My First REAL race -- A MB C36 or C43 -- and I forgot to shift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First REAL race -- A MB C36 or C43 -- and I forgot to shift!!!

Ok -- I just got home and thought I'd share what happened hardly 10 minutes ago...

I was driving back from my friend's place, and I take a final right turn onto this major road that'll lead right up to my residential area (where I take a left and enter the subdivision). Anyways, it's night out, and as I take the right turn, I see in my rear-view another car that has cool Xenons, and yellow fogs -- however, I first think "GS4XX" .. but no, the headlamps aren't as clear as the Lexus's. So I slow down a little and let this mystery pull up next to me (i'm about two minutes away from taking that left into my subdivision...) .. It's a MB C36 or C43 -- I want to say C36 b/c of the yellow fogs -- I think all new mercedes have the clear ones like I have on my E320. At any rate, he's pacing along at 55mph, and so am I .. so .. whoA .. there goes that left turn I was tellin' ya about .. forget that!!! It's a cool night out, not too many cars, I'm ready to square away at a stop light with this mofo.

So I approach a light that just turned green .. and I punch it ahead of him (i go from the right to the left lane) to intice him into a friendly race (if this is getting too long.. scroll down to <<<THE RACE>>>) In the distance I see a lonely car slowly pulling up to a red light and he's still beind me, approaching quickly. I jump in front of that slow car and now I'm on his immediate left -- WE'RE AT A STOPLIGHT!!

<<<THE RACE>>>

I quickly glance over at his car and I see all these stuffed animals littering the interior.. so I think uh-oh.. some dad w/ his kid.. better not do this now.. but I drop into SS (big mistake as you'll see) and put my left ft. on the brake and my right on the accel., just in case he wants to party. ***GREEN*** He slowly goes into it, we're headlight to headlight -- then he PUNCHES IT!! .. so do I -- he got a 1/4 car lead and we're neck and neck to 80mph which comes up REAL FAST!!! .. and then "stutter stutter stutter" and MY CAR STARTS JERKING FORWARD AT 80 MPH!!... I FORGOT TO SHIFT DAMMIT!!!!@#$#^# I could have easily kept up w/ him thru 3rd gear, and then he mighta got me .. but we ran outta real estate. Now I'm all worried (since this is the first time I banged the rev limiter .. ever.. and over four times for that matter..) . I'm hopin' I didn't ruin anything, so I roll down the windows to listen for anything wrong .. all fine. I drop to 2nd again (finally shifted to 3rd after he let off the gas) .. as we're approaching a crowded red, I jump on the throttle, get ahead of him and put on my blinkers to remind him I kept up w/ his $55,000 Mercedes no prob. Then I took a left and circled back to go home -- still listening for anything wrong w/ the TL-S.

I love this car!!!!!!!

Hey -- quick q... is it bad to hit the rev limiter once in a while??

Hope you enjoyed this.. I know I did!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-10-2001, 01:13 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 632 Likes on 281 Posts
I hit my rev limiter all the time...don't worry about it...that's why it's there

------------------
Astroboy out...

2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, Volk Racing SE37's in 18", goodridge braided brake lines, AEM CAI (blue), APEXi V-AFC, full kicker system, 13" Brembo's on the way with slotted discs for the rear
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks, ported and polished, crillo rods, new valvetrain
1995 VW Golf: 1999 VR6 Swap, H&R Coil Overs, neuspeed strut bars, neuspeed sway bars, 2.5" Stainless TT exhaust w/ Borla, 13" AP Racing big brakes
Old 05-10-2001, 01:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good race. I hit the limiter 3-4 times in 3rd! No problem at all. We should not have a problem anyway. The limiter is there so we dont have a problem if we surpass 7K rpm. So dont worry.

The race makes sense. The 302HP C43 was in the low 6s if I remember correctly from my mag racer experience at the fake track. So it makes sense.

I was reading about the new C32 though out soon. Man that thing is fast. The car is governed at 155mph like all German cars are. But AMG will secretly remove the limiter if you ask them to. The car then does 175mph! There is more. There is a way to ask for AMG to change the final drive ratio and the car will do 190mph!!! That is Viper teritory now. That thing is slippery. Cd is 0.26 I think.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S

[This message has been edited by gavriil (edited 05-09-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
no. it's bad to get killed because you forgot to shift ,then put on your hazzards after you lost...ill tell ya whats worse though not puttin it in SS and shifting it into neutral(accidentilly ofcourse)....no damage to your engine thats what the rev limiter is for ...its smarter than you!

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit

[This message has been edited by typeR (edited 05-09-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I really wanna believe it was the C36 I raced, not the C43. It sounded more like a V6 at full blast (his car) than a V8. Plus, I wanna believe that the V8 would pull harder on my car -- although I know most MB's are tuned so that they don't have TONS of low-end torque off the line so that they can elegantly smoke you! The C36 had 265 hp w/ 272lb-ft of torque (or something very similar).

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>
Old 05-10-2001, 02:33 AM
Intermediate

Lemme get this straight...you lost, then you cut in front of him, flash your hazards, then immediately turn off???

------------------
'01 S4
Old 05-10-2001, 02:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry if I didn't pick up the latest edition of "Vin Diesel's Street Racing Rules.." but then again, I'm not losin' any sleep over being neck and neck w/ a C36 and then watching him pull away for 1 second b/c I missed a shift b/w 2nd and 3rd. I thought it was fun as hell. I thought I'd get out in front and blink him. I would have stayed for a few more runs, but I was thrilled as it was just racing him the first time!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>
Old 05-10-2001, 04:22 AM
Intermediate

Hey, it's cool if you were able to keep even with him for a while before you effed up your shift . Maybe it's just a local thing around here, but if you cut right in front of someone and flash your hazards, it's kinda like thumbing your nose at them.

------------------
'01 S4
Old 05-10-2001, 12:21 PM
Virile, vigorous & potent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TL_Type_S:
I drop to 2nd again (finally shifted to 3rd after he let off the gas) .. as we're approaching a crowded red, I jump on the throttle, get ahead of him and put on my blinkers to remind him I kept up w/ his $55,000 Mercedes no prob. Then I took a left and circled back to go home</font>
That's what's called a "Ricer Fly-by".

BTW, what part of Illinois are you in? I'll be in a town called Gillespie visiting in June. I've got something a lot cheaper than a $55K Mercedes that I'll give you an opportunity to run. It can be your second "REAL race"!
Old 05-10-2001, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd LOVE another friendly race!

I live in Naperville, IL --> 25 minutes outside Chicago, I can give you directions when you're in town. M3Sins and I have met up after meeting on this board, and I plan on meeting up w/ his buddies and racing w/ 'em (they have 750iL w/ NOS, M3's, and DINAN-ized 3-series, plus a Firehawk). I prefer not to race just someone I pulled up to, the thrill of the race can lead to accidents -- not paying attention to the road (..watching the tach like I should have been doing) .. accidents happen too easily. I've given up MANY opportunities to race Camaros, Mustangs that sat at my right, revvin' their engines, trying to egg me on. It's not worth it, but in a somewhat controlled circumstance, I don't see the harm.

BSOD -- I guess I won't be doing the fly-by again, I want NOTHING to do w/ being associated w/ a Ricer! Thanks for the tid-bit, I bet that guy thinks I'm a clown! LOL

BTW -- I have a $53K MB sitting in my garage too (see pics), it's just that it doesn't do any better than a 15.9 1/4-mile -- nothing worth racing, just luxurious cruisin!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>
Old 05-10-2001, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Yeah a TL-S tried to stay on my bumper, but that ended as soon as we approached the curves. There's more to it than just straight line racing. BTW you raced a C36. The C43 will hand you your ass.

------------------
'99 BMW M3
Dinan Stage II
Old 05-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I really wanna believe it was the C36 I raced, not the C43. It sounded more like a V6 at full blast (his car) than a V8. Plus, I wanna believe that the V8 would pull harder on my car -- although I know most MB's are tuned so that they don't have TONS of low-end torque off the line so that they can elegantly smoke you! The C36 had 265 hp w/ 272lb-ft of torque (or something very similar).

</font>
Maddog -- yeah .. I was pretty sure of that from the get go! LOL Oh and Maddog -- I totally understand there is more to racing than just the straightline -- I've seen some Indy races and some AutoX footage -- I'm well aware of it --- but hell man, power to ya if you wanna race someone "in the curves" where you are, cuz here, it's all local traffic, and I'm not about to do that and endanger others' lives (not saying you implied this.. just .. for the record). Plus, I bought the TL-S for the straightline acceleration, don't really care what it does in the curves. I would bought an M3 like yours if I wanted that -- and I may do that in the future!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Bone Stock
</A>

[This message has been edited by TL_Type_S (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

TL-S,

I can totally respect what you said b/c I think the the TL-S is a sharp looking car. It is more refined & smoother than my M3. To be honest I see myself getting a TL or TL-S when I have kids. I really miss my Maxima after a long drive. Regarding the handling, just install some springs, sways, and upgraded tires and you'll be track ready! Also, the streets here in Houston aren't congested as other areas so noone was in danger except the TLS & myself. Post time slips if you make it to the track.

------------------
'99 BMW M3
Dinan Stage II
Old 05-11-2001, 02:29 PM

I'd LOVE another friendly race!

I live in Naperville, IL --> 25 minutes outside Chicago, I can give you directions when you're in town.</font>
Well, I'm not going to be in that town. As I said, I'll be in Gillespie. That's about 45 miles south of Springfield.

A friend of mine owns Victory Lane Ford in Litchfield (Exit 52 on I-55). I've got some races lined up there when I get there in early June.

I'll be running the owner in his '69 Shelby GT-500. And his nephew's friend has a new Z28 that doesn't think too much of boxy old 3800 lb Buicks with 231 c.i. V6s in them. So I may have to lay the smack down on him if he shows up.

But you're more than welcome to visit us at Victory Lane Ford in Litchfield in June, where hopefully we can all get together on the I-55 frontage road and make a few runs.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:10 PM
6 speed...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lyonsd:

And his nephew's friend has a new Z28 that doesn't think too much of boxy old 3800 lb Buicks with 231 c.i. V6s in them. So I may have to lay the smack down on him if he shows up.

</font>
you must mean boxy old 3800 lb buicks with 231 c.i. v6s and forced induction...

so, are we talking gn or t-type?

[This message has been edited by tankmonkey (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 04:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tankmonkey:
you must mean boxy old 3800 lb buicks with 231 c.i. v6s and forced induction...

so, are we talking gn or t-type? </font>
http://dsma.home.mindspring.com/cars...-national.html
Old 05-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Damn I want a GN

(as a project car....took a look at a pic of the interior and cringed *no offense*)

------------------
'01 S4
Old 05-11-2001, 05:41 PM
Banned

Just get a regal turbo..same thing..just ask Chrissy...oops....drchang..
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BSOD:
Damn I want a GN

(as a project car....took a look at a pic of the interior and cringed *no offense*)

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)