My turn for dealer rumors......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:03 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My turn for dealer rumors......

OK, here's what I got from my friend at the dealer today.

On the way is a new SUV smaller than the MDX and possibly one bigger to put three SUV's in the lineup.

A roadster that is not a convertible.

The RL will debut with the electronic motor assist on a V6.

TL and TSX due out around March. Base TL to have Type S motor and the type S will have stronger motor.

More sports packages to be offered on the cars.

CL will live, but is last to be redesigned.

Enjoy.

We should have a contest to see who is the closest to what actually happens.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh. Acura schmacura.

I'll be in on Saturday getting my new tires put on and some routine maintenance done. You gonna be around at all?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: My turn for dealer rumors......

Originally posted by JZ
OK, here's what I got from my friend at the dealer today.

On the way is a new SUV smaller than the MDX and possibly one bigger to put three SUV's in the lineup.

A roadster that is not a convertible.

The RL will debut with the electronic motor assist on a V6.

TL and TSX due out around March. Base TL to have Type S motor and the type S will have stronger motor.

More sports packages to be offered on the cars.

CL will live, but is last to be redesigned.

Enjoy.

We should have a contest to see who is the closest to what actually happens.
A roadster has got to be a convertible. It has to be able to put the roof down. What do you mean by that?

The news about the RL make sense. I do believe them.

I also do believe the news about a smaller MDX, but I dont believe Acura would make anything bigger than the MDX. At least not any time soon.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Re: My turn for dealer rumors......

Originally posted by gavriil

I also do believe the news about a smaller MDX, but I dont believe Acura would make anything bigger than the MDX. At least not any time soon.

It's been said here 10,000,000 times before that it's unlikely Honda/Acura will make a V8. And if something were to be created that is bigger than the MDX... It's gonna need a V8.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:22 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Re: My turn for dealer rumors......

Originally posted by Scrib

It's been said here 10,000,000 times before that it's unlikely Honda/Acura will make a V8. And if something were to be created that is bigger than the MDX... It's gonna need a V8.

This would be the PERFECT type of platform to utilize the hybrid technology!!! Imagine having a big-ass Ute that was powered by an electric assist motor to the AWD system! That would turn the SUV market upside down!! 30+ MPG on a big SUV!

I believe some very big things are in the future from Acura. They dropped the ball during what I call the "boring years" of automobiles (corresponding approximately to the time since the 300ZX/Supra/RX7/3000GT/Turbo Eclipse/240SX/Prelude were done away with in favor of very bland and boring cars).

The new paridigm is going to be set by Acura--making more power with fewer emmissions and better gas mileage.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:23 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Also, JROCK--I'm going to be away this weekend.

EricL--I think he was talking about something like the Audi TT/350ZX style.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:52 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

One last thing. Now that we all know about the electronic motor assist and its potential advantages over a V8, are we all still completely enamored by a V8 or should we be more open-minded and consider the potential benefits and technological advances of a V6 hybrid?

Are we thinking in the past instead of the future? Do V8's even have a place in the future if a V6 hybrid can out horsepower, out torque, get better mileage and reduce emissions compared to a V8? Not to mention probably weigh less and take up less space.

Maybe we should all change our train of thought. Perhaps Acura has heard our cries for torque and instead of bringing a V8 they will do us one better. Remember, all of the streetcars in SanFrancisco that navigate the big hills use electric motors to produce the massive torque needed to get up those hills.

I think we might all be surprised when the next generation of Acura engines comes out. Is it any wonder that the current V6 has been around for so long with just a minor tweak to the Type S version. Perhaps this will all be time well spent if they come out with the V6 hybrid and blow the doors off the auto industry. This thing will make all the work on diesels completely antiquated the second it is introduced.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:02 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i'd hit a gas electric hybrid. as long as it looks like a normal car, feels like a normal car and drives like a normal car and accelerates like a normal car. nothing like that Honda Insight shizzit. i'd have no problem whatsoever in hittin that up.

if that is what happens, and all signs point in that direction, then how about acura eventually making all their cars gas electris hybrids. imagine the NSX, using the technology in the DNX concept it'd be a supercar that puts 400 down on and AWD and gets 40+ mpg, or like JZ suggested, a Huge SUV that does everything like a Expedition or Suburban but gets twice or three times as many miles per gallon. THAT WOULD BE A HUUUUUGGGEEE SELLER.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:39 AM
TRELOS

U know this all would be great. But I would be hesitant to purchase the 1st gen model. I mean do I have to explain the '01 CLS.

Now I have a question about performance. If we are electric assisted then I would assume that there would be a greater loss in drivetrain in order to power a massive alternator.

Contest for who is closest to what will become with '04. OK I'm in. I believe that the '04 will be a 3.5 Type-S engine with AWD.

If I am right does that mean u will by me a '04?

Juker008
Old 11-06-2002, 05:31 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care what hype you give it, a V6 won't be as appealing to your average SUV buyer as the magic letter-number combo "V8".

It would require soooo sooo SOOOO much advertising and convincing to make it sell even close to as well as any major V8 contender that it would probably be too costly. Then again, Acura has failed to give the RL and the NSX a bigger engine and more power so maybe they have the balls to do this too.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:08 AM
Instructor

acura/honda have mut to much money nd research into their v6
competion is to tight between the automakers for them to test a v8 in the market.
if acura wouldn't to test the market with the v8 what better place then the nsx. but no after 10 years its still the same motor.

they should have match lexus when the came out with thier v8.

Honda being a big player in the racing circuit is quite capable of producing a mean v8 so for what ever reason/s their not intrested in going there.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:27 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I think the RL will get a V8 and a 5 speed auto and the CL will have a convertable.