Need Help, brakes squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help, brakes squeak

I have a '99 3.0 CL, I must have brought in my car to the dealer like 6 times already cause my brakes won't stop squeaking whenever I brake. After I bought the car in August of 1999, about three months later they started squeaking. Acura replaced the brakes and resufaced the rotor. Since then I have brought my car in about 6 times for the same problem. They keep telling me that there's nothing wrong with my brakes and that it's normal (which is bullshit, cause I don't think brakes are supposed to squeak all the time) but everytime I take the car home it keeps on squeaking. I'm getting annoyed with the noise. Any suggestions. I was thinking of high performance brake pads, but won't that ruin my rotors.

HELP!!!

Erik
Old 11-05-2001, 02:07 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

ebednarz
Its one of 2- things, don't panic!!!
This is common natural harmonic that occurs when fine grains of brake dust get between the rotor and the pad while under light braking. This willl create squealing sound.

to fix: Remove the pads from each of the sides and coat the backs of the pads with a light layer of RTV sealant, let dry and reinstall. This usally cures the problem 99% of the time.

Or its the "meat tabs" on the pad itself telling you that your brakes need to be replaced real soon or you risk damaging the rotors. This will make a squeal whever you hit the brakes

Its a built in safeguard they put into the pad.
Get Semimetallic pads for your replacements- they feel better than the soft stock ones.

good luck
Old 11-05-2001, 02:14 PM
Racer

I understand the brake dust bit, but that's what the dealer keeps telling me. But every time they clean my brakes (including brake dust), my brakes still squeal. I'll give it a shot though, what do I have to lose. For your second suggestion, I've checked my brakes numerous times including 2 weeks ago and they look fine, about 80% remaining. It's just annoying listening to that squeal everytime I touch my brakes. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot.

Erik
Old 11-05-2001, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
squealing brakes are a real pain. If they're not worn to the point of replacement (of which yours are not,) it's usually this:

the backs of the pads, and tabs that fit into the caliper assembly need some anti-sieze. You'll need to remove the pads/shims, and clean them with brake cleaner. Clean the area that the pad ears rest in also (on the caliper itself.) Lightly apply some anit-sieze to the pad backing plate, and shims. Don't forge the "ears" that rest in the caliper assembly. This should elliminate you woes.

Jim
Old 11-05-2001, 03:26 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Just cleaning the brakes will not cure the problem. It's all about vibration and resonance. The RTV silicone or antisqueal on the
backs of the pads will dampen these vibrations.

Tell that dealer to replace the "pad shims" and apply antisqueal to the backs of all pads.

Kick some ass over there man, don't let that dealer twist
your DI_ _K all the time @ 60 bones/ hr. Tell um stright up what you want and make them fix it.

Old 11-05-2001, 05:10 PM
Racer

Thanks, I'll make sure I give them hell, AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:17 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by xenon7
ebednarz
Its one of 2- things, don't panic!!!
This is common natural harmonic that occurs when fine grains of brake dust get between the rotor and the pad while under light braking. This willl create squealing sound.

to fix: Remove the pads from each of the sides and coat the backs of the pads with a light layer of RTV sealant, let dry and reinstall. This usally cures the problem 99% of the time.

Or its the "meat tabs" on the pad itself telling you that your brakes need to be replaced real soon or you risk damaging the rotors. This will make a squeal whever you hit the brakes

Its a built in safeguard they put into the pad.
Get Semimetallic pads for your replacements- they feel better than the soft stock ones.

good luck
its a combination of vibration and pad compound, brake dust does not matter, you can coat the backs of the pads with a good high temp paste grease, or silicone, or if you have access to bg products they make a very good product its like black ink that you soak the pads with it all but eliminates the noise
Old 11-06-2001, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
You can also spray the caliper and pad with some water(strong current)..in most cases it's just some brake dust...try that and see if it works..
Ed