me vs c5 vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand man... And belive me I am not trying to hate on the CL, as I stated before I absolutly love the CL. Ditto the vette, and I guess I would have to see the car like you said. On the flip side and a more lighter note I once witnessed a highly inexperienced lady drive an LS1 Vette down the quarter mile to the tune of 15.2

Just for shits and giggles I did pull up a few old Motor Trend Mags. Sure this is Bench racing, so you got me, but its the only direct example I have right now.

June 2003 Vol. 55 No 6

2003 Corvette Z06
0-60mph: 4.29
1/4 mile: 12.44@116.45mph
0-standing mile: 31.8@162.6mph

May 2003 Vol. 55. No 5

2003 Corvette Convertible (6spd)
0-60: 4.72
1/4 mile: 13.02@109.59mph

Interesting to note that in the June issue a Lancer Evo went 13.02@105mph in the quarter.

Dustin
Old 06-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by darrinb
well right now its raining out so i'd guess like a 15. something,
You know where I was coming from... When comparing numbers at least have the playing field even.

Not directed to you, this is based on my first post in this topic and an observation of reactions to the topic.

It appears people missed the part about getting pulled on after 2nd gear (about 70 MPH) and since it was from a roll I expect this whole thing to have started at about 20 - 30 MPH. IMO, this sounds about right for the given circumstances. The Vette did pull on Darrin, it just did not immediately do it which is not without reason.

I do suspect it was putting some distance between the two at the lower speeds, not immediately perceptible though. At the lower speeds and with the better gearing of the CL-S in this range it is not unheard of for the CL-S to not lose ground very quickly below 60 - 70 when taken from a roll.

The 4-Spd Auto Vette would have an overall gearing of 8.35 in 1st which probably takes it to about 50 before it shifts. Let’s assume that it didn't down shift when the run started and Darrin did go to first. Darrin would have an overall gear ratio of 12.91 which even with the torque deficit, allows it to lay down about the same, if not more, power to the ground than the Vette's 4.42 2nd gear overall ratio would allow

Once Darrin went into 3rd at an overall ratio of 5.44 his gearing advantage was lost and could not match the Vette's ability to still pull hard in 2nd up to about 90 MPH where it would go to 3rd. This is why he started losing noticeably at this point.

I guess the point is, a lot can happen in the last half of the track which is not what we got to see here. We only saw from the 60' to 660' marks.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Here is where my Z28 shifts

1st - 42mph@5,900
2nd - 80mph@5,900
3rd - 128mph@5,900
4th - Top Speed@??

and I am running consistant 13.6's@103mph in the quarter with an LT1 Convertible and 3.23 gears.

I have never really gotten to involved with reletive gear rations in comparison to power output.

One very nice think about the 4L60E, which is the automatic that is in both my car and the Vettes is that the computer will tell the tranny to shift right at the indicated redline and will give you the very lowest possible gear. My honda on the other hand dosen't like to shift at the redline nor does it like to give me the lowers possible gear

I am all for the underdog winning. If a CL Type S out runs a vette then I am very proud. But as I said just be careful, because the opposite result can happen in a blink of an eye.

So to take the race theory back in to perspective. The Vette runs a 3.15 performance gear and something like a 2.73 if you dont opt for the performance package. Maximum speed in 1st is right around that 45mph mark. However, remember that if you are running 40mph it will still give you 1st for a quick second.

I'll tell you what would be good, run him at the track and then if and when you beat him give us all the details. I just think its better to have all the info than to assume and not truly know.

Dustin
Old 06-12-2003, 08:20 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice analysis scalbert!!!

the race wasnt from a 20 or 30 roll though, imma try to draw it out

--------------------------------------------------------------
l
l
l
l
l
l
l

the road going up and down was the road we were on, he was ahead of me and i was right behind him, we race on the freeway that goes left to right, the horizontal one, lol its a red light on the vertical road so i'm stopped right behind him, light goes, he turns right onto the road and punches it, i do the exact same, so he really did get the go ahead cause he was infront. to tell you the truth w/ him driving his car i think he'll have trouble breaking into the 13's. i dunno whats wrong w/ his car like a month before we raced his trany did go out, he also loses to the ws6 that i raced http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...readid=104750, and he loses to this other kids ws6 drop top that goes to my school, everyone knows his car as being slow for a vette, i gotta get a pic of it up, it looks like shit.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Roadmaster
One very nice think about the 4L60E, which is the automatic that is in both my car and the Vettes is that the computer will tell the tranny to shift right at the indicated redline

So to take the race theory back in to perspective. The Vette runs a 3.15 performance gear and something like a 2.73 if you dont opt for the performance package.

I'll tell you what would be good, run him at the track and then if and when you beat him give us all the details.
I'm somewhat familiar with the GM Powertrain controls after my GTP and Typhoon (although the Typhoon had old detent shift controls, not electronic). My knowledge falls more with the 4T65E transaxle though. I do agree, the GM transmission controls do run up to and past redline under WOT. EXCEPT when hot, and that should be noted. If the transmission temperature gets above 210 F, I found it would shift early and not downshift when desired.

In my above example I used the 2.73 gears which are what I assume this "kid" had. So based on your shorter ratios my MPH numbers may be correct for the 2.73 gears. The overall ratios (particularly if he didn't get 1st) would somewhat even the ground.

Which leads into this agreement. Running at the track would be more interesting. Add the 60' advantage to the Vette and the last 1/8 advantage and I would expect to see a significant difference than what was shown here.

But I still stand by the original topic being correct.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

and he loses to this other kids ws6 drop top that goes to my school, everyone knows his car as being slow for a vette
Sounds like he needs some work done...
Old 06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will c if he wants to go to the track, i doubt it though,

he wont have the 60' advantage @ the track though cause of all the weight he has in his car, he has to prep his car for the track to get nice 60's, i will def get him through the first 1/8 though, i think
Old 06-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

he wont have the 60' advantage @ the track though cause of all the weight he has in his car, he has to prep his car for the track to get nice 60's, i will def get him through the first 1/8 though, i think
Actually, if he can load the TC at the launch the extra weight might help somewhat. If he loads the torque converter at launch he should be able to get away with little wheel spins and all that torque moving him.

I he has a clue on how to launch he should toake you out of the hole.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Its funny too how some people can't drive. Take the kid here in Indy with the '02 Z06... He drives up and down my street running like a bat out of hell then we see a 13.0 pop up at the strip... Same night an older gentleman posts a low 12 another '02 Z06.

I hope you run him again and I hope you beat him.

Dustin