For my son?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:

Not tryin' to flame you NOVA, but 4X4's are anything but safe. You get a kid screwing around in one of those and you're about 100x likely to flip the thing due to the high center of gravity!

And plus, I think it's kind of funny that you mentioned safety and Ford Explorer in the same post. I take it your aunt's Explorer didn't have Firestones, eh?
</font>
I totally disagree. I currently drive my 4x4 nissan Pickup everyday and I have never rolled it or even come close to rolling it. I drive it HARD and corner HARD in it.

I have owned 2 other cars in my life besides the 4x4. One was the type-s, and the other was a pontiac Bonneville.

Both were wrecked BADLY by me, Mostly because they were VERY fast cars and your reaction times are reduced when driving these quick cars.

You'd have to really want to roll your pickup truck to make it roll. Believe me, I've pushed my 4x4 to it's limets and it never even gave.

Old 04-02-2001, 11:48 PM
Learn to swim.

It seem that a lot of your replys are based on "I didn't have what I wantred as a kid, so neither will my kid" most of what parents know about parenting was learned from theor parents as well. When I turned 16, I got a brand new Mustang Cobra. I only got one speeding ticket and never got in a wreck. I treated that thing like it was the only car I would ever own. You have to get your kid something that he will care for. Also, kids will drive the same way no matter what you get them to a degree, if you buy him a car that can't handle it the chances are higher he/she will get hurt. Also, if you buy your kid some "econo-box" he/she will most likely drive it like they stole it which will inevitably end up like my best friends car--totaled. I tall comes down to your kid, those of you who say they don't even have kids yet and have already decided that your going to trap them in a POS, your being unfair to them. Can you even remember you at that age?Wait until you have watched your kid for 16 years, then decide how far you can throw them.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i agree, suv's aren't the safest for a teenager, esp. a boy who will have the tendency to drive the car hard. I had a friend who flipped his and ended up killing a whole family. Saddest thing i've ever experienced all do to him taking his SUV a little to fast around a corner 10 MPH above the limit.
Old 04-03-2001, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
I totally disagree. I currently drive my 4x4 nissan Pickup everyday and I have never rolled it or even come close to rolling it. I drive it HARD and corner HARD in it.

I have owned 2 other cars in my life besides the 4x4. One was the type-s, and the other was a pontiac Bonneville.

Both were wrecked BADLY by me, Mostly because they were VERY fast cars and your reaction times are reduced when driving these quick cars.

You'd have to really want to roll your pickup truck to make it roll. Believe me, I've pushed my 4x4 to it's limets and it never even gave.

</font>

Sorry Jayru, but the likelihood of flipping a vehicle with a high center of gravity is very well documented. Just because you've never flipped yours doesn't mean it's not more likely. You can't argue with physics, my friend!
Old 04-03-2001, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey gold, I do agree w/ you about the explorer not being safe but since that car was so big, when I first started driving, it didn't make me want to speed or drive it dangeously. And the funny thing is after that explorer we got another white eddie bauer eddtion explorer and it flipped over in the snow.

After taht My aunt drives a ford windstar.

Hey get your son a minivan!!! it'll never flip over and it can't speed either. Just make sure he doesn't be the local metro service for his frieneds.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:08 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

Yeah, stats are pretty overwhelming in regards to rolling an SUV... I haven't done it, but I've seen WAY to many to mention...it's just a fact that they (SUVs) are much easier to roll than any car.

Anyway, jp: you had a 442?! Man, my people wouldn't even let me NEAR one...something about speed of sound....

dee

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 04-03-2001, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
It seem that a lot of your replys are based on "I didn't have what I wantred as a kid, so neither will my kid" most of what parents know about parenting was learned from theor parents as well. When I turned 16, I got a brand new Mustang Cobra. I only got one speeding ticket and never got in a wreck. I treated that thing like it was the only car I would ever own. You have to get your kid something that he will care for. Also, kids will drive the same way no matter what you get them to a degree, if you buy him a car that can't handle it the chances are higher he/she will get hurt. Also, if you buy your kid some "econo-box" he/she will most likely drive it like they stole it which will inevitably end up like my best friends car--totaled. I tall comes down to your kid, those of you who say they don't even have kids yet and have already decided that your going to trap them in a POS, your being unfair to them. Can you even remember you at that age?Wait until you have watched your kid for 16 years, then decide how far you can throw them.</font>
I was actually one of the people who don't have kids and yes, I picked up on my parents parenting. I disagree with most of your comment, especially the caring for the nice car part. If you buy your kid any car, they will not learn to care for it, but if you do like was done to me (and many around me), and have the kid buy his/her own car, I guarantee they will care for it and be that much more careful. You're always more careful when you buy something yourself, especially if you don't have that much money, like most kids.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 04-03-2001, 12:35 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an ex-racer and having attended both Bondurant and Buddy Bakers Driving schools, I think the best thing is education. I had hot cars from the itme I was 16, but my father insisted that I know how to drive correctly. My daughter is now 16 and has her permit. She drives fairly well, but as she gets comfortable, she gets a little careless- brakes too late, rolls stops ect. I bring her back to reality in the local parking lot with some cones and a slalom run. This makes her realize that proper driving technique gets better results. We have purchased a 94 Camry for her to drive and can only hope that common sense will prevail.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 04-03-2001, 12:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
As an ex-racer and having attended both Bondurant and Buddy Bakers Driving schools, I think the best thing is education. I had hot cars from the itme I was 16, but my father insisted that I know how to drive correctly.</font>
exactly how i feel. Education will be a must. Do you guys know if they let you drive at these schools before you get a license?
Old 04-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Instructor

You mentioned the driving schools -- a most excellent program for drivers would be:

Defensive driving (pro style)
Accident avoidance and basic "boot" camp in car handling (wet, dry, turns, etc)

I don't know about the school's policy -- I know they got some young kids in those go-kart racing programs. Give them a phone call!

The guy who taught me, was an ex race car driver who had his own "defensive driving school" and taught "on the public" streets.
(No, he didn't drive at 100mph around city streets and turns...) But, he did teach the whole 9 yards in deserted areas AND he was very good at teaching how to tell what some other driver was going to do, before they would do it (look at there head movements and state of inattention, etc). A thousand other tricks were offered up.

This was not your turn the wheel back and forth -- ok you can park; Now take the test 14 times -- good luck (sucker).

This guy knew that a good "safety zone" around the car, along with the ability to avoid rather than brake into idiots was a "requirement".

Some of OUR tax dollars to help support a "real" driver training program for kids and adults with "real" drivers would save us money in the long run.

------------------
Dr's car's is stealthy -- able to sneak up on unsuspecting victims
Old 04-03-2001, 01:48 PM
on bin laden

As an ex-racer and having attended both Bondurant and Buddy Bakers Driving schools, I think the best thing is education. I had hot cars from the itme I was 16, but my father insisted that I know how to drive correctly. My daughter is now 16 and has her permit. She drives fairly well, but as she gets comfortable, she gets a little careless- brakes too late, rolls stops ect. I bring her back to reality in the local parking lot with some cones and a slalom run. This makes her realize that proper driving technique gets better results. We have purchased a 94 Camry for her to drive and can only hope that common sense will prevail.

</font>
don't tell anybody at work you got her a camry instead of an old legend

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 04-03-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She keeps asking to drive the TL-S

(I did take her for a "test ride" in in at the parking lot- but she isn't getting behind the wheel!)

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 04-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

She keeps asking to drive the TL-S

(I did take her for a "test ride" in in at the parking lot- but she isn't getting behind the wheel!)

</font>
Come on Wayne let her drive

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 04-03-2001, 04:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

come on wayne let her drive it!!!!

------------------
"the needle got buried at 140.....1,500 RPM later...the tach got buried"
Old 04-03-2001, 04:10 PM
on bin laden

you've got full coverage

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 04-03-2001, 04:17 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:

</font>
No offense.. but didn't that "invincible attitude" result in plowing your type -s into a wall?
4x4's have higher insurance just because they are a 4x4.
What about the temptation of actually using the 4x4 off road. I have done plenty of that myself, and have seen expierenced drivers roll their trucks.
Buy the kid the Camaro. Educate him the best you can. Let him drive. If he is careless he is going to wreck what ever it is he drives.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 04-03-2001, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,172 Likes on 3,646 Posts
What happened to teaching him responsibility from the beginning and forcing him to buy his own car if he wants to drive. Christ, kids these days got it way too friggin' easy.

------------------
'01 Satin Silver CL-S, tint, Momo Cobra Carbon, Mobil1, V1, 19169's

NY Lic.- F1 FAN
Future mods: Comptech springs, sways & headers
17" wheels (Heidfelds, Racing Harts or Volks) with S-02's
aerokit?

1995 Mitsu GSX, no mods
NY Lic.-I LV F1
Old 04-03-2001, 05:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan:
What happened to teaching him responsibility from the beginning and forcing him to buy his own car if he wants to drive. Christ, kids these days got it way too friggin' easy.

</font>
this is what my thoughts are on this. If i'm successfull and am making good money when my kid comes time to buy a car. I'm gonna help him out w/ buying one. My parents did this with me. They helped me out w/ about half of what the car was. (stock market was good ). It's real rare now a days to find kids who have actually paid for there car; reasons are probally because the economy is so good, and cars are so essential to living right now.

Old 04-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some choices for your son:

(Each of these cars are a great combination of safety, reliability and power)

Honda Civic/CRX
Honda Insight
Honda Accord 4cyl
Acura Integra LS (maybe a GS-R...that would be my number one choice out of the whole list...you choose if he can mod the car or not )
Nissan Sentra/Altima
Toyota Celica GT
Mazda Protege (hmm..on second thought.. )

If you're on a budget, a used '94 GS-R is perfect...around 7-8k with 60k miles...

As what most of the board said, it isn't wise for a teenager to be driving a V8 Camaro, CL-S, SUV...it's just common sense

------------------
2001 Black/Parchment Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation System & factory spoiler
Current Mods: AEM CAI (red) w/ BPV, Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17-97W tires, 15% tint, PIAA 19169's, Infinity Perfect 12" subwoofer, Precision Power PC2600 amplifier, Monster Cable
On Order: Comptech headers & sway bars, Eibach SportLine springs & Apex'i V-AFC
Old 04-03-2001, 07:04 PM
Banned

Attn: drchang....did you notice all this talk about rolling cars!?! Hmmm...like a camry is any better...a 91 right???HAHAHAHAHA

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tuleman:
No offense.. but didn't that "invincible attitude" result in plowing your type -s into a wall?
4x4's have higher insurance just because they are a 4x4.
What about the temptation of actually using the 4x4 off road. I have done plenty of that myself, and have seen expierenced drivers roll their trucks.
Buy the kid the Camaro. Educate him the best you can. Let him drive. If he is careless he is going to wreck what ever it is he drives.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 04-03-2001, 07:58 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

well my thoughts are get him a cheap reliable car until he can start paying for a new ride. My parents gave me a hand me down and it ran like a champ. Tell him to treat it as if it were new and he should learn responsibility that way, by maintaining it.
Also come on a Camaro GM's run forever!!!Almost???

------------------
'01 CL-S
Taffeta White
All Stock
Anxiously Waiting to Install Eibach Pro-Kit
Contemplating Comptech Sways