low fuel = crappy steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low fuel = crappy steering

ok had some fun steering problems this weekend.. my gas level was between half an quarter empty.. and my steering was shot, it was like driving an american car with too much power steering boost..

what's the deal with this? I realize that we are carrying 60% of 3500lbs on the fron and low fuel would increase the percentage but this shouldn't be a problem in a 30k car.. i had my pontiac grandam for 6 years and this never happened..

pfft.. last acura for me..
Old 06-25-2001, 03:19 PM
6 speed...

never heard of this problem, but curb weight (and weight distribution) are generally determined with a dry tank (among other things) and sans driver, unless otherwise noted. consequently, an empty tank will only bring you closer to the factory curb weight and distribution specs (i.e., filling the tank adds weight to the listed curb weight and shifts the weight distribution rearward).

sounds like you may have some kind of a power steering pump/regulator issue.

[This message has been edited by tankmonkey (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I am pretty sure everyone is going to hate me for this, but CL isn't worth the metal its made out of. Its definately not worth 30K. My car is getting to a point where I am going to try and lemon it. I have rattles coming out of everywhere, my engine sounds like its ready to fall apart, the transmission kick when I take it out of park rivals my friends 89 buick, switching gears takes forever and a day.

Not to mention the fact that I am sick and tired replacing headlights, because they either get stolen or fog up like crazy.

In adition this car definately was not made for NYC since my suspension is starting to give. The leather on the seats is a joke, and cracking already.

And all this in under 14000 miles!!!!

------------------
-
2001 Silver CL-S w/o NAVI

...Get-in, sit down, shut up, HOLD ON....
Old 06-25-2001, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nt5k:
ok had some fun steering problems this weekend.. my gas level was between half an quarter empty.. and my steering was shot, it was like driving an american car with too much power steering boost..

what's the deal with this? I realize that we are carrying 60% of 3500lbs on the fron and low fuel would increase the percentage but this shouldn't be a problem in a 30k car.. i had my pontiac grandam for 6 years and this never happened..

pfft.. last acura for me..
</font>
The difference between a full tank and an empty one is 100 lbs -- that just isn't enough to alter the handling (unless you talking about handling at the limit of adhesion). The full tank -- empty tank can be felt in acceleration too.

I've NEVER felt a difference in steering with full vs. empty.

If this keeps up, it's dealer time...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-25-2001, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arik:
I am pretty sure everyone is going to hate me for this, but CL isn't worth the metal its made out of. Its definately not worth 30K. My car is getting to a point where I am going to try and lemon it. I have rattles coming out of everywhere, my engine sounds like its ready to fall apart, the transmission kick when I take it out of park rivals my friends 89 buick, switching gears takes forever and a day.

Not to mention the fact that I am sick and tired replacing headlights, because they either get stolen or fog up like crazy.

In adition this car definately was not made for NYC since my suspension is starting to give. The leather on the seats is a joke, and cracking already.

</font>
You sure didn't get a "Wednesday" car.

The leather is a "coated leather" and needs to be treated differently than other leathers. A coated leather is not dyed, but has a coating. There is an ongoing discussion in the detailing forum about the Lexol stuff. I mentioned another product that must be special ordered, but I guess it is too late for you (in the preventative care department).

You may be able to have someone fix up your seats -- I just don't know.

As far as the theft issue goes, that is very unfortunate -- sounds like you need a chemical laser bugler system. Something that zaps car thieves like one of those bug lights...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-25-2001, 07:33 PM
Instructor

well i'm taking a trip to the dealer this friday so we'll see what the deal is.. on the phone he didn't seem to know what the problem was either..

and to top all that off the lease price is down to $399 now.. argh..

im still under 14k miles so it's kind of annoying to have stuff like this already..

Old 06-26-2001, 12:55 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arik:

</font>
Damn man, you must have a lemon. Most of the CL's I've seen are mint. Mine is 100%, no problems so far and the tranny shifts smooth and fast for me. Only time it gets a little confused is running between 2<-->3 in sportshift in twisty mountain roads for 2+ hours, then sometimes it will refuse to shift. (Probably overheating, but hell, even my friend's M3 fucked blew when I beat it in the twisties)

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 06-29-2001, 04:36 PM
Instructor

well after 2 hours of waiting they told me "your car seems fine, etc. etc.." so I'm left with a damn oldsmobile unless I add better sways/tires..
pfft whatever..

my moms 13k passat handles better then this tub of lard..