Need Advice on Apexi Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM
gangstaCL03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Apexi Coilovers

Wsup Acurazine,

I've recently purchased a set of used Apexi WS Damper Coilovers off another member on this forum. I came across a couple of concerns about them however. I would like these concerns addressed before I install them.

These are the Coilovers

Broken Bump Stop Rubber

Bent Damper, Also not valving properly

So...
The two rear coilovers are in good working order. No problem.
The two fronts, however have problems.

One of the front dampers is bent, as seen in the picture, and does not valve in and out properly like the other three.

The other front damper valves properly, but the lower spring seat, and lock nut do not spin freely. I've tried soaking it with WD40, but it still does not budge.

My concerns:
The rubber bump stop seen in the picture is torn. I do not think this matters much however since it is still able to "bump" and "stop" on those rare occasions. Does any one disagree?

What is the proper way of adjusting the height on these coilovers?

Does anyone have the rough measurements/lengths needed to attain one finger gap all around? ex) 6" from bottom of damper

When the coils are placed on the damper, the coils that have little distance between them are on top, and the coils with farther distances between them are on the bottom, Correct?

If I were to get these revalved, does anyone know how much this will cost me for all four? and how much for just the front?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
gangstaCL03

Scratch the concern about the lower spring seat and lock nut being seized. Finally got them to spin.

I just need to know if it would be aight to straighten out the bent front damper, resuse the torn bump stop, and install it even tho the damper seems blown.

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
gangstaCL03

Also, what are the effects of a blown or partially blown damper?

I know that a blown damper would be ineffective at controlling the bouncing of the coil. In theory, the side with the blown damper would bounce excessively.

However, in a real life situation, would this excessive bounce be felt? If it is felt, would it be FELT? or felt?

I'm wondering if I should just install these tmrw without getting them revalved, (I'm impatient). Also, if getting them revalved is too expensive, I'm wondering if it is worth it to put these on?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
gangstaCL03

I am questioning whether one of the front dampers is in fact blown... It isn't leaking, unless the previous owner cleaned them up really well..

There is no visible leaks or oil anywhere, however, when I push the damper down it does not come up on its own.. It may be on its way out?? It pushes in fairly easily compared to the other three.

I'm about to say fck it and install them tmrw. Thanks guys
Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I would have never bought them honestly, did he show those pics when they were for sale or no?

Imo dont install them.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
gangstaCL03

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
I would have never bought them honestly, did he show those pics when they were for sale or no?

Imo dont install them.
Nah, they were non detailed pics. I drove 1 hour to meet him in Central Jersey at a Burger King. He said everything was ready and set for install.

He left out the fact that it was missing spacers and had a torn bump stop. I think he also failed to mention that he has been in an accident perhaps. This is probably what caused the bend in the damper piston rod.

Ima straighten it out, and hope for the best.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstaTL03
There is no visible leaks or oil anywhere, however, when I push the damper down it does not come up on its own.. It may be on its way out?? It pushes in fairly easily compared to the other three.
sounds like the shock is bad. dont waste your time installing because you are gonna end up pulling it out again. it should've came back out on its own.
see if u can send it to Apexi for repair.

one of my friends had them on his Accord and said that was the best investment he had made in his car.
Personally Teins SS Coilovers were the best ones i've ever experienced
Old 08-31-2009, 07:41 AM
gangstaCL03

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
sounds like the shock is bad. dont waste your time installing because you are gonna end up pulling it out again. it should've came back out on its own.
see if u can send it to Apexi for repair.

one of my friends had them on his Accord and said that was the best investment he had made in his car.
Personally Teins SS Coilovers were the best ones i've ever experienced

Yea, I know that the shock is not working properly. I'm still curious tho as to how it would affect driveability..

Aren't the coilover springs stiff enough even with a broken damper to still make an improvement from the stock springs and struts?

Ima call Apexi as soon as they open.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
give it a try

fronts are very easy to change

Last edited by nspec_ya4; 08-31-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
gangstaCL03

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
give it a try

fronts are very easy to change
Your post was the excuse that I needed for me to go ahead with the install. Thanks man, Ha.

Called Apexi. They only rebuild dampers in pairs. For the Apexi WS model the labor is approximately $200-$250 for the rebuild.

I've also asked them about my concern with the blown/partially blown front damper. They said that if only the gas leaked out, I might be okay with intermittent problems if and when the damper foams. If the gas and the oil both leaked out, they said that I would have to go with the rebuild.

Either way, the guy couldn't give me a straight answer as to the necessity of a rebuild. Felt as if he was trying to sell me into doing the rebuild.

In fact, I went for a test drive after installing the coilovers and did not feel any excessive bouncing at all. Ride handles MUCH better now, and looks a whole lot better too.

Well worth the install and switch from factory strut and coils with 90,000 miles.

1 and a half finger gap in the front, and 2 finger gap in the rears.

Install was fairly easy. Made the mistake of snapping one of two rear sway bar hold down bolts (12mm) on both sides. Need to drill out the broken pieces of the bolt tmrw so that I can bolt in new bolts. Guess I should take it easy on turns until then.

I also noticed that the clutch feels as if it grabs a lot faster now, now that the suspension is much tighter. Reduction in body roll, and improvement in traction.

Will post pics tmrw with details.

Last edited by gangstaTL03; 08-31-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
the one thats bent is garbage. i would have never bought them.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
gangstaCL03

Originally Posted by Rajca
the one thats bent is garbage. i would have never bought them.
I went to my shop and heated the steel piston rod and bent it back as straight as possible. And I don't really feel any excessive bouncing, maybe cuz i don't have a reference feel to go by when their new and fresh.

But they are a huge improvement compared to the stock setup. Considering i only spent $150 for these I think it was well worth it.

Also, if I decide to have them rebuilt, the labor is $200, which also ain't too bad.

Just came back from another test drive and i love these coilovers. I've had the Tein SSP EDFC setup on my black CL. Although the EDFC was a great luxury, I think that these APexi WS Coilovers have a more aggressive, yet still buttery feel. The feel stiffer, 10.0kg/mm fronts, and 4.somethingkg/mm rears.

Does anyone know the spring rates for the Tein SSP's?

Here's some night shots I just took.

Front View, Drop

Rear View, Comparison with '05 G35 Stock

Front View, Comparison