Need Advice on Willwood brakes and GReddy EVO exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 02:16 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Willwood brakes and GReddy EVO exhaust

Went in to my local mod shop this afternoon looking to purchase the GReddy EVO catback exhaust. The manager called GReddy and tried to order it. The guy on the other end said that it's for the AV6 and will need modification to fit onto the CL-S. Is this true?

Also, GReddy said that there will be an EVO exhaust specifically designed for the CL-S to be released next month.

So, do you guys think I should wait the month and see what happens, mod the AV6 EVO exhaust, or settle for the Comptech axlebacks?

Really had my heart set on getting an exhaust, kind of disappointed that it didn't go through So, to cheer myself up, I ordered a set of Comptech SS brake lines

The manager of the shop also said that he could custom-fit a set of 4-piston Willwood calipers on my car for $1500 CAD + taxes and labour. That's about $900 USD. Is that a good deal or should I forget about it?
Old 04-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

would be better if you could get the drilled/slotted rotots. the stockers are crappy for dessipating heat.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:14 AM
It's Go-Time.

With the Greddy set-up, I think there will be some modifications needed. I looked into getting the Tanabe cat-back (for AV6)and the guy told me they had to "cut and weld" to make it fit.

IMO, I would go with the subtle look of the Comptechs.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:55 AM
10th Gear

Wildwoods are great....but don't forget--they are going to need to be rebuilt about once a year! Just a bit of a hassle and some extra expense, but something to keep in mind.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Satin how's it goin?
IMO, I'd wait for the Greddy's since they're gonna be specifically designed for the CL. Why have a muffler shop make modifications (and possible screw-ups) if they don't have to? Undoubtedly the labor (sorry, labour) costs would be less too without doing modifications.
I should be getting my HKS axle-backs in a couple of days so the next time we have a meet we'll be able to compare. I'm sure the EVO's will pump up more ponies though.
Good luck and post some pics when you get it done.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:13 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by Cloudrnnr
Wildwoods are great....but don't forget--they are going to need to be rebuilt about once a year! Just a bit of a hassle and some extra expense, but something to keep in mind.
can somebody explain what needs to be rebuiilt yearly?
Old 04-11-2002, 08:33 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the Brembos everyone I've talked to with Brembo(Brake kit) they say they're AWESOME!! now on the pipe. I'd wait on the GReddy. Only thing I've read about GReddy is (this was on a Accord V-6) the pipe was rusting like no tommarrow.have you looked into the Apexi pipe for the CL(they offer a pipe for the 01 and 02 CL type S)
Old 04-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Broke youngster :(

I would wait on the Wilwoods since they are currently testing them on my buddies' car at Valencia Acura. Ill be the second tester this summer, after I start working there possibly. Ill keep ya updated

Nick
Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by fbazakos

can somebody explain what needs to be rebuiilt yearly?
I was told.....could be wrong....but the Wildwoods we use to autocross didn't have dust seals like most passenger car brakes. After a year or so with brake dust and road dirt, the calipers will need to have the pistons and bores done.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:07 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by cmark
Hey Satin how's it goin?
IMO, I'd wait for the Greddy's since they're gonna be specifically designed for the CL. Why have a muffler shop make modifications (and possible screw-ups) if they don't have to? Undoubtedly the labor (sorry, labour) costs would be less too without doing modifications.
I should be getting my HKS axle-backs in a couple of days so the next time we have a meet we'll be able to compare. I'm sure the EVO's will pump up more ponies though.
Good luck and post some pics when you get it done.
You are totally correct! Earlier today, I broke down and ordered the Comptech exhaust. But, after reading your post, it got me thinking. Luckily, the manager didn't place the order yet and I told him I'll wait out the month instead. Phew, dodged the bullet there

Keep us posted on the HKS. I'll look into it or reconsider the CT exhaust if Greddy is lying about that 1 month.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:11 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by nvpscore
I would wait on the Wilwoods since they are currently testing them on my buddies' car at Valencia Acura. Ill be the second tester this summer, after I start working there possibly. Ill keep ya updated

Nick
Cool, cool, cool...I love this site! What other site has members from all over keeping a fellow member's best interests in mind?
Old 04-13-2002, 03:01 AM
Pro

Hey Stain Slayer,

I might be able to get a good deal on the HKS stuff. Let me know and I can find out.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:15 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

If you were dissapoointed with not being able to get the exhaust wait until you put the brake lines on--talk about REAL dissappointment!!

You won't notice any difference at all--at least I didn't.

My advice--return them as they are a worthless mod.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:18 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by JZ
If you were dissapoointed with not being able to get the exhaust wait until you put the brake lines on--talk about REAL dissappointment!!

You won't notice any difference at all--at least I didn't.

My advice--return them as they are a worthless mod.
So why is everybody with ss brake lines saying it improves braking?
Old 04-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro

It supposedly improves brake control and feel. But it works best when you mash the brakes frequently as the SS Brakelines dont expand and you get more instantaneous response in braking.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Pro

BTW. I emailed Valencia like 3 months ago. They did say there were working on something. However, Wilwoods do require re-bulits every year and they dust alot accordign to RSX/ITR owners. But for costs involved, it is quite fairly priced.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:45 AM
Advanced

i was looking around also for a nice brake upgrade, i got a quote for 910(cnd) front and 910 rear, with aem drilled/slotted rotors, that a good price?
Old 04-14-2002, 12:49 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Mods

My 03 6-speed is coming on saturday. I want to put some mods on it, but i don't know what will fit. I already found out that the 02 AEM CAI doesn't fit on the 03 6-speed b/c it's missing the VSA. I've seen the HKS Superdragger that everyone has and i really like it. Is that the axle-back from the AV6? I may want to get the Greddy one, does anyone have anyclue how much it will cost? Comments on other mods. My AIM is Titand19. Feel free to Im me, i need some serious advice.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:38 PM
go like hell

to titand 19: my advice to you on your 03 is just wait 3-4 month and enjoy the car stock( I know 3-4 months seem like forever) but the aftermarket companies are usually "1 step behind" the automakers(cause they gotta make new molds and design for the new models and the new model year) I'd say around 4th of July or August go down to your local "Ricer Shop"(which I happen to work at one ) and keep bugging them(cause some them don't like to stock CL/TL parts cause they don't move like Integra/RSX or civic parts. now about the GReddy pipe i'd guess without tax or installation somewhere between 600-900 bucks. now I'd don't wanna sound mean but I read a report of some guy put a GReddy pipe on his V-6 Accord and it was RUSTING like crazy(it was only a year or 2 old ) I looked up about your HKS that's a Axleback system runs ya about 500 bucks without tax or installation(but of course not available yet for the 03 ). 2 other pipes I'd personally look at(that I like) is Comptech Axleback(which is offered in a 03 model as of right now )(it will run ya about 600 bucks without tax and installation)
another pipe(i personally like the looks of it) it's call Tannabe Hyper Medilion(650 bucks without tax or installation)(but you'll have to wait for the it to "catch up" cause it's only offered in 01 and 02 )
other ideas for Mods: you can't go wrong with 18s and Toyos.(Personally for my own use of car i can't use Springs and 18s cause i'll bend rims like nothing) so i either can run little rims(which look retarded) and springs or big rims and stock springs. cause I live out in the country and between bumps,potholes, and RR tracks you can't do 18s(or bigger) and springs.
another mod idea: Window tinting(this will not only protect your car's leather from UV rays(which is hard on leather)plus it keeps your car a little cooler inside during the summer, and most of all it looks cool(atleast i think so). (both of these mods can be done to 03s) just some ideas have fun with the car man:P
Old 04-14-2002, 02:22 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Exhaust

Water-S

I really like the HKS exhaust. The 02 won't fit the 03? ALso, which car is that from? Optauto.com doesn't have it, but people told me to get the accord V6 one. Also, isn't it just a bolt on? Someone said that i could use the 02 AEM CAI if i use some stock piece or something. Suggestions.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:59 PM
go like hell

To titand19:
where I found the autocarparts.com(good guys there).they got your HKS in ready to ship. now about the 02 vs 03 I don't know cause the 03 is so new I haven't crawled under it (well for matter of fact other than see them in magazines I haven't seen one on the road)(still a AWESOME car from looks and numbers) I used to work at honda for 2 summers(I go to college that's why I quit) (I worked on line 2 which is v-6 line which makes v-6 accord,CL/TL(and type S),MDX,RL,Odyessee motors and some overseas motors. anyhow the point I'm making is most parts(not all) transfer from the V-6 accord to your CL type S(that i'm jelious of:P ) now as far as Cold air intakes and other parts a lot is trial and error. Sometimes V-6 accord parts work and other times it doesn't but usually Comptech stays about even(far as keeping up speed) when Honda/Acura changes models Comptech within a few weeks(at the most a month) usually has products hitting the shelves.If you want a nice Exhast system my suggestion is. Go Comptech Headers(which run about 1100-1200 bucks without tax or installation), put on your HKS axleback system(you'll boost your HP about(guessing) 30-40 HP. you'll easilly be in the 325 HP range.(then if you got some kid in area with a Camero Z-28 ask him if you can run him . only thing about the Airbox is I've know guys (when they get brand new cars (less than a month old) and they're like you they're one of the first to get the "next years model" and they can't wait for the aftermarket people to bring out a Cold Air Induction or Short Ram system so they rig some thing up with (Honest to goodness) PCP pipe(like normally you use for plumbing or a potato gun ) not only it looks crappy on a 30+ thousand dollar car plus I don't care what they say he isn't getting the power like a AEM or Ingen system. (it kinda of reminds me of a guy with a stock Si claimed he toasted a CL type S I said if you killed a CL type S with that Si then you need to either put it on the NHRA import series or NIRA circuit ) you throw that exhast system on there with 18s and Toyos and you'll have power and handling:P