that some kind of branch or twig got caught up in the wheel somehow hidden , but he had to have his rotor sanded and all. Moral of the story could be something caught up in thier.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dacat
I don't think it's that, since I'm never braking during the turns...and it's affected by weight...still stumped...
Take it to the dealer and ask.. Though i'm still pretty sure it's the brakes. Same thing was happened on my 98 accord coupe. I wasn't braking, and happened during turns. I called up the dealer and told them the problem, they said "we'll do a brake check" and I said the same thing you did, that I wasn't braking, that couldn't be it.. but it was.. anywho.. curious to see what happens with this.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Ace rider

Interesting, I did a check of the inside rim, no rubbing...

I can never reproduce it alone in the car, only with added weight and while turning, that's what's confusing.

I will take it in to the dealer...maybe it has something to do with the new rims screwing with the VSA, maybe it's over torqued, maybe it's the brakes as you said Craigyg, I do have 38000 miles on it. But I always thought brake indicators didn't "feel" like I hit the ground, but just made a noise...for me, I could feel the noise, like I bottomed out.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

the same thing is happening to me. I cant be the brake indicators since im not breaking. But it doesent make any sense since it also makes the noise when im accelerating (usually a couple of seconds after i shift to secon gear), but it only last for about a second or if I let go of the gas a bit. Does this sound like what your car does? let me know if you find out the cause
Old 05-13-2002, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
You'd be surprised that it might just be the brake indicator. I had this problem on my Accord sedan before. When the pads were worn down, the rotors started to barely scrape on the rotors. And it made the sound only when I turned... that's when your outside wheels and rims get stressed by the weight of the car. When I was going straight, I never heard the sound. To rule out that it's not your rims, put your stock wheels back on and see if it makes the same noise, if it does, then it's most likely brake pads/rotors related.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rondog had a similar problem........It was a POPPED shock absorber.