Lost Control on BQE w/ g37

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Control on BQE w/ g37

Sup guys; as i was getting off the brooklyn bridge this guy in his g37 was right on my ass flashing his lights. So right when he passed me i gunned it and was up on his ass. We were doing about 100 dipping in and out of traffic; i don't know what happened..but when i dipped left i lost control (understeer)?. The rear of my car was fish tailing; fortunately i got back control of the car and cooled off. That sucked.
my front rear BBKs saved my ass...

I spend alot of money on my suspension and still.... no good )=

I have 245 tires w/18s
Tein coilovers
Rear Sway
Rear camber kit
strut tower bar

should i order the front sway from excelerate? or would it not make a difference?

dont think i will be ego/pride racing a RWD coupe for awhile lol...

thanks guys..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
What was the weather like? You know NY roads aren't the greatest in the 1st place, especially the BQE so that was your 1st mistake.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

clear and dry that night )=
Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Your going to get flamed. That is the worst place to do that sort of thing.
That road is narrow!. You likely hit a pothole/bump & lost traction in 1 wheel & there you went.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
front sway bar wont do anything. cusco underbody strut?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check alignment.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
PROGRESS RSB.. i have one too but i'm rethinking it.. very very big for our cars @ 24mm

that'll cause u to oversteer a bit
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm not gonna flame for street racing cuz i myself enjoy a good spirited Highway Race, but you picked the wrong place to chase someone lol.

I see you're in queens though, i'd like to get a lil something going (under much safer conditions of course) once my new motor setup is done to guage 1st vs 2nd gen. Maybe i can show you the proper places to conduct something like that where you'll put much less risk on your car and surroundings since me and my crew roam queens alot when i'm there
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Tires...

This is probably the most over looked need for a car.

Bad tires and nothing else on the car matters when it comes to handling at high speeds
Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pits200
Tires...
thats a great point and ill be the first to admit i've never thought about it that way, and the way some of us push our 3800lb. car around on this forum, they are probably never quite good enough.

with all your suspension work, I'd check this out asap...and be honest on tread rating.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Well since no one else is gonna flame him, I'll do it. You're a f*cking reject for doing 100+ MPH in that area, especially against a G37 which you'd obviously have no chance against. Stop being a juvinile jack off by racing in and out of traffic like that and you won't have to worry about doing anything to your suspension and won't kill an innocent driver that had nothing to do with your lame ass. There you go.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

No, youve got it wrong, a strut tower brace on the front will give you oversteer, while one on the rear will give you understeer, I know it doesnt make sense, but thats the way it is. You also didnt understeer when you lost control, you had oversteer. Just having more airpressure in the front tires than the rear tires can make the rear end come loose, thats what I would check first, but everybody else is right that road sucks. It might also be that your suspension is too stiff meaning not compressing enough and putting too much down to the ground.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
street racing kills. havent you ever notice that the speeders dont get hurt but innocent people die? and you admitted there was traffic since you guys are weaving in and out. let him die or get the ticket, not you. you only live once, dont end it by doing something reckless and killing people with you.

if you did start to fishtail or skid, you need to correct the skid, not brake. braking will only make you spin out. and doesnt the CLS-6 have traction control? or does the limited slip diff. replace that? cause i know they dont have VSA.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TSXACE
No, youve got it wrong, a strut tower brace on the front will give you oversteer, while one on the rear will give you understeer...
How is a strut brace going to give oversteer....and how do you put one on the rear?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXACE
No, youve got it wrong, a strut tower brace on the front will give you oversteer, while one on the rear will give you understeer, I know it doesnt make sense, but thats the way it is. You also didnt understeer when you lost control, you had oversteer. Just having more airpressure in the front tires than the rear tires can make the rear end come loose, thats what I would check first, but everybody else is right that road sucks. It might also be that your suspension is too stiff meaning not compressing enough and putting too much down to the ground.

he never asked about an STB
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
You likely hit a pothole/bump & lost traction in 1 wheel & there you went.
My thoughts exactly
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
6spder

i call tires too. and i've been saying it forever to everyone too, tires tires tires.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Racer

Ok, i'm not flaming you, but i'm not gonna not say something here, you did something stupid, and as friends(which we all are on this forum, sort of...) we should let you know that before you kill yourself. Putting another part on your car is not gonna prevent you from loosing control if you are being an idiot. Plain and simple. This is refering to you question of if you should order a sway bar, i spent a lot on suspension but still no good etc. Your parts did not fail you, you failed yourself. Though by your post i can tell you realize you messed up.

YOU DROVE BEYOND YOUR ABILITY, realize that you had no business doing what you were doing. If you started fishtailing on the highway when switching lanes you messed up big time and were probably way too jerky w/ your movements. You are not as good of a driver as you think you are, realize this, and respect the fact that next time something like this happens you could die, and kill other innocent people. You can have fun w/ you car without endangering your life. Just think a little more of what may happen when your driving out there, ok, nuff said.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Making it Happen

Since we're now talking abotu tires...im due soon, anything better for performance/price than the toyo T1-R? Got in an accident in the rain most likely due to my general ultra high performance tires which suck but were mad cheap.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 AM
SOLD

Probably tires/road/CL steering --> If the CL's steering was a pussy, you could stick a boxing glove up there with how loose it is.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Well since no one else is gonna flame him, I'll do it. You're a f*cking reject for doing 100+ MPH in that area, especially against a G37 which you'd obviously have no chance against. Stop being a juvinile jack off by racing in and out of traffic like that and you won't have to worry about doing anything to your suspension and won't kill an innocent driver that had nothing to do with your lame ass. There you go.
cosign.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Renegade
Since we're now talking abotu tires...im due soon, anything better for performance/price than the toyo T1-R? Got in an accident in the rain most likely due to my general ultra high performance tires which suck but were mad cheap.

The general's seem to be a good tire to me. Pumped up to 38PSI cold. I have no problems. The softer sidewall is actually a benefit because I can drift the car around sharp turns feathering the throttle. They will squeal, but I have control.
When these go I will likely try something different. I will not be getting the t1r's. I think they suck compared to the t1s. And I let toyo know my thoughts in a letter.

But to the OP, tires are a big part. So is your tire pressure.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
6spder

The general's seem to be a good tire to me. Pumped up to 38PSI cold. I have no problems. The softer sidewall is actually a benefit because I can drift the car around sharp turns feathering the throttle. They will squeal, but I have control.
When these go I will likely try something different. I will not be getting the t1r's. I think they suck compared to the t1s. And I let toyo know my thoughts in a letter.

i love my t1-r's. i autox, they are awesome. i keep them at 40psi even also. they do squeal sometimes but you have control meanwhile, i've noticed this with many different toyo's i've had in the last few years. (the squealing), I'm getting R compound thou for my next set....
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Banned

^^fuzzy, what's your complaint with toyos?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I hope when you do manage to kill yourself you're the only one involved and that it's nice and slow so you have long, painful period to come to the realization that you are indeed a stupid fuck. You suck at driving and got lucky. You will fail and pay for it eventually.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I now drive an accord....

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Flame on...
OP should have his license revoked
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its not your suspension, or your tires, Its the DRIVER. Go take a driving class at a race track and really learn how to drive and handle your car in a save environment.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Racer

BQE not the best place to do this, save it for the cross island. Be safe out there fella.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by OrngeAc3.2
^^fuzzy, what's your complaint with toyos?
The T1S was a performance tire. They had a stiff sidewall. They had very good traction wet & dry. I had 3 sets of these tires & loved them.

They changed to the T1R & made the tire less aggressive to increase ride quality & wear. This made the tire softer & I feel they don't grip as well as the old tires. I had only 1 set & noticed the difference once I went past 1K miles of use. If you never had the T1S you likely wouldn't have a complaint.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I will never come back to this thread, so dont bother with a response.

you are a dumbass.

kthxbye.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got the generals and they're pretty good for their price. softer sidewalls aren't for performance imo, they're for comfort. summer tires usually all have stiff sidewalls which are better for cornering.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face

Its ok to have fun from time to time, but be carefull out there. Im glad nothing happened but experiences like that make you think don't they?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Drifting

^^^ One would hope so but I doubt it registered much in his pea sized brain.

Hopefully some LEO will wander across this thread and take this idiot's car and license away before he kills some one.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

:rotfl: @ the in and out flammings...funny how everyone one is a perfect driver and has never pushed their car to a limit they couldnt handle...not saying the op is right for doing what he did...but im not gonna act like im a saint and curse them out... do what you do tho

Like greenie said tires are mad important and so is pressure...i remember i was just getting onto a ramp with no suspension...it was a little wet i was going around a car around 40 mph and spun out of control...didnt hit anything and was scared shitless of taking ramps like that and didnt for a good while...then i got the full comptech sway kit...so this time same situation but i was pushing it...once again got lucky...both times after some reasearching...i realized it was my tires being underpressured or bad...also oversteering and as one member said

" You are not as good of a driver as you think you are"
yes that is true...so do take those points into consideration when you are out there endagering lives including your own...

other than that...drive the hell out that bitch and anytime a g37 wants it give it to them well paid bastards...fucking rear wheel drive cars...i hate them...yea im jealous so what...lol
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
:rotfl: @ the in and out flammings...funny how everyone one is a perfect driver and has never pushed their car to a limit they couldnt handle...not saying the op is right for doing what he did...but im not gonna act like im a saint and curse them out... do what you do tho

Like greenie said tires are mad important and so is pressure...i remember i was just getting onto a ramp with no suspension...it was a little wet i was going around a car around 40 mph and spun out of control...didnt hit anything and was scared shitless of taking ramps like that and didnt for a good while...then i got the full comptech sway kit...so this time same situation but i was pushing it...once again got lucky...both times after some reasearching...i realized it was my tires being underpressured or bad...also oversteering and as one member said

yes that is true...so do take those points into consideration when you are out there endagering lives including your own...

other than that...drive the hell out that bitch and anytime a g37 wants it give it to them well paid bastards...fucking rear wheel drive cars...i hate them...yea im jealous so what...lol
lmao u know how we drive!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
hmm...

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703

Ahh yes, we all drive stupid from time to time. But not doing 100 on a bridge in NY with traffic. Don't drive that dumb, you're not just risking your life, but lives of others. Kid I used to play baseball with just had his mom and sister killed in a hit and run, from a person trying to pass on the shoulder at 90+. Call up the G and race em at a strip Not to mention safety, wWhether you win or lose, at least you'll have a legit race, not an outrun.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll join the crew that thinks you were acting like an idiot.

1) You can't drive nearly as well as you think you can.

2) You may THINK you were in control, but what happens when some poor slob, who's driving along minding his own business, sees you coming up in his mirror and zigs when you zag? Probably both of you are seriously injured or dead.

3) The previously mentioned pot hole or other stuff on/in the road that you'll never, ever, see in time at 100 MPH at night.

I don't have a problem with speeding on the public roads, do it myself. Driving crazy and weaving in and out of traffic is another thing entirely. This is one time the cops should be out in force and reward you for endangering all of the other people on the road that night.

You want to race? Join a car club and participate at a track day at a real race track. You might actually learn how to be a good and responsible driver.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
East Coast Crew

Harrison, don't switch lanes that hard and check out the tire pressures. Lower tire pressure will allow you to have more grip. The BQE have pretty poor roads since they are concrete.

To the others: If you do not have anything to contribute to how he can get better handling then please keep it to yourself. There have been enough posts that deals about being flamed when street racing. A massive amount of people telling him that he's an idiot is not going to make him stop racing.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

I was stupid for doing what i did; that i admit. Some of you flamers are just redundant. I do not normally drive that way. What i did was impulsive because of a person in a G who caught me on a bad day; which made it even worse. You guys just drilled it into my head; thanks. No reason for me to be chasing after a dumbass; makes me one also.....

looks like no more modding for me

Quick Reply: Lost Control on BQE w/ g37