Marylanders: Front plate or no??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005 | 11:46 AM
Pro

Marylanders: Front plate or no??

I hate the look of the front license plate, and i was wondering if any of you were just like what the hell i'm taking it off. I've heard the idea of stickign the plate in your trunk and if a cop says somethign you just say like "i'm waiting for a bracket from my dealer"

anywho give me your input, do you think it's wise or not to take it off?
Old 07-18-2005 | 11:57 AM
My Member is Registered

You definitely need a front plate or you will immediately be pulled over.
Old 07-18-2005 | 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

take that ugly thing off, dunno about how strict maryland pigs will be about that, but out here in LA, its such a petty thing that a cop would have to be a real big dick about actually pulling you over for something so insignificant. A citation will usually be given along when a cop pulls you over for some kind of moving violation and since most cops usually park behind you they never see the front of the car
Old 07-18-2005 | 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Maryland "pigs" will do their job and enforce the LAW that says you must have a front and rear plate.

If you don't like the look of the front plate with the licence plate bracket you could cut the bottom portion of the plate off to make it fit in the lower radiator grille area. I think that looks a little better myself.
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:07 PM
But I just got here

I'm in MD and have been driving without my front plate for months. Never been hassled by the cops about it. On the other hand, I had 20% tint all around and got pulled over a few weeks ago on 270 by a cop who said he was on "tint patrol" and gave me a repair order telling me to get it removed. So, I guess anything's possible with MD cops.
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:36 PM
Pro

that gives me hope...are you in montgomery county?
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:34 PM
Relax!

A few years ago I got pulled over (in Mo Co) 2 days after taking my front plate off. Was only a warning tho.
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:41 PM
Drifting

I had mine off for about a week when a cop pulled me over and told me I had to get it put on.
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:43 PM
Banned

I was thinking about taking mine off, but the bracket has worn away some of my paint. For now, I'll just leave it on until i fix that part.
Old 07-18-2005 | 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

If you don't like the look of the front plate with the licence plate bracket you could cut the bottom portion of the plate off to make it fit in the lower radiator grille area. I think that looks a little better myself.
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:22 PM
Drifting

is there a write-up on how to move it down to the radiator grille area?
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zigzagzig
is there a write-up on how to move it down to the radiator grille area?

1) Remove license plate and license plate frame.

2) Measure lower radiator grille opening.

3) Measure license plate

4) Cut license plate according to measurments taken from lower radiator grille opening

5) Attach license plate to lower grille opening using "zip-ties." You do not re-use the license plate frame.

^ There's your write up.
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:52 PM
But I just got here

Originally Posted by gingerbread
that gives me hope...are you in montgomery county?

Yeah, I'm in Montgomery County.
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:54 PM
Team Owner

There's quite a few of us in Montgomery County.
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:59 PM
how handsome I am

heh, we dont need it on the front bumper in miami - but the a-hole who owned the car before me ended up putting something up there anyways. now I've got two ugly screws upfront, plus a bunch of scratches from when the guy tried putting it in

Old 07-18-2005 | 05:09 PM
My Member is Registered

Originally Posted by andyjl
take that ugly thing off, dunno about how strict maryland pigs will be about that, but out here in LA, its such a petty thing that a cop would have to be a real big dick about actually pulling you over for something so insignificant. A citation will usually be given along when a cop pulls you over for some kind of moving violation and since most cops usually park behind you they never see the front of the car
I wish that there was a simple test that everyone had to pass in order to post here. You would have probably failed

I have several friends who like to be called POLICE OFFICERS and wouldn't think twice about taking a bullet in the chest for your stupid ass on any given day, so please try to remember that and show more respect next time you see one.

A missing or stolen front plate is not insignifigant in Maryland so It's a really good way to get pulled over quickly- as others in this thread have noted.

Just my , Don't make me pull out my wallet.
Old 07-18-2005 | 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

For what its worth I been riding around with my new CL-S for about 2.5 weeks without any front tags and a temp tag on my rear. Haven't caught any flack for it, passed dozens of cops...
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Maryland "pigs" will do their job and enforce the LAW that says you must have a front and rear plate.

There was a blue 98 prelude from maryland that was always at my school in PA and he had his license plate in the lower radiator grille, definitely a HUGE difference.
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:28 PM
Advanced

I live in Maryland and I took my off. It actually looks 10 times better but I have been pulled over like 3 times. BWI police even pulled me over. But I always have the bracket on the back floor so I always say I just picked it up from Acura.
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:38 PM
Drifting

3) Measure license plate

4) Cut license plate according to measurments taken from lower radiator grille opening

5) Attach license plate to lower grille opening using "zip-ties." You do not re-use the license plate frame.

^ There's your write up.
Just did it yesterday. Another Mo-County head.
Old 07-18-2005 | 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cruz_msl

A missing or stolen front plate is not insignifigant in Maryland so It's a really good way to get pulled over quickly- as others in this thread have noted.

Just my , Don't make me pull out my wallet.
Ever wonder how the Police catch people who are wanted? Pulling them over for stupid, yet legit violations like headlights burnt out, no plate, expired plate, busted tail lamp, window tint, etc. Crooks are dumb, you'd think if you were wanted for something (armed assult, drug violations, etc) you'd follow every law to the "t." Instead they fuck up on little things like this and that's how they get caught.
Old 07-19-2005 | 06:58 AM
Advanced

Ever wonder how the Police catch people who are wanted? Pulling them over for stupid, yet legit violations like headlights burnt out, no plate, expired plate, busted tail lamp, window tint, etc. Crooks are dumb, you'd think if you were wanted for something (armed assult, drug violations, etc) you'd follow every law to the "t." Instead they fuck up on little things like this and that's how they get caught.
I agree. And one of the BIGGEST things they try to get you for is not wearing SEAT BELTS. But yeah....I would put the plate on the front and get a slick license plate frame to style it a little. I have a frame that says type s. It's not so bad.
Old 07-19-2005 | 10:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JT Money
Just did it yesterday. Another Mo-County head.
Think you could post some pictures, i just want to see how it looks..
Old 07-19-2005 | 01:14 PM
Advanced

Wink How about just flipping it 180 degrees?

I've got an 01CL. Was in a minor car accident a while back (not my fault) and had the front bumper completely repainted as part of the repair. Prior to that, the license plate holder was rubbing the paint off the bumper, so when I got the car back from the shop, I asked them not to mount the license plate back on. When I got it home, I simply took the front plate bracket and turned it upside-down. I lined it up by eye and drilled two holes into the plate bracket at an angle, and went out and bought two bolts that were about 2" long, same diameter as the stock bolts. The plate bracket fits about 99% perfectly against the underside of the bumper lip, and doesn't contact with the bumper at any point except where the bolts are. The car does look a little bit bucktoothed with the bracket under the bumper, but at least the bracket isn't rubbing against the bumper anymore. If anyone wants, I can post a couple pics, but it might take me a few days since my dad's got my digital camera right now. Anyway, hope this helps.

'01
Old 07-19-2005 | 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01cl_blk
I've got an 01CL. Was in a minor car accident a while back (not my fault) and had the front bumper completely repainted as part of the repair. Prior to that, the license plate holder was rubbing the paint off the bumper, so when I got the car back from the shop, I asked them not to mount the license plate back on. When I got it home, I simply took the front plate bracket and turned it upside-down. I lined it up by eye and drilled two holes into the plate bracket at an angle, and went out and bought two bolts that were about 2" long, same diameter as the stock bolts. The plate bracket fits about 99% perfectly against the underside of the bumper lip, and doesn't contact with the bumper at any point except where the bolts are. The car does look a little bit bucktoothed with the bracket under the bumper, but at least the bracket isn't rubbing against the bumper anymore. If anyone wants, I can post a couple pics, but it might take me a few days since my dad's got my digital camera right now. Anyway, hope this helps.

'01
post up some pics
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:24 PM
Advanced

got pulled 2 years ago for front tag. had limo tint . pass him sitting in a school parking lot didnt
think twice. next thing i knew he pulled me. of course i played dumb whats up what i do? he said he notice no front tag and thought the car maybe stolen. but he got a shooting call so he roll and gave me a warning. also mo county people stay awake in the montgomery village area
there are some real asshole! they pull me over for green washer lights. also got pull over for not comming to a complete stop at a flashing red at 3am off of conn. ave . f mo county
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dagreen
they pull me over for green washer lights.
good you deserve to get pulled over for that

also got pull over for not comming to a complete stop at a flashing red at 3am off of conn. ave . f mo county
thats how they catch drunk drivers usually
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:06 PM
Team Owner

got pulled 2 years ago for front tag. had limo tint . pass him sitting in a school parking lot didnt
think twice. next thing i knew he pulled me. of course i played dumb whats up what i do? he said he notice no front tag and thought the car maybe stolen. but he got a shooting call so he roll and gave me a warning. also mo county people stay awake in the montgomery village area
there are some real asshole! they pull me over for green washer lights. also got pull over for not comming to a complete stop at a flashing red at 3am off of conn. ave . f mo county

Montgomery Village = ghetto. A car with illegal green washer lights warrants a traffic stop to check out the occupants/run the tag on the car.

Pretty crazy you are complaining you got pulled over for breaking laws you obviously knew about.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:11 PM
Advanced

i got into a minor accident with my accord about 3-4 years back and as a result the front license plate was knocked off. a week later, before i got it fixed, i got pulled over by a cop on route 1 in college park, i had md tags at the time. i told him about the accident, but i still had to pay a fine.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andyjl
post up some pics
Will do... Probably take a few days though before I get the camera back...

'01
Old 07-19-2005 | 06:39 PM
Advanced

dont think so

Montgomery Village = ghetto. A car with illegal green washer lights warrants a traffic stop to check out the occupants/run the tag on the car.

Pretty crazy you are complaining you got pulled over for breaking laws you obviously knew about.
green is not illegal, if is show the proof! red and blue are my buddy is a pg cop, and i beat the tickit cause green is not on the list. if you can find steve please show me.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:15 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

That was really fucking lame.

And yes, I have mine on. Its the law and not really that big of a deal.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:16 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Just two examples what DC Police will stop you for: If your rear plate is badly scratched,dented or have dead bugs on it=possibly stolen plates moved from the front to the rear and if the rear plate has a heavy tinted cover and can't be read easily.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:25 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
That was really fucking lame.
Never mind, I took that the wrong way.
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
Never mind, I took that the wrong way.

Women
Old 07-20-2005 | 03:15 PM
Instructor

3) Measure license plate

^ There's your write up.
just be careful because altering the license plate (bending/cutting) is also illegal. so are the frames that obscure any part of it (like the state name or stickers). then again .. i've never been nicked for this .. just warned
Old 07-20-2005 | 03:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingerbread
Think you could post some pictures, i just want to see how it looks..
Go to the July 9th MD/DC/VA meet Thread, I took some pictures of a 2nd gen CL with it done. Thats where I got the idea to do mine.
Old 07-20-2005 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

green is not illegal, if is show the proof! red and blue are my buddy is a pg cop, and i beat the tickit cause green is not on the list. if you can find steve please show me.
It's really up to the interpretation of the judge. Under MD Code, Transportation,§ 22-209
a) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(b) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

It can be argued (and is in other states) that these bulbs are "marker lamps" and accordingly must be amber on the front half of the car and red on the back.

Other states (Texas/Florida/CA/NY) also consider these cowl lamps. In which case, read § 22-221. Supplementary lighting equipment:
(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps that:
(1) Emit an amber or white light without glare; and
(2) Are located at or near the front of the vehicle.

It's always up to the interpretation, but do you really want to go through the time and expense to fight it/when you get pulled over again?

Old 07-20-2005 | 04:00 PM
Team Owner

I was refering to the limo tint and running a red light.
Old 07-20-2005 | 06:59 PM
buy my car

although i live in jersey, which has the same law, i dont have my front plate on. i have gotten pulled over 5 times for it, once got a ticket because it was a roadside DOT/safety check and there were no exceptions. but 2 times it saved me from points, i made an illegal right at a major intersection, and only got a front plate ticket(not that i'm bragging but it helped save me from points).

if you go out at night, have a few drinks occasionally, i wouldnt do it. its a reason to pull you over with out you "doing" anything wrong.

Quick Reply: Marylanders: Front plate or no??