nav conversion is done but i need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nav conversion is done but i need help

ok everything is done whew now 4 days, 2 fuses, and 1 large migraine later ive run into a problem well it works fine however im seeing vertical lines running across my screen and from the pics ive seen of othersscreens i know mine isnt right im hoping i didnt wire the avc inside wrong but i got very good colors so i dont think thats it also my 4pdt switch when jiggled makes the screen flicker im assuming this is the problem but maybe someone else has feedback for me???
Old 07-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
you will notice slight verticle lines going down the screen. i think all of them do that (mine does but very slightly).

if you jiggle the switch and it get's worse, you might want to re-solder the connections on it. i know it's kinda tough because the thing is small, but you gotta check them.

and i too got a MASSIVE migrane from solding the wires on the switch because you have to get so close to the thing because of it's small size

i'll be doing another conversion in a couple weeks on HellaWhats car
Old 07-13-2002, 02:53 AM
Pro

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
you will notice slight verticle lines going down the screen. i think all of them do that (mine does but very slightly).

if you jiggle the switch and it get's worse, you might want to re-solder the connections on it. i know it's kinda tough because the thing is small, but you gotta check them.

and i too got a MASSIVE migrane from solding the wires on the switch because you have to get so close to the thing because of it's small size

i'll be doing another conversion in a couple weeks on HellaWhats car
gracias thats exactly whathappens i guess i need to re solder them :angry: incidentally do you have the instructions on how to use the 4pdt relay instead of the switch???i was reading on the tl forum a few cats did it but they didnt list their instructions on how to do it or a list of materials needed ... btw your instructions kicked ass buddy everything came out smooth except for a brief part where i sweated my ass off worrying cause i blew a fuse (actually two) and nothing worked when i was done doing the whole install i swore i blew my navi up lol but after seeing that even my radio didnt work and my transmission wouldnt ease into reverse i figured out what happened ( i suggest anyone doing the install remove both fuse panels and remove both fuses associated with the navi i blew both of em) you da man jeff and thank you this is my favorite mod i will post pics up as soon as everything is installed all pretty like and audio has been added...
Old 07-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

i tried to make my instructions into a detailed step-by-step thing so that people who don't know anything about electronics 'could' still do this.

but you just reminded me of something that i didn't put on the instructions.... #1: unplug the battery

but i don't have instructions for the relay. the reason i like the switch is so that you can just 'pause' your DVD or PS2, flip the switch, type in an address, and switch back. then you can listen to the navs instructions, and your buddies can still play their games (basically)

i like to be in control of the screens switch rather than auto.

sure, if i had a whole trunk set-up with DVD's and game systems, i'd want it to 'auto turn on', but i'm not that into the whole thing

let me ask you too, were the instuctions pretty easy for you to follow step-by-step?
Old 07-13-2002, 11:27 AM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Generationz, so you are looking for instructions for the relay? If so, I can help.

AdamR
Old 07-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Pro

i tried to make my instructions into a detailed step-by-step thing so that people who don't know anything about electronics 'could' still do this.

but you just reminded me of something that i didn't put on the instructions.... #1: unplug the battery

but i don't have instructions for the relay. the reason i like the switch is so that you can just 'pause' your DVD or PS2, flip the switch, type in an address, and switch back. then you can listen to the navs instructions, and your buddies can still play their games (basically)

i like to be in control of the screens switch rather than auto.

sure, if i had a whole trunk set-up with DVD's and game systems, i'd want it to 'auto turn on', but i'm not that into the whole thing

let me ask you too, were the instuctions pretty easy for you to follow step-by-step?
yeah the instructions were easy and keep in mind ive never soldered anything in my life however i have rewired shit b4 and ive installed my own radio and shit in my car but this was completely different but your instructions are great anyone that plans on doing theirconversion i suggest goin with typesdragoons instructions they were excellent and very helpful when i geta chance im gonna update the link in my sig i also gotta thank henry who hooked meup with the avc at a reasonable price too i see some people sellin em at 400-500 unmodded shit even moddedaint worth it the hardest part of the whole install was the actual splicing onto the navi wires in the trunk the avc and the soldering was fairly easy thanks again dude
Old 07-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Pro

Originally posted by digitalgm
Generationz, so you are looking for instructions for the relay? If so, I can help.

AdamR
yeah im interested i would like an alternative to the toggle which i still havent found a place for (dont want it showing on my dash) but im a little fuzzy though what is the difference other then using your own switch as opposed to the toggle i didnt understand typesdragooons post about not being able to control the navi ????
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 AM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Generationz : we might be talking about different switches. I do still have a switch on mine but it is a very nice one conntected to a 4pdt relay. Is this the switch you are talking about?

AdamR

Originally posted by Generationz

yeah im interested i would like an alternative to the toggle which i still havent found a place for (dont want it showing on my dash) but im a little fuzzy though what is the difference other then using your own switch as opposed to the toggle i didnt understand typesdragooons post about not being able to control the navi ????
Old 07-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by digitalgm
Generationz : we might be talking about different switches. I do still have a switch on mine but it is a very nice one conntected to a 4pdt relay. Is this the switch you are talking about?

AdamR

i think so look at typesdragoons earlierpost about therelay this is whaat idont understand but yeah im thinking arelay eliminates the needfora toggle switch however i may be wrong im not sure can you postpicsofyourswitch rightnowi have a 4pdt toggle switch that allows me toswitch back and forth from navi to dvd very easy all i do is flick upordown does the relay allow this???
Old 07-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by Generationz
i think so look at typesdragoons earlierpost about therelay this is whaat idont understand but yeah im thinking arelay eliminates the needfora toggle switch however i may be wrong im not sure can you postpicsofyourswitch rightnowi have a 4pdt toggle switch that allows me toswitch back and forth from navi to dvd very easy all i do is flick upordown does the relay allow this???
the relay does not allow toggle.

the relay senses an "input" and flips a built in switch automatically. which means, that if your buddy is watching a movie and you want to type something in your nav, you cannot switch to nav because the relay already senses an input and will stay there until it's shut off.

but with the toggle switch, you could just pause the movie or game, switch to nav, type something in, and switch back. then you can still listen to the audio portion from the nav while watching a video game. or , depending on your audio setup, you could listen/watch the game, and listen to the nav at the same time.

Old 07-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I beg to differ.... The 4pdt relay can be used with a toggle switch thats how I have mine set up.

The best place for the switch is as follows... Imagine where your sunroof switch is. Go directly down and there is a cured out portion on the dash so you can see the emergency brake while your sitting down. The switch will mount on the bottom portion of that curve (pointed towards the floor. It is easy to mount as that total portion of the dash comes off.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by bl^5
I beg to differ.... The 4pdt relay can be used with a toggle switch thats how I have mine set up.

The best place for the switch is as follows... Imagine where your sunroof switch is. Go directly down and there is a cured out portion on the dash so you can see the emergency brake while your sitting down. The switch will mount on the bottom portion of that curve (pointed towards the floor. It is easy to mount as that total portion of the dash comes off.
what is the point of having the relay then?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Keep in mind that I've been gone 5 weeks in China, with no access to this board when I ask this question...

Any AVC-RGB1s available again or any clones available?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The need is this...

Cancels the need for running so many wires up front to a switch. You only have to run one wire up front instead of 4.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by bl^5
Cancels the need for running so many wires up front to a switch. You only have to run one wire up front instead of 4.
ah, gotcha

just after i did my instructions, the AVC-RGB1 got discontinued so i never really cared anymore about doing anything else beyond what was already done.

there are a few straglers now and then that find one. i will be doing my last nav conversion for somebody in a few weeks here in the bay with one of the last converters around.

Old 07-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Pro

well im not worried about less cables i was interested in switching out tthe toggle for something else but you know what ??? it no longer bothers me plus id rather the convenience of flipping back and forth from navi to dvd this is priceless cause i use my ac screen a lot!!!!!(i live in miami) anyhow thanks guys but ill keep my toggle for now i found a good spot for it and later this week ill be done putting in my audio and we shaall be good to go

one
Old 07-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Banned

Re: Re: The need is this...

ah, gotcha

just after i did my instructions, the AVC-RGB1 got discontinued so i never really cared anymore about doing anything else beyond what was already done.

there are a few straglers now and then that find one. i will be doing my last nav conversion for somebody in a few weeks here in the bay with one of the last converters around.

fuck you!!! I will find one!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Hehe... I almost feel the same way, but am upset with Pioneer for discontinuing the RGB1. Does anyone have detailed information on the stock navi system (i.e. pinout, clocking)? I believe if I sit down and concentrate on it, I can design something that will work like the RGB1. However, until I get more info, I can't do anything. I think TypeSDragoon's detailed instructions have some of the info I need.

My dream was to make something more plug and play than what the RGB1 offers, plus a non-contact switch that can be concealed under any accessible panels.

Comments?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:32 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by moomaster_99

if you find one, i will install it for you

Old 07-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

if you find one, i will install it for you

Hey TypeS, do you still have the manual for the AVC-RGB1? Would you be willing to scan it for me and email it? I'm working hard on trying to get a replacement unit, but I could use some more info, and that manual may help.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by dmatsumo

Comments?
At least here's a start..

the RGB1 output is RGBS which is four wires.. one for Red, Green, Blue, and composite V+H Sync..

NTSC regular video from video source doesn't have the right scan rate for the Navi monitor..

I'm looking into a couple things right now, and alternative to the RGB1 which I think will work.. but too bad I don't have Navi otherwise I would have tried it already..
The cost would be less than the RGB1 way too..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Sweet! Let me know how your search goes. I'm still struggling on my end. I've searched everywhere and couldn't find anything that was like the RGB1 and remotely affordable.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by Edub-TL

At least here's a start..

the RGB1 output is RGBS which is four wires.. one for Red, Green, Blue, and composite V+H Sync..

NTSC regular video from video source doesn't have the right scan rate for the Navi monitor..

I'm looking into a couple things right now, and alternative to the RGB1 which I think will work.. but too bad I don't have Navi otherwise I would have tried it already..
The cost would be less than the RGB1 way too..
several other people have been trying to make their own RGB1. check the audo/video section on the TL board and search

Old 07-17-2002, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

several other people have been trying to make their own RGB1. check the audo/video section on the TL board and search

Ok, I'm ready to get ridiculed here... what is the TL forum URL?
Old 07-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

Originally posted by dmatsumo

Ok, I'm ready to get ridiculed here... what is the TL forum URL?
http://www.acura-tl.com/

!!!!!

Old 07-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The need is this...

http://www.acura-tl.com/

!!!!!

ack... I actually went there, but then figured it wasn't it because I saw some banner saying that acura-tl.com is the best place to buy parts, so I thought it was just a store.