My doors are automatically locking on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Got DEP???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My doors are automatically locking on me!!!

Tried a search and came up with nothing...

Ok, this started last week when I got locked out of my car and couldn't understand why...

I put the kid in the car seat and closed the door and went around to the drivers side to find out that I was locked out.
Good thing she could get the latch undone on the car seat and reach the manual lock to let me in.

So, I just figured that when she pushed the door in to get between my car and the one next to it, that my leather jacket had hit the lock switch.

Today, I get in the car (kept my keys in my hand) and she says "I didn't lock you out". So, I look at my locks to see that they are locked again...
Confused, I asked her how she locked them and she said "I didn't, they did by them selves".

Long story short, I got my new tires and went to my storage to find out that my doors were locked once again. They only lock when the car has been locked from the outside (remote) and then I unlock (remote) and start the car. If I start the car, the doors automatically lock and I had never had this happen before.

Is this an issue or was my car always supposed to do that when I started the car?

Is there a fix that I can do?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Mine did this to me a couple times. As a habit, now, if I get out of the car with the key in the ignition, I will always roll the windows down a couple inches.

By the way, it happened when my battery was dying. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. When I changed the battery it never happened again.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Instructor

i also have a similar problem when i unlock my car from the outside sometimes it will lock itself again and since i got my car back from the body shop my lights dont flash when i lock or unlock the car
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Got DEP???

These cars automatically lock again if you unlock but don't open the door within 30 seconds or something like that. They also re-lock if you unlock the doors and then open the trunk before opening the doors.

I wonder if my battery is going out... The car was a little slow starting this morning as well. I just thought that was because I haven't started it since Friday and it was in the teens. I normally always roll my window down a few inches before getting out with the vehicle running. Problem last week was that it was below freezing and I was trying to let the car run before jumping in and leaving.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Wow. How are you guys having this problem? I can leave my key in the ignition, lock the doors and close them and the driver's side lock will pop up on its own - I'm thinking as a safety precaution.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Got DEP???

Well, my original battery is in there and the little peep hole has NO green light anymore... Guess it's time to take my other battery and throw it in.

Is 950 Cold Cranking AMPs going to be bad for this car?
I already have the battery, just didn't know if it would cause any problems.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Got DEP???

USURPER, my car does that as well.
I have never had this happen before though. What is happening is when I unlock my car (I never use the key though) and start the vehicle, the doors are automatically locking. I know other cars that do that when you start them, but when I shut the car off, they do no unlock and I have to unlock them myself.
I have tried to see if I could lock my keys in before and it always did the same as your car. This is something new and just started happening.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by redsly
These cars automatically lock again if you unlock but don't open the door within 30 seconds or something like that. They also re-lock if you unlock the doors and then open the trunk before opening the doors.

I wonder if my battery is going out... The car was a little slow starting this morning as well. I just thought that was because I haven't started it since Friday and it was in the teens. I normally always roll my window down a few inches before getting out with the vehicle running. Problem last week was that it was below freezing and I was trying to let the car run before jumping in and leaving.

Yeah, man. Freezing temperatures can KILL a battery dead especially if your battery already has some age on it. If you're living where the temp can get below freezing you need to get a battery with high starting amps. You may also need to get your alternator checked as a precaution.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Mine did this to me a couple times. As a habit, now, if I get out of the car with the key in the ignition, I will always roll the windows down a couple inches.

By the way, it happened when my battery was dying. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. When I changed the battery it never happened again.
Thanks, I'll try this and see if it works.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the key was int eh ignition and the car locks itself automatically when started, then you might have an aftermarket alarm of some sort in there.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If I don't open the door after 30 seconds then my doors will lock back up automatically.

Is this a CL feature that was never explained to me?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 AM
B A N N E D

My car locks once I hit the auto start button...I think It's so people can't mess with your car once it started, even though you can't drive it without the key.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
If I don't open the door after 30 seconds then my doors will lock back up automatically.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
if the key was int eh ignition and the car locks itself automatically when started, then you might have an aftermarket alarm of some sort in there.
No, I have a Viper 881XP 2-way LCD auto start/alarm that I haven't installed yet.
The only thing my car has is the factory alarm and like I said, this just started happening last week when temps got in the single digits.
I don't think it did it today, but I wasn't paying attention and the doors were unlocked when I got out. I usually leave my lights on at all times (they shut off automatically after 15 seconds) but I left them off today to see if it would help my battery charge more during the short drive. Maybe the cold just drained the battery and it is gettings it's charge back finally.

If it happens again, I'll just put in my other battery...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Got DEP???

Yeah, it's in the manual...

It also relocks the doors when you pop your trunk after unlocking the doors and not opening them.

Useless fact: The passenger side mirror goes back up in reverse when you go fast...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by redsly
USURPER, my car does that as well.
I have never had this happen before though. What is happening is when I unlock my car (I never use the key though) and start the vehicle, the doors are automatically locking. I know other cars that do that when you start them, but when I shut the car off, they do no unlock and I have to unlock them myself.
I have tried to see if I could lock my keys in before and it always did the same as your car. This is something new and just started happening.
That's really weird. Any auto lock features should be disabled once you put the key in the ignition. I experimented once to see if my keyfob would work with the key in the ignition and neither the door lock/unlock function worked nor the trunk lid function worked with the key in the ignition. Sounds like a malfunction in your system to me.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by USURPER
That's really weird. Any auto lock features should be disabled once you put the key in the ignition. I experimented once to see if my keyfob would work with the key in the ignition and neither the door lock/unlock function worked nor the trunk lid function worked with the key in the ignition. Sounds like a malfunction in your system to me.
The key fob doesn't work when the key is in the ignition, that's the way it works.
It was just auto locking when I started the car (I believe only when the door was closed too).
RaviNHCLs stated that he had this problem when his battery was shitting the bed, so I think my situation is the same. The maintenance free battery wasn't showing the little green light when I looked at it yesterday morning and I haven't checked it today. I'm not to worried, I'll just keep my spare key in my jacket to make sure.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Got DEP???

Well, my doors haven't been locking on me anymore (yet), but I did have Acura check my battery and it was down to 275 Cold Cranking Amps... In other words, it's a piece of shit that's dying...

RaviNJCLs, thanks for the tip, I never would have thought of that since the car starts fine and lights aren't dim!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
When I bought my car I didn't get a "manual" .
Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Got DEP???

Want to buy one? HaHa...
Gawd I need money...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...&class%5F2=AHA

You can get the owners manual there...
Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Got DEP???

You can order one from helmin.com here > http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...MU010JR5L09H78

That's for the '01 CL p... Not like you really need it though...

I got a manual when I bought my car. Unfortunately it wasn't the tranny though...

Edit: I just noticed GM#1 had already posted that... Sorry for the repost! I was on the site and remembered this thread and posted without reading. At least the link I posted was directly to the manual though... Owell