Multiple Failures - VCS, Cruise & Trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021 | 05:42 AM
4th Gear

Multiple Failures - VCS, Cruise & Trans

The VSC, cruise control and transmission all stopped working at the same time.

Codes
11-1 Right Front Wheel Sensor, (may have been there prior)
64-1 Supply Voltage Failures,
83-1 ECM/PCM Relation Failure.

Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2021 | 01:26 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by bankofdad
The VSC, cruise control and transmission all stopped working at the same time.

Codes
11-1 Right Front Wheel Sensor, (may have been there prior)
64-1 Supply Voltage Failures,
83-1 ECM/PCM Relation Failure.

Any ideas?
Can you explain the problem(s) in more detail? What do you mean the transmission stopped working? Did it happen while in the middle of driving?
Old 03-13-2021 | 02:00 PM
4th Gear

While driving, it started shifting up and down, then went into neutral.
Old 03-13-2021 | 03:05 PM
I am dumb

While driving, it started shifting up and down, then went into neutral.
I'm going to definitely say that it's the PCM, but don't take my word for it. Wait for some one else to chime in.
I had a PCM issue with my car when I first got it. CEL just never went away, no matter how many times I reset. Picked up a junk ECU from a car and paid $100 for a locksmith to make it work with my car. So if you have to go through that, it's not as bad as it sounds.
Old 03-22-2021 | 10:09 AM
4th Gear

I purchased a replacement PCM and had the locksmith program for the keys. It seemed to work, the car drove perfectly up the road, shifting nicely through first, second and third. I was able to do a three point turn and drive back down the road. When I went into reverse for the second time, the transmission stopped working, basically the same behavior as with the original PCM. I can reset the PCM by holding the brake pedal down for 35 seconds and the car will drive up the road again. Might there be another system affecting the operation of the transmission?

Old 03-22-2021 | 11:40 AM
I am dumb

I purchased a replacement PCM and had the locksmith program for the keys. It seemed to work, the car drove perfectly up the road, shifting nicely through first, second and third. I was able to do a three point turn and drive back down the road. When I went into reverse for the second time, the transmission stopped working, basically the same behavior as with the original PCM. I can reset the PCM by holding the brake pedal down for 35 seconds and the car will drive up the road again. Might there be another system affecting the operation of the transmission?
I have no clue at that point, that's weird. When you say the transmission stops working, does the car stall out, or does the engine just rev when you hit the accelerator? Could just be the transmission is fried. Had that same issue when I bought my car, but with 4th gear. It'd shift perfectly, then get into 4th, and it was like neutral.
If that's the case, then yeah, transmission might just be bad.
Old 03-22-2021 | 12:33 PM
4th Gear

The engine just revs when hitting the accelerator. Resetting the PCM allows the transmission to work perfectly for a short while. I'm wondering if the "64-1 Supply Voltage Failures" DTC code might be an indication of a bad Automatic Transaxle Clutch Pressure control Solenoid valve, or the voltage being supplied to it?
Old 03-22-2021 | 01:23 PM
I am dumb

The engine just revs when hitting the accelerator. Resetting the PCM allows the transmission to work perfectly for a short while. I'm wondering if the "64-1 Supply Voltage Failures" DTC code might be an indication of a bad Automatic Transaxle Clutch Pressure control Solenoid valve, or the voltage being supplied to it?
You might be right, but that's because I'm not sure what all that is, haha. But to me, it sounds like resetting the PCM sets it to factory settings, then it tries to 'learn', and it might be trying to compensate for something that's not there or damaged.
But like I said before, my 4th gear would just rev but not go anywhere. The gear never kicked in. Can't say I've heard of the same issue for reverse gear, but let's hope it's not a bad transmission.