My first SCCA Solo II event

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 08:34 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first SCCA Solo II event

Woohoo...my first Auto-cross event was a blast. The Steel Cities Region hosted the event at Allegheny Airport this past Saturday and Sunday. I was helping Smitty install his Comptech headers and sways (and my sways too) Saturday so I just did the Sunday event.

It was well worth the $20 and waking up at 7:30am on Sunday. Since it was my first Solo II event I had "ok" times...nothing spectacular, but at least I didn't come in last. My best time was a 50.379 secs compared to a Integra Type-R that I rode with that did a 46.XXX secs.

One of the event coordinators gave me an unofficial award for "Having the Loudest Tires" and "Racing the Heaviest Car". The OEM Michelins were definitely not made for drifting through corners at 45-50mph. At the end of the fourth run, I noticed my tires had "feathered" a little. Bascially my tread blocks were peeling back. sucks

Anyway, I want to thank Smitty for helping me put my Comptech Sways in. Would've been a bitch w/o the air gun.

Hopefully I'll have some pics posted once I get my damn computer from UPS next week.

Next up...another Solo II event at Beaver Run. A 340+ acre track north of Pittsburgh. I can't wait...

My setup:
39psi front tires (cold)
33psi rear tires (cold)
9 clicks front struts
11 clicks rear struts
Old 07-15-2002, 08:41 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome!

Sounds like you have your setup done correctly.

High pressure up front, low pressure in the back, softer shocks up front, stiffer shocks in the back.

Auto-x is a blast, I just wish I didn't have to drive almost 2+ hours to get to all the events in my area.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Man, I want to get involved in some of those races.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:59 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by BNut
softer shocks up front, stiffer shocks in the back.
yeah...I'm fortunate there are so many people interested in these events in this area. 100+ cars raced yesterday.

The struts are actually stiffer up front and looser in the back. The number is out of 16 clicks w/ the 16th click being the softest.

This setup allowed me to swing my ass out with a click of the steering wheel if needed. My fourth and last run I went balls out and ended up "drifting" through every corner.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:14 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by chikai
The struts are actually stiffer up front and looser in the back. The number is out of 16 clicks w/ the 16th click being the softest.

This setup allowed me to swing my ass out with a click of the steering wheel if needed. My fourth and last run I went balls out and ended up "drifting" through every corner.
You want the rear stiffer than the front to help induce lift throttle oversteer. Try changing the settings the next time you to go the track and see if you notice a difference. Having the fronts a little softer should help reduce understeer as well.

This is the advice I received from a veteran auto-x'er in Houston when I went to the BMWCCA auto-x event at the Houston Policy Academy. He had a JRSC Integra GS-R and was pulling some mean times!
Old 07-15-2002, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How did your brakes hold up? Did you experience any fading? I'm afraid I'd warp my rotors again. Did you predominantly use SS?
Old 07-15-2002, 09:45 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by Mike
How did your brakes hold up? Did you experience any fading? I'm afraid I'd warp my rotors again. Did you predominantly use SS?
The brakes were fine for the first 3 runs. I felt some brake fade on the forth run. I did all four runs back to back with about a 10 min break in between runs.

I was in SS mode the entire time, but since I never left 2nd gear I didn't need to shift at all.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Son of a

I was so jealous yesterday watching you whip around that track... too damn bad I had to take pictures with your camera instead of being able to watch the whole run... it looked great... I did see the straight away when you mashed the VTEC... I almost shit my jeans... that sound was mean.... but all an all, I think that was a true test on the ride, but I am sure it was hard on it too... Now that freaking M3 was a sight to see... that driver was mad crazy... I think that is my next ride... I better start saving...LOL
Old 07-15-2002, 10:24 AM
'Cooter

hey glad u guys had a good time...great fun to max out our babies potential, our heavy bitches!!!

now POST THEM PICS!!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah K-dawg

Show everyone what mad skills I got while taking pics of a moving buggie around turns and shit..

I know, when you get your CPU next week... lol... they just want to see how your ass end was planted to the ground as you took them turns...

Smitty
Old 07-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Which class did they put you in?

from their web site

http://www.cobrauniversity.com/other/Z-Car.rm
Old 07-15-2002, 12:00 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by Mike
Which class did they put you in?

from their web site

http://www.cobrauniversity.com/other/Z-Car.rm
They put me in the STS (Street Touring Sxxxx?) class. I ran with Civic SIs, Preludes, Integra GSRs, etc... They figured with my heavy ass rolling around it would be difficult to keep up with the ITRs, Corvettes, M3s, etc...and they were right.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, I didn't know you were into auto X, nice to know that our cars can hang on the auto x courses.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Drifting

we can drift in our cars :sqnteek:
Old 07-18-2002, 09:29 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

sure we can drift...but it's more of a four wheel drift in mid-throttle...then when I let go of the throttle and the front tires grab it actually becomes a slide. It's pretty fun...give it a shot sometime.

I drew a rough sketch of the track below. It's actually very accurate. Each run has the driver go through the figure eight twice. The most difficult part was navigating through the middle of the "figure eight" and making the sharp left at the top of the "eight". Then the exit was a slow gut wrenching left.

Soooo much fun.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by chikai
sure we can drift...but it's more of a four wheel drift in mid-throttle...then when I let go of the throttle and the front tires grab it actually becomes a slide. It's pretty fun...give it a shot sometime.

I drew a rough sketch of the track below. It's actually very accurate. Each run has the driver go through the figure eight twice. The most difficult part was navigating through the middle of the "figure eight" and making the sharp left at the top of the "eight". Then the exit was a slow gut wrenching left.

Soooo much fun.

im tryin to head out on the 28th they are having it in my area at an empty parking lot at the local zoo