Massive 360 spin, steering now vibrates above 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive 360 spin, steering now vibrates above 50mph

Well I was driving along, and just my luck there was a piece of gaurdrail in the middle of the high way, did'nt see it till last second, so I swirved to avoid it, unfortunatly I swirved a bit to hard, and lost control of the car, so I compounded to errror by hitting the brakes, which then led to going side ways across 3 lanes of traffic (thank god there were'nt to many cars out avoided hitting anyone) and eventually came to a rest on the shoulder, with a couple of scratches on corner of my bumber from grazing a millage marker. But I getting some major vibriation in the streering when going at anything over 50. I think it could be the allignment got out of whack, just wanted to get others opinions.....
Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like alignment. Get it checked out first. If that checks out fine then you worry about other issues.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good spin to me. You should have your tires checked for flat spots . . . not uncommon at all for a hard spin. That would cause a rougher ride and possibly vibrations in the steering.

Also, as Bladehunter noted, get the alignment checked and don't forget to have all your suspension and steering components checked just in case something got knocked lose or even bent.

Ruf
Old 11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Ok thanks for the advice, will get the alignment checked, but I really hope nothing else is messed up, has anyone ever had anything get bent or busted from a major slide or spin without hitting anything? I guess I would think the car is engineered to handle the kind of forces involved...I guess not....
Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladehunter
Ok thanks for the advice, will get the alignment checked, but I really hope nothing else is messed up, has anyone ever had anything get bent or busted from a major slide or spin without hitting anything? I guess I would think the car is engineered to handle the kind of forces involved...I guess not....
No suspension components should bend or break just from a skid. Its probably just an alignment like everyone else said.

Just curious, where did this happen? Was it in Jersey?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt your alignment is off unless you hit something. You likely have flat spotted the tires.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Funny you ask if it was in jersey, becuase after it happend I was thinking man good thing this did'nt happen on the parkway, or I and the car would probably be donefore....It actually happend on the NYS Throughway about halfway to were it merges from 3 to 2 lanes.......
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Flat spots? Excuse my ignorace here, but I have never heard that term, what is a flat spot in the tire, is it something I can visually inspect?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
As long as you didn't hit anything while going sideways, I doubt anything got bent or broke. But just to be safe, have it thoroughly checked out, and make sure nothing's out of spec. Get an alignment, and have the tires/wheels checked out.

Glad to hear that you didn't crash. Better to hear about possibly messed up tires than to hear about a crash.

Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Flat spots? Excuse my ignorace here, but I have never heard that term, what is a flat spot in the tire, is it something I can visually inspect?
You might be able to see it, but you’re mainly gonna FEEL/HEAR it.
It will be a thump-thump-thump-thump sound/feel and it will get progressively louder/quicker as you accelerate.

I do think it’s possible that you may have bent a suspension component even if you didn’t actually HIT something.
Yes the car is designed for the weight, but when you get that much weight going SIDEWAYS down the road, every little surface imperfection will transmit stresses in unintended directions.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I spun out at 80 mph one time (not in the TL, thank God) on the highway, went sliding sideways into the median, jumped a few times, corrected it, and got out. To this day, I'm still kind of proud myself for that smooth save. But aside from that, I had a flat tire, and after getting two new tires for the front, everything was fine. Shawn has a good point in that the suspension is not designed to carry lateral stress, but as long as you didn't hit anything, I think you have a good chance that alignment is just knocked out of spec a little bit, along with tires.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Advanced

I'll have to listen for a thumping sound, damn, well the car has'nt particularlly driven well for sometime now, I'v had alignments done and what not, but the handling just hase'nt felt great for some time, if I had the time and money I would have the tires/rotors/breaks replaced....You know I really want to love this car but after 2 years, the always looming threat of teh tranny failing(cross my fingers has'nt yet after 39K), the unrelenting rattles that I'v given up on getting fixed, junk breaking (On-star, Lumbar Support Handle, seat back heater element, rotors probablly warped, paint scractching from even minor contact) I pretty sick of it....I mean I had a 2000 Altima before this and thing was flawless after 50K miles and stills has not a single problem....I can honestly say I will not be buying another Honda/Acura product again, and will advise others to do the same, I mean from what I'v read the tranny on the new TL has issue's....It just comes down to that fact that I don't have time to be constantly going to the dealer getting stuff fixed.....sorry just some venting.......
Old 11-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Beware of leakage

Wheel out of balance, or the Flat spots in the tires.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, no offense . . . but I don't trust factory cars to take that kind of spin without some sort possible component failure. I mean come on . . . a few spirited runs and these cheap @ss rotors are warped.

I've also done my own suspension upgrades and broke one of the swaybar knuckles and I thought to myself how 'weak' they were. So just have it checked out thoroughly.

Ruf
Old 11-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Instructor

...... But I getting some major vibriation in the streering when going at anything over 50. I think it could be the allignment got out of whack, just wanted to get others opinions.....
Suggest you inspect motor / tran mounts. The front mounts on 5AT's contain fluid to compensate for motor vibration. When they break, you can feel the motor twist. Also, causes the CL to pull left or right. Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Intresting info about the motor mounts, the car has been pulling, but I assumed it was the alignment...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:12 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
corect me if I'm wrong, but a mis-aligned wheel will not give a vibration at any speed. A bent wheel certainly will. The CL-S has wheels that bend if you fart too hard. An easy diagnosis is to just jack-up the car and spin the wheel. Look on the inside of the rim, and not the tire. Give that a shot and see what's up. Chances are that you hit something and bent your wheel.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would tend to think its not an alignment but more of a wheel out of balance, or a flat spot.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Advanced

It is entirely possibble it's a bent rim, would not be surprised, pretty much driving in northern jersey guarentee's this, freaking roads with pot holes everywhere......I'll have to have that checked out...
Old 12-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for me to visually inspect the motor mounts?